Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Isn't CRobber already blackballed from Hollywood

And the backers are blueballed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Shanghaied posted:

Restart? Restore? Stop spreading FUD!

There are no second chances in real life! Each retail copy of SQ42 is only good for one, single playthrough. If you fail the main quest, you should be required to buy a brand new copy. So immersive!

I recall that Kojima had some idea like this where he wanted it to brick the game if you died or something so that you would have to buy another one.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/2LcqdRu.gifv

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Actually what is planned is going to be more sophisticated. There will be 3 sources of information about trade and item availability:

The Spectrum - it's the in-game internet. There are going to be online information sources, shops and services - we even know some of the names for services they plan to offer:

Sharrington Cross - both physical in game stores and an online store with delivery options for luxury items.

Epulae Dining - tickets for events and fine dining experiences. The information about Epulae Dining talked about tickets for the Metropolitan Opera House on Mars and Fashion Week on Terra II.

Visangio - A luxury holiday / travel service. There will be resort planets in the Goss system and Helios system.

They also plan for the Spectrum to be multi-platform so that it can be accessed when not logged into the game. You can access the Spectrum via in-game screens, terminals and your mobiglas. We'll be using it in Squadron 42 E1.

The TDD (Trade and Development Division) - it's like a commodities stock exchange and job board. It's in the game now but not functional.

The ARK repository - Players can buy and sell data / content to the ARK repository. Players can make their own news shows, dramas etc and put them on the Spectrum via the ARK.

CIG appreciate the community setting up websites, and communication apps, but it has always been their goal and plan to bring all that functionality into the game and the RSI platform.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's a tragedy he'll be long dead before he can be called out on all his unrealized promises and predictions.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

can't wait to purchase and enjoy a meal and a show at a luxury resort. in a videogame.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

can't wait to purchase and enjoy a meal and a show at a luxury resort. in a videogame.

It’ll be the best rip off of Vegas you’d ever see baby ! Thanks to the grandmaster Chris who for sure has experienced the finest luxury dining in the world

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

quote:

arse-wittery

These types of Poasts Bye P-Cahht might actually be more infuriating than the ones where he's muttering darkly about sinister forces conspiring to bring down "the project".

I mean, what he's describing are zero-gameplay points of zero-interest. Sure, user-generated content, that always goes great. What do you even do gameplay-wise at a "resort planet", much less his proudly parroting the names of two systems that will have them, despite the fact these systems literally don't exist.

Surrrrrrrre, you'll be "using the Spectrum" in "Squadron 42 E1"... except you won't, of course.

Talk about the death of third spaces - every item here, that doesn't exist and won't happen, is a chance to hand over more cash for more less-than-worthless do-nothing digital poo poo.

I assume the "opera house" these berks keep wanking on about is in there because Battlestar Galactica had one.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

If I wanted to go hang out with a bunch of virtual weirdos on a fake vacation planet, I'd just load up Star Trek Online and do /wavehands while people ERP and talk about how goons are [sexually assaulting] them when they jump on the counter and do the dance that has a thrust in it by their character.

edit:

quote:

The project has a quality-first approach and it should be an easy way to recognize trolls and Star Citizen haters whenever this myth is resurfaced periodically.

this has to be the funniest assertion I have ever seen anyone who is a deranged star cultist ever make

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

a deranged star cultist posted:

quality-first approach

Hah, good spot! And it's not true even according to CInG; they themselves say it is Minimum Viable Product (mainly to try to deny refunds I expect).

One reason why we correctly describe the cultists as deranged. Their fantasy grinding its gears against their miserable reality.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Only Kindness posted:

Well, :qq: shrieks of wokery are not just about what-have-you-got-in-your-pants type stuff, it's also every spittle-flecked white male grievance of the last 60 years refocused and given new breath - in Idlefarts' case, one common complaint seems to be the ever-popular Why Are There Women In Positions Of Authority This Is Literally Erasure Of Half The Planet MY IMMERSION. Plenty of mileage in that one.

when Diablo 3 came out they tried to get blizzard to make it so the witch doctor couldn’t go into town because immersion

People are terrible and the steam forums seems to collect and ferment a lot of those opinions for sure

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

These types of Poasts Bye P-Cahht might actually be more infuriating than the ones where he's muttering darkly about sinister forces conspiring to bring down "the project".

I mean, what he's describing are zero-gameplay points of zero-interest. Sure, user-generated content, that always goes great. What do you even do gameplay-wise at a "resort planet", much less his proudly parroting the names of two systems that will have them, despite the fact these systems literally don't exist.

Surrrrrrrre, you'll be "using the Spectrum" in "Squadron 42 E1"... except you won't, of course.

Talk about the death of third spaces - every item here, that doesn't exist and won't happen, is a chance to hand over more cash for more less-than-worthless do-nothing digital poo poo.

I assume the "opera house" these berks keep wanking on about is in there because Battlestar Galactica had one.

you can safely assume anything that is planned to be in SQ42 is a direct rip off of any popular movie or tv show that has space in it

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Star Trek's Rosa but for Star Citizen

Just endless space top gear commercials

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Hanging out at the space resort with my space friends. They’re all just out of shot having space fun too

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol we’re quickly approaching the ELEVENTH anniversary of the Kickstarter.

I'm kinda sad that we've permanently passed the era of the "Graph of exaggerated devtimes to show that SC's development is normal." Ah, well we still have the memories... and the Imgur links:

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

smellmycheese posted:

Hanging out at the space resort with my space friends. They’re all just out of shot having space fun too

Hey I'm there too. Press F to initiate space massage. Then let's meet up later for wine and cheese tasting.

Really enjoying my life on the resort planet in Star Citizen.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What you're all forgetting is that video games are for children

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

smoobles posted:

What you're all forgetting is that video games are for children

And Star Citizen is a game for 60 year old children.

The mature video game.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
LOL Starfield...

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Better understanding of toolsets and content pipelines than your average citizen, that's for sure.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Viscous Soda posted:

I'm kinda sad that we've permanently passed the era of the "Graph of exaggerated devtimes to show that SC's development is normal." Ah, well we still have the memories... and the Imgur links:

The new one will have Starfield stretched out 25 years and you will feel grief

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

Better understanding of toolsets and content pipelines than your average citizen, that's for sure.

Probably better hygiene, manners and fashion sense too

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I am a software engineer and have worked on many projects where an app has to retrieve, parse, format and store data. It can be cumbersome but I have lots of experience doing that sort of thing. So a year ago I decided, just for fun and to learn a new web technology I was interested in, that I would build a "Ship Finder" service where a user could weight their favorite game loops (ex: combat 50%, hauling 30%, mining 15%, FPS 5%), specify various parameters (ex: at least 100 cargo space, purchasable in-game < 3 million aUEC, quantum range X and speed Y), etc. The app would analyze the user requirements and assign a score for each ship in the game for each stated requirement, then derive a total score from the subset, and spit back an ordered list of ships that, based upon the numbers, were the best matches for the user.

So I dove into the convoluted, tangled spaghetti mess of data and started parsing. A more wretched hive of scum and villainy, I have never seen. Most of the ship and component data is stored in XML files, and they were the biggest mess imaginable. Often improperly nested a dozen or more levels deep, tags opened but never closed, tons of pointless wrapper tags that held no data and served no purpose but to nest the data deeper. Awfully-named nodes that frequently had similar-but-slightly-different names for different ships even though each wrapped identical data, making it impossible to traverse the data structure one ship to the next. And on and on ad nauseam. Here's an example of what a tiny part of my parsing code looked like: https://archive.ph/uxTGF (go easy on me! I'm a Java dev first, PHP second). And that's after all the weapons, shields, coolers, etc, had already been parsed by other classes. I gave up after about 2 weeks when it became clear that nearly every vehicle (well over 100 of them) would require at least some degree of custom code. Writing it would have been a nightmare; maintaining it from release to release completely, utterly and hopelessly impossible.

quote:

This illustrates the issue even better. Here's the xml that was in-place at the time for the Cutlass Black: https://archive.ph/Xjc76

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 23, 2023

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Thinking about buying Starfield, but CitizenCon is right around the corner. Would hate to buy Starfield with SQ42 maybe, possibly, about to be announced as releasing soon...

No way I could keep the shtick up... Just wanted to put it out there that Starfield is what I expected from SQ42. Starfield with Cyberpunk graphics/environments and some Star Wars Squadrons tacked on and I think I'd be satisfied...

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Star Wars Squadrons deserves a followup. :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

dialhforhero posted:

No it doesn't. X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Alliance do.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mirificus posted:

I am a software engineer
Reads to me like throwing coders at the wall to try to get things done, meanwhile every new spaceship has got to release on time so we can hit sales targets....

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

FishMcCool posted:

No it doesn't. X-Wing/TIE Fighter/Alliance do.

I mean, in an extremely large amount of ways it…is.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol remember when they released some design sketches of the bad guy alien ships and the cockpit layout was such that it forced the copilot to be eating the pilots rear end?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol remember when they released some design sketches of the bad guy alien ships and the cockpit layout was such that it forced the copilot to be eating the pilots rear end?

PissCat will be along to explain that AssSniffing Aliens are fundamental to Croberts space vision

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

smellmycheese posted:

PissCat will be along to explain that AssSniffing Aliens are fundamental to Croberts space vision

"If you attended the barhopping drug party at Civcon 2018, you would have heard Chris explain his visionary idea of a race who's ships are powered by the sexual pheromones secreted by the Assmunchers from Uranus, who's main way of maintaining the extreme orgasms required to generate sufficient pheromones were by eating rear end. If you were especially lucky that year, you would would have then been part of a select group that were invited to have the technique demonstrated for them in Chris's VIP suite that night. Chris was especially proud of this race as he did the full mocap for them himself."

Sorry, I couldn't think of a way to stretch the joke out to a novel like Pisscat would have.

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Blue On Blue posted:

the entire basis of this whole shitshow is that they imagine SQ42 will sell as many copies in the first week as GTA5 when it was released

we all know it wont do this in its life time, but still

once the billions start rolling in, Chris will pivot to movie making 24/7

which many suspect is the only reason he is involved at all

pretty sure you still can't buy SQ42 from their store lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Randalor posted:

"If you attended the barhopping drug party at Civcon 2018, you would have heard Chris explain his visionary idea of a race who's ships are powered by the sexual pheromones secreted by the Assmunchers from Uranus, who's main way of maintaining the extreme orgasms required to generate sufficient pheromones were by eating rear end. If you were especially lucky that year, you would would have then been part of a select group that were invited to have the technique demonstrated for them in Chris's VIP suite that night. Chris was especially proud of this race as he did the full mocap for them himself."

Sorry, I couldn't think of a way to stretch the joke out to a novel like Pisscat would have.

Don’t apologise. This was very good

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mirificus posted:

<SItemPortLoadoutEntryParams __type="SItemPortLoadoutEntryParams" entityClassName="DRAK_Cutlass_Thruster_Maneuver" inventoryContainer="None" itemPortName="hardpoint_Man_Thruster_Left_Rear_Bot" loadout="None" />

Petition to change thread title to hardpoint_Man_Thruster

E: all of them are Man instead of Main lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

dialhforhero posted:

When it was in its peak and Rogue Squadron was still planned it seemed almost impossible we wouldn't get a followup but then the movie got cancelled and a sequel seemed so far away but I would love for it to happen. If Rogue resurrects as a live action series however the odds of us getting one would likely go up

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

cirus posted:

Shades of that Aliens game that was busted because of a typo.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

cirus posted:

Petition to change thread title to hardpoint_Man_Thruster

Isn't that a name from Space Mutiny?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Randalor posted:

:wave: SirAssmunchALot

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Now we have Starfield; is Star Citizen nothing but a bad memory or does the nightmare live on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

If anything it is just reinforcing justification for eternal delays. In the CIG cultist mind, Starfield was first thought of 20 years ago so that means it has been in development for 20 years. So if a game can take that long and still just be okay, clearly CIG needs to take all the time they can and half rear end nothing!