Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

I wouldn't buy a used record without doing that. Good stores will have a player set up so you can test them too.

Yeah. The initial look is to determine if it is visibly damaged. Then if it looks acceptable I move on to playing it in the shop. I have been burned too many times by some invisible defect. I also check discogs to see if the price is in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Boinks posted:

I just walked into my Goodwill and there was an Original Master Recording Dark Side Of The Moon just sitting in front inside of the first record crate.

Well, it didn't clean up like I hoped. It's pretty crackly throughout, but still enjoyable. I get to hear what the MFSL version sounds like for only a buck :buddy:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boinks posted:

Well, it didn't clean up like I hoped. It's pretty crackly throughout, but still enjoyable. I get to hear what the MFSL version sounds like for only a buck :buddy:

Be our guinea pig. Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW7xkQ8pN6M

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Boinks posted:

send it to me and I'll clean it for you. I've got both a vacuum/bristle setup and an ultrasonic cleaner.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

70s prog rock is most authentic with crackles and noise

hell, most of the Gabriel era genesis albums have such a wild tape noise floor that it sounds like they recording his vocals with a box fan running in the booth

all part of the charm

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hell, most of the Gabriel era genesis albums have such a wild tape noise floor that it sounds like they recording his vocals with a box fan running in the booth

all part of the charm

I cleaned the poo poo out of my Porky ATCO Lamb copy and you can still tell in the quieter parts it's definitely an oil embargo record.

But when it gets loud this poo poo SLAMS. The bass on that thing...

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dorium posted:

send it to me and I'll clean it for you. I've got both a vacuum/bristle setup and an ultrasonic cleaner.

I did use a vacuum but still have to try to let the solution soak a bit and see if it gets more dust out. I might take you up on that though cause I'm curious about the ultra sonic cleaner.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

all part of the charm

The recording level is so low on the Peace sections of In the Wake of Poseidon that I hear more crackle that lyrics at the start.

I was reading about the Birotron and it suggested that one of the Mellotron's faults were tape limitations and those created extra noise on recordings. Dunno how true that was. The Birotron had longer tapes - it used 8-tracks - and was gonig to be much better in that regard. Oops.

Also read that Steve Howe pranked Rick Wakeman by taking out his Birotron tapes and put random albums in the 8-track slots instead.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's like night and day after a 2nd cleaning. The stuff must have really been stuck in there.

What would happen if I snorted this??

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Excited as hell for this double lp of stop making sense. Between that and the full koyaanisqatsi getting released those are like... my big wants all taken care of.

And a friend got us both tickets for the IMAX remaster and I am excited as hell.

Maybe, god willing, enough time has passed and enough money might be made that they put aside their differences and some magic may happen. Pipe dreams but you never know

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boinks posted:

Brain Damage / Eclipse

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Brain Damage / Eclipse

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Got some records in

The Postal Service - Everything Will Change (live album)

Have Mercy - Make The Best Of It

Saves The Day - Stay What You Are

also upgraded from my Audio Technica LP60 to a LP120

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Enos Cabell posted:

I wouldn't buy a used record without doing that. Good stores will have a player set up so you can test them too.

I can't recall the last time I saw a record store trying to sell a damaged album, though.

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Red posted:

I can't recall the last time I saw a record store trying to sell a damaged album, though.
The places that care won't, but shops selling Herman's Hermits for $30 function differently. The discount bin can get pretty gnarly in a place like that.

Boinks posted:

You'd probably be okay. Too much, though, and you'd end up in a Floyd hole.

Unrelated note: saw Stop Making Sense in IMAX last night. It was awesome.

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 23, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Red posted:

Sometimes its unintentional. Records can have weird defects that you can't really see at first glance. Also places sell scuffed up stuff all the time, usually priced lower.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If anyone was waiting for a copy that wasn't a gajillion dollar box set:

EDIT: Oh nice, Rubellan Remasters are reissuing Suburban Lawns' Baby EP early next year. It's got a couple clunkers, but the title track loving rips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kDqkOTvJzg

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 24, 2023

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

all part of the charm

problem is both King Crimson and Genesis have a lot of quiet sections in their music which can make the crackling pretty obnoxious. I think all of KC's 70s albums are incredibly dynamic (ok maybe not Lizard and Red), for Genesis I'm thinking more of LP2 of the Lamb

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

If anyone was waiting for a copy that wasn't a gajillion dollar box set:

You've been posting about Cardiacs enough that I got curious and went on youtube and now I'm wondering where they've been all my life

not even just as a rhetoric figure, just legit wondering why I never came across them because it's extremely adjacent to my usual poo poo

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My Lovely Horse posted:

not even just as a rhetoric figure, just legit wondering why I never came across them because it's extremely adjacent to my usual poo poo
The majority of the press they got at the time was absolutely vicious and they never really escaped London despite the influence they would achieve. I feel like everyone gets to the party late including me - I had heard the name in passing but it took till 2019 when at three different concerts a stranger I was having a conversation with would eventually say "...so you're into Cardiacs, right?" And then I re-evaluated my life, 'cause those are very specific vibes to be putting out :v:

Just cracked open the box set last night and it sounds incredible. :toot:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

lol, is this where I confess that from the 90s until just today my brain apparently auto-corrected Cardiacs to Cardigans. So many musical conversations over the years make SO MUCH more sense to me now.

e: ok listened to a few songs, Is This the Life and Tarred and Feathered. Can't believe I've never gotten into these guys before, 90s me was a dumbass.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 26, 2023

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Not vinyl, but thought this was cool:

I've never seen a CD longbox in person (sealed too).

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I had no idea what a longbox was so I just checked the wiki and it's cute to see that they were phased out because they were deemed "wasteful"
how quaint the 90s were with their performative environmentalism as if a bit of cardboard was going to be the difference maker

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Good lord I feel old now. Longboxes were originally so the retailers could use the same bins that records were sold in. They got phased out once CDs were fully trouncing records in sales and you could pack more CDs in a smaller space without the longbox.

I only ever had a handful of longbox releases, almost all of my collection back then was from abusing Columbia House and BMG accounts.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I had no idea what a longbox was so I just checked the wiki and it's cute to see that they were phased out because they were deemed "wasteful"
how quaint the 90s were with their performative environmentalism as if a bit of cardboard was going to be the difference maker

They're wasteful of precious retail shelf space

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

On a similar note (and one that brings us back to vinyl), here's a 7" single still sealed in its original package made to help display it on store record shelves, or to have it hanging from a sales rack.

It's about the height of a 10" record with that cardboard backing insert.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Enos Cabell posted:

Good lord I feel old now. Longboxes were originally so the retailers could use the same bins that records were sold in. They got phased out once CDs were fully trouncing records in sales and you could pack more CDs in a smaller space without the longbox.

I only ever had a handful of longbox releases, almost all of my collection back then was from abusing Columbia House and BMG accounts.

I have two, both boxsets:
- Beach Boys Good Vibrations
- Beach Boys Pet Sounds Sessions

The Pet Sounds longbox is textured. Good Vibrations was the first to legally issue some of the Smile recordings. Super good box set for its era.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Absolutely marched into Sam Goody with my mom in 1992 when I was 11 and had her buy me this bad boy. :rock:

It was kinda a nice mea culpa for shrinking album art down I guess, but got ditched right quick.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Absolutely marched into Sam Goody with my mom in 1992 when I was 11 and had her buy me this bad boy. :rock:

It was kinda a nice mea culpa for shrinking album art down I guess, but got ditched right quick.

Rob Zombie peaked with this album, so fucken good

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Lol I felt compelled to hide that album from my parents when I got it. They were by no means Puritans but I can't imagine them letting me buy that when I was 11.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Enos Cabell posted:

Rob Zombie peaked with this album, so fucken good

Astrocreep will always have a special place in my heart. I rented that from the library when it came out and it still blows my mind to this day.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

On the scale of millions of cds, it would matter. The problem is that it can’t be the only thing you do. It’s like I could eat a vegetable a day, but if I just gorge on Chicken McNuggets the rest of the day, I will still die.

Less happy because I ate a vegetable when I could have had more McNuggets.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
UDiscoverMusic put up a few pop-punk and emo records up for preorder today, most notably Thursday's War All The Time.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/products/thursday-war-all-the-time-limited-edition-lp

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I got two Mac Miller albums today; got GOOD:AM for myself and my partner surprised me with Blue Slide Park. :love:

I also grabbed the last copy of the new Oliver Tree album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Savers run yesterday.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Savers run yesterday.

Send me the Dokken :O

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

Send me the Dokken :O

Big Willie Style is far and away the most valuable of the lot but the jacket is kinda trashed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WOOOOOW Big Willie Style. Never seen one of those in the wild.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

Savers run yesterday.

Big Daddy is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a pretty good haul from the local record show yesterday.