Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Yeah, that New World guild drama made me realize I am way too old for this stuff. What's wrong with just having a fun chat zone where someone can occasionally post Goku ASCII art, that's all I really want in a guild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The solution to that problem is to just not let anyone who Cares A Whole Lot run the guild or discord server, that seems to usually be the inciting incident for that kind of poo poo - some dipshit who wants to be In Charge because it makes them important or whatever.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

anyone who wants to run a guild should be ejected from said guild

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The fundamental issue is that running a guild sucks and the only people who want to deal with it are also probably the last people who should be running it, but alas...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps the same could be said of forums...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my experience with ff14 goon guilds is mostly just people trying to decide which girl its the wokest to gently caress (weirdly they think loving the guys is unwoke)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I would, if anything, argue the opposite.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Last King posted:

has anyone tried the last descendant? is it just another warframe clone?

Yes, and sort of. The gameplay loop is a Destiny clone, the game systems are ripped straight out of Warframe. I also wouldn't call any of the 3 an MMO.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

I think Classic WoW and FFXIV are the only cases where that hasn't happened, and maybe Age of Wushu? Every other mmo I've played with goons or heard about goons playing there's been at least one major catastrophic drama bomb that's resulted in a big split or dissolution or some other insane poo poo.

Archeage and New World are two of my favorite examples but there are so, so many.

What happened in ArcheAge and New World?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Autisanal Cheese posted:

What happened in ArcheAge and New World?

ArcheAge had a guy named BobFromMarketing in the guild that was like a really hardcore fisher or something that the leadership thought was very important for the guild's success, so when they discovered that he was a known child groomer that had gotten the boot from eve goonswarm a while back for it, they tried to sweep it under the rug so he could keep making them money. That did not work out so well.

The New World guild was run by Tempus Thales, a kinda creepy MMO obsessed freak that had tried to be the guy in charge for several game releases in a row and finally succeeded by being the loudest about it. He had a couple of the permabanned Kiwifarms guys on his discord server and burned the place down on top of everyone's heads when we loudly objected to that, more or less.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
little known fact, those groups are linked to each other

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the new world drama was stupid but worth it because it got rid of both TT and the GDN bot lol

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I can’t remember, why did people hate the bot so much?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Endorph posted:

my experience with ff14 goon guilds is mostly just people trying to decide which girl its the wokest to gently caress (weirdly they think loving the guys is unwoke)

I shouldn't be surprised that the goon guilds cross-pollinated the "which female NPC is hottest?" and "how can I be the most Internet Leftist about fantasy politics?" discourses, but here we are

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pandaal posted:

I can’t remember, why did people hate the bot so much?

Here is a link to the thread

Brute Squad posted:

proposal: a discord bot to help goons find other goons to play games on

reality: a group of nazi j4g's stalk, doxx, and harass goons for not playing games "the right way" and/or for being trans

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Guilds almost always devolve into absolute insanity and/or corruption and it usually comes from the moment it goes from being a collection of friends in a formal group to a entity in its own right. If you're making decisions "for the good of the guild" you've basically made a LLC.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here we go. This also helps.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
The best guilds I've been in have been run by someone who only does some niche activity like specialty crafting and is only vaguely interested in the rest of the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah at a very basic level it's dumb True Goon nonsense but the fact that it had recycled code from a discord-log saving spybot and multiple internet dipshits like kiwifarms idiots and the like had admin and code access tainted the whole thing.

kale repeatedly tried to distance himself and the bot from TT (but not to the extent of removing his moderator access to it lol) but TT's still got this as his discord status

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

The lore of this website truly is a rich tapestry

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Boatmurdered was a microcosm after all.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Fajita Queen posted:

ArcheAge had a guy named BobFromMarketing in the guild that was like a really hardcore fisher or something that the leadership thought was very important for the guild's success, so when they discovered that he was a known child groomer that had gotten the boot from eve goonswarm a while back for it, they tried to sweep it under the rug so he could keep making them money. That did not work out so well.

The New World guild was run by Tempus Thales, a kinda creepy MMO obsessed freak that had tried to be the guy in charge for several game releases in a row and finally succeeded by being the loudest about it. He had a couple of the permabanned Kiwifarms guys on his discord server and burned the place down on top of everyone's heads when we loudly objected to that, more or less.

TT was extremely cringy and was a goon-obsessed weirdo. He tried to make goon gamer merch and sell it to other goons, because he thought people would want to proudly advertise themselves as members of the forums in real life. He was a j4g and a lot of people knew this but nobody cared enough at the time to make a stink about it, because joining for the games forum wasn’t super uncommon and also we were all late 20s+ with better things to do. He was obsessed with the idea of goons being superior to other gamer groups and was ironically the epitome of exactly what most of us didn’t want to be or associate with.

He wanted to be in charge of a bunch of game guilds but nobody really liked him so it took a while for him to position himself well enough to do it. Once he had a strong enough influence due to control over GDN, he was able to weasel himself into a guild leadership position. Some people protested and even avoided the guild because he was in charge. Once his discord snooping via the bot and links to kiwifarms and nazis came out everything fell apart, to the roaring cacophony of random goons saying “told you something was wrong with him”.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The idea of making legendary goon merch is incredible. I mean I joined the forum largely J4G at the start and heard all the EVE Online stories about goons, but it took like three weeks to realize that goons aren't good at games so much as completely obsessive about singular topics.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

In vanilla classic TT and a friend of his were set to join our group for instance grinding from 1 to 60. Day 1 he was slow and bad and started tilting about how we should wait for him. Dude was abusive to his friend so we replaced TT with DeadLikeRev which was a godsend. I like to think that drama was the start of his downfall. We were on his case to the nth degree from there and Rev was a big part of rallying folks to push him out.

As a big lurker it was nice to get involved with some goon drama instead of just hearing about it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that was always one of the funniest parts, not only did most people hate him and didn't want to play with him, and not only was he a pathetic j4g who joined to sell tshirts, but when he wormed his way into these leadership positions he didn't have the decency to even be good at any of these games lol

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Endorph posted:

DGKK was extremely chill and never really did any of that, at least that i noticed

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

the earliest TT lore I know of is in the secret world he made t-shirts he wanted to sell with the guild logo and kept bugging the guild leader to promote them

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

goons aren't good at games so much as completely obsessive about singular topics.

This is why most of us are still here, I assume.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've usually had a fine experience in goon guilds, but the ones I've joined are usually more the 'chill do what you want nobody cares' type of guilds (GW2, FF14, and a few others).

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've usually had a fine experience in goon guilds, but the ones I've joined are usually more the 'chill do what you want nobody cares' type of guilds (GW2, FF14, and a few others).

Yeah I like starting a new game and having people to chat and play with who are somewhat well behaved instead of taking my chances with completely random weirdos. I've never had a bad experience playing with goons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is a hint

goons are just completely random weirdos who paid 10 bucks

they are literally the same as random weirdos who did not

if you think other people are bad, you should check the lepers colony

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

lol I played NW with the goon guild but didn't know the details, I just assumed TT and the other people who got booted were just obnoxious idiots or something

My whole experience with that game was playing to cap, doing each dungeon except the two level 60 dungeons once or twice each with goons and then quitting the game which took me 3 months very casually

My other goon guild experience has been one of the WoW guilds back in Cata and then DGKK and both were/are totally fine and chill

EDIT: I guess more like two months slightly less casually

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

Here is a hint

goons are just completely random weirdos who paid 10 bucks

they are literally the same as random weirdos who did not

if you think other people are bad, you should check the lepers colony

I think this is demonstrably untrue in some places, unfortunately. Like, being super into Classic WoW for the past ~3 years, it's painfully obvious how we're basically the only large community in that game which doesn't tolerate rampant bigotry. It's really fuckin bad when I hop into a pug GDKP raid or something and get in voice comms.

The internet is really lovely and as bad as certain things have been here at various points, we've done a pretty decent job of keeping out the worst of the lot, or at least making sure they keep that poo poo away from where other goons can see it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Goon groups are some of the best groups for avoiding abuse and rampant toxicity which is not a point in their favor but an utterly damning condemnation of everyone else.

The best thing would be to not attract freaks in the first place but since that is functionally impossible in any group at least they get exposed and expelled more here. Goonswarm is evidence enough of that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Goonswarm is evidence enough of that.

I have some bad news for you,

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

I have some bad news for you,

I meant the fact that goonswarm was severed from the site and new, less lovely corps were set up. If there has been other stuff then leave me my delusions.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I meant the fact that goonswarm was severed from the site and new, less lovely corps were set up. If there has been other stuff then leave me my delusions.

Ah okay gotcha. I thought you were using goonswarm as a good example of actively kicking out shitters lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fajita Queen posted:

I think this is demonstrably untrue in some places, unfortunately. Like, being super into Classic WoW for the past ~3 years, it's painfully obvious how we're basically the only large community in that game which doesn't tolerate rampant bigotry. It's really fuckin bad when I hop into a pug GDKP raid or something and get in voice comms.

The internet is really lovely and as bad as certain things have been here at various points, we've done a pretty decent job of keeping out the worst of the lot, or at least making sure they keep that poo poo away from where other goons can see it.

Yeah, like, it's certainly not a solved problem, but the combination of a comparatively small community, the gradual leftward shift in site politics since the Ron Paul era, a non-prohibitive paywall, and the generally older skew means that you have fewer shitheads pound-for-pound than most other >100 member communities out there. I was in PBC for a couple years before changing DCs and had zero issues at all during my time there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It took a real long time for Kane to be booted despite his open love for lolicon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It took a real long time for Kane to be booted despite his open love for lolicon
i dont remember this in the attitude era