Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FireWorksWell posted:

Probably shouldn't be in here until I finish the show but oh well.

Well it's nice to know Finn gets a romantic interest closer to his age at least, I think they mention PB being really really old.

I'm only tangentially aware of most AT lore, but isn't it implied that most of the other beings are from before the mushroom war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Neito posted:

I'm only tangentially aware of most AT lore, but isn't it implied that most of the other beings are from before the mushroom war?

I think a lot of them are mutants caused by the mushroom war? Also one thing I noticed upon watching the series again is while they refer to the waste from the bombs as radioactive, they don't call them atomic bombs but rather mutagenic bombs.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

That could have been a weird decision from higher up, too. Kind of like 80s - 90s shows saying "destroy" instead of "kill."

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Waffle! posted:

That could have been a weird decision from higher up, too. Kind of like 80s - 90s shows saying "destroy" instead of "kill."

The Ocean dub of Dragon Ball Z referred to killing as "Phasing into another dimension" or being "Sent to the next dimension", which was a hilarious choice.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Not mousing over spoilers since I'm in the middle of finishing up the original so I can watch Fionna and Cake, but it's funny to see other goons hitting the same wall I did. The Flame Princess stuff was where I fell off, not so much because it was low energy and boring (it didn't help) but also because it felt like a weird thing where a show about teenage angst and Finn trying to date princesses wasn't really for my grown adult self anymore even if it was probably cool for the audience that was growing up with it.

But now that I kind of know that they stuck with all the deeper lore and character development stuff it's a lot easier to just get through it. Happy to hear that Fionna and Cake is going over well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Me: "I should see what the mushroom thing was about"
*Wiki page scroll bar is about a 16th of an inch long*
Me: "fukkin nope"

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I don't even remember why I stopped watching AT first time but it was also at the flame Princess stuff which probably isn't a coincidence. I think I just lost interest.

And here I am now in S7

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I tried with AT from the beginning, but I didn't get it and stopped. When I picked it up years later I jumped straight to the sixth season and mostly just jumped back and forth for a while and that's when I got the appeal. Pretty sure I haven't seen even half of seasons 2 through 5, but I like the show a lot and I'll probably pick them back up at some point.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
i preferred the show when it was less serialized, but maybe a rewatch would be better.

i also didn't like the fionna and cake episodes after the first one, but wow am i loving the fionna and cake show :3:

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Adventure Time and Regular Show both getting increasingly romance-focused at the same time was like 9/11 to my little kid brain

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

99% of F&C will be adventure time nostalgia for those that grew up on it, but oh boy the animation is actually quite good, this in particular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pipE_nqzp-o

Macaluso posted:

The animator of that sequence is on Twitter as well, and so is the background artist. The background artist, you guys are probably familiar with, Emmy Cicierega.

That's been one of my favorite things about modern cartoons. So much of the crew on these shows is just on twitter posting their work, showing behind the scenes shots, showing animatics and storyboards and standalone backgrounds, and non cleaned up animated sequences, voice talent from a lot of internet personalities that are finally getting to show their voice talents. So much about modern animated shows is able to be appreciated more than it ever has now because of their social media presence, it's really wild when I see people say anything about old cartoons being better. Animation is in a better place than it has ever been. It's so cool that so many artists and animators and storyboard artist, and clean up artists, and whatever else in the pipeline are just on twitter showing their process.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Speaking of which, for those interested in the boarding for that musical number.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmmjkgx-r1Q

I never really got into Adventure Time, but this reminded me quite a lot of this sequence from the Rapunzel spinoff Disney series. The series itself won a bunch of big awards thanks to its animation and bonkers amazing vocal cast, but I remember this song being a huge deal in animation circles when it aired a few years ago because of the storyboarding in general and especially the bit at 2:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1q-dnX21LM

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 22, 2023

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Ccs posted:

I think a lot of them are mutants caused by the mushroom war? Also one thing I noticed upon watching the series again is while they refer to the waste from the bombs as radioactive, they don't call them atomic bombs but rather mutagenic bombs.

My own understanding of the lore is that The bombs used during the Mushroom War were made from the essence of The Lich, extracted from the meteor that hit Earth millions of years in the past during Evergreen. The bombs ended up not only creating The Lich in his modern incarnation, but also affected the nature of the world such that magic became a powerful force on the planet once again. So the various weirdos seen during the series are a combination of mutants from The War and things either created or drawn to the planet after magic re-emerged

Also I'm loving Fionna and Cake so far, from how the story's going I think they're building up to Simon not putting the crown back on and recognizing that the way to help Fionna and Cake is to recognize that the imaginative, slightly far-out part of him that created the old F&C fan fictions didn't entirely come from the madness of the Ice King and that that's the part of him Betty originally fell in love with. Basically him realizing that writing dumb fan fiction about Fionna and Cake is a part of him and something that can help him process his feelings about Betty and the world he now finds himself in.

I'm also really hoping Simon and Betty are reunited in some way, even if it ends up being bittersweet. Given how things went in the episodes leading up to the finale of the original series I'm almost wondering if the reason she's been absent since fusing with GOLB isn't because she's an incomprehensible being of chaos, it's because she took Magic Man's lesson to heart, realized she's kind of lost who she is after making so much of her life revolve around Simon and has needed to take some time alone to find herself again...as an incomprehensible god of chaos. Look, I just really like these two goobers and want them to have some kind of happy ending.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Its really good, I've been going back to check stuff I missed like the Elements and Islands miniseries. I can really feel the show stretching itself as far as it could go as a kids show with those events.

Also the duo of songs in the finale is an emotional whollop. If you manage to get through the first without tearing up, there's a second waiting for you! There's an SDCC video of Rebecca Sugar playing the song she wrong for the finale and John DiMaggio crying all the way through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr53S9vIbCE

Here's the vid for those curious. It's not spoiler-y per se other than obviously being a "finale" song.

KingKalamari posted:

My own understanding of the lore is that The bombs used during the Mushroom War were made from the essence of The Lich, extracted from the meteor that hit Earth millions of years in the past during Evergreen. The bombs ended up not only creating The Lich in his modern incarnation, but also affected the nature of the world such that magic became a powerful force on the planet once again. So the various weirdos seen during the series are a combination of mutants from The War and things either created or drawn to the planet after magic re-emerged

Also I'm loving Fionna and Cake so far, from how the story's going I think they're building up to Simon not putting the crown back on and recognizing that the way to help Fionna and Cake is to recognize that the imaginative, slightly far-out part of him that created the old F&C fan fictions didn't entirely come from the madness of the Ice King and that that's the part of him Betty originally fell in love with. Basically him realizing that writing dumb fan fiction about Fionna and Cake is a part of him and something that can help him process his feelings about Betty and the world he now finds himself in.

I'm also really hoping Simon and Betty are reunited in some way, even if it ends up being bittersweet. Given how things went in the episodes leading up to the finale of the original series I'm almost wondering if the reason she's been absent since fusing with GOLB isn't because she's an incomprehensible being of chaos, it's because she took Magic Man's lesson to heart, realized she's kind of lost who she is after making so much of her life revolve around Simon and has needed to take some time alone to find herself again...as an incomprehensible god of chaos. Look, I just really like these two goobers and want them to have some kind of happy ending.

I think it's heavily implied that Princess Bubblegum is a product of the magic/radiation that came from the mushroom war - she manifests first as a blob and slowly gains sentience until becoming PB. All the candy people and kingdom are actually her creations, and come directly from her, and would not exist without her

I also hit the same wall as everyone else around flame princess time - I think it is just one of the weaker parts of the show and a bit of a slog. It's important for Finn's development so it's still good, it just doesn't hit as well as some of the other stuff. The way they handle his angst and adolescence later is way, way better done. They also got a bit more experimental and less strictly serial later too.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

KingKalamari posted:

Look, I just really like these two goobers and want them to have some kind of happy ending.
:same:

Those flashbacks with Simon and Marcy, that "song" they made out of Simon's notes and unsent letters sorta broke my heart. Goddamn that dude deserved better after raising a kid in the wasteland.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What AT episodes could I watch to get caught up with the story as stands in F&C? I don't fancy watching 7 seasons of AT.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

What AT episodes could I watch to get caught up with the story as stands in F&C? I don't fancy watching 7 seasons of AT.

None, Adam Muto loves the idea of everything being ultimately inscrutable.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

These are the main ones previously referenced, except for the first one, which was included because it introduces the Ice King

Prisoners of Love (S01E03)
Holly Jolly Secrets (S03E19 & S03E20)
I Remember You (S04E25)
Simon & Marcy (S05E14)
The Lich (S04E25)
Finn the Human / Jake the Dog (two-part Season 5 premiere)
Betty (S05E48)
Evergreen (S06E24)
You Forgot Your Floaties (S06E38)
Crossover (S07E23) - follow-up to the AU Finn from "Finn the Human"/"Jake the Dog" with more important Prismo lore
Come Along With Me parts 3 & 4 (S10E15-S10E16) - intersects with an unrelated storyline involving Finn losing his arm and then having it replaced with a cursed sword shaped like a grass sword that becomes a duplicate Finn called Fern who struggles with evil impulses

edit: I integrated the changes from removed thanks alot assbag's post

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 24, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m delighted you all are enjoying it but for someone with only a passing familiarity with the series the last page or so has been utter gibberish.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Flame Princess breakup stuff is good tbh

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

The_Doctor posted:

That's a surprisingly difficult thing to do. While galenanorth gave a good rundown of the episodes directly referenced, just watching those is going to leave some major holes in your understanding of the story. Adventure Time is one of those series that isn't directly serialized but managed to build up a whole bunch of continuity and status quo changes over the years meaning that to understand what's going on in some of the episodes mentioned you'll need to have seen other episodes, which will require you to have seen other episodes.

So, for instance, The season 3 finale episode mentioned in the other post, The Lich, is an episode whose events directly build off the events of a bunch of episodes before it: It's something of a sequel episode to the two parter finale for season 2 (Mortal Folly and Mortal Recoil), but it also heavily involves a character introduced in the final episode of season 1 (Billy), An object introduced in an episode in season 1 (The Enchiridion) and had another episode in season 3 whose events lead directly into it (In Your Footsteps).

There's also a bunch of characters and concepts that show up and play semi-important roles in the series that you'd need to watch episodes not mentioned on the list to understand: The setting for the first couple of episodes has strong connections to concepts from the Islands mini-series, which also requries you to have seen th two parter that sets up the plot of said miniseries as well as 3-4 additional episodes about Susan Strong; one of the two recent episodes is heavily based on the Stakes mini-series, The plot of Come Along with Me and Betty's character arc in general is going to require some degree of familiarity with Magic Man and the Mars society, which requires watching an additional 6+ episodes dealing with Magic Man's backstory, Grob Gob Glob Grod and Mars...

I tried to make up a truncated version of the series that just touches on the main plotlines and it's still over 100 episodes long. Though I guess that's still an improvement over the 284 of the series as a whole...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It took me like a full day to realize that Marceline in the Oops! All Vampires Timeline is called The Star because it's continuing the Tarot theme from Stakes.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Hazo posted:

I never really got into Adventure Time, but this reminded me quite a lot of this sequence from the Rapunzel spinoff Disney series. The series itself won a bunch of big awards thanks to its animation and bonkers amazing vocal cast, but I remember this song being a huge deal in animation circles when it aired a few years ago because of the storyboarding in general and especially the bit at 2:20
That was the clip that got me to watch the show, though I still can't look at the animation without it feeling like a bunch of paper dolls. Maybe it's just me.

the song is killer but it's undermined in context by Cass's betrayal being mostly unearned and her having no plan other than conjuring rocks and making faces

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Every 5 seconds in Fionna and Cake is at least a fun little nod to a past character/storyline. There's definitely some filler and skippable episodes of AT, but trying to breeze through it all and get all the plot would be a challenge.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Fionna and Cake rules so far. It's literally the only example I can think of where a piece of media took all of its previous lore, used it, and congealed it into an excellent sequel story.

What sucks about it, is that if you want to launch directly into it without watching any other Adventure Time, you almost certainly won't understand WHY it's so good. Someone ought to make a clip show primer, or something. The aforementioned list of episodes is good too, but I'd make changes:

Evergreen - is necessary viewing because it introduces the Ice Crown as a Wish Crown
Crossover - more important Prismo lore
and subtract all of the Gumball War stuff and just watch the last half of Come Along With Me

I'm still floored that they made something this good! I hope they stick the landing but I have a LOT of faith that they will.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agreed, in fact I wouldn’t mind seeing more AT related content in the future (even the more adult elements they added to this show feel completely natural)

Though I will also agree that the show doesn’t work quite as well if you don’t have at least a familiarity with the basic plot of Adventure Time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 23, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

galenanorth posted:

These are the main ones previously referenced, except for the first one, which was included because it introduces the Ice King

Prisoners of Love (S01E03)
Holly Jolly Secrets (S03E19 & S03E20)
Simon & Marcy (S05E14)
The Lich (season 3 finale)
Finn the Human / Jake the Dog (two-part Season 4 premiere)
Betty (S05E48)
You Forgot Your Floaties (S06E38)
Bonnie and Neddy (S07E1) - not referenced, included because it explains Princess Bubblegum's timeline and shows the Candy Kingdom. It takes place during an unrelated storyline where a con artist who calls himself the King of Ooo takes over the Candy Kingdom temporarily
Bonnibel Bubblegum (S10E4) - This and the next episode are included because they lead into the finale
Gumbaldia (S10E12)
Come Along With Me (S10E13-S10E16) - intersects with an unrelated storyline involving Finn losing his arm and then having it replaced with a cursed sword shaped like a grass sword that becomes a duplicate Finn called Fern who struggles with evil impulses

You should also watch Stakes. Episodes 6-13 of season seven.

Stakes is really good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Adventure Time is one of the best shows ever made and everyone should watch all of it if only to see the quality progression and evolving lore

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It kinda sucks to newbies like me that they make a whole new AT series that seems like it would be an excellent jumping on point, but in fact it’s the opposite of that, and you need to know basically everything beforehand. Like, at this point I’m almost shrugging and walking away completely.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

You could just go back and watch the show if you're interested. It isn't any less worth watching because it didn't air this week

That's what I'm doing. It was a coincidence though - I didn't even know F+C existed and I haven't liked the alt gender swap versions anyway so I'm more excited about watching distant lands.

I'm sure I'll enjoy F+C when I get to it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It kinda sucks to newbies like me that they make a whole new AT series that seems like it would be an excellent jumping on point, but in fact it’s the opposite of that, and you need to know basically everything beforehand. Like, at this point I’m almost shrugging and walking away completely.

It’s honestly not that bad, I hadn’t seen AT in years and haven’t had any trouble following along so far. As long as you know what Simon's deal is and have at least a passing familiarity with the characters you should be fine

Speaking of though, is the original show and its related specials still up on Paramount+ and the like or did they axe that as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 23, 2023

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I enjoyed the original Adventure Time pilot/short and none of the rest that I tried. Algebraic!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m enjoying Fionna and Cake, I kind of like the extremely brief story Simon gets in the montage at the end of the last episode of Adventure Time, which suggests he gets closure after a long period of trying everything possible to return Betty and is happy with his friends. Seeing him do some version of that same story (probably) in more than three split-second cuts makes me appreciate how good the finale of Adventure Time is. It’s better when most of it is left up to implication.

I feel the same way about the engineer lady taking over the train in Infinity Train. I’m kind of glad they didn’t do their intended season/movie about her taking over the train.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Baldur’s Gate 3 made me put off a lot of TV so I’m just now finishing Praise Petey season 1.

It’s fine, I guess.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Baldur’s Gate 3 made me put off a lot of TV so I’m just now finishing Praise Petey season 1.

It’s fine, I guess.

*with a Reed stick* no! BAD

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Then watch Stakes! Stakes is an excellent jumping on point, it has references to past events and hints at deeper character stuff, but it's also a fully self-contained story arc that you'll be able to grasp and really enjoy even without knowing the background stuff.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Adventure Time is one of the best shows ever made and everyone should watch all of it if only to see the quality progression and evolving lore

empty quote

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, is all of AT (including the specials) still legally available anywhere? Fiona & Cake kind of inspired me to do a rewatch of the original

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is all of AT (including the specials) still legally available anywhere? Fiona & Cake kind of inspired me to do a rewatch of the original

They're all up on (HBO) Max. You have to look for Distant Lands for the post cartoon network pre Fiona and Cake eps.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The best part of any of the original Fiona and cake episodes of adventure time were the punchlines at the end when the whole thing turns out to be the ice kings fanfic he is reading to a captive audience.

This full episode popped into my youtube suggestions with all of the new adventure time stuff out, this is a good episode to watch of adventure time if you want probably one of the best for sad ice king backstory's and a emotional ride, especially if you've ever had a loved one get alzheimers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnCT7d7THpY
Has my recommendation if you haven't watched adventure time before but were curious.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Rewatching Pantheon with a mate, who's never seen it before. Really excited for the new season.