Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah zun saying you can just sell games using the characters he doesnt give a gently caress has led to some amazing stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

It's also really handy to have a bunch of character designs and gameplay gimmicks because the Touhous all have distinct powers and theming.
also helps music-wise because you can just remix existing songs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Man, I was trying so hard not to care about this game in particular...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

https://twitter.com/MarshSMT/status/1705237868845650148

Glowing praise from a good SMT youtuber so I'd say it's probably worth checking out

Having just played SMT1, I can't think of anything less appealing than telling me a brand new video game plays like it.

Unless they mean like dungeon crawling and the story? Like it's Strange Journey/Redux or something?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Classic SMT is a great time. I will however never play a Touhou game

The title implying it takes place in SMTII's false heaven computer program is hilarious though.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 22, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
look at this cuck who won't play GOTY labyrinth of touhou 3 when it comes out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

With there being a Paper Mario: TYD remake coming next year now, I'm super hopeful that those Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance rumors turn out to be correct as well someday.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Touhou puppet dance performance shard of dreams is extremely good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

just say you hate women and go. smh

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
my issue with puppet dance performance was that I couldn’t keep straight the types of any of the touhous, nor the type chart

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Regarding Octopath 2 starter chat: I went with Ochette because she can generate items you can sell for a decent amount. Long term economic advantage, and this is a game with some decent money sinks. Getting a jellyfish early also makes her a very comfortable solo character. You won’t have any worries about attrition until your party gets bigger. As far as her character/story goes, I find her really likeable

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

The title implying it takes place in SMTII's false heaven computer program is hilarious though.

He posts with a loving Umineko avatar. What the gently caress could you have against Touhou.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Epic Contrarian Guy strikes again. Zuh...Good things..are actually bad!?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So they added a new character who was only introduced a month ago?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Ibram Gaunt posted:

everyones saying it lately

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

So they added a new character who was only introduced a month ago?
tbf not that hard just to make a sprite and skillset

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it's not hard, it's just kinda funny to imagine them squeezing it in at the last second.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So either I'm really slow or Wandering Sword is a lot longer than I expected. I'm at around 45 hours and I just (northern spoilers) That one dude who went crazy in the cave under the town, Cao?. I do spend a lot of time just running around and looking at things, fishing, etc. I dislike all the forced losses when I'm clearly, functionally more powerful than the bosses, but I can just tell myself I'm playing a budget Trails offshoot.

Now that I'm mining Siderite, I've been able to craft some really, really broken items. Crafting is the real power ceiling in this game, IMO. The sect masters have been total pushovers and once you get some of their skills in the process, nothing can really stand toe to toe with Yuwen. My party is almost superfluous at this point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Its true. It's drat true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished chapter 4 of Nayuta: Boundless Trails, extremely fun game, shame Falcom don't do smaller titles like this any more, even Ys has to be 60 hours long.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They really nailed the way movement works in that Touhou game, SMT has a very distinct way that you move, a sort of lumbering forward motion with a pause in between each forward movement, and the way you turn in a sort of half step.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

After an hour or so of grinding, I tried the 3rd boss in Another Crusade. It's a big monster t-rex puppet, three or four different attacks, the only gimmick being that it gets more actions as it runs out of HP. You need to damage race it down once it gets more turns than you do. The boss fight was fine, but I was definitely overleveled compared to what was reasonable.

The limited field of vision and poor signposting of when exactly the fight zone starts also meant that I bumbled in without assigning my last level up, even though I knew roughly where the dino lair was from visiting previously.

The game's charm is wearing thin, and I definitely cannot recommend. They want me to go interact with kickstarter backer NPCs for the secret collectible quest, and I find the presentation a little irritating. Still gonna press on and try hitting the fourth boss, though. My mage picked up a good area attack spell with an easy action command, so grinding while listening to podcasts is fairly easy now.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally the pros for each character:

Hikari: Absurd upfront damage, shockingly flexible in terms of damage dealing with some reasonable support/shield breaking
Ochette: Strong overall damage, incredible flexible in terms of damage, support and shield breaking
Cassti: Access to her crazy mixes and overall good healing
Throne: Strong damage dealer
Temenos: Strong healer.
Agnea: Can bring people along with her for hilariously strong buffs
Partitio: Fuckin' banger theme, lots of options for making things cheaper, is a very good boy
Osvald: No real good reasons to be party leader but Mug is probably the best path action in the game.

gently caress, fewer games need to come out. I haven't even gotten to start Wandering Sword yet.

Castti is also a surprisingly good physical attacker; she gets an AoE axe attack, and it's fairly easy to buy a near-endgame-quality axe in Chapter 1 if you can scrounge together the money for it. Plus one of her early passives gives her back 30% of her SP at the end of every battle, so once you have her set up she's basically a one-button solution to all random encounters up through Chapter 2 or so. Inquire is always a nice path action to have available, too. I started with Throne, but in hindsight I probably would have gone with Castti.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Castti's unique attack is extremely strong too. You barely need any setup and it will do bonkers damage.

People never talk about it, not sure why. There's better things to do with her turns later on in the game I guess but as an MC it completely ohko'd so many bosses for me.

Maybe that's a criticism of the difficulty level of the game than a praise for Castti idk

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'd say it's more of a strength than a weakness, everyone's got their own little tricks

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Snooze Cruise posted:

look at this cuck who won't play GOTY labyrinth of touhou 3 when it comes out

Whoa hold up what? They're making a labyrinth of touhou 3?

Edit: I googled it and it's apparently coming out in late 2023/early 2024 AND the dev is working with a translator to get an English version out ASAP? gently caress yessss

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 23, 2023

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
didnt the touhou gacha game fail though? which is unexpected

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

No it's fine

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

didnt the touhou gacha game fail though? which is unexpected
there were three touhou gacha games. one was a rhythm game, one was a weird board game thing, one was a traditional rpg. the first one died but was resurrected as a single player game, the second one died, the third one is doing fine.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao i forgot about the board game one

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
touhou cannonball prob wouldve done fine if the gameplay were even slightly better lol. truly a weird one

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I ripped all the music before the game went down

Probably the best part of it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have a jrpg crime to confess to, which is that I cannot for the life of me get into Suikoden 3 no matter how many times I try. It’s soooo sluggish and cumbersome in a way the first two games weren’t

I’ve actually made it farther into Suikoden 4 than 3

IDK when 3 came out but it feels like a launch era PS2 game and one that especially couldn’t figure out the ps2 hardware because the framerate is all over the place

e: I also remember when trying it natively originally that the resolution would drop from 480 to 240 at times too, especially in towns. woof!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 23, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The 7th Guest posted:

I have a jrpg crime to confess to, which is that I cannot for the life of me get into Suikoden 3 no matter how many times I try. It’s soooo sluggish and cumbersome in a way the first two games weren’t

I’ve actually made it farther into Suikoden 4 than 3

IDK when 3 came out but it feels like a launch era PS2 game and one that especially couldn’t figure out the ps2 hardware because the framerate is all over the place

e: I also remember when trying it natively originally that the resolution would drop from 480 to 240 at times too, especially in towns. woof!!!

I mean that's kind of weird that you don't like the third best suikoden game, but I don't think it's actually a crime.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Granted I don’t have 5 and never will because of physical price gouging, but to me 3 has been the worst experience I’ve had in the series. Though maybe I should play the tactics one since ppl say that one is dire too

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Clearly you should play Tierkiresises

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Granted I don’t have 5 and never will because of physical price gouging, but to me 3 has been the worst experience I’ve had in the series. Though maybe I should play the tactics one since ppl say that one is dire too
do they? i like tactics. its incredibly cheap production values wise but the gameplay and writing are decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Folks seem to like Tactics way more than 4, for what that's worth.