Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Did anyone else notice Renna's tattoos? I could ha e been imagining it but I swear they started really faint and got more vivid as the episode went on.

Yeah, I thought the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Wheel of Time season 3 will have an exciting new feature: Ads

https://www.engadget.com/amazons-prime-video-will-show-ads-unless-you-pay-3-more-per-month-111709384.html?src=rss&guccounter=1

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

rafikki posted:

Yeah, I thought the same thing

The face scaring? It looked different in different lighting it seemed to me. When she was more side or back lit they seemed to stand up more.

Edit: something I just learned from some nurses, the whole blood in the sclara thing can often be caused by vomiting

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 22, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

CainFortea posted:

Renna's accent also seemed quite thicker than most of the other seanchan.

I don't know the actor's background because there's not a lot about them on imdb etc, but her accent struck me as someone who doesn't have an American accent, doing one. I'm a weird accent nerd so I'm probably the only one who notices it. Still less distracting than House or anything Charlie Hunnam has done.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

drat, this episode was heavy. The actors for Egwene and Renna deserve some awards. They basically had an empty room with a jug in it to work with. They completely knocked it out of the park.

DarkHorse posted:

You just know she thinks she's "one of the good ones." She's kind to her damane, let's them keep their name, gives them praise... and utterly oblivious to the power dynamic and the cruelty she is party to because she is convinced damane aren't human
This. It just so completely drives home the point that the Seanchan are evil slavers who don’t know that they are evil.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

Hughmoris posted:

Meh is right. Some awful acting being carried by a few standouts.

Can I ask whose acting you (or the thread in general) don't like? I have no negative standouts, everyone is at least decent IMO.

Have to agree though that Lan's just been treading water so far.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Well it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but it was still very rough, and if I didn't know what happens I wouldn't have been able to keep watching. My husband turned to me after that very last shot of Egwene and said "I think that cup's become a weapon again", and drat right. And oh man, Elaine really squaring up as the Daughter-Heir and making the horrible tough decisions because that's literally what she was raised to do. New Mat is great. Really warming to the actor playing Rand, I think he's going to be just fine. And LANFEAR oh god I hate her so much I love her. The characterisation is getting better and better.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I loved original Mat but new Mat is every bit as good

Barney did the tortured bit wonderfully, Donal has the trickster spot on

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I don't know the actor's background because there's not a lot about them on imdb etc, but her accent struck me as someone who doesn't have an American accent, doing one. I'm a weird accent nerd so I'm probably the only one who notices it. Still less distracting than House or anything Charlie Hunnam has done.

This was my exact thought when hearing it. Sounded like a Brit trying to do a thick american accent. I'm still holding out hope they give us at least on Texan Seanchan.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Which is weird too because southern accents are reportedly much easier for Brits to emulate vs a flat Midwestern accent.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Renna sounds closest to texan to me, from my memories of living there. It's a big place, and not everyone is from corpus christi.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Was I imagining things or was there a shot showing Renna wearing cowboy boots?

edit: lmfao at 1:15 she is absolutely wearing cowboy boots with pointy curled-up toes.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 23, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

For all I've read, non book readers pick up things pretty quick, even more than some book readers lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OdSlJOJPk

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

For all I've read, non book readers pick up things pretty quick, even more than some book readers lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OdSlJOJPk

Oh, I'm always excited for a non-reader reaction channel.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Definitely. I think European actors who speak English or limited English have a thing where they kind of "flatten" their native accent and you can also pick up that they sometimes emphasize words wrong. It comes out feeling kind of uneven and off-putting. I'm sure it's the same thing that Brits complain about when American actors do British accents.

Just one of many things that you can nitpick about the show that keep it from jumping into great TV.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

episode was very good but a tough watch. so are the egwene in chains chapters in TGH so it did a good job, this is basically the experience that shapes egwene for the rest of the series so it’s crucial.

my non book reading wife spontaneously was praising Renna as one of the best actors in the show, she really jumped off the screen

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dingleberry2 posted:

Definitely. I think European actors who speak English or limited English have a thing where they kind of "flatten" their native accent and you can also pick up that they sometimes emphasize words wrong. It comes out feeling kind of uneven and off-putting. I'm sure it's the same thing that Brits complain about when American actors do British accents.

Just one of many things that you can nitpick about the show that keep it from jumping into great TV.

Renna sounded the most like the actual texan accent I remember from living there. Not the Caroline Decker from Corpus Christi that is the most, well, meme version of the accent. It's a real accent, sure, but texas is loving huge and has lots of different groups in it, it's not like all texans sound the same.

It's still not really "a texan accent" but she came close.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Say what you will about other stuff but Suians knife halo was loving dope. The weave sfx has been really cool this season.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
gently caress it I say and go hog wild on American accents.

"Oh yeah, my raken over 'dere has been filling not so good, dontchaknow. Might have to get her up to da clinic. Oli said he could lend me the wagon ya betcha."

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

ManSedan posted:

Say what you will about other stuff but Suians knife halo was loving dope. The weave sfx has been really cool this season.

Thanks for reminding me about the other thing that bugged me about this episode. Not the air daggers, but the fact that Suian appeared to be traveling at night with like 4 guards and Lan was able to just gallop right up to her carriage. At least give some establishing shots of a royal entourage. Other than maybe a throwaway line in S1 there's really nothing that has established Aes Sedai as universally respected, if not feared, and the Amyrylin being the most politically powerful of them all.

Maybe book Lan could have stealthed his way into her carriage, but show Lan doesn't even know how to track his own Aes Sedai without their bond.

I know it costs money, etc, not those are the kinds of establishing shots that separate HBO from the CW.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This episode was great, I remember last season people calling Egwene's actress the worst out of the main cast and she knocked that whole thing out of the park. Really effective in all the ways it showed the a'dam's rules and how horrific it is, and Renna played her role monstrously well also. If I had any notes, it would be that I wish they leaned just a little harder into the burning the tree element. By going so quickly back to the pitcher and then having Renna utterly snap and drop the mask when Egwene remains defiant, it kind of detracted from that moment. They should have lingered on the horror when Egwene realized the rush of being able to touch the power again, the comforting words, the praise at her ability, allowed her captor to slip through her defenses for just a second, to not even fully recognize that she'd been controlled like a puppet into destroying one of the only things helping cling to hope and she'd failed to be upset about it or try to resist it. If I were writing/directing I would have held on that moment of praise for just a couple of seconds, have Egwene realize what just happened, and go for the pitcher with intent to attack again. THEN have Renna beat her for DARING to still be so mean after she was just the nicest slavemaster ever.

Speaking of Renna, I think the most chilling thing about her whole schtick in this episode was that part when she talked about how she wants damane to reach their full potential and how the Tower is the one that's really enslaving them by teaching their novices silly parlor tricks and making them do chores. I almost expected her to make the metaphor even more oblique and openly compare damane to championship racehorses or show dogs or something.

Lanfear was also great in this episode, the line her actress and the writing/directing is walking in how she manipulates Rand is so perfect. I loved the expression on her face when Rand asked if she would really show him ANYTHING and you could tell she knew he meant Egwene and that she didn't want to because his love was making her jealous. You almost can't help but feel just a twinge of sympathy for her... until seconds later she spitefully spirits him away from the conversation and Rand doesn't even seem to realize that she did it. Rand played his part of their little dance well too, seeing him abandon Moiraine to protect her, try in a kind of pathetic way to manipulate her that she clearly sees through but also kind of plays along with because she sees her as no threat, and finally go back to Logain because he's that desperate to save Egwene was all good stuff.

Moiraine small part in this episode was also pretty neat. Seeing her completely cross the line with her family because of the lack of sleep, her "stilling" and Rand walking out on her only for her little sis to cut back with "You're just like MOTHER," and then for her to actually apologize was nice. It honestly felt like a turning point for the trajectory of intentionally pushing people away/taking her emotional state out on others to cope that she's been on this season and I'm eager to see what happens with her next, especially if she gets any private time to Suiane.

Mat, Min, Elayne and Nynaeve's parts this week were also quite enjoyable. They were obviously sideshows to the main event, but they're pushing things along. Matt's sense of betrayal at Min's hands while we know that Min is desperately trying to save him and stopped herself at the threshold of truly betraying him was done well, and Nynaeve's reaction to being addressed by an Aes Sedai as "sister" and trusted with the most personal possible task after all her mistrust was a great moment for her.

I haven't minded Lan's little Arc of Bitterness, Indecision and Frustration this season, as I know some people have, but I am looking forward to next time and how he's going to interact with Rand based on the preview. Gonna set up that confrontation in Falme real good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ManSedan posted:

I think I learned that same spell in Elden Ring.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dingleberry2 posted:

Thanks for reminding me about the other thing that bugged me about this episode. Not the air daggers, but the fact that Suian appeared to be traveling at night with like 4 guards and Lan was able to just gallop right up to her carriage. At least give some establishing shots of a royal entourage. Other than maybe a throwaway line in S1 there's really nothing that has established Aes Sedai as universally respected, if not feared, and the Amyrylin being the most politically powerful of them all.

Maybe book Lan could have stealthed his way into her carriage, but show Lan doesn't even know how to track his own Aes Sedai without their bond.

I know it costs money, etc, not those are the kinds of establishing shots that separate HBO from the CW.

The show is a lot more low-key about the pomp and formality that the book makes such a big deal of, like how carefully you're supposed to talk to an Aes Sedai as a novice, or how the Amyrlin showing up in your city is like the world screeching to a halt, or how everyone has to avert their eyes and kowtow everywhere and never say a syllable outside of protocol when giving long and specific ritualistic calls and responses and so on.

All the dialogue in the Tower has the feel of people just being transgressive all the time by talking to each other all familiar-like, but eventually you realize that's just how everyone talks in this show. Probably because it would get to be an unwatchable pain in the rear end otherwise.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Data Graham posted:

The show is a lot more low-key about the pomp and formality that the book makes such a big deal of, like how carefully you're supposed to talk to an Aes Sedai as a novice, or how the Amyrlin showing up in your city is like the world screeching to a halt, or how everyone has to avert their eyes and kowtow everywhere and never say a syllable outside of protocol when giving long and specific ritualistic calls and responses and so on.

All the dialogue in the Tower has the feel of people just being transgressive all the time by talking to each other all familiar-like, but eventually you realize that's just how everyone talks in this show. Probably because it would get to be an unwatchable pain in the rear end otherwise.

Eh, I'm not so much talking about the pomp, just the establishment of power levels. With Suroth we get her carried in on a 300 level God tier litter, immediately subdues a village and squad of seasoned fighters. Then she also immediately gets eviscerated by Turok. Turok also has a whole court waiting on him.

Siuan is just out for a night ride where anyone can just ride up to her carriage. Why don't the Whitecloaks just obliterate her?

It's like different crews filming each segment and not a good overall balance between them on how to present things, especially to non book readers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Moiraine small part in this episode was also pretty neat. Seeing her completely cross the line with her family because of the lack of sleep, her "stilling" and Rand walking out on her only for her little sis to cut back with "You're just like MOTHER," and then for her to actually apologize was nice. It honestly felt like a turning point for the trajectory of intentionally pushing people away/taking her emotional state out on others to cope that she's been on this season and I'm eager to see what happens with her next, especially if she gets any private time to Suiane.

I like how it's a little prequel to the journey Rand has to take. Moiraine thinks she has to do it all, and pushes away her support structure, then when she finally hits bottom she starts to realize there actually is more to life than suffering to win.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Dingleberry2 posted:

Eh, I'm not so much talking about the pomp, just the establishment of power levels. With Suroth we get her carried in on a 300 level God tier litter, immediately subdues a village and squad of seasoned fighters. Then she also immediately gets eviscerated by Turok. Turok also has a whole court waiting on him.

Siuan is just out for a night ride where anyone can just ride up to her carriage. Why don't the Whitecloaks just obliterate her?

It's like different crews filming each segment and not a good overall balance between them on how to present things, especially to non book readers.

I'm kind of OK with this as a contrast between the Aes Sedai and the Seanchan. It seems a little silly given what we book readers know, but for the show it clearly shows stratified and hierarchal Seanchan society is, but the Amyrlin is shockingly approachable, a genuine "mother" type role.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Rand better do Cat Crosses the Courtyard when meeting Siuan

Maybe he can take swagger lessons from Padan Fain

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm kind of OK with this as a contrast between the Aes Sedai and the Seanchan. It seems a little silly given what we book readers know, but for the show it clearly shows stratified and hierarchal Seanchan society is, but the Amyrlin is shockingly approachable, a genuine "mother" type role.

I thought it was a way bigger show of power for the Amyrlin to be traveling in a simple carriage with only a couple of guards. She's one of the strongest channelers in a generation, she doesn't need protecting and she's happy to let the world know that. Let the Whitecloaks come, she could mince an army of them, or at least thats the level of confidence she's projecting.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Sanguinia posted:

I thought it was a way bigger show of power for the Amyrlin to be traveling in a simple carriage with only a couple of guards. She's one of the strongest channelers in a generation, she doesn't need protecting and she's happy to let the world know that. Let the Whitecloaks come, she could mince an army of them, or at least thats the level of confidence she's projecting.

I could buy that theory if she didn't immediately look alarmed and get all daggery immediately.

I know I'm picking on little poo poo, but I love the books and am on board with this being another telling of the Wheel so there's gonna be changes, I just hate the ones that look done for cheap budget reasons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

i don't think that was actively portrayed on screen. skulldaggers were metal tho

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what would have been way cooler and saved lan's storyline is a lan POV where he rides up and waves off the warders to be greeted by skulldaggers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dingleberry2 posted:

I just hate the ones that look done for cheap budget reasons.

The budget on this show is not cheap. Money just isn't an infinite resource

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Rarity posted:

I understand that, which just makes it worse. Where is the insane budget going? Every city block has the same half dozen extras walking down the same narrow alley that every other city has.

It may be a large budget show but so many shots come off as cheap, especially any battle involving the One Power.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rarity posted:

rand's collar embroidery was hot poo poo. red with gold herons jacket was my favorite so far though

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dingleberry2 posted:

Where is the insane budget going?

Probably location and talent. The two major locations this season were Italy and two different regions of Morocco.

The cast is already huge and will only get larger in subsequent seasons. Rosamund has mentioned in interviews how her bourgeoisie actor friends are expressing interest in the show and asking for roles. People like Lindsey Duncan as Anvaere Damodred who I think added a lot to this season. Next week adds Hayley Mills who I believe will be the Gitara Moreoso flashback.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hexel posted:

Probably location and talent. The two major locations this season were Italy and two different regions of Morocco.

Production design as well I'd guess. The scale of the sets is insane

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Rarity posted:

Production design as well I'd guess. The scale of the sets is insane

Seriously? Compare the sets to any season of GoT and tell me that's where the budget is going. Tell me one set that's more than a narrow hallway or alley.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Dingleberry2 posted:

Tell me one set that's more than a narrow hallway or alley

The Church of St. Wenceslas in Výsluní, Dolský Mlýn in the Czech Republic, the Dobříš region near Královská stolice, the Skala Medina in Essaouira, the Jerusalem set in Ouarzazate, Bastion IX in the Josefov Fortress, Jaromer, Czech Republic, Ploskovice Castle, the Alcázar of Segovia, Kestřany Fortress, Chotěšov Abbey, Adršpach Rocks, the Masseria Borzone, and Gara Medouar. Seasons 1 and 2 have utilized dozens of locations across about 6 different countries thus far. Some of these locations required significant modification for filming.

Just about every outdoor scene and every interior that is not Tar Valon.

The only permanent sets at the homebase of Jordan Studios in Prague are the White Tower interiors, some Tar Valon streets and alleys which are built on a backlot and The Ways. The Two Rivers is a permanent set as well near Prague. Everything else requires millions of dollars to move hundreds of people and equipment.

I think people forget how much of GOT was Winterfell and King's Landing. There was no magic and a CGI dragon. :shrug:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 23, 2023

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Hexel posted:

The Church of St. Wenceslas in Výsluní, Dolský Mlýn in the Czech Republic, the Dobříš region near Královská stolice, the Skala Medina in Essaouira, the Jerusalem set in Ouarzazate, Bastion IX in the Josefov Fortress, Jaromer, Czech Republic, Ploskovice Castle, the Alcázar of Segovia, Kestřany Fortress, Chotěšov Abbey, Adršpach Rocks, the Masseria Borzone, and Gara Medouar. Seasons 1 and 2 have utilized dozens of locations across about 6 different countries thus far. Some of these locations required significant modification for filming.

Just about every outdoor scene and every interior that is not Tar Valon.

The only permanent sets at the homebase of Jordan Studios in Prague are the White Tower interiors, some Tar Valon streets and alleys which are built on a backlot and The Ways. The Two Rivers is a permanent set as well near Prague. Everything else requires millions of dollars to move hundreds of people and equipment.

I think people forget how much of GOT was Winterfell and King's Landing. There was no magic and a CGI dragon. :shrug:

And yet none of the shots look like those places. They all look like the same alley and the same set. And GoT had a ton of locations that were not Winterfel or Kings Landing, comparing the production values of both shows and claiming they're similar is being completely disrespectful to GoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dingleberry2 posted:

And yet none of the shots look like those places. They all look like the same alley and the same set. And GoT had a ton of locations that were not Winterfel or Kings Landing, comparing the production values of both shows and claiming they're similar is being completely disrespectful to GoT.

I watched enough GoT to conclude that it was boring garbage that you can't be disrespectful enough to

You are being really silly here