Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Convex posted:

I like monster condo tbh, that level always felt very cosy

I remember, when I was very new to FPSes, finding out about the -warp command line option and typing -warp 27, imagining that the level would be far in but not too brutal. And then it turned out to be Monster Condo, which kicked my keyboard-only rear end all morning and blew my mind. I genuinely thinking jumping that far ahead (at the time I was stuck around Tricks & Traps) encouraged me a lot to power through the rest of the game, and I’ve never forgotten the melody to Waiting for Romero to Play since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Reinstalled Turok and been playing that a bit. The thing that stands out to me still, since I played a bit of it before, is how odd movement feels. It's not even bad or anything, you can pick up a general feel for it real quick (though I occasionally launch myself off a ledge), but it's a very distinct feel from like, Quake or Unreal.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

Reinstalled Turok and been playing that a bit. The thing that stands out to me still, since I played a bit of it before, is how odd movement feels. It's not even bad or anything, you can pick up a general feel for it real quick (though I occasionally launch myself off a ledge), but it's a very distinct feel from like, Quake or Unreal.

There's gotta be a name for this, Goldeneye and Turok had similar feels, where strafing and running forwards at the same time made you move faster. But I think the kex stuff has a very slight difference in movement I can't really figure out, I could slip into some weird places in Turok 1 and 2 remasters that I couldn't in the originals.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Hasturtium posted:

I remember, when I was very new to FPSes, finding out about the -warp command line option and typing -warp 27, imagining that the level would be far in but not too brutal. And then it turned out to be Monster Condo, which kicked my keyboard-only rear end all morning and blew my mind. I genuinely thinking jumping that far ahead (at the time I was stuck around Tricks & Traps) encouraged me a lot to power through the rest of the game, and I’ve never forgotten the melody to Waiting for Romero to Play since.

pretty much :same:, lol

actually i did map 31 first because i didn't believe my friend who said it had the first and last levels of wolfenstein 3d episode 1 as secrets and it let you kill commander keen four times

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Convex posted:

actually i did map 31 first because i didn't believe my friend who said it had the first and last levels of wolfenstein 3d episode 1 as secrets and it let you kill commander keen four times

That does sound like a great playground rumour.

"My uncle who works at DOOM said...."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Doom & Doom II dominated my PC when I was a wee lad, but I think its unsatisfyingly abstract representations of actual places--factories, bases, cities, etc.--are the reason I latched so firmly onto literally anything more recognizable of a lived-in place in other games. The vending machines in Blake Stone! The glass windows in ROTT! And of course everything about Duke Nukem 3D--the toilets most of all.

I still really like the abstract nature of a lot of dooms levels, a lot more than a lot of "realistic" level maps that just play like poo poo. It didn't work for the city levels, but for the mars and hell levels these weird labyrinths I thought had a great surreal look that just added to the atmosphere. Hells taking over, it should feel like a weird nightmare.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Convex posted:

I was such a scrub that I didn’t even know about Wolfenstein, so I was just running through killing nazis and wondering why they were screaming lovely German, or a terrible Jerry Lewis-as-nutty-professor impression. It is fun to look back and realize that a prior version of you was sweet, well-meaning, and a complete twerp.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

dr_rat posted:

I still really like the abstract nature of a lot of dooms levels, a lot more than a lot of "realistic" level maps that just play like poo poo. It didn't work for the city levels, but for the mars and hell levels these weird labyrinths I thought had a great surreal look that just added to the atmosphere. Hells taking over, it should feel like a weird nightmare.

Fond memories of picking up one of those "TEN THOUSAND LEVELS ON ONE CD!" unofficial packs and playing a bunch of recreations of people's schools, houses, and libraries and realizing they were all poo poo to play, to a one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Fond memories of picking up one of those "TEN THOUSAND LEVELS ON ONE CD!" unofficial packs and playing a bunch of recreations of people's schools, houses, and libraries and realizing they were all poo poo to play, to a one.

DUKE!ZONE had a really good school level and also had a badass NASCAR deathmatch map

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The school level was scaled up so Duke is like the size of a 4th grader lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hasturtium posted:

I was such a scrub that I didn’t even know about Wolfenstein, so I was just running through killing nazis and wondering why they were screaming lovely German, or a terrible Jerry Lewis-as-nutty-professor impression. It is fun to look back and realize that a prior version of you was sweet, well-meaning, and a complete twerp.

Somehow not alarmed or tipped off by all the swastikas

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Somehow not alarmed or tipped off by all the swastikas

"The architecture, the decor... those militant right angle enthusiasts must be up to their old tricks again!"

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd forgotten about those. They just downloaded a bunch of poo poo off of early web sites and/or bbses, and then burned them to a disk, sometimes also packaged them into a box, and they actually got sold in retail outlets. I doubt they even got permission from the authors either. Standards were way lower back then.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wonder how many Wolf3D levels exist in total, with all of those unofficial level packs included.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

There's gotta be a name for this, Goldeneye and Turok had similar feels, where strafing and running forwards at the same time made you move faster. But I think the kex stuff has a very slight difference in movement I can't really figure out, I could slip into some weird places in Turok 1 and 2 remasters that I couldn't in the originals.

I mean, doesn't strafing and running forwards at the same time make you move faster in Doom, Quake, and Build engine games? I do that all the time when playing those. I think the weirdness we're thinking about has something to do with the way the camera moves, possibly something done because of the N64 and its controller? Plus I think it gives you a bit more grace wrt ledges and slipping off than we're used to and it tricks us real good into playing fast and loose with pits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

dr_rat posted:

This definitely ties into the praise Civvie gives to the good Build Engine games and how they handle level design, the balance they often achieved between "this feels like a real place" and "this is a fun level"

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

I mean, doesn't strafing and running forwards at the same time make you move faster in Doom, Quake, and Build engine games? I do that all the time when playing those. I think the weirdness we're thinking about has something to do with the way the camera moves, possibly something done because of the N64 and its controller? Plus I think it gives you a bit more grace wrt ledges and slipping off than we're used to and it tricks us real good into playing fast and loose with pits.

I guess, maybe to a lesser extent depending on what version you're playing. Happens in Goldsrc as well if you're running against walls, or strafing up ladders. Not sure what you mean about how the camera moves, are you playing with a controller? Or maybe it's the turn bobbing and strafe rolling options. Turning in those games felt really smooth
You can type showcollision in the console to see how forgiving some of those jumps are

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

I guess, maybe to a lesser extent depending on what version you're playing. Happens in Goldsrc as well if you're running against walls, or strafing up ladders. Not sure what you mean about how the camera moves, are you playing with a controller? Or maybe it's the turn bobbing and strafe rolling options. Turning in those games felt really smooth
You can type showcollision in the console to see how forgiving some of those jumps are

No, no controller, but probably the turn bobbing and strafe rolling options. Just looking around feels quite different from looking around in Quake. Like I said, I don't know what it is, and it feels weird but not like, wrong.

showcollision in general sounds good at the point I'm at, it's that big jumping puzzle over a bottomless pit in the Ancient City (hey, gently caress those guys that drop down onto a pillar when you're halfway through the jump to it), I think my problem is I assume it's going to be bad, it's not as bad as I think because of the collision, and then I get sloppy and die.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

drrockso20 posted:

This definitely ties into the praise Civvie gives to the good Build Engine games and how they handle level design, the balance they often achieved between "this feels like a real place" and "this is a fun level"

"Cartoon pseudo-realism" is such a good way of summarizing it, where it looks like it could be a place that exists, but the mapper never puts realism above the gameplay.

Personally tho, I've always thought of it as "naturalistic" level design due to the emphasis being more on having the level flow organically from one part to the next, since having the flow come to a halt, whether due to too much realism or simple bad level design, is more likely to break immersion and draw attention to the game's artifice than anything else.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

catlord posted:

No, no controller, but probably the turn bobbing and strafe rolling options. Just looking around feels quite different from looking around in Quake. Like I said, I don't know what it is, and it feels weird but not like, wrong.

showcollision in general sounds good at the point I'm at, it's that big jumping puzzle over a bottomless pit in the Ancient City (hey, gently caress those guys that drop down onto a pillar when you're halfway through the jump to it), I think my problem is I assume it's going to be bad, it's not as bad as I think because of the collision, and then I get sloppy and die.

Yeah if you play around with showcollision you can see how that works out when you land juuuust a little off the edge and hit the orange wall sector. You'll slide right down to your death.
I dunno if that's exactly how they were on the N64 versions, but if you make maps in the remasters, you have to draw the nav mesh in manually. It's such a hassle

If you don't angle the vertices correctly you're guaranteed to either get an error message or create some unexpected places to get stuck/die in.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

HolyKrap posted:

Yeah if you play around with showcollision you can see how that works out when you land juuuust a little off the edge and hit the orange wall sector. You'll slide right down to your death.
I dunno if that's exactly how they were on the N64 versions, but if you make maps in the remasters, you have to draw the nav mesh in manually. It's such a hassle

Oof.

HolyKrap posted:

If you don't angle the vertices correctly you're guaranteed to either get an error message or create some unexpected places to get stuck/die in.

Ah, the ol' Build Engine Special.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

catlord posted:

Ah, the ol' Build Engine Special.

The Build Engine Special is merging vertices causing a cascading wave of invisible corruption across the entire map.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

John Murdoch posted:

I wonder how many Wolf3D levels exist in total, with all of those unofficial level packs included.

Less than you would think.

Some years ago when generative AI was starting to become a thing I tried using a GAN to generate Wolf 3D levels. I downloaded every level I could find.

I believe my dataset ended up being around 5,000 levels but that has some caveats:
- I filtered out the pure poo poo that I didn’t want it to train on
- I did not include modern TCs that used a different level format
- That number is also after augmentation (rotating & mirroring levels to increase the data set size)

There are way, way more Doom levels in existence than Wolf 3D levels. Doom was a much more popular game and it included support for user-made levels out of the box.

My generator didn’t work at all, by the way. I was learning everything about ML from scratch so I had no idea how to tune anything. While I was wrapping it up some people at an Italian university beat me to the idea but they used Doom instead. Exact same idea I was trying to do, but they have to normalize the Doom maps into a similar shape first. Every Wolf 3D map is 64x64 tiles so it’s a much better fit for this concept, although ultimately I think this GAN approach is awful for this (there just aren’t enough levels to train on, for one thing). Their results aren’t very impressive either.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

david_a posted:

I mean, even just the official releases have too many drat levels to ever want to see them all so :v: I fully expected Doom to have vastly more.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As Turbo Overkill progresses, I find myself really enjoying how much mileage they get out of the arsenal. Like, everything feels good to use; everything remains relevant; you've got the tried-and-true classic FPS loadout but almost everything gets a little twist to it that keeps things feeling fresh. They did a great job with it.

EDIT:

Also it's been out for a few years, but I just noticed that Julianne Moore's dress in one of the Kingsman movies is something I really need more of in my life for reasons this thread might appreciate:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 23, 2023

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also it's been out for a few years, but I just noticed that Julianne Moore's dress in one of the Kingsman movies is something I really need more of in my life for reasons this thread might appreciate:

lol

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

david_a posted:

There are way, way more Doom levels in existence than Wolf 3D levels. Doom was a much more popular game and it included support for user-made levels out of the box.

A big thing is also just, how do you make an interesting Wolf 3D level? Like it's possible, particularly knife starting and playing around with resource management and what not, but it seems like it's much harder as you have so many less mechanics to play around with, and after you've played through a few dozen levels, well you've played through all the core mechanics a lot and probably starting to get bored of them. It's much harder to actually make something new that isn't just making your map into a picture people will only see if they look at it in a map editor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone animate it

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

DoombatINC posted:

"The architecture, the decor... those militant right angle enthusiasts must be up to their old tricks again!"

This made me laugh out loud. I absolutely knew they were nazis but I’d only heard about Wolfenstein and never tried it, so I was wandering around going, “what the gently caress IS this” over and over again. The cyberdemon in MAP32 was probably the first time I screamed in fear playing an FPS, so that was nice.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I played a lot of the Wolf 3D shareware when I was little. The theme song was super catchy and I would often hum it at school and other places.

It was only decades later I learned the song is loving Horst-Wessel-Lied…

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

I played a lot of the Wolf 3D shareware when I was little. The theme song was super catchy and I would often hum it at school and other places.

It was only decades later I learned the song is loving Horst-Wessel-Lied…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9RAZxNdCk8

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Hasturtium posted:

This made me laugh out loud. I absolutely knew they were nazis but I’d only heard about Wolfenstein and never tried it, so I was wandering around going, “what the gently caress IS this” over and over again. The cyberdemon in MAP32 was probably the first time I screamed in fear playing an FPS, so that was nice.

"GUTEN TAG!" :unsmigghh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Doctor Bishop posted:

"GUTEN TAG!" :unsmigghh:

drat, beat me to it.

So, over in BSS there's a thread about Wizard Magazine, the comics magazine, and this popped up in the August '95 issue, down at the news roundup at the bottom:

Why was Entity comics selling a comic packaged with Corridor 7, if anybody here knows? I wasn't really expecting Corridor 7 to get mention like, anywhere.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

One of my favorite development stories is how the Goldeneye developers built the levels as accurately as possible and prioritized making them real spaces - and then hurriedly threw in objectives at the last minute.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

I've hooked a Roland SC-55 up to my PC again, and now I don't wanna play anything that doesn't have a MIDI soundtrack.

I have Supplice and Prodeus, and both games have info out there about having MIDI soundtracks, and I can see the MIDI options in their menus, but the soundtracks remain digital as far as I can tell. I've basically just started each game, so maybe the MIDI doesn't kick in until later or at specific pointsf? Anyone know what is up with the MIDI soundtracks in these games? That side of things seems poorly documented for both games.

sup fellow Sound Canvas goon, I mostly use an SC-88 but I also have a 55mkII :):hf::)

I hate how much midi on Linux sucks, I have to fiddle with pa-loopback and helvum every time I want to play a game on Linux with midi, and even that doesn't work if it uses SDL midi instead of the low-level ALSA interface.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

dr_rat posted:

A big thing is also just, how do you make an interesting Wolf 3D level? Like it's possible, particularly knife starting and playing around with resource management and what not, but it seems like it's much harder as you have so many less mechanics to play around with, and after you've played through a few dozen levels, well you've played through all the core mechanics a lot and probably starting to get bored of them. It's much harder to actually make something new that isn't just making your map into a picture people will only see if they look at it in a map editor.

A lot of it is putting pressure on the player and making them move. A good Wolf3D level allows guards to circulate around and approach the player from more than one angle. Example from my own work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOfHUikUClE
(this is a version optimized for my "Wolfenstein Cosmetic Upgrade" visual mod but the original version of this map set was made for the original DOS version and the level design is identical)

E: an even more aggressive example from my map "Zugzwang" (literally "compulsion to move" in German) from the ECWolf community set Mungfunger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YodZ_OHNcI

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 23, 2023

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finished the Quake II remaster.

I'd never played the N64 levels before - they are interesting in a way, with several areas copied more or less directly from the main campaign and the two expansions, but really boring to play. The penultimate level looks pretty cool though.

OTOH Call of the Machine is very fun. I was surprised how different the gameplay feels, even though the levels are using the same weapons and enemies. The base game never really throws swarms of enemies at you, but here there are abundant opportunities to really go nuts with the chaingun, or to actually make use of the splash damage from grenades/rockets.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

who wore it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nostalgamus posted:

The base game never really throws swarms of enemies at you, but here there are abundant opportunities to really go nuts with the chaingun, or to actually make use of the splash damage from grenades/rockets.

Agreed. There are a couple sections where they give you a bfg and then surprise, 30 low level enemies rush you. A few of the encounters were really fun and interesting, but I didn't love having to pistol start every chapter (I get why it's like that, but still the least fun part of the game) and how some chapters just didn't bother with like half the armory and 2/3 of the powerups.