Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Guy just casually chugging two cans simultaneously after the game is over.

this dude my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1701711603270406328?s=46

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Incorrect, nobody watches football anymore. A guy who is mad about people kneeling told me this and I have no reason to doubt him.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
shocked that happened in Wisconsin. tweet unrelated

https://twitter.com/SquadOfSquidsTV/status/1699411859852455952?s=20

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

anyone know if 22.64m people laughing in unison at the new york jets is also a new record

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Aye Doc posted:

anyone know if 22.64m people laughing in unison at the new york jets is also a new record

How many viewers watched the draft back in the day

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Aye Doc posted:

It might be, some quick googling says only 17~ million people may have watched the Buttfumble game...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/terrellowens/status/1703113215109153187?t=kQTz3LrcOy9xnpjsZvm15g&s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://x.com/SkipBaylesssss/status/1703166936442450026?s=20

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1703793666727289000?s=46

most games will be on abc this year

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The WGA and SAG strikes may inadvertently kill cable even faster as now there will be a whole bunch of channels with even less poo poo on them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought the only reason people still had cable was for sports :confused:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I thought the only reason people still had cable was for sports :confused:

While true... the Mouse is looking to offload the ABC network to get the balance sheets in order.

Trash media companies like Nexstar, Sinclair and even Bryon Allen are circling the waters to make a bid.

The ABC/ESPN properties as we know it are on borrowed time.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/1704121898416607614?s=46

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1704147446052385144?s=46

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm amazed that ESPN didn't yank this game into primetime.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LionYeti posted:

Every Colorado game is in Prime Time

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1704195027797241989?s=46

apparently it doesn’t include aew right now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every Colorado game is in Prime Time

lol perfect

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

at least there's another option for me now, but I think it'll be more expensive? right now I have to have:

$50- sling orange for ESPN/TNT/TBS
$11- sling sports extra for NHL Network
$5- Peacock (thankfully can use my Dad's)
...and this means no Fox or CBS, unless I get Paramount+ for $6

for a total of either $66 or $71 depending on if I get Paramount+. But no Fox. And I have no RSN, which means I'm blacked out of Preds games (I am a Rangers fan so not a huge deal)

$75- fubo for local/espn/rsn
$10- fubo addon for NHL Network
$26- for TNT/TBS/etc.

for a total of $101, bit I get local channels + RSN. and Max.

so...will probably just get Paramount+ in case I want to watch something on Fox. Seems like they have baseball, Big-10, Pac-10, and NASCAR, none of which I really watch. When the World Cup comes around, it might be nice, but I was able to get it on Univision I think? and it was pretty fun. Andres Cantor obviously rules. I have Max temporarily to watch How To with John Wilson and Telemarketers, but I don't really watch it aside, so will probably cancel.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

LionYeti posted:

Seems like a good time slot. No big competition as far as I remembered after the 8pm games ended. You get all the eyes on the west coast and the late nighters on the east coast.

Like I’m sure some people outside of Syracuse and wherever the gently caress Purdue is were watching that game on NBC.

Maybe if the game was on fox they could have had 15 million watching at the peak.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The American Dream posted:

Seems like a good time slot. No big competition as far as I remembered after the 8pm games ended. You get all the eyes on the west coast and the late nighters on the east coast.

Like I’m sure some people outside of Syracuse and wherever the gently caress Purdue is were watching that game on NBC.

Maybe if the game was on fox they could have had 15 million watching at the peak.

There were NO good games last week. If ever there were a time to put that game in prime time it was last week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I have bad news for you it most likely never will

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

at least there's another option for me now, but I think it'll be more expensive? right now I have to have:

for a total of either $66 or $71 depending on if I get Paramount+. But no Fox. And I have no RSN, which means I'm blacked out of Preds games (I am a Rangers fan so not a huge deal)

$26- for TNT/TBS/etc.

so...will probably just get Paramount+ in case I want to watch something on Fox. Seems like they have baseball, Big-10, Pac-10, and NASCAR, none of which I really watch. When the World Cup comes around, it might be nice, but I was able to get it on Univision I think? and it was pretty fun. Andres Cantor obviously rules. I have Max temporarily to watch How To with John Wilson and Telemarketers, but I don't really watch it aside, so will probably cancel.

I know prices vary market to market but I pay less than this for a pretty overstuffed cable pack and HBO which just gives me Max (for now at least).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

$26- for TNT/TBS/etc.

You should look into YoutubeTV. I think that should cover everything you have/are looking for.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

YouTube TV currently doesn't have Bally Sports (in OH, at least). So, that's one thing missing.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
yeah they also don’t have NHL Network unfortunately, which I watch a ton of during the season

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have bad news for you it most likely never will

What else do they even have to really offer

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What else do they even have to really offer

They seem to be going more for a generalized sports package and AEW is kind of to niche to do a lot

Maybe early on when streaming companies were just throwing cash at anyone for content sure but Max is already cutting content because man are they losing money

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I opened the Max app for the first time in a while last night and hoo boy does it suck now. It's almost completely barebones and finding anything is a pain in the rear end.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

They seem to be going more for a generalized sports package and AEW is kind of to niche to do a lot

Maybe early on when streaming companies were just throwing cash at anyone for content sure but Max is already cutting content because man are they losing money

All the major streaming services are likely profitable outside of creating “original content”, and the ones with ads are probably profitable even then. The problem at wb-discovery is that they are 50 billion in debt, not that they aren’t making any money

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DeimosRising posted:

All the major streaming services are likely profitable outside of creating “original content”, and the ones with ads are probably profitable even then. The problem at wb-discovery is that they are 50 billion in debt, not that they aren’t making any money

Well, this is the problem because all of those legacy companies wanted to follow the Netflix model, but forgot they weren't first movers (and also provided the grist for the Netflix mill for 10 years) and decided to spend $x,000,000,000 per year on original programming and movies while also charging way below market rates (except for HBO Max). You also sort of have to have original stuff to acquire subscribers; library content is for retention, but acquisition does require new things.

There's a lane for library services, but FASTs are filling that at the moment and are nowhere near as profitable, so shareholders aren't going to allow that as a main business at this point. This is a problem entirely created by these companies themselves, so it's hard to feel too much (or any) pity for them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mike_V posted:

Well, this is the problem because all of those legacy companies wanted to follow the Netflix model, but forgot they weren't first movers (and also provided the grist for the Netflix mill for 10 years) and decided to spend $x,000,000,000 per year on original programming and movies while also charging way below market rates (except for HBO Max). You also sort of have to have original stuff to acquire subscribers; library content is for retention, but acquisition does require new things.

There's a lane for library services, but FASTs are filling that at the moment and are nowhere near as profitable, so shareholders aren't going to allow that as a main business at this point. This is a problem entirely created by these companies themselves, so it's hard to feel too much (or any) pity for them.

Oh absolutely on the latter (they made this bed by overinvesting in production, and they’re ruining good services by demanding gigantic returns on what by nature is going to be a slow and steady money maker) but you don’t need “acquisition” to be profitable nor am I convinced new content is the only way to drive it. Criterion is making money, Arrow is making money, and they are just rotating libraries and getting licenses on older content. The problem is the gulf between what streaming works for (steady long term income) and what coked up executives want (giant influxes of cash so they can cash checks and bail before it collapses).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

That’s doesn’t really change my point. If they want to get money they need to get products that help them make cash and at this point Max helps AEW way more than it helps Max

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s doesn’t really change my point. If they want to get money they need to get products that help them make cash and at this point Max helps AEW way more than it helps Max

Apparently they disagree.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/aew-will-call-max-its-digital-home-starting-in-2024/

quote:

A big update for the future of AEW.

According to Andrew Zarian on Wrestling Observer Live, AEW will calling the MAX (fka HBO Max) its digital home starting in 2024. Zarian reports that there is a possibility that a December 2023 pay-per-view could potentially be the first thing AEW broadcasts on MAX but that has yet to be confirmed. He also notes that he is uncertain about a price-point, but that AEW is is joining MAX “for sure.”

This was expected as Warner Bros. Discovery has constantly touted the success of AEW, most recently with their ratings success from last week’s AEW Grand Slam programming. You can read about that here.

MAX recently announced a live-sports addition to its app. While AEW was not mentioned as an option, the up-charge in price will most likely cover AEW whenever it does join MAX. This means that AEW’s pay-per-views, Dynamite, Rampage, and Collision replays, as well as a full library of former content, including ROH, will most likely be available to stream.

Neither AEW nor Warner Bros. Discovery have made any official announcements as of yet. Stay tuned.

I don't currently subscribe to MAX but that'll change once they get ppvs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

wandler20 posted:

Apparently they disagree.

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/aew-will-call-max-its-digital-home-starting-in-2024/

I don't currently subscribe to MAX but that'll change once they get ppvs.

Oh I thought there was some actual news but it’s just a podcaster guessing like they’ve been doing for a year now

It’s right around the corner I swear!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I thought there was some actual news but it’s just a podcaster guessing like they’ve been doing for a year now

The only person to trust on poo poo re the business side of wrestling is Brandon Thurson of Wrestlenomics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm going to unsubscribe from max if they get the PPVs because AEW rots your brain.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yea these articles are a plague. "Random guy guesses what might happen" I guess is news now? Gotta fill those web pages somehow I suppose.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
I thought the one positive we would get out of the writers strike is no wrestling on tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao you think the writers on wrestling shows, or the performers are allowed to be union?

lmao Vince didn't have Hogan rat out organizers to allow that poo poo to happen.