Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

I prefer Skinny Man on a Vriginia* on a fog*HOOOONNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK*

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

E: EAB markers for scale

lol yep feel free to call me a skimmer puke idgaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

US Berder Patrol posted:

lol yep feel free to call me a skimmer puke idgaf

ok, you're a skimmer puke idgaf

:dadjoke:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

they gave me and another guy racks in cses because the torpedo room was full of hotracking riders already

edit : it was really cool when we pulled into port because they had to remove the racks and we had no place to sleep since it "wasn't an authorized place for racks - cob"

ded fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 22, 2023

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Fast attacks are so fun.

The TR berthing on VAs is actually pretty nice, if they give you the right stuff, they make rack skids that slot right where torpedos go, you have to deal with the lights being on 24/7, and TMs on watch who never shut the gently caress up, but at least the room's clean, you get a curtains, and they're all head-to-toe so you're not touching your neighbor.

On the ither hand, you'd be convicted of crimes, even in the US, for making prisoners sleep in the TR berthing how it was on the 22, 12 rack mattresses arranged in a 2X6 square, no dividers, you literally have to crawl over sleeping sailors to get to some of the mattresses, you touch the people on both sides of you while you're asleep*. The lower level of the TR is also extremely unsanitary, A-Gang regularly blows raw sewage from the san tanks into the bilge, and does an inadequate job cleaning up, so there is dried piss an poo poo literally caking the bilge 3' below the racks. It is a dank, reeking hole, and forcing people to sleep there is an incredibly hosed up thing to do. I was one of the senior most E6 on board, so I had my own rack, but my heart loving broke for the dudes living down there.

*at least they tried to work the watch rotations so you often wouldn't have to cuddle your shipmates to sleep, since they were on watch.

ded posted:

they gave me and another guy racks in cses because the torpedo room was full of hotracking riders already

edit : it was really cool when we pulled into port because they had to remove the racks and we had no place to sleep since it "wasn't an authorized place for racks - cob"

Did they at least have a hotrack hotel or barracks rooms to compensate? Or did COB just give so little of a poo poo that they didn't even do that?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
On one of my Ohio-class tours we thought we might have to resort to hotracking but we ended up just leaving people ashore so that all ~220 people onboard had their own rack.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I rode an Ohio for testing, and they set me and my Chief/buddy up with a literal entire berthing to ourselves, we made a couch out of laundry bags and binge watched TV for the whole underway, or played cribbage in Crew's Lounge.

I, of course, complained about how easy the boomer life is the whole time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

Fast attacks are so fun.

The TR berthing on VAs is actually pretty nice, if they give you the right stuff, they make rack skids that slot right where torpedos go, you have to deal with the lights being on 24/7, and TMs on watch who never shut the gently caress up, but at least the room's clean, you get a curtains, and they're all head-to-toe so you're not touching your neighbor.

On the ither hand, you'd be convicted of crimes, even in the US, for making prisoners sleep in the TR berthing how it was on the 22, 12 rack mattresses arranged in a 2X6 square, no dividers, you literally have to crawl over sleeping sailors to get to some of the mattresses, you touch the people on both sides of you while you're asleep*. The lower level of the TR is also extremely unsanitary, A-Gang regularly blows raw sewage from the san tanks into the bilge, and does an inadequate job cleaning up, so there is dried piss an poo poo literally caking the bilge 3' below the racks. It is a dank, reeking hole, and forcing people to sleep there is an incredibly hosed up thing to do. I was one of the senior most E6 on board, so I had my own rack, but my heart loving broke for the dudes living down there.

*at least they tried to work the watch rotations so you often wouldn't have to cuddle your shipmates to sleep, since they were on watch.

Did they at least have a hotrack hotel or barracks rooms to compensate? Or did COB just give so little of a poo poo that they didn't even do that?

The riders (all the ct's) got rooms. We got assigned temp bunks in port and a chief and jo who had racks in regular berthing got rooms.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lol, hooyah.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah no you can gently caress off with that fast attack bullshit.

Funny thing is that they tried to make me a submarine missile tech before I went IT, said my score spread was more of a fit for a missile tech and I was like "but I'd have to go underwater" "Oh you get sub pay" "how much?" "Like $100/mo" "Nah gently caress that poo poo lol"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Being a CT/DSE rider seemed like a cushy job until I realized they were rotated from boat to boat nearly continuously so they were always at sea on mission. So getting good accomodations was the smallest generosity. But having slightly better accomodations meant that in a crew that was already sour they'd treat the riders lovely. It's circular evil navy fuckery

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

"Skinny Man", a 24 man berthing, so called because it's so narrow that my shoulders do not fit straight between the racks, and have to leave to turn to face the other way, and has special panels to stick firehoses in, because you can't fit safely in an SCBA, is where Control would be on an '88, directly below, and directly aft the bridge access hatch, so on foggy, surfaced, days you get blasted by the ship's whistle every few minutes, especially the fwd racks. I think this is why my ears are ringing, sitting in a dead silent house posting

Ever roll out of the rack in the morning and smack the guy below you or across with you donger?

What about by accident?

gently caress subs

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Elviscat posted:

:stare:

Ooof

It's always fun doing a repo on a P-8 with a full maintenance detachment, as soon as the fasten seatbelt light is off, it looks like a scene out of The Happening in the back, all the crew grabbing engine coverings and seat cushions to make makeshift beds. A couple of big big-brained shorter guys would sometimes manage to rig up full-on hammocks in the back.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

M_Gargantua posted:

Being a CT/DSE rider seemed like a cushy job until I realized they were rotated from boat to boat nearly continuously so they were always at sea on mission. So getting good accomodations was the smallest generosity. But having slightly better accomodations meant that in a crew that was already sour they'd treat the riders lovely. It's circular evil navy fuckery

Other than the torpedo room hot racking we treated the crypto riders ok. They seriously crammed too many of them on our boat it was close to 30 of them and we had a torpedo room full of mines. A few of the dudes even got sub quals done.

I never saw the inside of radio but I bet it was really loving cramped with them + the radio guy + an officer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Ever roll out of the rack in the morning and smack the guy below you or across with you donger?

What about by accident?

gently caress subs

Not big enough :(

I did get my dick grabbed (on accident) and my toes finger-blasted (on purpose) by a wet finger tho.

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, I feel for those dudes, tons of sea time, rotating from one boat to another, with crews that treat you with varying degrees of hostility. At least they don't have to fix the loving boat or stand duty when it pulls back in.

The worst one was when we loaded a full crew of 'em, took off for a 60 day mission, and then just didn't use them. At all. The day they got on board we were reassigned, ended up doing 90+ days, and the dudes had literally nothing to do but wander around and shoot the poo poo with the nukes, cooks, and A-gangers, without a rack, 12 hours a day.

They pretty much all qualified submarines though! I was sitting a board almost every day for the last couple weeks. Most of them even had snacks and dip saved to bribe us with!

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, I feel for those dudes, tons of sea time, rotating from one boat to another, with crews that treat you with varying degrees of hostility. At least they don't have to fix the loving boat or stand duty when it pulls back in.

We generally treated them pretty well on my boat. We realized they were stuck in the same hell as us, and they were there to do a job, like we were. Apparently they remembered because one of the times they came, they gifted our boat a PS4 right after they released, for our boat to keep. And we didn't mind helping them qualify subs, since we realized they had to qualify on a whole myriad of different system designs and variations.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle
Being a rider was a lot cooler 30 years ago. Our command at Rota, Spain was still open, so a shitload of us (the people I went through almost two years of training with) ended up there riding boats or skimmers (sometimes both), or flying in P-3s all over the Med. They used to fly us mostly military, so we'd leave Spain on the first available flight the week of the underway, taking off in the morning and making it to usually Italy or Greece by lunch/early afternoon. We'd get our hotel rooms and then basically party until the boat got underway, usually on a Saturday. Missions were shorter back then, so we'd be gone at the most six weeks and then we'd BSP or get off the boat when it hit port again. Then we'd check the local Navy air terminal for flights back to Rota, so we might have a day or two before we flew back home. Sometimes we'd pull in somewhere where there weren't any nearby military air facilities, so the guys back in the shop would book us commercial air travel back.

Then near the end of the 90s/beginning of the 2000s, all those cool overseas duty stations ended up closing. Even by the time I went in, places like Reykjavik, Edzell (Scotland), San Vito (Italy), and Sinop (Turkey) were already decommissioned and completely shuttered. They would do the same to Rota by the time I ended up in Bahrain in the mid 2000s.

Now everyone basically rides (or otherwise deploys) out of Ft. Meade, MD; Ft. Gordon, GA; Randolph AFB, TX; or Kunia, HI. My last operational tour was out of Georgia and it was pretty rough. The way the schedule ended up working out, I was gone for 8 out of 12 months in 2010. The travel was appreciably worse than it had been "back in the day". It was always commercial and it always took almost an entire day to make it to the Persian Gulf. We would get the puddle-hopper to Atlanta, then fly to Amsterdam where we'd pick up KLM for the last leg into Bahrain. Then, 4-6 months later when the mission was over, we'd end up in Dubai either by pulling into Jebel Ali or getting off on a BSP in Fujaira. We'd usually have one night in a hotel room, then fly out of Dubai on a 17-hour, non-stop flight to Atlanta.

Then in February 2011, I got the less than 48-hour notice to cobble a team together to fly out to Italy and support one of the boats that was going to fire missiles into Libya. The only bonus there was I got the chance to go back and see Souda Bay, Crete and Rota one last time before retiring.

Just a few memories from an old CT sub rider.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I was a surface direct support and the sub guys always tried to convince me to take a sub trip.

Probably because it would lessen their optempo

I told em to gently caress right off with that nonsense

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I slept in the torpedo room a few times, the best was when there was no space for a rack and someone dug up a viet nam era hammock tent for me. Sleeping in a hammock for 3 weeks felt very age of sail to me, and then i got a week at a little b&b in portsmouth to make up for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Laranzu posted:

I was a surface direct support and the sub guys always tried to convince me to take a sub trip.

Probably because it would lessen their optempo

I told em to gently caress right off with that nonsense

On my 2011-12 Gator Navy deployment, we had a direct support CT type who was getting near retirement. He was telling us about the pre-9/11 Med deployments of just port hoping and carousing while we were siting off Libya and then off Yemen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

On my 2011-12 Gator Navy deployment, we had a direct support CT type who was getting near retirement. He was telling us about the pre-9/11 Med deployments of just port hoping and carousing while we were siting off Libya and then off Yemen.

Eh... it could be pretty chill even post-9/11, but drinking in Chania is risky, one of our engineers got a bloody nose from some local boys after they found out he was a NATO sailor :haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Join the Submarine Force!

Port calls and carousing in the Med no 90+ day missions.

Oops, we meant Port calls and carousing in the Med? No! 90+ day missions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There are still orders like that. I’m thinking of mobilizing again in 2025. Anyone wanna be shipmates?
lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm about 100% sure my disability rating precludes me ever going active or reserves again.

Is almost think of it for a tour of the Med though, always wanted to get down there.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I'm about 100% sure my disability rating precludes me ever going active or reserves again.

Is almost think of it for a tour of the Med though, always wanted to get down there.

Let’s just grab a beer again then. I’ll be back from San Diego this weekend.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SSBN-731 captain relieved of command.

Navy’s “Lack of confidence” is the only official reason given.

What might be actual reasons this could happen? Too many sailors requesting mast over things he’s done/problems with him, or something like that?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrMojok posted:

What might be actual reasons this could happen? Too many sailors requesting mast over things he’s done/problems with him, or something like that?

https://news.usni.org/2023/09/25/ballistic-missile-submarine-uss-alabama-co-removed-from-command

quote:

The commander of Submarine Group 9 relieved the commanding officer of the nuclear ballistic missile submarine USS Alabama (SSBN-731), the Navy announced Monday.

Rear Adm. Nicholas Tilbrook relieved Cmdr. Michael Lyle, the Blue Crew commanding officer of Alabama, due to a lack of confidence in his ability to lead the submarine, according to the Nav press release.

A Navy official told USNI News that the relief was due to performance concerns, not misconduct. No other details were available.

Deputy Commodore of Commander, Submarine Squadron 17, Cmdr. Larry Arbuckle temporarily assumed command until a new commanding officer was appointed. The Navy press release did not say where Lyle would be assigned.

“Navy commanding officers are held to high standards of personal and professional conduct. They are expected to uphold the highest standards of responsibility, reliability and leadership, and the Navy holds them accountable when they fall short of those standards,” reads the release.

Lyle served as the 18th commanding officer for the submarine’s Blue Crew. He previously served on nuclear the attack boat USS Houston (SSN-713) as a division officer, on USS Buffalo (SSN-715) as the weapons officer and on the boomer USS Louisiana (SSBN-743) as the executive officer. He also served as the operations officer (N3) for Task Force 69.

He assumed command of Alabama on Aug. 19, 2022, according to the Navy.

The submarine is based in Washington state.

Looks like he took command in August of last year. What sort of "performance concerns" would get a boat skipper relieved?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MrMojok posted:

Loss of confidence in the ability to command is a catch all, it could be anything from war crimes to fudging paperwork, with every kind of rape and mistake you can imagine in between.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Elviscat posted:

My good sir have you heard about the opportunities in the US Merchant Marine

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Loss of confidence in the ability to command is a catch all, it could be anything from war crimes to fudging paperwork, with every kind of rape and mistake you can imagine in between.

I see. Thank you.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MrMojok posted:

The XO relieved the CO mid patrol and then damage from a rogue Russian Akula almost caused an inadvertent nuclear strike.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Flikken posted:

The XO relieved the CO mid patrol and then damage from a rogue Russian Akula almost caused an inadvertent nuclear strike.

Yeah, I have to admit when I first saw the story, the first thing I thought of was Gene Hackman’s voice, saying “Mister Hunter… I've made a decision. I'm Captain of this boat. NOW SHUT THE gently caress UP!”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrMojok posted:

Denzel tried to warn us.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Gene Hackman did nothing wrong. The President should have never ordered a nuclear strike if there was a possibility he'd change his mind 10 minutes later.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can not remember now why I was in the Norfolk Naval Complex Zone of Despair, but remember I had to pick up a prescription while I was there at the Portsmouth Naval Hospital and the pharmacy tech, an HM1, seized my CAC. The outermost layer of clear plastic was ragged and peeling from sliding it in and out of my wallet, which he said was evidence that I had tampered with it. He made me wait there until an MA arrived, who gave it a quick glance front and back, told me to get a new one, and handed it back to me and then turned and left. The HM1 gave me an admonishment about my attitude before ordering one of his corpsmen to dispense my medication

Edit: I wish I had some nice memory of Norfolk, but the whole place is bad vibes for me

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 26, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
When I was retiring from Portsmouth Hospital Bullshittery, my command took every chance to gently caress with me. At one point I ws told I would have to extend past my EAOS to retire, then I was told that I wasn't ELIGIBLE to retire even though I had the message, and kept a copy on me for the 12 or so months I had it (was it 18? long time ago, sorry). They even went as far as to say that civilians that worked at the command were not allowed to go to my ceremony, which got straightened out pretty quick since my ex was a GS worker in the Labor Relations dept at Oceana and had a real solid knowledge of how wrong that was. There was a lot more but I don't want to bore anyone with the pettiness or the story about how I got called in to meet with the Admiral a week before my actual EAOS even though I had been on separation leave for two weeks.

Anyway I was at PSD a LOT. When the day finally came, the nice lady that took my retirement ID picture was a friend of someone I worked with and knew how terrible of a time I had. I asked her if I could smile and she told me that she thought I deserved it. So this is my official retirement ID card picture.

In the last 12 years I have received 99.9% positive feedback from anyone who has to check my ID. One vet looked at me in disgust and said, "oh, you're a joker huh?" and walked away as I asked him if he wanted to know how I got these scars. Most recently though, I had to go with my wife so she could get her ID card renewed. We go to the Air Force Reserve base/station nearby instead of the Navy outpost because it turns out the Air Force people are just generally in better moods. Except for the E6 that I had to hand my card to. He threatened to keep it to make me get a new one and I realized he was serious when I started laughing and he didn't. I told him that I know I will have to get one in the next couple of years, so we could take care of that at a later date.

I can absolutely believe that story about the HM1 at the hospital.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Something like 50% of my coworkers are AF vets, and they are universally significantly happier with their service than any of the Navy, Army or Corps vets.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I just found out that my Chief for the last year or so, probably the best Chief I've ever known, who I learned a ton from, has terminal cancer. He's younger than me by like 3 years. loving sucks, he was going to make Master Chief no question. A super solid dude. Was one of the least Joe Navy people you'd ever meet, and while Philipino, was vehemently anti-Mafia.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 26, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just found out that my Chief for the last year or so, probably the best Chief I've ever known, who I learned a ton from, has terminal cancer. He's younger than me by like 3 years. loving sucks, he was going to make Master Chief no question. A super solid dude. Was one of the least Joe Navy people you'd ever meet, and while Philipino, was vehemently anti-Mafia.

gently caress that’s terrible. Give him a hug from internet strangers.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
quote is not edit

Sorry bout your cool chief mr bad guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
just a reminder

ftn