Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

spectralent posted:

Oh.

Well, that might be why I've heard sod all about it, then!

Goonhammer had a good writeup (https://www.goonhammer.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse-takes-one-step-forward-and-two-steps-back/) with a link to the letter by J.F Sambrano. It sounds like the mechanics were aggressively ok, but the big issue is the fluff - it sounds like they went in with good intentions for fixing some of the exploitative stuff from past editions, but when Indigenous folks started suggesting changes that would be more respectful and lead to better actual representation the company instead decided to just strip out all the cultural representations and make the tribes more generically "nature tribe" stuff. Which is both already culturally loaded as being just reskinned interpretations of Natives and a big missed opportunity to actually do representation in a more meaningful way by keeping the connections to different nations but just doing it in a way that was more respectful. And not having an entire Werewolf tribe named after a creature that at least some Native nations take seriously enough that they don't want to see or hear the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tsilkani posted:

For all of Wraeththu's bizarreness, I don't know if it outscores The Everlasting in sheer 'this is a knockoff White Wolf game' magnitude.

Of course, now I realize you haven't reviewed The Everlasting yet, and you really, really need to.
I *think* I have a copy in storage I'd be happy to sacrifice to the System Mastery gods...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There are some mechanical choices that have been.. lets say contenteous. You have two mental damage tracks and near as we could tell from the preview removing points is incredibly rare, and if either fills up you turn into an NPC. Also your rage pool gives you 'bad dice' in your dice pool like hunger dice in V5, where if you get two 1s on rage dice you gently caress up whatever you were doing in a horribly violent way.

Also all the moon bridges just broke or something because the focus of the game is local now.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Tsilkani posted:

For all of Wraeththu's bizarreness, I don't know if it outscores The Everlasting in sheer 'this is a knockoff White Wolf game' magnitude.

Of course, now I realize you haven't reviewed The Everlasting yet, and you really, really need to.

Oh! I thought we were just posting inscrutable systems that seem to not need to exist. In that case we should just jump the gun and post a Nightlife cover, since it feels like a WOD knockoff but actually predates it.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

theironjef posted:

Oh! I thought we were just posting inscrutable systems that seem to not need to exist. In that case we should just jump the gun and post a Nightlife cover, since it feels like a WOD knockoff but actually predates it.

It does WOD "better," too, if I remember the reviews.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hypnobeard posted:

It does WOD "better," too, if I remember the reviews.

Not so much better as different. Like the character creation system is overcomplicated and the setting goes weird in other directions and has its own Very Problematic splat in the Inuit which is unfortunately used as a blanket term for Native American 'nature spirits' with a portrayal as ghastly as one might imagine from a book from 1991. It is not as bad in that regard as WoD wound up being but at the same time it didn't last as long.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still reckon one bit WoD has left to go is aliens. That is, actual aliens. Whether with abductees or infiltrators or hybrids or so on who represent something genuinely outside the known paradigms of the setting whether or not other supernaturals are involved, with vague but sinister agendas and probably completely orthogonal goals to everyone else. And no I don't just mean Changeling, actual aliens from outer space. (Or maybe the future, or the Hollow Earth)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Deros: The Hollowing

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

spectralent posted:

Oh.

Well, that might be why I've heard sod all about it, then!

I think there's also a level of not having the same kind of loyal fandom that OWD Vampire does. W:TF really, really broke badly with the people who were the biggest fans of W:TA, and I don't think that 'hey, we're doing an updated version' almost 20 years after that really has the draw.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still reckon one bit WoD has left to go is aliens. That is, actual aliens. Whether with abductees or infiltrators or hybrids or so on who represent something genuinely outside the known paradigms of the setting whether or not other supernaturals are involved, with vague but sinister agendas and probably completely orthogonal goals to everyone else. And no I don't just mean Changeling, actual aliens from outer space. (Or maybe the future, or the Hollow Earth)

I'm sure people are going to complain about that, but frankly we could do with mixing sci-fi and fantasy up more often again. It used to be a pillar of old fantasy genres, dangit!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The Bee posted:

I'm sure people are going to complain about that, but frankly we could do with mixing sci-fi and fantasy up more often again. It used to be a pillar of old fantasy genres, dangit!

Man. That's one thing I miss from old Might and Magic and Wizardry. Just unashamed 'Yup. There's sci-fi in this fantasy world!'.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Pollyanna posted:

Why is it that every time I read about something World of Darkness-adjacent it always devolves into some disgusting ponytail greaseball poo poo?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Gorelab posted:

Man. That's one thing I miss from old Might and Magic and Wizardry. Just unashamed 'Yup. There's sci-fi in this fantasy world!'.

The best joke in Might and Magic is that elves are actually blue Vulcans.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Bee posted:

Possibly the best bit of CofD fiction involves giant unsealed crypts on the moon, it's not that huge a leap.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I will accept this on the condition that they get Ken Hite to write it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of weird racist poo poo in tradgames, the Terraforming Mars CEO has weighed in yet again on the AI art thing in a way that nobody asked for. https://gizmodo.com/terraforming-mars-ai-artwork-controversy-fryxgames-1850861830

quote:

Fryxelius mentioned that the next game, “a co-operative Viking game called Fates,” has art by a “Western illustrator,” emphasizing that the company spared no expense in making sure it was paying a living wage to the people in charge of those drawings: “We have paid tens of thousands of dollars to have those illustrations made. And not even by some East European illustrator or Asian illustrator, but actually by Western—someone living in the Western world will be doing all the illustrations. That is crazy expensive.” (The way he mentions Asian and Eastern European artists feels very odd, and would not have been my choice of words.) This illustrator is also his sister, so that might have impacted why he was encouraged to pay her a decent rate.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of weird racist poo poo in tradgames, the Terraforming Mars CEO has weighed in yet again on the AI art thing in a way that nobody asked for. https://gizmodo.com/terraforming-mars-ai-artwork-controversy-fryxgames-1850861830

This statement has EVERYTHING. Complete reversal of position on AI art. Weird unforced racism. Unacknowledged suggestions of nepotism.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This statement has EVERYTHING. Complete reversal of position on AI art. Weird unforced racism. Unacknowledged suggestions of nepotism.

It's an incredible commitment to the bit to go "okay fine, I won't hire my brother to make AI art for our games anymore, I'll hire my VERY WESTERN AND NOT AT ALL ASIAN sister to do the art instead, happy now?"

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Have they done sasquatches yet? Bigfoot: The Footening, you can play a squatch, a yeti, or even a skunk ape. Chupacabras as the ancient enemy splat. Put a Jersey Devil or a squonk in there somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there some groundswell of criticism of hiring artists in Eastern Europe or Asia? Then again, emphasizing the race purity of the artist may be a way to appeal to a certain portion of the potential market for a Viking game.

re: aliens, I think oWoD kept kind of having them creep around the edges, like that one weird race of 'I guess they're fomori but maybe they're just monster-people' in the Wyrm book for Werewolf, the stuff the Void Engineers kept running into... obviously, the Void Engineers were well positioned to encounter the aliens.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nessus posted:

Is there some groundswell of criticism of hiring artists in Eastern Europe or Asia? Then again, emphasizing the race purity of the artist may be a way to appeal to a certain portion of the potential market for a Viking game.

re: aliens, I think oWoD kept kind of having them creep around the edges, like that one weird race of 'I guess they're fomori but maybe they're just monster-people' in the Wyrm book for Werewolf, the stuff the Void Engineers kept running into... obviously, the Void Engineers were well positioned to encounter the aliens.

The rates of artists in EE (and I imagine in many Asian countries) are significantly lower than the rates of someone living in the US. I imagine there are some Western illustrators who might feel resentful that they get hired instead of them.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

For what it's worth, the company has always been a family operation: https://www.fryxgames.se/fryxgames-story/

But trying to frame paying a good salary to a sibling as some act of generosity while not mentioning that they are your sibling is pretty weird.

(Not to even mention the separate but equally bizarre race angle.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You think you're playing furry captain planet but then discover you're playing furry Out Of The Dark.

That's not a complaint.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

For what it's worth, the company has always been a family operation: https://www.fryxgames.se/fryxgames-story/

But trying to frame paying a good salary to a sibling as some act of generosity while not mentioning that they are your sibling is pretty weird.

(Not to even mention the separate but equally bizarre race angle.)
Big "We have donated hundreds of thousands to my spouse's charity" vibe

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Splicer posted:

Big "We have donated hundreds of thousands to my spouse's charity" vibe

Getting more of a weirdo scandi-fundie vibe, with the 16 siblings and all that.

EDIT: Took about two minutes of searching and they do indeed describe themselves as “a deeply religious family”.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 23, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kai Tave posted:

I feel like this article and the comments over there really are just handwaving past the weird nazi poo poo. "It's not how I would have phrased it" is a bit understated, and the comments are just LEARN TO CODE poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

It's definitely the latter more than any sort of concern about international art rates or anything given this is the same guy posting in defense of Posie fuckin Parker among others. https://twitter.com/gabbidebourg/status/1702985501668471146

There's more from the rest of the family as well if you feel like reading someone go to bat for Kyle Rittenhouse.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nessus posted:

It could be some sort of jab about people getting mad about games dealing with Eastern cultures or settings using non-Eastern artists (or in the case of the L5R LCG, using the wrong kind of Asian artist) but even generously reading it as a jab at those people, it still reads as oddly racist.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m pretty sure the dude is just racist, given his social media presence.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Kai Tave posted:

There's more from the rest of the family as well if you feel like reading someone go to bat for Kyle Rittenhouse.
Really glad the mod stepped in to prevent off-topic discussions, on both sides.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Aw. Now I get to learn Parker Posie's a lovely person too. Oh well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dawgstar posted:

Aw. Now I get to learn Parker Posie's a lovely person too. Oh well.
Posie Parker is not Parker Posey, if that’s what you are thinking

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Well, that's another company that's never getting a cent from me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

I’m pretty sure the dude is just racist, given his social media presence.

Oh, yeah, for sure he is HELLA racist and this is just him having become comfortable enough that the mask slipped a tad too far and he didn't notice. It becomes a hell of a lot harder to justify supporting a board game designer when they start broadcasting their politics and they're diametrically opposed to everything you believe in, and even harder when you start making "whoopsiedoodle I was "accidentally" racist"/"I'm sorry if I accidentally offended anyone" level statements, because im sure thats going to be the response to that statement.

I'm happy I forgot to back the last Terraforming Mars kickstarter now that I saw that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Liquid Communism posted:

I think there's also a level of not having the same kind of loyal fandom that OWD Vampire does. W:TF really, really broke badly with the people who were the biggest fans of W:TA, and I don't think that 'hey, we're doing an updated version' almost 20 years after that really has the draw.

Nah. W20 was extremely well received and sold well. And most of the followup books did as well as those would be expected to. But the last w20 book has a preface from the new paradox management about how they're going to be making some changes around here and it's full of :biotruths: like how all women really desperately want to have babies and if they say they don't they're lying. Also werewolf sperm can overcome any form of contraception including loving diaphragms. Also some deeply transphobic poo poo I won't repeat. The author came out and said all of those were dictates from swedracula.

And the pressers where W5 was announced was basically "we're gonna make this thing so edgy and full of nazi dog whistles, just like MR*H intended."

Then the new video game came out and it was just incredibly bad.

I'm guessing that there were a lot of people who were waiting for previews and reviews and finding out it's just vampire with the numbers filed off again is not a selling point.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tekopo posted:

Yes, 'Posie Parker' is the sobriquet of one Kellie-Jay Keen, and is not the actress from Blade 3. YouTube essayist Shaun recently put up an overview of this particular transphobe. Content warning: Transphobia, homophobia, racism, antisemitism, suicide, sexual abuse, child sexual abuse, violence, abortion. It's not the easiest watch and is nearly two hours, but it does expose the particularly wretched company that these fuckers will keep.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Man, that's a shame because Terraforming Mars is a great game. Guess I'm never buying any other expansions for it.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Zurai posted:

Man, that's a shame because Terraforming Mars is a great game. Guess I'm never buying any other expansions for it.

just wait for Gen Con next year and look for an unguarded pallet

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It does suddenly make sense that the best way to win Terraforming Mars is to not actually spend money terraforming the planet and instead build a capitalist empire exploiting all the people who are spending money terraforming the planet, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tekopo posted:

That makes a lot more sense.