Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Most Recent Battle Starts: Downtime 4A
Most Recent Update: Downtime 4C

The year is 2763. The young First Lord of the Star League, Richard Cameron, has just come of age; and the regent General Aleksandr Kerensky has resumed his position as the Commanding General of the SLDF. But all is not well in the Star League. Executive Order 156—Richard Cameron’s attempt to disband the private militaries of the Great Houses—has been laughed out of the High Council chambers. Tensions between the Great Houses are the highest they’ve ever been, and the need for more information is growing.

Convinced that the first hostilities are likely to come from the historically belligerent House Kurita, the Star League has redoubled their efforts to establish listening posts in the spinward periphery, and to hunt for any sign of rebellion on settled periphery worlds. These tasks have fallen on the Star League Astrological Mapping Corps, whose nominal duty is scouting unexplored periphery worlds to discover those with whose environment or rare resources make them most suitable for human colonization.

Expecting the increased activity will shake loose a few pirates at a minimum—and likely direct reprisals from House Kurita—an entire regiment of SLDF troops have been reassigned to support the AMC’s task. Based out of a secret facility on Epsilon Pegasus IV, the AMC has dispersed lance- and company-sized units of mostly outdated ‘Mechs across their entire operational area in the hopes that the small unit sizes and nonstandard compositions will either go unnoticed or be mistaken for a much smaller force of pirates.

General Thread Rules:
Questions are Welcome!:
If you have a question, need some advice, or need a little extra time please don't hesitate to ask!

Voting & Civility:
Keep things civil and please don’t whine if your first choice doesn’t get picked. I’ll be using StrawPoll to handle most votes this time around, so if you’re having trouble making a decision you might want to wait to see what the thread thinks about an option.

Order Deadlines:
I’ve given up on hard deadlines for combat orders. They always get missed and I begging people for orders really depresses me, which makes updates slower. Get me your orders as quickly as you practically can and I will update as frequently as I can.

Rules Discussion:
General discussion of core game mechanics is OK. Referencing page numbers in rulebooks is also OK.

Official Lore Discussion:
Is fine, BattleTech is a very lore-heavy game, but this is a game thread first and foremost. Discussing spoilers or recent product releases is all fine, within reason.

FAQ
Who are you?
I’m PoptartsNinja. I’ve been playing BattleTech with the SomethingAwful games forums for over a decade. After taking a few months for a mental health break (and to improve my tools and automate as many things as I can reasonably automate), I’m back and ready to roll more dice!

What program do you use?
I usually borrow and modify sprites from MegaMEK, and I use an ancient hex mapping software called .BME, but everything else (including all dice rolls) are done by hand. With a little help from Excel, of course.

You don’t really roll physical dice, do you?
I do, and as previous players can attest, my dice are pretty murderous. I keep them in a clear, compartmentalized plastic craft storage container with a pair of white dice and a pair of black dice in each compartment. So, effectively, the fates of every unit in the field is being decided by one of these:

So how does this work?
The LP is split into two phases: combat, and downtime. In a combat phase, we play BattleTech. In a downtime phase, the thread may get to vote

Can I play?
Absolutely, but before you flood the thread with requests to join the mechwarrior list, there are a few things to talk about :

Playing BattleTech is a time commitment. Most missions will take anywhere from 8 to 15 turns, and could possibly take longer. If orders come in reliably, turnaround will be pretty quick; but if I have to ask for orders after every turn we’re all going to loose steam. You don’t have to rush, please take time to think about your movement or coordinate with other players, but the quicker you can get orders to me the faster my updates will be.

In previous threads, I assembled a huge waitlist of people wanting to play. That waitlist somewhat forced me to play larger and larger battles, until I eventually got overwhelmed and couldn’t keep track of everything. Likewise, because people were forced to wait so long between signing up and actually getting to play, a lot of people lost interest before their turns ever came up. This time around I’m not doing a waitlist. After each mission, I’ll open the door for interested players to send me a private message via the forums to sign up for the next battle. Submissions will remain open until I either get four players and maybe an alternate or two, or my mailbox fills up.

There are a few things I need to be clear on there as well: Repeat players are absolutely welcome, but I probably won’t let you play two missions in a row. So if you just played, we’ll give someone else an opportunity. I will be keeping a list of who’s played already, and will likely take a team that’s a mix of veterans who I know will send me orders quickly and new players on a first-come-first-served basis.

In past threads there’ve been a lot of people interested in playing, but there’s only one of me, and so whenever I have to make a judgement call on who gets to play, I’m going to take the option that makes things easiest on me.

I think that pretty much covers things.

What Line of Sight rules are we using?
Alpha Strike’s simplified LoS rules. Partial cover requires adjacent terrain, everything else requires intervening terrain.

What about initiative?
Players always win initiative, with two exceptions:
1) Enemy units with the Ace SPA always win initiative.
1a) A player unit with the Tactical Genius SPA can block an enemy’s Ace SPA and keep it from taking effect.
2) An enemy unit that has been backed into a corner (by being the only survivor, being isolated or surrounded, or at the GM’s discretion if the circumstances seem to warrant it) may become desperate. This may just be granted, or it may be a random chance. A desperate unit always wins initiative, but will also likely try to retreat if doing so is practical. If retreat is not practical a desperate unit may attempt to go out in a blaze of glory.

House Rules:
The Guts Stat
Guts is a reroll granted to the player units, to help encourage players to make risky plays. It’s a bit like the old Edge stat, but it’s solely at my discretion. I can use it for anything that feels appropriate, but most likely it will be used defensively to protect a player from an unlucky headshot or crit. This does not eliminate all risk; it’s entirely possible a player Mechwarrior could get killed and still have Guts remaining. Guts will also be reduced as an individual Mechwarrior’s skill increases, as they develop a better understanding of their own capabilities. As a general rule, guts and gunnery are proportional. The lower a pilot’s gunnery, the lower their guts. But it’s not one to one and yes, it is arbitrary. It’s a tool I can and will use to encourage people to have fun.

Minimum Range
Minimum range applies a flat -2 penalty to hit

Auxilliary Weapons
Machine guns, flamers, small lasers, and other weapons that have a range of 3 or less have a short range of 3 and no other range brackets. Auxilliary weapons are already difficult enough to use.

Tweaked SPAs and Mech Quirks
Ubiquitous Enemy ‘Mechs with the Ubiquitous quirks are instantly identified when players establish line of sight. The ‘Mech is just too well known to be a surprise for the players. This reveals the ‘mech’s name and armor values, but not its armament or model number.

Human TRO instantly identifies enemy ‘Mechs when the unit with Human TRO establishes line of sight as if the unit had the Ubiquitous quirk. If the target is already ubiquitous, the model number and armament is also revealed.

Tactical Genius can cancel an enemy unit’s Ace status. If multiple enemies have Ace, the unit’s controller choses which Ace is suppressed and cannot chose another until that Ace dies.

Star League Astrological Mapping Corps “Obligation Lance” Starting Personnel
Name: Syntyche Cameron-Moon
Callsign: Prodigal / Obligation-4
Pronouns: She/Her
Homeworld: Towne
House: Cameron
Strengths: Highly Educated
Weaknesses: Green Commander
Gunnery: 4 / Piloting: 4 / Guts: 3
Background: A distant branch family of House Cameron, Syntyche’s generation was the last permitted to include Cameron in their family name. The Moons have served the SLDF with distinction since its founding; but the Cameron-Moons have suffered disaster after disaster. The presence of a Cameron, no matter how distant from the throne, is a distraction that most SLDF commanders neither want nor need. Syntyche took her reassignment to the Star League Astrological Mapping Corps without complaint; but feels the sidelining unjust and frustrating. She’d gladly strike the Cameron from her family name if it gave her a chance at a normal career. Although she is still technically in the line of succession, it would take an unprecedented disaster to put a Cameron-Moon on the throne.

Name: Theo Key
Callsign: Grandpa / Obligation-3
Pronouns: He/Him
Homeworld: Summer
House: Commoner
Strengths: Experienced Veteran
Weaknesses: No Growth Potential
Gunnery: 2 / Piloting: 3 / Guts: 1
Background: Theo Key signed up with the Star League Defense Force in 2735. At only eighteen years of age, his tests showed he had high aptitude as a Mechwarrior. Although his skills in the cockpit were everything the Star League had hoped, Theo showed little aptitude for command and was never Mustanged into a lieutenancy. After two decades in service, he earned what he still considers to be a ‘pity promotion’ to Master Sergeant. In 2762, he was mustered out of 18th Army’s 292nd BattleMech division due to his ‘deteriorating skills’ and was reassigned to the Star League Astrological Mapping Corps. While he considers this something of a ‘working retirement’ he nonetheless plans to “re-up” for another decade in 2765.

Name: Zawadi Stewart
Callsign: Rampart / Obligation-2
Homeworld: Stewart
House: Stewart
Strengths: Member of a Ducal House, Good Growth Potential
Weaknesses: Reluctant Soldier
Gunnery: 4 / Piloting: 4 / Guts: 3
Background: Zawadi Stewart would have been content running a science lab or research library and wiling away her time studying whichever topic captured her fancy. Unfortunately, her uncle, the Earl of Stewart, had different plans in mind. Given a choice between an arranged marriage or a tour of duty to make political contacts in the SLDF, Zawadi chose the latter. She was swiftly promoted thanks in part to her potential as a Mechwarrior but mostly due to pressure from the Earl. The only thing that’s held back her career thus far has been her own reluctance as a combatant, Zawadi practically jumped at the chance for reassignment to the Star League Astrological Mapping Corps.

Name: Vladyslava Havrylyuk
Callsign: Ironhead / Obligation-1
Homeworld: New Earth
House: Commoner
Strengths: Courageous, Good Growth Potential
Weaknesses: Inexperienced
Gunnery: 4 / Piloting: 5 / Guts: 4
Background: A young hothead, Vladyslava Havrrylyuk was assigned straight from the academy to the Star League Astronomical Mapping Corps. She still rankles at the assignment, as she’d much rather be serving in a more prestigious position with a higher chance of earning herself a lieutenancy. Her irritation at her backwater posting has made her rather uncooperative and insubordinate; but she’s still nearly always the first to throw herself into danger if her lancemates need her.

Starting Assets:
Tramp-class JumpShip “Key Largo”
- Captain: Captain Arseniy Bergfalk

Confederate-class DropShip “Dimetrodon”
- Captain: Commander Hanna Ryoji
- Chief Technician: SSgt. Mikal Krantz
- Marine Leader: Lt. Radomir Cardozo
- Bay 1: 4 BattleMechs (Obligation Lance)
- - Obligation-1: HOP-4Dc Hoplite
- - Obligation-2: BJ-1X Blackjack
- - Obligation-3: STN-3L Sentinel
- - Obligation-4: MON-66b Mongoose
- Bay 2: 1 Empty Mechbay, 1 Mechbay converted to temporary storage (Rations and supplies)
- Bay 3: ‘Mech Parts and supplies

Aqueduct-class DropShip “Goddess Orinoco”
- Captain: Commander Masood Jung
- Bay 1: 2 DropShuttles
- Bay 2 - 4: Fuel
- Bay 5: drinking water
- Bay 6: 2 spare BattleMechs
- - Spare-1: Unknown BattleMech
- - Spare-2: Unknown BattleMech
- Bay 7: Rations and supplies

Buccaneer-class DropShip “Bichon Frisé”
- Captain: Commander Jovian Shearer
- Bay 1: Communications equipment
- Bay 2: Survey and scientific equipment
- Bay 3: Rations and supplies

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Table of Contents
Mission 1: Into the Unknown
1-1 1-2 1-3 1-4 1-5 1-6 1-7 1-8 1-9

Downtime 1A 1B 1C

Mission 2: Eye of Balor
2-1 2-2 2-3 2-4 2-5 2-6 2-7 2-8 2-9 2-10 2-11 2-12

Downtime 2A 2B 2C

Mission 3: Dragon's Teeth
3-1 3-2 3-3 3-4 3-5 3-6 3-7 3-8 3-9 3-10 3-11 3-12 3-13 3-14

Downtime 3A 3B 3C

Mission 4: Showdown at High Noon
4-1 4-2 4-3 4-4 4-5 4-6 4-7 4-8 4-9 4-10 4-11 4-12 4-13 4-14

Downtime 4A 4B

Other Stuff
By biosterous

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 6, 2024

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Introduction: Into the Unknown
Tramp-class JumpShip “Key Largo”
Epsilon Pegasus - Zenith Jump Point
Spinward Periphery
January 5th, 2763

“Looks like you got unlucky, Lieutenant. A free trip all the way to the deep Periphery, and you won’t even be setting foot on Epsilon Pegasus.” Captain Bergfalk drummed his fingers against the armrest of his command chair. The central position offered an excellent view of the holotank on the bridge of the Key Largo. Not that the holotank was necessary, a trio of DropShips hung large and clearly visible through the bridge’s open viewports. Their engines burned faintly as they bled away the last of their momentum, each aiming to coast to a stop within reach of the Tramp-class JumpShip’s magnetic tethers.

“We knew that would be the case when they did not let me disembark with the Cargomasters,” Lieutenant Syntyche Cameron-Moon spoke with the overly-formal precision that was currently in vogue with Terran members of the SLDF. She wasn’t Terran herself; but what had once been sarcastic mockery had become so ingrained that the stilted speech had long-since grown into an unconscious habit.

“Thank you, captain. Do you know my assignment? And which airlock you’ll be towing it to?” She was on the bridge only with captain Bergfalk’s forbearance; but the experienced spacer paid her bad habit no mind. They were all a part of the Star League Defense Force, they’d both tolerated far worse.

The captain picked up his noteputer, and after a few seconds to wake it up and log in, announced. “Dimetrodon. Docking collar three.”

“Understood. Thank you, Captain.” Syntyche dipped her head, “With your leave, I will get out of the way of your bridge crew and await their arrival at the docking ring.”

“That eager to see your new ride?” The captain shook his head, and muttered with amusement. “Groundpounders. Have at it, Lieutenant. Far be it from me to keep a Mechwarrior from her BattleMech.”

Syntyche snapped a quick but lazy salute, and pulled herself along the bridge railing. She’d long-since grown accustomed to microgravity, but the motorized handles that ran the length of the Tramp-class DropShip weren’t an easy grab. She caught one on the first try, and let it tow her past the ship’s grav deck towards the docking collars. Even after the ship docked, the Mechwarriors would be spending four to six hours a day on the grav deck to avoid losing too much bone mass. The crews and technicians aboard the newly-arrived ships would get significantly less guaranteed grav time, but the deck would soon be absolutely teeming with people around the clock.

She caught a wall stanchion near the airlock and settled in to wait. It was less than a half hour before the first rumble of contact shook the Key Largo’s hull. As the first hiss of the airlocks reached her ears a quartet of bored marines and the Key Largo’s quartermaster joined her at the stanchion. The former carried submachineguns and anti-boarding shotguns. The latter just held a clipboard, and hadn’t even bothered to don body armor. If any of the ships had been hostile they’d just have blown the Key Largo out of space; the odds of anyone sneaking an actual commando team this far out in the periphery was slim; and if they had Epsilon Pegasus itself would’ve been the far more tempting target.

She waited out the initial meeting, tuning out the minutia as the Key Largo’s quartermaster exchanged greetings and manifests with the Dimetrodon. With everything in order, he departed down the corridor to await the arrival of the next ship and left a pair of marines to guard the now-open airlock. As soon as he’d departed, Syntyche handed her paperwork over to the Dimetrodon’s quartermaster.

“Welcome aboard, Lieutenant.” He studied them for only a few moments before snapping a quick but lazy salute, in classic spacer fashion. “Or—do you prefer, My Lady?”

“Lieutenant,” Syntyche managed to avoid a sigh. It was a fair question, the nobility could be touchy and Terran nobles especially so. It was also a question she’d heard over and over since she’d graduated, and half-wished there was a checkbox she could mark on her ID card.

He handed her a noteputer linked to the Dimetrodon’s internal network. “Noted. Your team is in their quarters. Keep your noteputer handy, the captain will need to talk to you, but has—”

“—Post-docking checklists,” She nodded. “Not my first rodeo, I’ll await the captain’s summons.”

The quartermaster nodded, and returned to his own business and Syntyche descended into the Dimetrodon. The air aboard the DropShip was a different flavor of stale. Machine oil and body odor were omni-present aboard starships; but a BattleMech hauler always added the acrid scents of spilled coolant and ozone from hasty repairs. No amount of airing the ship out would ever make those scents fade completely. They were almost comforting in their own way. The Dimetrodon was a fighting ship, if only a small one.

With a button press she opened the door to her team’s stateroom. Individual bunks were a luxury onboard a DropShip; and on a little Lance carrier the ship’s entire compliment of Mechwarriors would share a single bunkroom. Three pairs of eyes turned her way. Followed by three salutes.

She returned the salutes with a pleasant crispness; and quickly assessed her team. Their dossiers would be accessible on her noteputer but she liked to make her initial introduction tabula rasa. Impressions were important and she didn’t want hers tainted by decades of desk jockey performance reviews.

Two sported the stripes of master sergeants: an unassuming man a little past middle-aged with a thick but regulation salt-and-pepper beard; and a woman probably a year or two older than Syntyche herself. Two senior non-comms to keep her out of trouble; but the way the young woman glanced at the older man told her everything she needed.

“Sergeant,” she greeted the man formally, and offered her hand. “Lieutenant Syntyche Cameron-Moon. Please, call me Lieutenant Moon. I will be assuming command of the lance, effective immediately.”

“Welcome, Lieutenant. Sergeant Theo Key.” He shook her hand firmly, then introduced the others in turn. “Sergeant Zawadi Stewart. Sergeant Vladyslava Havrylyuk.” The latter didn’t sport a master sergeant’s crossbars. She was likely a year or two Syntyche’s junior and Just a regular Mechwarrior, then. Theo’s face split into a friendly grin as he turned back to the other ranking sergeant. “See? I told you she’d be sharp.”

“Only when I need to be,” Syntyche smiled, pulling herself through the doorway and down into one of the room’s chairs. Like most DropShip furniture, it was bolted to the floor. She could’ve strapped herself into it, but settled for just lightly gripping the armrest instead. “And preferably only when I need to jab hostiles with something. Captain has not briefed me yet. Do any of you know our orders?”

“We’re a legitimate team. Non-covert; just anti-piracy detail. The Bichon Frisé’s a legitimate survey ship.” Theo smiled almost apologetically, “We’ll be bound Spinward, towards one of the Department of Mega Engineering’s pet projects. Almost no chance we’ll wind up fighting Kurita regulars, sorry. Worst-case scenario we’ll wind up suppressing a squatter colony.”

“Goddess, I hope not,” Zawadi Stewart exclaimed.

“Periphery’s been really up-in-arms lately,” Theo replied. “It’s what your Blackjack’s designed for.”

“It wouldn’t be my first choice either,” Syntyche announced. “So we will only have to decide what lines we will cross if it ever comes up.”

“Why’re you talking like that?” Vladyslava asked, idly bouncing a rubber ball off the stateroom’s ceiling. Unlike the others, she hadn’t even bothered to take a seat at the table, and was slowly pushing herself across the room by throwing and catching the toy.

It took Syntyche a moment, when she caught on she bit back a groan. “Oh—poo poo. Sorry, it’s the latest Terran fad. Ultra-formality. I started doing it just to make fun of them and now I just can’t seem to stop.”

Confederate-class DropShip “Dimetrodon”
HR8482 – Unnamed Star System
Spinward Periphery
February 12th, 2763

“What do you make of that? Squatter colony? Pirates? Rock formation?” Commander Hanna Ryoji gestured at the large flatscreen that took up the central portion of the Dimetrodon’s bridge. The little DropShip was too small to warrant a full holo-tank, which would’ve been fine if the ship’s optics had been worth a drat. They were on their third overflight now and while it was clear they were looking at something the grainy, green-tinted image was reluctant to reveal its secrets.

“Freeze the feed for a moment?”

The image froze, and without the constantly shifting pixels distorting the view, Syntyche was convinced. She gestured at the screen with a finger, tracing out an image. “Lower quarter. Two humanoid shadows.”

“Could be humans,” Commander Ryoji mused.

“Humans standing next to boxes in an empty desert; sure,” Syntyche agreed. “Or BattleMech standing next to buildings. If it’s BattleMechs, it’s pirates—or someone’s been making some really terrible business deals. That ravine’s a perfect place to hide a little DropShip, too. We should check it out in person.”

“I’ll radio the Bichon Frisé. The science team can put their landing on hold. Or pick a greener pasture to take their mineral samples in. How close do you want me to touch down?”

Syntyche considered. “Close enough that they can’t run, not so close that they can take potshots on the way down. Think you can manage five kilometers?”

The captain grinned, “If I took the helm, we could manage five meters.”

“Five k’s plenty,” Syntyche grinned back, then turned towards the exit. “I’ll keep that in mind for next time. We’ll need thirty minutes to warm up the ‘Mechs so—two more orbits?”

“Roger. Attitude controls, bring us about—prepare for a deceleration burn. Helm, get me a landing site within five clicks. Take your time, and double-check the math. Our ground-pounders have been napping so long they need a little coffee before we drop.”

Map Preview

Player List is open. Please send me a PM if you’re interested in playing this mission!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hell yes, classic Battletech is back! And right as everything is about to go to hell in the Sphere to boot :black101:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 30, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can't wait to go back to the Inner Sphere with the smoking gun of Combine involvement and have Kerensky ignore it because he thinks that's taking sides!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oooh, looking forwards to the fresh start!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloody Pom posted:

Hell yes, classic Battletech is back! And right as everything is about to go to hell in the Sphere to boot :black101:

^^^^

Tossing off a pm, this is an era I never played in and I can't wait to see what terrible things happen to us

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm interested in our lance commander being from a Cameron cadet branch. Could lead to some fun outcomes if she's still kicking by the time Richie-boy comes down with a terminal case of laser poisoning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Got my four, with an alternate. As always, alternates will be guaranteed to play in the next mission if they don't get called up (and if they still want to play).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Got my four, with an alternate. As always, alternates will be guaranteed to play in the next mission if they don't get called up (and if they still want to play).

Please let us know when more open signups will be available.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Following this with interest, looking forward to more big stompy robot action. :black101:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Astrology has evolved a lot in the last thousand years, hasn't it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
As always, following and reading

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

As always, following and reading

:same:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

“We knew that would be the case when they did not let me disembark with the Cargomasters,” Lieutenant Syntyche Cameron-Moon spoke with the overly-formal precision that was currently in vogue with Terran members of the SLDF. She wasn’t Terran herself; but what had once been sarcastic mockery had become so ingrained that the stilted speech had long-since grown into an unconscious habit.

Love a good history foreshadowing joke, and also love taking the piss out of the Clans whenever possible. Even centuries before their formation.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hello!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Poptartsninja: this is completely unrelated, but what is that floating head state east of the Outworlds Alliance? I checked on Sarna but couldn't get a match and don't have a copy of interstellar players(?) that covers the deep periphery states. My first guess was Micah Majority but they're closer to the DC I believe.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That's the New Delphi Compact. They don't even really qualify as a minor periphery power.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

so we have a star map, but unless i'm missing something I don't see our current location highlighted?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Epsilon Pegasus is almost dead center in the emblem above the Draconis Combine. We're heading "east"/Spinward from there, towards the right side of the map.

There are things out there, but they're not on this map.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, so heading towards Jarnfolk territory? Could be interesting, though they don't maintain any standing military or `Mech forces.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
We're poking our noses into a region that's known as the "Dark Expanse"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PoptartsNinja posted:

Epsilon Pegasus is almost dead center in the emblem above the Draconis Combine. We're heading "east"/Spinward from there, towards the right side of the map.

There are things out there, but they're not on this map.

Thanks!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yesssss more battletech!

i binged the previous PTN BT threads over the last few months and now i get to follow this one from the start, this is lovely

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's the New Delphi Compact. They don't even really qualify as a minor periphery power.

Thanks, the deep periphery states could be more interesting than the big houses. It's a shame that they focused on Space Rome, Space Spain, Space Germans mk. 2 and Space Norse mk. 2. At least we'll always have Niops.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
New Delphi are basically the space Amish with a weird techno-aristocracy that keeps the JumpShips working and does medical research.

They'd have some of the best medical care in the entire setting if it weren't for the virus they accidentally spread to all of their planets that kills 10% of everyone it infects (and with death tolls even higher for people without immunity).

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

New Delphi are basically the space Amish with a weird techno-aristocracy that keeps the JumpShips working and does medical research.

They'd have some of the best medical care in the entire setting if it weren't for the virus they accidentally spread to all of their planets that kills 10% of everyone it infects (and with death tolls even higher for people without immunity).

See, it's this kind of thing that makes the periphery the setting of some of the most interesting stories in battletech. Looking forward to this thread like finding a new book by a favorite author.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Glad to have you back PTN. Using the last days of the Star League as a setting opens up some exciting possibilities for the future, and I can't wait to see where the story goes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Glad to have you back PTN. Using the last days of the Star League as a setting opens up some exciting possibilities for the future, and I can't wait to see where the story goes.

Through the actions of goons, we suddenly don't have an (instantly) collapsing Star League anymore. And we get rid of the Clans! Which I as an ardent clanner would hate, but would solve so many balance issues.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You guys are thinking about a decade too far ahead for Amaris and a good quarter turn on the ol' clock to do anything about Alexy K and the Periphery Uprising.

I suspect PTN wants to tell a new and original story instead of rehashing 50% of the "what if?" conversations about BT in the last 35 years.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

You guys are thinking about a decade too far ahead for Amaris and a good quarter turn on the ol' clock to do anything about Alexy K and the Periphery Uprising.

I suspect PTN wants to tell a new and original story instead of rehashing 50% of the "what if?" conversations about BT in the last 35 years.

Yeah, the Star League dies in 2742, people just didn't know it yet. By this point in the story, trust in the institution is so badly undermined by their repeated failures in the Third Hidden War it would collapse on its own even without Amaris.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PoptartsNinja posted:

We're poking our noses into a region that's known as the "Dark Expanse"

:ohdear:

Ominous!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Are the torso values on the mech sheets

Front
Rear
Internal

Or

Front
Internal
Rear?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Front Armor
Structure
Rear Armor

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Front,
Internal,
Rear.

Also we're classically we would be looking at mechs from the front, but PTN has changed it to from the inside, so the arm on the left on the picture is the left arm, as would be the case should you look down to your left, correctly, as it would make sense to a pilot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am hoping to get in in a future round, hopefully my schedule will accommodate the goon rush on sign ups.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There will be more leeway with later mission sign-ups. Since no one has had a chance to go yet, I figured first four was fine for mission #1

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Knowing the history of Battletech this is gonna end in a clusterfuck isn't it, or are we going to be rewriting history too?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Why not both? It can be an entirely new clusterfuck, one with hyperspace dragon cults and human sacrifice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Name: Syntyche Cameron-Moon
[...]
Although she is still technically in the line of succession, it would take an unprecedented disaster to put a Cameron-Moon on the throne.

thread goal imo