Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think we're best off just fixing up the Thud and not trying to restore it. Given how the last mission went, I can see why someone who lives here would want to put jump jets onto whatever they have available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If Ravager is our only current source of potential new clues, it's best to butter her up a bit. Ask her whether she'd prefer to have the Thunderbolt repaired to its current pirate spec or restored to factory, as a sign of good faith.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're not, but good luck talking the chief tech out of it.

lmao

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're not, but good luck talking the chief tech out of it.

This is gamemastering ladies and gentlemen.

THIS is gamemastering :golfclap:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm presuming that the new "friend" counts as a prisoner for voting purposes

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If Ravager is our only current source of potential new clues, it's best to butter her up a bit. Ask her whether she'd prefer to have the Thunderbolt repaired to its current pirate spec or restored to factory, as a sign of good faith.

Exactly this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Double post

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Quotin

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

If this is possible, then yes.

Chronojam posted:

I'm presuming that the new "friend" counts as a prisoner for voting purposes

You mean the sole survivor of a planetary militia that we managed to rescue from an unknown enemy despite overwhelming odds?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Technowolf posted:

If this is possible, then yes.

You mean the sole survivor of a planetary militia that we managed to rescue from an unknown enemy despite overwhelming odds?

after we were ourselves the enemy that shot said militia to pieces

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe next time we run into unknowns who aren't obviously trying to masquerade as SLDF or House militia, we could maybe ask if they want to be shot at first.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
That sounds like it might be a breach of SLDF doctrine. I'll have to check my sourcebooks.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Bloody Pom posted:

Maybe next time we run into unknowns who aren't obviously trying to masquerade as SLDF or House militia, we could maybe ask if they want to be shot at first.

We could ask with which forces they bid defend themselves

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Chronojam posted:

We could ask with which forces they bid defend themselves

What if they dare to refuse our batchall?

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

Scintilla posted:

What if they dare to refuse our batchall?

don't make the mistake of attacking someone's HOME PLANET

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That sounds like it might be a breach of SLDF doctrine. I'll have to check my sourcebooks.

The fact that you aren't simply nuking them the second you see them already has you in breach of SLDF doctrine.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

The fact that you aren't simply nuking them the second you see them already has you in breach of SLDF doctrine.

We come in peace, shoot to kill.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

We come in peace, shoot to kill.

Scotty, beam me up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Downtime #2-B

Primary Downtime Action Results

Training Vote Results

Salvage & Technical Vote Results

Thunderbolt Vote Results

XR7715 – Eye of Balor (Local Name)
Confederate-class DropShip Dimetrodon, outbound to Nadir Jump Point
Spinward Periphery
March 12th, 2763

“We just do some trading every once in a while,” Ravager lied. She was begrudgingly grateful that the Star League had provided her with something a bit heavier than her ‘Mech shorts to wear—and fair was fair, if she’d stayed on Fomhóraigh she’d almost certainly have been killed by the attack force her interrogator was still calling the ‘Fake SLDF;’ but that didn’t mean she intended to be particularly cooperative. They’d still shot the rest of her lance down around her.

“Mmhm,” Lt. Syntyche Moon’s tone wasn’t convinced. “At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter that much. As long as you keep your nose clean on the Dimetrodon, the Captain’s assured me we’re not going to be seizing your ‘Mech. We just want to figure out who this attack force is and, pirate or not, I think you’ve got a good idea who their next most likely target is.”

“We had four-ish lances on Fomhóraigh; and maybe double that in vehicles. All privately owned and operated, but every community had a couple of tanks at least. To deter pirates, of course.”

“Of course,” Lt. Moon didn’t argue the point. “And the fake SLDF dropped at least a Battalion on you. I think you’ve got a pretty good idea what your neighbors have. Assuming that everything closer to the Draconis Combine has already been attacked; are there any worlds you think could resist a ‘Mech battalion? Or any that are so weak the fakes might only dispatch a company or maybe even a single lance to pick them off?”

Ravager grinned, “Just for the record: you’re asking me, a peaceful trader, to think like a pirate?”

“Or a facsimile thereof.” Lt. Moon agreed without complaint. “Assume they’ll strike again within three to six months, if not sooner.”

“New Iceland’s got two or more companies of ‘Mechs, plus vehicles. If they were warned in advance and concentrated in one place they’d give a ‘Mech battalion a run for its money. They’re a trade hub. The SLDF swings through every few years and asks us to join them to form the core of a new nation state out here, but we’ve never really had a lot in common. New Iceland’s been a pirate target for generations so they’re not really pleased with, uh. Most of their neighbors. They’re also at least reasonably likely to trust you Star Leaguers—or maybe not. Just depends on how much news is getting out.”

She continued, “Like Crotch. Real shithole of a planet, that one; but it’s temperate so it’s become a pirate haven. Most of the big raids launch from there—we’re talking big strikes into the Draconis Combine for ‘Mechs and whatever else, not just the typical friendly-ish cattle and water raiding. No idea how many ‘Mechs they’ve got on hand, but Crotch is mostly swamps and mountains. They can handle at least a battalion and if you’re willing to cosplay as pirates for a few months we can probably ambush a lance of fake Star League easily enough. You’ll just need to be real careful, if it slips that you’re Star League you’ll be overrun before you can lift off. Your Mongoose is going to draw a lot of attention.”

“Then there’s Frigid,” Ravager shrugged, “I guess. They’ve got a lance, population’s only about twenty thou? Two little towns worth, spread into three little towns. They launch pirate raids for food or water every so often, and most of us let them get away with it because they’re from Frigid. Your fakes probably wouldn’t commit a whole battalion to wiping them out, so an extra lance might make a difference. If you can talk them into it.”

Destination Vote
1) TH8891-3 “New Iceland”
2) LV7822-4 “Crotch”
3) IV5267-3 “Frigid”

Vote

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 28, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
How can we not go to a place called Crotch?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

*pounding on the table*

Crotch, crotch, crotch

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
As hilarious as that other name is, we'd make the most difference at Frigid.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stealth crotch mission lol

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Forgot the actual strawpoll link, whoops.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You knew we'd do this. You don't give a place the name "crotch" and expect goons will vote otherwise.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Operation Shrinkage vote cast

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Casting my vote for Frigid. If we had brought one of our other Mechs out of storage then I'd consider Crotch, but nobody with half a brain is going to believe some pirate managed to snag a Royal mech.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

new iceland! go big and go home

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Aside from le funny name, Crotch seems like the easiest option for getting the drop on the fake SLDF. The terrain favours an ambush and will hopefully help us get a first strike, and if the fake SLDF are recruiting from local pirate groups then it's possible the other pirates will know more about their motives. We'll probably have to put the Mongoose into storage, but I think that's a sacrifice worth making.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I don't remember the Alien movies in superb detail but any planet designation beginning with LV- makes me paranoid.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Frigid seems the least likely to turn into a clusterfuck while still being interesting and will likely surprise the hell out of whoever we end up fighting.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Swampy Crotch gets my vote

Pirates wouldn't have Crabs in 2763, would they?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Actual pirates? No.

But this is the Third Hidden War, the "pirates" have their own WarShips at this point. They can get a fuckin Crab.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

what official Battletech sourcebooks / etc discuss the Third Hidden War? I've hardly seen anything that wasn't Third Succession War or later.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

propatriamori posted:

what official Battletech sourcebooks / etc discuss the Third Hidden War? I've hardly seen anything that wasn't Third Succession War or later.

The five Great House sourcebooks and the Star League sourcebook talk about it from various perspectives. The Steiner one probably gives it the most focus out of the five Great Houses because it started with bandits attacking the Commonwealth, and you can really see how Kerensky bungled his response and doomed the Star League.

The Handbook series also talks about it some, but they had less page space for history and more stuff to cover so it's a bit more light on that era.

Most of the Star League-era products also take place during the Third Hidden War. Era Report: 2750, the 2750 field reports and Field Manual: SLDF are all set smack-dab in the middle of the war, with FM:SLDF talking about it as one of the largest current dangers to the Star League's future (which is 100% accurate). Liberation of Terra Vol I also discusses the Third Hidden War in hindsight, as one of the major factors that eroded support for the Star League.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I've been slow-rolling the next mission because I'm starting with a new company tomorrow. It shouldn't change my ability to get updates done, they just might be slightly later in the evenings. On the plus side, it's a much more stable schedule that actually has holidays off. So, it's an improvement across the board.

Everything's ready to go, though.

Ally teaser.

Edit: Forgot the heat sinks.
Double Edit: And the armor.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 2, 2023

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've been slow-rolling the next mission because I'm starting with a new company tomorrow. It shouldn't change my ability to get updates done, they just might be slightly later in the evenings. On the plus side, it's a much more stable schedule that actually has holidays off. So, it's an improvement across the board.

Ally teaser.

:perfect:

I have no idea what this ill-formed monster out of deep BattleTime is going to do, but I am very excited to see it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ally teaser.

Negative traits: nonstandard parts, difficult to maintain, poor workmanship.

I am absolutely picturing the giant version of Homer Simpson's robot with a shitload of guns stapled to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

PoptartsNinja posted:

nonsense, it's a snow mech, why would it need heat sinks