Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

my loving pharmacy doesn't stock Paxlovid so I get to go to a different one in the morning. at least I'm still feeling fine

but I feel that motherfucker trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gunshow Poophole posted:

and you're gonna be a good lil biochemistry machine and take all your remaining doses so your immune system gets its best chance possible

oui

taking some now

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I command you to flee this body

flee this body

flee this body

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sonatinas posted:

you’re welcome! another parent I know is getting their kid a shot tomorrow, there dozens of us!

lol now we just need one for our 4yo

euphronius posted:

I’m like symptom free after 48 hours of paxlovid

it’s the best drug ever

it really is incredible

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Can confirm, Pax is great and eliminated my symptoms fast. kinda sucks stopping both THC and CBD consumption for the duration I'm taking it but whatever, my long term health matters more here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s ok I just substituted wine for weed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I watched Delta kill people I loved

you're no Delta

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

U-DO Burger posted:

Can confirm, Pax is great and eliminated my symptoms fast. kinda sucks stopping both THC and CBD consumption for the duration I'm taking it but whatever, my long term health matters more here

it’s a t-break

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Seems bad.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/22/health/covid-hospitalizations-seniors-kids-vaccines/index.html posted:

As Covid-19 hospitalizations climb, rates among seniors and children raise concern

Covid-19 hospitalizations have been on the rise in the United States for months, with weekly admissions now more than triple what they were two months ago. Seniors have the highest rates of Covid hospitalizations by far, but hospitalizations among children — especially among those younger than 5 — are rising fast.

More than 20,500 people in the US were admitted to the hospital with Covid-19 during the week ending September 9, according to data from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – about 8% higher than the week before.

“We haven’t really seen this for many months, but we’re starting to see people come into the hospital critically ill,” said CNN medical analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a cardiologist and professor of medicine and surgery at George Washington University. “There needs to be a greater sense of urgency because deaths are rising, hospitalizations are rising.”
(..)
Who’s hospitalized now
Nationally, more than half of new Covid-19 hospital admissions were among people age 70 and older, and more than two-thirds are among people age 60 and older, according to the latest CDC data.

But a new analysis of federal data from the American Academy of Pediatrics showed hospital admissions among children are rising faster than average. Nearly 1,200 children were admitted to the hospital with Covid-19 during the week ending September 9, marking a five-fold increase over the past three months. Hospitalizations among adults increased about three-fold in that same time period.

Admissions among children remain below previous pandemic peaks. There were about 1,800 new pediatric admissions in a week at the height of last winter’s wave, and more than 6,500 weekly admissions during Omicron, the AAP analysis shows.

Children accounted for 6% of all Covid-19 hospital admissions during the week ending September 9, federal data shows. And children under 5 were the most at risk, with about half of all pediatric Covid-19 hospitalizations among those younger than 5, according to the AAP analysis.

“This increase in hospitalizations, especially for the youngest children, is very concerning,” said Dr. Sandy L. Chung, president of the AAP. “We know this is the age group with the lowest vaccination rates. Right now, we have updated COVID vaccines that can help children’s immune systems learn to detect and resist the virus, including the strain that is circulating now. The virus is still here, and I’d urge parents to talk with their pediatricians about how they can protect their family.”

Vaccination rates have consistently lagged for children. In May, when the public health emergency ended, less than 1% of children under 5 had received the bivalent booster and less than 10% of children ages 5 to 17 had received it, data from the CDC shows.
(..)
“It’s important to know your own risk,” Cohen [ed. CDC Director Dr. Mandy Cohen] said. “Are you around folks who are older or who have underlying conditions? Then we need to use more layers of protection.

“The fact is we have tools, we need to use them.”

The juxtaposition of kids below 5 getting particularly hosed and the messaging from the CDC Director is - ngl - pretty grating.

Anyways, she is right that children under 5 should get vaccinated. What's that you say? - no one is offering pediatric vaccines? Listen... we're all trying to find the guy who did this.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Sep 23, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fansy posted:

God damnit!!

edit: I'll wait another week before I cave for Moderna

make an appointment now for it, you can always cancel if it comes out but you might not have availability if you wait. I made appointments yesterday and they’re already booked into October. It’s not going to be like last time where they couldn’t give them away and things were plentiful

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is a good overview of insurance coverage of the new vaccines (legal basis and sources in the link):
"Insurance Coverage of Updated COVID-19 Vaccines: A Cheat Sheet"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mdemone posted:

god drat. I can feel it climbing up.

they nailed it

get some listerine cool mint and gargle. alcohol or alkie free dealers choice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

The Metrix guys just started direct to consumer pre-sales and (for the moment) the prices are a lot cheaper than Peach Medical was listing:

https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product-for-home-use-presale

Reader was $75 on Peach, it's $50 on the manufacturer website
Test kits were $50 on peach, $30 on the manufacturer website

They also have a bundle which is basically buy 12 tests @ $30, get a free reader

fuckin a yeah! I wonder if they’ll replace my crapped out one

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

euphronius posted:

I’m like symptom free after 48 hours of paxlovid

it’s the best drug ever

excellent! super glad to hear. how's the pax mouth taste now?

but yeah it's a miracle drug basically. just don't want anyone who has it in hand to wait and see if it gets bad because (as you experienced) the bad can be quite bad :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

I command you to flee this body

flee this body

flee this body

the powe rof Pfize compels you

the POWER OF PFIZE COMPELS YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

judging from friend reports I think the fears over smoking up *a little bit* on pax are a bit overstated. not saying you should get totally zooted but whatever would get you just slightly toasted seemed to go fine

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
not gonna lie I was really hoping for that moth juice :(

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

excellent! super glad to hear. how's the pax mouth taste now?

but yeah it's a miracle drug basically. just don't want anyone who has it in hand to wait and see if it gets bad because (as you experienced) the bad can be quite bad :(

pax mouth lasted like a day

but the first day way bad

edit

I got symptoms on Monday. positive test Tuesday. pax on Wednesday. pretty quick

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

friend's entire household got covid this week.

i convinced them to get paxlovid. so they did.

then they told me that nobody was actually going to take it because mild.

told me it was their 3rd infection and i think the implication was that they have built up immunity so they don't need paxlovid.

i didn't engage, i just sent a few more messages begging them and their family to please take it easy for the next month.

i'm so loving tired of this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I talked to two triage nurses first on Tuesday night who tried to talk me out of paxlovid. when it got to my doctor on Wednesday morning he called it in at 8:01 am

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“my resting heart rate is 100. my blood oxygen is 90. my temperature is 101. can you help me.”

“oh it’s mild. drink some water “

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i had a preemptive convo with my doc the other day about pax and he was like "yeah man I have no problem prescribing it if/when you need it."

so that was nice.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/chapotraphouse/status/1705370901351682116?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

Holy poo poo! Hope he makes a miraculously speedy recovery and his wife and family gets loads of help. A newborn is an insane amount of work without having one of the parents being out of condition.

Reminds me that another internet personality, Physics Girl (Dianna Cowern), is still recovering from extremely, extremely severe long Covid.

euphronius posted:

If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June,

the amount of sophisticated evil in this statement is impressive

it’s pure evil

Extremely evil, almost cartoonishly so. This is what you say when you think other humans aren't actually people.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

emgeejay posted:

chapo’s on hiatus due to matt christman suffering a near fatal medical emergency, described only as a “totally normal-style sudden medical emergency that happens to normal people,” which is a joke about people thinking he got epsteined but also mirrors the widespread belief that having major heart attacks or strokes at age 40 is totally normal these days. the folks on the recording don’t want anyone to be speculative little freaks, but they sound badly shaken up and I am too, and sometimes I just despair that we aren’t even trying to turn this around. his baby’s on the way this week.

I listened to a couple of minutes of this and did not hear any mention of COVID. They said this incident happened Tuesday morning so they had time to think about whether they wanted to announce what it was and decided not to. So why the urgency to post this in the COVID thread? There are plenty of research papers with clearly-defined samples of patients with known medical histories linking all kinds of conditions to COVID so what is the value in posting about one specific incident that we know virtually nothing about now and maybe never will?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

The Metrix guys just started direct to consumer pre-sales and (for the moment) the prices are a lot cheaper than Peach Medical was listing:

They also have a bundle which is basically buy 12 tests @ $30, get a free reader

These prices are great. I just spent like $250 on another reader and some of their tests at the peachmedical price but I'm not even mad. If I can tell people yep, each test is 30 bucks, that will REALLY help with uptake.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Man I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Friday and checked the thread hoping for good Novavax news and now today IS Friday and it turns out they weren't even deciding Novavax today. I really want to hold out for it to be approved because the last booster I got really got me bad and I just don't want to deal with that again if there's an option available.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Geight posted:

Man I spent all day yesterday thinking it was Friday and checked the thread hoping for good Novavax news and now today IS Friday and it turns out they weren't even deciding Novavax today. I really want to hold out for it to be approved because the last booster I got really got me bad and I just don't want to deal with that again if there's an option available.

If your last booster was Moderna, it is generally said that Pfizer is much smoother.

Also sorry for repeating bad information about the Novavax decision date :/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Geight posted:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Seems bad.

The juxtaposition of kids below 5 getting particularly hosed and the messaging from the CDC Director is - ngl - pretty grating.

Anyways, she is right that children under 5 should get vaccinated. What's that you say? - no one is offering pediatric vaccines? Listen... we're all trying to find the guy who did this.

lol I have no idea how to get my <5yo vaccinated this year

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Pingui posted:

If your last booster was Moderna, it is generally said that Pfizer is much smoother.

Also sorry for repeating bad information about the Novavax decision date :/

All good - We shouldn't have to be waiting around playing will-they/won't-they in the first place. I did Moderna mains, Pfizer boost, and then Moderna bivalent boost. Each one has felt like it hit me progressively harder and I'm just not enthused to see if the trend holds for another round.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Soap Scum posted:

judging from friend reports I think the fears over smoking up *a little bit* on pax are a bit overstated. not saying you should get totally zooted but whatever would get you just slightly toasted seemed to go fine

I don't understand the ostensible mechanism of interaction.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

eXXon posted:

I listened to a couple of minutes of this and did not hear any mention of COVID. They said this incident happened Tuesday morning so they had time to think about whether they wanted to announce what it was and decided not to. So why the urgency to post this in the COVID thread? There are plenty of research papers with clearly-defined samples of patients with known medical histories linking all kinds of conditions to COVID so what is the value in posting about one specific incident that we know virtually nothing about now and maybe never will?

I agree that it’s a little odd to assume this is related to COVID and not, say, Matt’s prodigious use of various substances, but I’m also not sure how to talk about things like this in the future where the following facts hold:

1. covid dramatically increases one’s risk of stroke and heart attack and other shocking, fatal things
2. famous(ish) people occasionally have serious issues like strokes and heart attacks

like, yeah, it’s dumb to say that every heart attack would not happen but for covid, but if we’re to live in a world where there are many more heart attacks than there used to be, where is the line as far as speculation goes? do you require a statement from friends and family implicating a recent covid infection, even as we're all now getting covid regularly? should there be a medical examiner’s report? is it just a matter of bad vibes? idk.

my parents both had clotting issues after covid. one died. I have no proof that covid caused those things. what would that proof even look like at this stage of the game? am I wrong to feel like covid probably contributed to what happened to them?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Sep 23, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Glad I went ahead and sought out my booster before Kaiser gets around to offering it, finally got this email spam today from them:

quote:

Kaiser Permanente members can get the updated COVID-19 vaccine at no cost at a Kaiser Permanente medical facility. COVID-19 vaccine appointments will begin September 27 for Kaiser Permanente members 12 years and older. Appointments for children under 12 will become available as we receive supply.
Bolding mine, lol gently caress them kids (including my own of course) :smith:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

Probably gonna do this. Was thinking about ordering from peach medical and these prices make it so much better. Weve been having my nephews over more often due to some family poo poo to help out and having them take a rat never feels like enough and luciras being unobtanium now... yeah.

Also hi friends.
Excited to get that moth juice whenever it becomes available!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eXXon posted:

Brain inflammation made me smarter, actually.

Considering that IQ tests are regularly recalibrated to reflect the current tested mean I guess this is actually possible, you just have to make sure you lose less intelligence than the majority of the population. One weird trick to have higher than average IQ!

Edit: just in case anyone thought I was being completely serious, IQ tests are bunk for a variety of reasons. I've never done an IQ test and I don't ever intend to. But I do plan to avoid brain inflammation as much as possible

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

reduced clearance of things in your blood generally, I guess, but I don't know much more beyond that and "my friends smoked a little bit on pax and said it was fine" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the plague-stricken can have little a thc, as a treat

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mdemone posted:

THC is eliminated thru the liver by the cytochrome P450 enzyme complex.

ritonavir, the second drug in paxlovid, inhibits this pathway (a similar one for many, many other drugs!), in order to extend and maximize the time the first drug (nirmatrelvir, the actual Covid antiviral) stays in your bloodstream.

it keeps you high longer, basically.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so what you are saying is I could be high forever ?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

so what you are saying is I could be high forever ?

many such 5 day or 10 day if you're Tony Fauci cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

eXXon posted:

no one cares about your little scoldings dude