Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

The XL is where the real innovation

Where's the innovation? Tool changer? The rest has been used successfully for years now, AFAIK,

Got my X1C setup. They sure have a lot of transport screws...otherwise easy enough.
Printed a benchy, which came out good and I'm curious to try some ASA on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Where's the innovation? Tool changer? The rest has been used successfully for years now, AFAIK,

Yeah cheaper tool changer is all it does.

I ended up cancelling mine when I got a P1S with AMS for $1K instead of $4K for the XL with all the heads.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess the big thing for the XL is it's a complete green sheet design, just about everything is custom made and designed with few off the shelf parts. Most of the technology got released to the prusa Mk4 though?

Curious to see what the aftermarket does with the tool charger

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Hadlock posted:

I guess the big thing for the XL is it's a complete green sheet design, just about everything is custom made and designed with few off the shelf parts. Most of the technology got released to the prusa Mk4 though?

That's the hallmark of Prusa. Their technology helps everyone. That alone might be the big thing for the XL.

The XL does a few unique things. The bed is unique, and I suspect it will bear out to be good. Prusa has evidently figured out the head exchange system. And a method for defining the nozzle in 3d space, which isn't a thing in most other printers.

Though not unique to the XL. The strain gauges in the head are a big deal, and I expect that will become industry standard. Now that prusa has figured it out, as usual, other companies are gonna do it. It comes with a large diameter drive wheel extruder, which is a thing that will be the standard coming soon. The planetary gearset also avoids the problems relating to setscrew pinned drive pinions.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nerobro posted:

That's the hallmark of Prusa. Their technology helps everyone. That alone might be the big thing for the XL.

The XL does a few unique things. The bed is unique, and I suspect it will bear out to be good. Prusa has evidently figured out the head exchange system. And a method for defining the nozzle in 3d space, which isn't a thing in most other printers.

Though not unique to the XL. The strain gauges in the head are a big deal, and I expect that will become industry standard. Now that prusa has figured it out, as usual, other companies are gonna do it. It comes with a large diameter drive wheel extruder, which is a thing that will be the standard coming soon. The planetary gearset also avoids the problems relating to setscrew pinned drive pinions.

I've seen multiple heating elements on the bed before. (And load cells aren't new either)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 23, 2023

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

I've seen multiple heating elements on the bed before. (And load cells aren't new either)

Yeah, but we only know of them, because they sucked. Prusa's implementation, doesn't suck. And isn't ONLY for bed sensing. I believe the position of their strain guage can also measure hot end pressure.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 23, 2023

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Yeah, but we only know of them, because they sucked. Prusa's implementation, doesn't suck. And isn't ONLY for bed sensing. I believe the position of their strain guage can also measure hot end pressure.

My impression is that this isn't happening yet, but was mentioned as a possible thing. Similar to when prusa said the first filament sensor on the mk3 could detect jams. Technically true, but it was never implemented due to complexity that they didn't account for before they actually looked into it.

I think the XL we have today is a shadow of the machine it will be in a year, but I also think prusa has a habit of over promising certain things.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean, in a year printers will have advanced across the board, poo poo keeps coming out like every day.
I feel like where printers were a year ago is a shadow of where they are now, there's just so much going on in the space.

I think once good reliable hobbyist printers that didn't need you to spend hours getting your printer to print well the market really saw an uptick in users, which drives more innovation because there's more money in it, and there is a lot of different gradients of users.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I predict the X2C will be amazing, yes. I also predict the X1C will not be upgraded to keep up with this progression.

That's the difference vs the XL that I'm really expecting.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The 3D printed pin board:

The pins:

I am so happy with how this came out and can’t wait to print a dozen more!

But, kind of related… what’s a good way to clean a nozzle? My stringiness is getting a little silly.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

An interesting thing there is that the Bambu A1 has rolled out a jam/tangle detector, so I think they beat Prusa to the punch there if they haven't implemented it in the XL yet.
It has a nozzle pressure sensor it uses to do the 'Active Flow Rate Compensation' stuff, and also detects and pauses on jams or filament tangles.

The A1 seems like a testbed for some of the new stuff that presumably a X2/P2 might roll out with in the future.
A: The jam detection + Flow/pressure sensor.
B: Tool-less, swappable nozzles, without thermal grease. (God, I'd love a X1 toolhead upgrade with that in.)
C: The A1 prototype did have some induction probe in the head that didn't make it to the production version.

I guess one thing that'll gain/burn a lot of goodwill with Bambu is how the transition to newer printers will be.
(X1 -> X2 upgrade kits, for example?)

StrixNebulosa posted:

But, kind of related… what’s a good way to clean a nozzle? My stringiness is getting a little silly.

Cold pull, heat + scrape, or just getting a new nozzle? You're on an ender right? Swapping for a new nozzle is quick n easy, and you'll avoid any wear the old one had.
Nozzles are basically consumables.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 23, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SubNat posted:

Cold pull, heat + scrape, or just getting a new nozzle? You're on an ender right? Swapping for a new nozzle is quick n easy, and you'll avoid any wear the old one had.
Nozzles are basically consumables.

Sweet, good to know! And from a quick glance you can get like ten of them for 10$ on amazon, so perfect that's within my budget. (My budget is consumed by pins and filament)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My prints keep jamming. Like, the filament isn't coming out. I have so far:

* Replaced the nozzle
* Replaced the bowden tube
* Cleaned the extruder
* Adjusted extruder tension
* Made sure the fans are okay
* Replaced the filament multiple times

Every time I try to fix it, it starts out extruding just fine, and then just stops. All I can think of to try next is replacing the hotend and twiddling the extruder tension again.

Or I could flip the table and order this $30 El cheapo "direct drive" unit that's actually got like 2cm of Bowden tube.

Or I could buy that MK4 I've been coveting for a while now. But then I'd still probably want to fix this Ender 3 V2 so I could in good conscience give it to somebody.

Before I drop any money on anything, I figured I should collect opinions from the pig balls forum. Thanks in advance :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dumb question, are you certain the gcode you're using is fine? Like, you've used it before and know it works?

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Have you tried a different roll of filament?

To expand on this, I had a roll of hatchbox petg which was so far out of dimensional tolerance that it would cause the weirdest problems any time I tried to print with it.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dumb question, are you certain the gcode you're using is fine? Like, you've used it before and know it works?

Yes, it's the same gcode that got me my highest rated model on printables :smug: it was still in octoprint.

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

To expand on this, I had a roll of hatchbox petg which was so far out of dimensional tolerance that it would cause the weirdest problems any time I tried to print with it.

I haven't, and that would explain the problems. I'll give that a shot next!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wanted to say thanks for the help, thread.

There was still some odd z-layer shifts going, especially a really bad one where the roof joins but nothing I can't fix and hide when painting. I ended up having to print at 100mm/s way below the 250 default, and turn the cooling fans completely off. Which is annoying because speed and high power cooling is one of the big selling points of this printer. Went from what should of been an 10hr print to a 22hr one. But as I've learned with resin printing I would rather have a slow, successful print than a fast failed one.

Edit: I should also note I had Z Lift turned off, wonder if this could of saved me a lot of headache.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2023

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Ladies and gentlemen, clean your print beds.

Also, that pin board is pretty snazzy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

The 3D printed pin board:

The pins:

I am so happy with how this came out and can’t wait to print a dozen more! But, kind of related… what’s a good way to clean a nozzle? My stringiness is getting a little silly.

I occasionally get these ads on social media to "make your own pin" or whatever and so I looked through your post history to see if I could figure out why and tangentally all your posts have great photos of your prints; your prints have really improved, wow. Great job. Comparing that segmented dragon to that pin board it's hard to believe it's the same operator/machine combo :justpost:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I occasionally get these ads on social media to "make your own pin" or whatever and so I looked through your post history to see if I could figure out why and tangentally all your posts have great photos of your prints; your prints have really improved, wow. Great job. Comparing that segmented dragon to that pin board it's hard to believe it's the same operator/machine combo :justpost:

With perseverance, goon advice and lots of calibration you too can make really awesome prints!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I occasionally get these ads on social media to "make your own pin" or whatever and so I looked through your post history to see if I could figure out why

Also to answer your question: the sadly defunct enamel pin thread. I've moved since I posted it and have all kinds of new/different pins.

A quick tl;dr: enamel pins are fantastic little pieces of artwork that you can hang around the home, put on your clothes, or convert into magnets for your fridge! There's an entire economy about buying and selling and making them, as the machines necessary to make them are all stuck in China, and you have to make pins in batches. Most Americans will see the (kind of terrible) pins you see in malls and such - using this example entirely randomly: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragon-Ball-Super-Ultra-Instinct-Sign-Goku-Enamel-Pin/499562802

Soft enamel pins like this are cheaper, but imho look kind of terrible if you're not careful with design. I in general prefer hard enamel pins like this: https://alchemyartgroup.com/products/025-bubble-tea-pin (I have bought from them before and really like their pins)

Most are 1-2 inches, and can be of literally anything. I love to collect these, and thus we come to the problem of displaying them - I hate the look of corkboard, rigging frame+canvas/cloth is annoying, and while I've had success with felt hexagons purchased from amazon, they're a little annoying to hang, and there's no variance in size/shape without $$$. So, well, 3D printing to the rescue! I'm printing another board as we speak, and if I've done the CAD correctly I'll be able to use a string to hang it on a nail with the little legs.

("why don't you wear your pins" because I collect the limited edition pins - some of my pins are actually worth $$$ and/or aren't replaceable. And some are 4-5 inches and you just can't put that on a hat!)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

AliExpress has the best pins.

I have a 'can I borrow a feeling ' by Kirk van Houten tape pin .

Edit: great I just spent more money on pins I didn't need.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Buying enamel pins on AliExpress is a dangerous game, soon you'll have a pile of 50 pins and question what the hell you're doing

There's also a lot of bootlegs and such on AE so you should maybe consider, if you find a cool pin there, giving etsy or somewhere a quick search and see if you can support the original artist instead

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ding ding ding! This was it. I now suspect a combination of wacky filament and the blue Capricorn tube with needlessly high precision. I'm ordering some of the original clear tubing, which I liked better anyway, and which I hear is more forgiving. I only print PLA and PETG anyhow.

I was all teed up to order an MK4. Had spouse approval and everything. Now the Ender 3v2 is working again, and my plans are ruined! Thanks a lot, jerk!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

cruft posted:

Ding ding ding! This was it. I now suspect a combination of wacky filament and the blue Capricorn tube with needlessly high precision. I'm ordering some of the original clear tubing, which I liked better anyway, and which I hear is more forgiving. I only print PLA and PETG anyhow.

I was all teed up to order an MK4. Had spouse approval and everything. Now the Ender 3v2 is working again, and my plans are ruined! Thanks a lot, jerk!

Capricorn is great for Bowden but not as good for reverse bowden. I would not replace the Bowden with non capricorn usually.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Yes, reliable toolchanger with a lot of fancy and apparently very effective low-to-no effort calibration/zeroing of said tools so it's not just all the hassle of dual print heads all over again.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Aside from standard CA/superglue, what’s the current recommended glue for sticking PLA parts together? I’m just trying to avoid the white residue left from CA glue vapors on finished pieces.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

smax posted:

Aside from standard CA/superglue, what’s the current recommended glue for sticking PLA parts together? I’m just trying to avoid the white residue left from CA glue vapors on finished pieces.

You can avoid the white scuzz left over by using a spray-on accelerant like Zip Kicker.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

cruft posted:

You're welcome. I'm sorry.

Tell your spouse that a random person on the Internet says you deserve a new printer for putting up with an Ender 3v2 for this long.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tell your spouse that a random person on the Internet says you deserve a new printer for putting up with an Ender 3v2 for this long.

A printer that just works is a godsend. Ive had a sovol sv06 for awhile now and it's a decent printer but I feel like I often have something to tinker on with it.

I've already put like a kg through my bambu in a week just because it just friggin works. Like as long as I don't do a dumb thing it prints great..

If ya can.. get a good printer.. you'll print more and use it More

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got a free ender 3 as surplus from a print farm that was upgrading and it has also mostly Just Printed. :iiam:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah. As much as I'd love a Prusa, this has also Just Printed, until apparently I got some cruddy filament. Spending a few hours troubleshooting every two years seems pretty okay to me.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

tater_salad posted:

A printer that just works is a godsend. Ive had a sovol sv06 for awhile now and it's a decent printer but I feel like I often have something to tinker on with it.

I've already put like a kg through my bambu in a week just because it just friggin works. Like as long as I don't do a dumb thing it prints great..

This is exactly how I feel right now, my Sovols were a big step up from the Taz 5 I used for years, but 1 day with the Bambu and if it keeps up like this for the long term I don't see why I'd turn the others on again, it's seems faster than all of them put together.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SubNat posted:

An interesting thing there is that the Bambu A1 has rolled out a jam/tangle detector, so I think they beat Prusa to the punch there if they haven't implemented it in the XL yet.

The XL has a jam detection system using the load cell in the extruder. (This should mean that it's available on the MK4 with the Nextruder, too, but I haven't confirmed that).

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yes, reliable toolchanger with a lot of fancy and apparently very effective low-to-no effort calibration/zeroing of said tools so it's not just all the hassle of dual print heads all over again.

Also toolchangers in general are the only really good way of using multiple materials. Single-nozzle multi-spool systems can work decently for multiple colors of the same stuff (as the AMS demonstrates), but if you're going to be using stuff with significantly different properties in the same print -- say a model material, a flexible material, and a soluble support -- you really need to dedicate a separate extruder to each one.

Toolchangers also let you use both a large and small nozzle in the same print, which is theoretically compelling, though I haven't seen a specific really good example of it yet.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Sagebrush posted:

Toolchangers also let you use both a large and small nozzle in the same print, which is theoretically compelling, though I haven't seen a specific really good example of it yet.

I build anatomical models, and I always have to inflate the size of small structures like some nerves/arteries to a cartoonish scale. I'd love to be able to print a skull at 1.5-2X life scale with a 1.2 mm nozzle and build the nerves on it with a .2 or .4 nozzle so the relative scales are closer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Seems like if you were designing some stuff in CAD and had a bunch of big flat surfaces connecting together the more intricate mounting points/holes you could get away with a 1.2mm nozzle (or wherever the hot end maxes out volumetrically) for 90% of the print and then the 6% of the print that needs the finer detail, roll back to 0.4 or 0.1mm

A lot of what I print is roughly conical in shape, much larger at the bottom and then tapers to a point pretty quick. Would be great to knock out the first 10 layers which almost never have any interesting detail with a 1.0 nozzle, then dial back to 0.4 or 0.6

Printing supports in PLA and the model in PETG (or whatever the magic combo is) seems pretty magical, they just snap apart cleanly with zero mess. At a minimum the 2 tool model seems like a huge win just for that

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had my first spaghetti ball of death overnight. It had printed a good 1-2mm worth of the print before it failed! Well beyond a good first layer. And it was on my K1, so some of it got sucked into the chamber fan. Hope it still works and that it didn't bind up and burn out the motor too.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The XL has a jam detection system using the load cell in the extruder. (This should mean that it's available on the MK4 with the Nextruder, too, but I haven't confirmed that).

Also toolchangers in general are the only really good way of using multiple materials. Single-nozzle multi-spool systems can work decently for multiple colors of the same stuff (as the AMS demonstrates), but if you're going to be using stuff with significantly different properties in the same print -- say a model material, a flexible material, and a soluble support -- you really need to dedicate a separate extruder to each one.

This is the big reason I’m still keeping an eye on the Prusa XL instead of just picking up a Bambu. I’d love to have a really good multi-material option, especially with the recent stuff in Cura that lets you mechanically interface incompatible materials.

Bambu is killer for aesthetic prints, but kind of meh for functional ones. They’re fast but so is my SV06 after I klipperized it; the AMU is their killer app and it’s “only” really good for multicolor printing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's also good for having a secondary support material like petg for a few layers on a pla print.

It's also nice to load a big print and put 2 different rolls of the same stuff in it.

Multicolor is in my future but even just doing single color prints I'm glad I bought the AMS option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
Well I was waffling between a Sovol and a Neptune 4, but now I've won an Ender 3 S1 Pro in a raffle so I guess that's how she goes. Hopefully I can figure this stuff out. Leaving my resin comfort zone is frightening.