Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm at the Pervert's Town in FF7, with my date the flower girl from the slums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al! posted:

they kind of never really figured out multithredding in the gamebryo engine and now they never will. im pretty sure fallout 4 still crashes for me if i try to alt tab out

you literally have to add one thing in the ini and it works ffs.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I game on a Linux computer, the only one who fucks up my PC is me :smuggo:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Real hurthling! posted:

why does starfield only run in full monitor resolution or windowed? i have to like change the settings in my monitor to get 1080p to take up the whole screen lol
need an alt enter mod todd!

dx12 mothafucka. not actually sure though. iirc if you change windows desktop resolution borderless fullscreen will fit to that.

Al! posted:

they kind of never really figured out multithredding in the gamebryo engine and now they never will. im pretty sure fallout 4 still crashes for me if i try to alt tab out

look at your core/thread load while playing? lol?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It might shock some people to find out that your desktop is also not running at 1080p.

It's probably running at the native monitor resolution and windows is just scaling up the image to fit the screen.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lostconfused still hanging onto a 1280x720 i guess

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I have no idea what you're on about.

But it's just Microsoft design philosophy now that everything should be displayed at native resolution and the rendered image itself is scaled as needed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They kind of got there in 2019 https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

But they've been obviously working a lot longer on it than that, I think maybe since 2016.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

It might shock some people to find out that your desktop is also not running at 1080p.

It's probably running at the native monitor resolution and windows is just scaling up the image to fit the screen.

What if the monitor's native resolution is 1080p

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

What if the monitor's native resolution is 1080p

Well then it should be 1080p.

That's why windows has two resolutions listed now in display manager

One is the resolution that the desktop is rendered at and the other is the image that is being sent to the display to show.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

other games work correctly

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

other games work correctly

Did Microsoft make those other games?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bethesda published many of them recently in fact

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Although that's not entirely fair to Microsoft.

Bethesda was always bad at this even before they were bought by Microsoft.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lostconfused posted:

I have no idea what you're on about.

But it's just Microsoft design philosophy now that everything should be displayed at native resolution and the rendered image itself is scaled as needed.

because you're saying native resolution upscaled to 1080p, which makes it sound like you have a monitor with a native resolution lower than that. also the FSE stuff is uh... very case by case. most dx12 games are not using FSO at all (even though like pre-2017 it was only available for dx12 games?). it's something that's never had a good technical explanation and may or may not apply to any given application. usually safe to assume for any game that you can't actually run full screen exclusive FSO is not involved though

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Lostconfused posted:

Well then it should be 1080p.

That's why windows has two resolutions listed now in display manager

One is the resolution that the desktop is rendered at and the other is the image that is being sent to the display to show.

that's a you thing. there's no reason those two should be different unless you want them to be for whatever reason

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

that's a you thing. there's no reason those two should be different unless you want them to be for whatever reason

Just tell me if you want to pick a fight before we keep arguing about this, because you're being contrarian for some reason and I'm not sure why?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
:dafuq:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Been playing Pathfinder wotr on core difficulty and the act 1 tavern defense is awful, it's like pulling teeth instead of a scenario that plays to the game's strenghts

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, I don't know what you want from me.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Al! posted:

i grew up a mac + nes gamer which is an extremely hosed up thing to do to a child

Mac + Sega, I didn’t see a Super Nintendo in person until I was in high school.

played a lot of sim city and educational learning games. also lovely myst ripoffs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

Been playing Pathfinder wotr on core difficulty and the act 1 tavern defense is awful, it's like pulling teeth instead of a scenario that plays to the game's strenghts

Just drop the game to a lower difficulty then, it's really not worth it. Core is too much of a pain in the rear end if you're not exploiting at least some of the pathfinder class and game mechanics.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Just drop the game to a lower difficulty then, it's really not worth it. Core is too much of a pain in the rear end if you're not exploiting at least some of the pathfinder class and game mechanics.

I'm this close to just drop the game all together cause the water elemental fight was actually challenging and fun to try and figure it out, but if this is the type of stuff I can expect from then on then I dunno

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Seriously just lower the difficulty. Because yeah you will run into other situations like that.

The entire game isn't that hard, but there will be some bullshit fights too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's made for Pathfinder fans and the average Pathfinder fan plays to break the game and wants really annoying fights

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maturity and adulthood comes with learning to drop the difficulty levels without shame

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think you need to play until you finish the siege of Drezen to see what Wrath of the Righteous is all about.

But that's a long two act slog and core difficulty will make it more frustrating and annoying than it should be if you're not breaking the game.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i mean core isn't even the default difficulty, you're playing on hard

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

SomethingBeautiful posted:

what the gently caress is microsoft edge and also can i get rid of it?

it started out as a distinct, standards-compliant MS-built lightweight-ish browser offering competition to chrome.

after a while they realized that was too expensive to keep up so they trashed it and released a re-skin of chrome also called Edge.

after a while they realized that wasn’t making any revenue so they added a shitload of adware and toolbars and poo poo built-in.

so now it’s basically chrome preloaded with a full suite if you’re grandma’s favorite IE6 plugins

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zokari posted:

i mean core isn't even the default difficulty, you're playing on hard

Yeah it's not but the game is all like "you should play on core" by tying all the achievements to that difficulty.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The fight has a couple of strategies that knowing now I could prepare beforehand but I'm stuck now that I can't rest anymore but most of all it's annoying as heck because it's a tower defense scenario on a baldurs gate clone

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

as I understand it these days the hurdle to build a new web browser is essentially insurmountable even for the richest companies in the world like MSFT

largely due to that awesome feature of HTML5, embedded native video support, that allowed us to drop things like Flash, but the codecs are not-free and possibly even not-allowed to be used without huge license fees. or something like that. i think that’s also why firefox is on life support and basically funded 100% by google at this point.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Most games don't even do difficulty achievements anymore, there's no reason to play on hard unless you want to

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 17:40 on Sep 23, 2023

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

smarxist posted:

you two are gonna have a lot of fun :)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Just lower the difficulty until you clear this fight and then you can bump it back up.

You've already wasted a day on it or something, you either need to move on or roll back to a much older save, but beating your head against it is not helping.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Just lower the difficulty until you clear this fight and then you can bump it back up.

You've already wasted a day on it or something, you either need to move on or roll back to a much older save, but beating your head against it is not helping.

Among the maxims on Lord Naoshige's wall, there was this one: "Matters of great concern should be treated lightly." Master Ittei commented, "Matters of small concern should be treated seriously."

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

smarxist posted:

it's one of the funnest parts of the game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cloud getting the handjob is peak videogames

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cloud getting the handjob is peak videogames

ran over to the materia shop to sell some crap so I could get the deluxe; no regrets

the way it pivots to controlling aerith after because cloud is all blissed out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
cyberpunk 2.0 ties gunshots to stamina and it's such a good idea for this type of game holy poo poo