Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Moonlit Knight posted:

1. yes
2. Mat's leaning forward before the cut and backward afterwards
3. Rand's looking down when we see him from the front, but standing ramrod straight when he's shot from the back. Then at the end it cuts from one frontal shot to slightly farther one and his stance doesn't quite line up

I'm not excusing this or w/e but I'm genuinely glad my brain is too smooth to ever notice stuff like this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

Gwaihir posted:

I'm not excusing this or w/e but I'm genuinely glad my brain is too smooth to ever notice stuff like this at all.

Yeah, for some reason this bothers me very easily. I realize it's ultimately nitpicking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also number 3 could easily be on purpose because of the whole dream world thing. The kinda stuff you see when Ishamael is talking to Min for example.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Could be, but I don't think so; in the Ishamael scenes, the camera just holds on him and he jerks, it doesn't happen on a cut.

But that does raise a question: does he do that intentionally to gently caress with people? I don't think it's happened with Lanfear, has it?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think he is just doing it to gently caress with people, we haven't seen Lanfear do it at all. Except when pretending to be Rand to Ishamael lol.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Moonlit Knight posted:

Could be, but I don't think so; in the Ishamael scenes, the camera just holds on him and he jerks, it doesn't happen on a cut.

But that does raise a question: does he do that intentionally to gently caress with people? I don't think it's happened with Lanfear, has it?

Lanfear is supposedly better at the dream world stuff than Ishy is, so the jerks and things may be more subtle than ishy's.

But loving with people could also be a viable answer too

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
This show has a talent of making 1h feel like 4h but not in a good way...

The pacing just feels off. I liked Egwene's story in the recent ep (unlike Rand's which continues to be just so flat...) but there is just too much other stuff going on and instead of exploring her story properly we constantly jump around the various subplots.
I get that this is sometimes necessary but if you want to do an intense story like Egwene's it feels like it deserves more focus.

As non-book reader the show still just doesn't feel cohesive enough. They pack a lot of "things" in but there is just too much noise in each episode like they are going through a checklist of things that need to be shown. They achieve the feat of making the show feel too slow AND too fast at the same time, just for very different reasons.
I have no idea what the "goal" of this season is. As bad as s1 could be at times, it did follow a fairly typical structure while I can't say that I know where this season is going, what the characters want to achieve, what the stakes are etc. (that doesn't mean I can't GUESS them but they aren't presented very well).
We are now six episodes in and I'm not sure what the show is building towards, there is just no natural flow.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Yeah, I'm enjoying it but I can't tell if there's gonna be a wrap up of the season or if it'll just cliffhanger into season 3 in 2026.

The feeling of constantly swapping off characters you want to see more of in favor of other story lines that are frustrating is exactly the experience of the books, haha

I wanna see more Logain training rand. I love that Rand learned to summon an uncontrollable amount of power but didn't bother to take a few hours to learn how to do anything with it before heading off to fight an army to rescue egwene. Classic rand

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 23, 2023

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

drat, that's intense.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

there was one moment of Ishmael speaking to Rand where the ADR speech didn't line up with his jaw movements, speaking of nitpicks

This episode was sick, I feel awful for Egwene but dang I'm really enjoying the show.

I thought about looking up some fanfic and then realized how loving stupid I can be. There are whole rear end books. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

my cat is norris posted:

I thought about looking up some fanfic and then realized how loving stupid I can be. There are whole rear end books. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

If all you want is a quick fix, the books are not for you. It’s impressive what Rafe et al are doing to squeeze the source material into 64 episodes while also doing extra world building not present in the books, but that still means leaving an astonishing amount of material out.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is the one I noticed, in part because of the dialog? He has a sort of pensive expression for a moment but it cuts a beat too soon into him going 'You know what, you need to make me trust you.' There's no moment of realization after he turns it over in his head so it felt incongruous.

Besides some kinda weird editting though I think the show has hit stride. I've gotten to the point that I'm telling people I think it's worth watching for more than just book-people. S1 shaky, S2 going places and is finally, well -- weird enough? Coming into it's own, more than just a LoTR analog.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

0/10 trash-tier ep no aviendha

(the sul'dam getting pretzel'd was so cool)

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
I get the feeling Rafe and co. decided to get around the fact that Amazon is only willing to give them 8 episodes by making the episodes as long as possible. Then some exec saw the final cuts and complained about the length, so they cut out the long title sequence. And then the exec rolled his eyes and demanded they cut another minute from each ep, just to swing his dick around, so some poor editor had to go through in a rush and shave 1 or 2 seconds off each scene.

Or maybe they just suck at editing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

i say swears online posted:

0/10 trash-tier ep no aviendha

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Are there really folks confused about where the season is headed? My wife and my non-reader friends all have a pretty good idea of what it's building toward in a general sense. I think the show has all but explicitly stated it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devorum posted:

Are there really folks confused about where the season is headed? My wife and my non-reader friends all have a pretty good idea of what it's building toward in a general sense. I think the show has all but explicitly stated it.

There really are folks confused about it. One of them posted on this very page. Just goes to show that you can’t please everyone all the time: if you make things so obvious nobody misses the story, then people will complain about telling and not showing—but err in the other direction and different people will complain about lack of clarity.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grundulum posted:

If all you want is a quick fix, the books are not for you. It’s impressive what Rafe et al are doing to squeeze the source material into 64 episodes while also doing extra world building not present in the books, but that still means leaving an astonishing amount of material out.

Is 64 episodes from an interview or something? I can barely piece together how they're going to finish book 2 in the last two episodes but apparently they're going to fit the next twelve after it into six seasons?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

IcePhoenix posted:

Is 64 episodes from an interview or something? I can barely piece together how they're going to finish book 2 in the last two episodes but apparently they're going to fit the next twelve after it into six seasons?

Yea Rafe has stated he has an 8 season plan. Though I also think it’s because he believes that’s the most Amazon will give him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Without getting too deep into book chat 8 seasons sounds pretty doable. The middle section of the book series slows down real hard and could be squeezed into like 1.5 seasons

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah I guess if I think about it there's definitely some stuff that they can speedrun or just outright cut that takes up a lot of time in the books

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They could easily condense The Slog into one season (or less).

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
WoT season 2 has been a lot of fun, but it's the only reason I have Amazon prime. Apparently Amazon is going to start putting in ads, with an option to pay extra to remove them. Looks like I'll be watching the rest of this series from the seven seas, yarrrr

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/22/media/amazon-prime-video-ads/index.html

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah I already do. Their streaming service is total garbage, you can't even see a list of the stuff that doesn't have ads now. So it's almost impossible to find anything you want. Cancelled it quite a while ago.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Grundulum posted:

There really are folks confused about it. One of them posted on this very page. Just goes to show that you can’t please everyone all the time: if you make things so obvious nobody misses the story, then people will complain about telling and not showing—but err in the other direction and different people will complain about lack of clarity.

Uh, at the risk of being that guy, yeah, I'm a little confused about where they're heading. I've enjoyed the season so far, but the overall goal is hard to see beyond "get Rand to kill the Dark One at some point". Everyone's kinda split up at the moment pursuing their own thing -- Moiraine needs to get her powers back and make nice with Lan, Mat was just convinced not to join Rand so he's kinda twiddling his thumbs I guess, Rand is learning how to use magic, Perrin is on his own little journey, Egwene is off trying on fancy jewelry and making new friends. I suppose the season finale will be Nynaeve and Redhead trying to break Egwene out of custody?

But it does feel a little rudderless at the moment. It's like
Step 1: Find the Dragon Reborn
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Dragon beats the Dark One.

I'm not sure what they need to accomplish before the final battle starts, but it feels like in a better-organized world they should have all just stayed at the White Tower to learn magic, and I dunno, maybe sent out powerful teams of magic-users to check on the other Forsaken tombs?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Phenotype posted:

drat, this is spot on. You summarized 15 doorstop novels very well.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Uh, at the risk of being that guy, yeah, I'm a little confused about where they're heading. I've enjoyed the season so far, but the overall goal is hard to see beyond "get Rand to kill the Dark One at some point". Everyone's kinda split up at the moment pursuing their own thing -- Moiraine needs to get her powers back and make nice with Lan, Mat was just convinced not to join Rand so he's kinda twiddling his thumbs I guess, Rand is learning how to use magic, Perrin is on his own little journey, Egwene is off trying on fancy jewelry and making new friends. I suppose the season finale will be Nynaeve and Redhead trying to break Egwene out of custody?

I'm not sure what they need to accomplish before the final battle starts, but it feels like in a better-organized world they should have all just stayed at the White Tower to learn magic, and I dunno, maybe sent out powerful teams of magic-users to check on the other Forsaken tombs?
Well Season 1 was:
Step 2: Throw him at the Dark One at the Eye of the World

Except that Step 3 turned out to be: Mistakenly free the Dark One‘s strongest Lieutenant (and lose the Horn of Valere).

Right now everyone is still reacting to the consequences of that and to other schemes by the Ishamael. There is no well-thought out Step 2 except maybe get Rand some training, because that can’t be wrong, right?

Ishamael is in the driving seat and everyone else is reacting to that. The start of Season 2 was all about showing that the apparent simple Chosen One story of Season 1 was an illusion. There is no easy step 2, there is no easy, quick victory.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phenotype posted:

Uh, at the risk of being that guy, yeah, I'm a little confused about where they're heading. I

There's no good answer to that without spoilers other than keep watching.

I expect next episode will have a lot of answers for people with this question.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 23, 2023

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

drat, this is spot on. You summarized 15 doorstop novels very well.

This is very disingenuous. Almost every individual book sets up a clear arc(s), and book 2 certainly does. Season 2 feeling kind of aimless is a genuine problem with it.

arteliad fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 23, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"Egwene is off trying on fancy jewelry and making new friends." got a good laugh out of me

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phenotype posted:

Ishamael's chat with Lanfear spelled out exactly what's happening this season: He's gathering the dragon's friends in falme, corrupting or breaking them in various ways, and then luring Rand there to turn him to the dark via despair, promising his friends will be saved, etc. This wasn't really ambiguous, they literally just laid it out on screen "here's my plan"

He has explicitly set up Egwene's (and Nynaeve, before liandrin freeed her to gently caress with Suroth) capture and enslavement, had Fain lure Perrin, Loial, and the Shienarans with the horn, and used Min to set Mat on a path there with Rand after loving with his head, too.

Rand is clearly aware of what's going on thanks to Lanfear, but he's going to go there anyhow because that's who he is.

Moiraine is kinda spinning her wheels, sure, but that's also literally her story arc right now, she's rudderless without her power and sense of direction.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Ishamael's chat with Lanfear spelled out exactly what's happening this season: He's gathering the dragon's friends in falme, corrupting or breaking them in various ways, and then luring Rand there to turn him to the dark via despair, promising his friends will be saved, etc. This wasn't really ambiguous, they literally just laid it out on screen "here's my plan"

He has explicitly set up Egwene's (and Nynaeve, before liandrin freeed her to gently caress with Suroth) capture and enslavement, had Fain lure Perrin, Loial, and the Shienarans with the horn, and used Min to set Mat on a path there with Rand after loving with his head, too.

Rand is clearly aware of what's going on thanks to Lanfear, but he's going to go there anyhow because that's who he is.

Moiraine is kinda spinning her wheels, sure, but that's also literally her story arc right now, she's rudderless without her power and sense of direction.

I think some of the confusion is that that is all framed from the bad guys side. There doesn't seem to be much of a coherent anything on the good side. Almost every show like this frames season arcs from the good side mainly.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

D-Pad posted:

I think some of the confusion is that that is all framed from the bad guys side. There doesn't seem to be much of a coherent anything on the good side. Almost every show like this frames season arcs from the good side mainly.

Yeah it’s a bit like seasons of the shield where it would start the season with the person going after Vic and the whole season would be about how he and the team would wriggle out from the jaws of the trap. They set it up here with the very first scene of the season - the gathering of darkfriends led by Ishy. I think we could have used one more scene at the start to hammer it home — or even calling back to it more in the “previously on…” to make it more explicit.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That was a tough episode to watch. gently caress slavers, wanna see the "I think we can be friends" lady eat sand.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

That was a tough episode to watch. gently caress slavers, wanna see the "I think we can be friends" lady eat sand.
Fully agree with you there.

It really drove home that the Seanchan do not see channelers as human. They view them as intelligent animals/pets.

I actually wonder how close that is to how slavers and other groups thought/think about other people as sub-human.

You can really see the hurt in Renna‘s eyes when Egwene isn‘t able to pour water after burning up the tree.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 23, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

DTurtle posted:

Fully agree with you there.

It really drove home that the Seanchan do not see channelers as human. They view them as intelligent animals/pets.

yep, also the shot where she scratches the side of egwenes head like a dog:stare:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, I guess people are probably predisposed to think "oh the bad guy who says multiple times he's called the father of lies isn't telling the truth about his goals" to be fair, lol.

But still, when things play out exactly how he says he wants, so far, you gotta put some credence to his words.

I think it's pretty straightforward overall- The bad guys are 3000 years old with all the knowledge, and the good guys are literally country bumpkins and some wizards working from fragments of fragments of knowledge. The bad guys are gonna be in the driver's seat initially for sure, and we're just waiting to see how the good guys are gonna throw a wrench in their plans.

We're already seeing hints of how the good guys have a chance- the folks on the side of the dark one are selfish assholes and don't hesitate to gently caress each other over, like Liandrin did to Suroth by slicing the girl's bindings before taking back off in to the ways. Or Lanfear saying "hey, I know you were working for Ishy, but now you're mine, I've got my own deal going."

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Do we know if the pronunciations of names on the show are the "official" ones? If so I have been saying quite a lot of them the wrong way in my head all these years.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oasx posted:

Do we know if the pronunciations of names on the show are the "official" ones? If so I have been saying quite a lot of them the wrong way in my head all these years.

"Official" hasn't been as "official" as one might think for basically ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Oasx posted:

The audiobooks change pronunciation several times, sometimes in the same book when Kate and Michael say a name differently.

And then the show says them differently from that.

Wild for a series with a detailed glossary and pronunciation guide in the back.

Bear in mind, I said "Nin-ah-eve" from like 1992-1999.