Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dark Jedi just (to me ) at least doesn’t make much sense - as in it does not impart much information. The Jedi in the movies all used dark side powers . It seems to presuppose that normal Jedi exclusive use light side powers. Which is bizarre

I do get the short had version of it tho as a reference to moody Jedi in dark robes who are libertarian or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

euphronius posted:

Dark Jedi just (to me ) at least doesn’t make much sense - as in it does not impart much information. The Jedi in the movies all used dark side powers . It seems to presuppose that normal Jedi exclusive use light side powers. Which is bizarre

I do get the short had version of it tho as a reference to moody Jedi in dark robes who are libertarian or whatever

Yeah it makes sense as like what a random person would call someone like that they saw doing force stuff but it's stupid as like a formally defined title or designation people who actually know some stuff about the force would use.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah they talked about this on their Hot Ones episode that came out yesterday. I had always known about it, but what I did not know (and explains this picture) was that it was apparently only 3 of them. Justin Timberlake and Lance Bass were not asked to be in it. Which is weird, it's like having the 95-96 Bulls cameo in your movie, but saying Michael Jordan doesn't need to bother. But Timberlake did say they were a little annoyed about not being asked, but then found it funny when the 3 were cut from the movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 22, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

euphronius posted:

Then you got a bright jedi

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
extremely insane expanded universe thing here which i have extrapolated backwards to justify it: star wars fans love mandalorians a lot, to the point of going to the effort of reconstructing a reasonable conlang out of it, and the prefix 'dar' is basically a negation - for example, 'dar'manda' means 'not mandalorian'. this is because at some point someone said 'dar'jedi' to talk about count dooku or some other idiot, to indicate 'like a jedi but not'. this is super obviously the author writing 'dark jedi' and then dropping the k to make it not english, but i like to think in-universe people who don't speak mandalorian heard someone say 'dar'jedi' and misheard it as 'dark jedi'.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The best possible version of Ahsoka Show so far (barring a substantial re-edit) means skipping episodes 1, 2, and 3 entirely. You'll dodge a feature-length pile of redundant exposition and miss absolutely nothing. The story actually makes more sense without all the convoluted details.

Episode 4 begins in media res with the characters already doing their mission - which makes it quite easy to pick up on who the characters are, and what the mission is.

The show still has some dumb stuff, and tons of redundant exposition, but there'll be far less of it.

Couldn't agree more. They're absolutely unnecessary. They were clearly intended to be a soft introduction to the characters and their mission, but they accomplish nothing that can't be inferred at the beginning of episode 4. And because the intro of the characters is so clunky and poorly written, it's actually better to leave it up to the imagination.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Episodes 4 and 5 establish Thrawn as an actual guy, hiding out at the rear end-end of the universe with a small force, rather than a quasi-mythical figure who can only be discovered by playing Legends of the Hidden Temple.

I'm interested in getting an idea of who the Nightsisters are, like what they really believe and how that plays into whatever new Empire Thrawn presumably wants to create. In the Clone Wars they were really interesting in a way that doesn't have any kind of obvious real-world allegory. Like, they're on the losing end of imperialism, but are also an awful society that sells its own children into slavery for a scrap of power or act of revenge. Like General Buck Naked or something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is he blue in the show?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

euphronius posted:

Is he blue in the show?

Yes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah they talked about this on their Hot Ones episode that came out yesterday. I had always known about it, but what I did not know (and explains this picture) was that it was apparently only 3 of them. Justin Timberlake and Lance Bass were not asked to be in it. Which is weird, it's like having the 95-96 Bulls cameo in your movie, but saying Michael Jordan doesn't need to bother. But Timberlake did say they were a little annoyed about not being asked, but then found it funny when the 3 were cut from the movie.

IIRC Lance/etc. do show up in the comic adaptation which makes it weirder, like whoever did the comic just figured yeah the biggest faces from N*Sync lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I looked up some pictures and they seem to have done a good job with the makeup

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
He has always looked like a guy who should be on star trek.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

euphronius posted:

I think the silliness originates with dividing powers into Dark and Light powers. It's the gamification of the universe seeping back into the universe.

FunkyAl posted:

He has always looked like a guy who should be on star trek.

I didn't ever rate him as a villain in Zahn's books--too much telling me he's this super genius and not enough actual genius plans. But I enjoy him as a villain in this and Rebels precisely because he's a ported over "evil admiral" from Trek.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

This was 100% (my theory) because Lucas’ daughter was into boy bands and pulled the strings as a favor. Probably didn’t bother with JT or Lance because he figured they’d be too expensive.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This was 100% (my theory) because Lucas’ daughter was into boy bands and pulled the strings as a favor.

This was definitely the theory at the time. No idea if it was true.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

This was definitely the theory at the time. No idea if it was true.

It makes a ton of sense. Lucas really showed love to his kids during the prequels, including killing his son on screen.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

why is it impossible that he loves them?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Upsidads posted:

why is it impossible that he loves them?

Low midichlorian count.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Lucas was thrown some big AFI Life Achievement celebration gala and told he could have any musical guest he wanted there, and he chose Maroon 5 because that's who his kids loved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcigYdkjyMQ

Also has Harrison Ford actually enjoying himself and having fun, and ending with an EXTREMELY ironic quote.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PeterWeller posted:

I think the silliness originates with dividing powers into Dark and Light powers. It's the gamification of the universe seeping back into the universe.

I didn't ever rate him as a villain in Zahn's books--too much telling me he's this super genius and not enough actual genius plans. But I enjoy him as a villain in this and Rebels precisely because he's a ported over "evil admiral" from Trek.

That's why I've liked Thrawn since the 90s (unlike you, I felt the same way with the books). It was just like Star Trek invaded Star Wars and look at the results.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

He's got a bit of idiot plot armor where his plans are depth 1 versus depth 0 opponents

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
If only Jedi Master Lan C'Baas and his padawan, Yustyn Timburleik, were still alive during the Clone Wars. They might have stopped Darth Sidious' evil plans.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Basebf555 posted:

It's completely wild that they tossed whatever plans they had for the finale of a trilogy in the garbage and decided ehhhh gently caress it let's just have Poe do a quick monologue about how Palpatine returned and is gonna restart the Empire in 8 hours unless the heroes stop him. It's gotta be one of the more absurd decisions I've ever seen in my 30+ years of watching movies.

banned from Starbucks posted:

What plans were there that they tossed? JJ did his thing with TFA then hot potato'd that poo poo over to RJ who then did whatever the hell he wanted and tossed it back to JJ. Going "actually this all sucks its Sheev time" was probably the best possible way to level out from that nose dive.

stev posted:

I'm not one to give credit to Colin Trevorrow but he probably would have pulled out something better than TROS.
Reposting for a new era
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is9bDMvwqwY

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lance Bass wasn't asked because George Lucas said there were no gay people in Star Wars.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the ahsoka series is bad, but the parted out stormtroopers are pure star wars goodness. i am assuming i can buy a toy for the facemask guy cuz he looks cool as gently caress.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ammanas posted:

the ahsoka series is bad, but the parted out stormtroopers are pure star wars goodness. i am assuming i can buy a toy for the facemask guy cuz he looks cool as gently caress.

Not yet, but I can guarantee it’ll happen. They did just put the Baylan toy up for preorder and he looks excellent.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Having just finished Rebels in time to catch up with Ahsoka, its...fine. Its alright. It never really reaches the highs of Clone Wars, but then it never really reaches the lows of Clone Wars either. Very middle of the road.

Based on the fact that they were depicted in the bad Obi Wan show as this looming existential threat I assumed the inquisitors would have more of a presence, but they really are just like, slightly more threatening than generic stormtroopers but even then not really, and then they all just die offhandedly and that's the end of it. Feels like they only exist because they were were worried about overusing Vader but then underused both instead :shrug:

I remember before Ep. IX was released there was a lot of speculation that the more esoteric mysticism and crazy Force magic from the end of Rebels would play a role in it, Rey using time travel to save Luke or space whales lending a hand or something, and instead they went with...nothing, but I can see how people wanted it to be true because it was the only place left for SW to go that feels even a little bit fresh.

Also the idea of a human-twilek hybrid is so loving weird they should have just not done it I hate it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm interested in getting an idea of who the Nightsisters are, like what they really believe and how that plays into whatever new Empire Thrawn presumably wants to create. In the Clone Wars they were really interesting in a way that doesn't have any kind of obvious real-world allegory. Like, they're on the losing end of imperialism, but are also an awful society that sells its own children into slavery for a scrap of power or act of revenge. Like General Buck Naked or something.

This is actually pretty standard for many victims of imperialism, who have all the worst aspects of their society actively encouraged (and often shown luridly to the imperial core as an excuse for further imperialism and exploitation) and used for cheap labour and human trafficking with the local authorities consisting of the worst people who are actively propped up and rewarded for it.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

PeterWeller posted:

I always disliked how the sequels just went with the light/dark dichotomy of the force which is never present in the OT and PT. There you just use the force in whatever way and if you use it for evil you eventually get corrupted and fall to the dark side, which is more of a metaphor than a real thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always love how the Sith in particular get proper cartoonishly evil and hosed up. Enthusiastic Dark Side users (which is most of them, given it seems to affect you like cocaine) brand themselves in the most ridiculous ways and wallow in their crapulence whenever they can get away with it. Of course they pick names like Darth Sidious, Darth Tyranus and whatever because they consider themselves the best and coolest and the rightful rulers of the galaxy, above the criticism of everyone else, and there's the constant jockeying of favour and secret apprentices and betrayals because they all are actively encouraged to be constantly preparing for when they get to be in charge.

The novelisation of The Phantom Menace (which includes some extra bits I think were cut from the movie, like starting with Anakin returning from an errand and getting rescued by the Sand People, which is some extra irony in hindsight) has the Jedi's understanding of the history of the Sith; that their empire basically destroyed itself, first with the leader getting assassinated and them a bloodbath fighting for succession, until the remainders were easy pickings for the Jedi. But there's some theorising on how they might have survived, and I think Qui-Gon basically describes the Rule of Two as 'cannibalistic leapfrog'.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think that Sith stuff from the Episode I novel came directly from George Lucas too - he's talked about similar things elsewhere:

George Lucas posted:

Everybody said, 'Oh, well, there was a war between the Jedi and the Sith.' Well, that never happened. That’s just made up by fans or somebody. What really happened is, the Sith ruled the universe for a while, 2,000 years ago. Each Sith has an apprentice, but the problem was, each Sith Lord got to be powerful. And the Sith Lords would try to kill each other because they all wanted to be the most powerful. So in the end they killed each other off, and there wasn’t anything left.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Captain Jesus posted:

I always disliked how the sequels just went with the light/dark dichotomy of the force which is never present in the OT and PT. There you just use the force in whatever way and if you use it for evil you eventually get corrupted and fall to the dark side, which is more of a metaphor than a real thing.

The light/dark divide was something that came up in early iterations of Star Wars with sections like

The second draft posted:

s you know, the "Force of Others" has two halves: Ashla, the good, and Bogan, the paraforce or evil part.

It's hard to ignore the obvious implications of a name like "the Dark Side" too.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The light/dark divide was something that came up in early iterations of Star Wars with sections like

It's hard to ignore the obvious implications of a name like "the Dark Side" too.

It’s not hard, because It’s exactly what OT and PT do. Yoda warns Luke to beware the dark side and we see what it does to people, but it’s never explored what the light side would be. You do not get rewarded for doing good things but if you use the force for evil or selfish needs, you risk turning into an evil rear end in a top hat. The only meaningful implication for what the “light” counterpart would be to not use the force at all. The ST speaks about the light side, but we never learn what it’s supposed to be.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
the prequels absolutely gently caress it up. the OT is the only good poo poo

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if you're light side your reward is to be a space cop who never fucks

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

if you're light side your reward is to be a space cop who never fucks

The thing with jedi is that they have to be aloof and only use the force in boring ways so they don't tip over to the dark side, but there is nothing specifically good about them. They kill people, cause mayhem and gently caress up in all kinds of ways. It's more that you have to be a space cop who never fucks in order to get a licence to use the force.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the PT the Jedi had been using dark side powers so much there abilities were atrophied and their vision was clouded. The ill conceived coup of Palpatine was the final dark side power play and that was the end of the Jedi (for awhile )

The scenes with young anakin and qui gin are really informative on how dark the Jedi were

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

euphronius posted:

The scenes with young anakin and qui gin are really informative on how dark the Jedi were

Quigon: *cheats at dice*

Obiwan (years later): In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

While that's one possible implication, it's not the only one. It's ordinary speech to state that, say, someone is a generally a good guy, but they do have their dark side. Whereas I've never heard the opposite construction, that someone is generally a bad guy, but they do have their light side. For there to be "the Force" and "the Dark Side of the Force" fits perfectly well with how something having a "dark side" can work colloquially.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, Dark Side is meant to be like a “fear of the dark” kind of dark. What lurks in the shadows, that kind of thing. And the Jedi are supposed to shine a light on the shadows. Though they clearly lost their way by the time of the prequels.