Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So are we all just supposed to be accepting and tolerant of people defending Kyle Rittenhouse here now or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

poo poo sucks, adds too many mechanics and not enough fun

all of them suck??

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
infinitum is right, sometimes bringing up that someone is a white supremacist is as bad as defending white supremacists. we don't have a boardgame politics thread but you're welcome to make one, infinitum, so you can pretend there's some place we're supposed to discuss this.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
lmao at defending that gross "we even hired a real artist - a real, White artist! pat us on the back!" statement as anything but the horseshit it is.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

CODChimera posted:

all of them suck??

everyone has a different opinion on which is best, and absolutely none are essential unless your group is 5-6 and dying to play Everdell. That said, supposedly this new standalone, Everdell Farshore, is supposed to be kind of a "greatest hits" for all the stuff they've released thus far.

edit: that said, I bet they release no less than 2 expansions for Farshore.

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 23, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CODChimera posted:

does anyone have thoughts on the many Everdell expansions or is there a breakdown anywhere?
The rough consensus is that Newleaf & Spirecrest are the best, Bellfaire is fine and has less of an impact on the game, and Pearlbrook changes things too much and dominates the game. And don't play with more than one at a time (Bellfaire is a partial exception)

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Impermanent posted:

we don't have a boardgame politics thread

Isn't that basically TG as an Industry?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Went to a friends party, and a mate popped IT Startup out; and we sat in the corner and gave it a burl.

It definitely doesn't work at 2 players, but effectively it's a tableau battler where your cards exhaust naturally over time and are then sent to the discard pile.
I think the skin and iconography could use some work, but there's a fun little game hiding in there.

Would like to find out how it plays with 4 players, as we played 2 rounds of it and we each won a game where we effectively steam rolled the other via lucky card draws.

Impermanent posted:

infinitum is right, sometimes bringing up that someone is a white supremacist is as bad as defending white supremacists. we don't have a boardgame politics thread but you're welcome to make one, infinitum, so you can pretend there's some place we're supposed to discuss this.

It's not that you can't discuss it, the threads done it plenty of times in the past, they were just discussing it like idiots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm glad we have your permission to point out white supremacists in the hobby and get called idiots the same as the one defending it after your last post told us to not have discussion about it here at all.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, this is frankly insane. I consider it a public good of the thread to let me know who repulsive boardgsme industry folks are so that I can avoid them. I mean, I’m at vanishingly low chances of ever buying TfM now, having never played it somehow, but it’s good to know and it has a place in this thread.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I agree it should be okay to say that type of thing, and that there should be no -ism apologia here. But I am also not going to complain when all I've wanted for some time was more aggressive probes.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Infinitum posted:

It's not that you can't discuss it, the threads done it plenty of times in the past, they were just discussing it like idiots.

Just report the post and move on. The thread has asked the mods to probe more proactively for stupid poo poo and they've been doing so.

e: To be clear, the bad posts are the ones defending bigoted poo poo and downplaying it

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 23, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Impermanent posted:

,sometimes bringing up that someone is a white supremacist is as bad as defending white supremacists.

This is never true, and you should be ashamed for thinking it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

rydiafan posted:

This is never true, and you should be ashamed for thinking it.

Pretty sure there was an implied /s there.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You're probably right.

I've just encountered so much "can't we just never mention politics and just enjoy gaming" in the real world (always from straight, white, cis, Christian men), and after the other poster defended the "we won't give money to filthy Asians" thing I'm a prime target to fall for Poe's Law.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 23, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Impermanent posted:

gamegenic and dragon shield both offer that clear fronts and matte backs.

https://gamersguildaz.com/products/dragon-shield-sleeves-standard-matte-clear100-ct

huge recommend for these, I sleeve anything that's going to get serious shuffle time in them. they don't slip around on the table, either!

Hey that's my local store! It's great, and feels like it kinda came out of nowhere.

I'm still trying to talk them into selling me their demo copy of the out of print Unmatched Bigfoot/Robin Hood set

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

canyoneer posted:

Hey that's my local store! It's great, and feels like it kinda came out of nowhere.

I'm still trying to talk them into selling me their demo copy of the out of print Unmatched Bigfoot/Robin Hood set

Are there clear/matte sleeves that aren't US$0.10 each? After a certain point, it's just cheaper to buy a second copy of the game...

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Admiralty Flag posted:

Are there clear/matte sleeves that aren't US$0.10 each? After a certain point, it's just cheaper to buy a second copy of the game...

Arcane Tinmen non-glare "Board Game Sleeves" are $0.05 each.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I finally got Stationfall to the table after first reading about it here. Good fun! It was a bit of a slow start but I think that was because we were all new to it and a bit unsure if the pace and rules. It did pick up towards the end though.

Space chimp managed to win narrowly by having a big back -and-forth over the artifact and eventually making it to an escape pod. Project X was released and left most NPCs dead. I managed to blow up another players' escape pod. Someone described it as a party game for board game nerds and I think that's really apt.

Not great for AP players on account of the freeform gameplay, but on the other hand the heavy rules means you get to spend your downtime reading the rule book. Or rather, most rules are very intuitive but the many exceptions and character abilities makes things complex all the same. And the division between the Launch Manual and the actual Rules are not great, often forcing you to look through both when looking for an answer to a specific question.

All in all, we're excited to play it again.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anybody have feelings on Age of Innovation?

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I finally got Stationfall to the table after first reading about it here. Good fun! It was a bit of a slow start but I think that was because we were all new to it and a bit unsure if the pace and rules. It did pick up towards the end though.

Space chimp managed to win narrowly by having a big back -and-forth over the artifact and eventually making it to an escape pod. Project X was released and left most NPCs dead. I managed to blow up another players' escape pod. Someone described it as a party game for board game nerds and I think that's really apt.

Not great for AP players on account of the freeform gameplay, but on the other hand the heavy rules means you get to spend your downtime reading the rule book. Or rather, most rules are very intuitive but the many exceptions and character abilities makes things complex all the same. And the division between the Launch Manual and the actual Rules are not great, often forcing you to look through both when looking for an answer to a specific question.

All in all, we're excited to play it again.

I want to get this game to the table so badly. Glad to hear it's not disappointing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

rydiafan posted:

You're probably right.

I've just encountered so much "can't we just never mention politics and just enjoy gaming" in the real world (always from straight, white, cis, Christian men), and after the other poster defended the "we won't give money to filthy Asians" thing I'm a prime target to fall for Poe's Law.

the intention is that it should have been read sarcastically, yes. it's sad that we have enough lurking chuds that it can be mistaken, but i understand.

CitizenKeen posted:

I want to get this game to the table so badly. Glad to hear it's not disappointing.

Stationfall is probably the single board game that I most want to play that I cannot see a way forward to actually playing without spending several weeks putting a heist's worth of planning into it.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

CitizenKeen posted:

Anybody have feelings on Age of Innovation?

I've been meaning to make a post about this game since I've fallen in love with Gaia Project and now Age of Innovation the last few months. No one in here ever really talks about the Terra Mystica games, and I wasn't wowed by Terra Mystica when I played it originally one time in 2015 or so. For some reason earlier this year I started looking into Gaia Project and got it for cheap from a local auction. I'm absolutely terrible at these games, and they are pretty heavy, difficult euro games which require a few plays before you really start to understand how to do a good job. Especially your first few games it is hard to get a grasp around the economy, and I had a few games where I felt like I did basically nothing the whole game. Yet every time I played Gaia Project or Age of Innovation I couldn't help but think about what I could have done better, and when we were going to be able to play again. For Age of Innovation specifically, I quite enjoy the art style they went with. The mix-and-match of faction and board means that there's a bit of novelty every time you play, with the caveat that factions do not have as strong of an identity as they do in Terra Mystica or Gaia Project where board and factions are always the same.

Bottom line really is that if you are looking for a tense, optimization puzzle type of euro game I feel that Age of Innovation is pretty top tier. If you have played Terra Mystica and did not enjoy it, I don't think this has enough changes to sway opinions. The rulebook isn't the best, and it seems like it was written with the assumption that you know how to play Terra Mystica already since some concepts are not fully explained. I have only played AoI at 2p so far but look forward to trying it with 3 and 4.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's a lot of chat about them in the old thread I think, if anyone wanted to look it up. I really like GP and thought there was no reason to go back to TM. The changes in AoI look really good, and hopefully the modularity will help smooth out the faction balance curve (and if broken combos are found, a draft mode would hopefully prevent most of that).

Can you speak to play time vs GP at all? After playing a lot of TM digitally and knocking out games in like 10-15 minutes it was hard to go back to 90+ minutes on the table. The upshot of that though was getting so much better at manipulating the system. Aggressive power dumps to eek out an extra few actions per round made your scores soar, and really felt good. Not many games give you that kind of immediate feedback to skilled play, usually just more points for smarter choices, not as much letting you actually do a lot more stuff.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TM and GP are just perennially good games. For me they both fill different niches of the same framework. Same for Terra Nova. In a lot of ways I prefer it to its big brothers because it's a quicker, distilled experience. They are not replacements for each other, but I do like GP a little more.

Anyway I'm playing some AoI tomorrow with some people experienced with TM and GP so I'll post my thoughts then.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The rough consensus is that Newleaf & Spirecrest are the best, Bellfaire is fine and has less of an impact on the game, and Pearlbrook changes things too much and dominates the game. And don't play with more than one at a time (Bellfaire is a partial exception)

cheers, that's basically what I wanted to know, its actually a relief to learn you just play with one expansion at a time

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Acolyte! posted:

Arcane Tinmen non-glare "Board Game Sleeves" are $0.05 each.

Thanks for this. Just put a chunk of sleeves onto my Christmas wish list. I can't bring myself to pay this price for sleeves, but $0.05 each isn't unreasonable, we're at a 1 in/1 out rule on games here at the Flag household for games (so I can't just fill up my list with games), and there are a couple of games I want to sleeve with these. A winning solution all around.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I have a Spirit Island night set up with some work colleagues who like the base game and are interested in getting an expansion. I have Jagged Earth so we're going to play and let them take a look at it. I've never actually played with the expansion myself but seem to remember people being luke warm on the events card. It should be a good night either way and I'll probably just use the events to give the full effect, but is there a reason they're not very highly regarded? Is it just the addition of randomness to the game?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Redundant posted:

I have a Spirit Island night set up with some work colleagues who like the base game and are interested in getting an expansion. I have Jagged Earth so we're going to play and let them take a look at it. I've never actually played with the expansion myself but seem to remember people being luke warm on the events card. It should be a good night either way and I'll probably just use the events to give the full effect, but is there a reason they're not very highly regarded? Is it just the addition of randomness to the game?

The Events card are a core part of the game and I would 100% never play without them past a single teaching game. I don't know who gave you the impression that they aren't well regarded, because they are mission-critical for a full experience of the game.

We also have a dedicated Spirit Island thread, FYI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4017460&pagenumber=1

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You can have many enjoyable games or Spurtland without the deck, a fact that's attested by them only putting it in the... second expansion? There are 2 events that are too strong and have been revised out of the game. Frankly I didn't dig the deck too much because I'm still at the stage where resolving the new phase takes long enough that adding in the grit of having to parse whatever the event is was unenjoyable.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

There are 2 events that are too strong and have been revised out of the game.

Which two?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
War Touches the Island Shores and another one. I know this because I grumbled about War... leading to a non-game after the Europeans all killed one another, and was told that that and another card should be dropped behind the insert.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can have many enjoyable games or Spurtland without the deck, a fact that's attested by them only putting it in the... second expansion? There are 2 events that are too strong and have been revised out of the game. Frankly I didn't dig the deck too much because I'm still at the stage where resolving the new phase takes long enough that adding in the grit of having to parse whatever the event is was unenjoyable.

The event cards were introduced in the first expansion, which included all the stuff that was originally in the game but was pulled out to give the game a more reasonable base cost and introductory complexity.

For the most part, people who enjoy Spirit Island enjoy the events, but people who don't like them hate them and are vocal about it. Personally I will always use them so that beast tokens can activate. I don't care for the alternative beast activation rules.

There's a list of replaced/retired cards here: https://querki.net/u/darker/spirit-island-faq/#!what-game-items-have-been-replaced-or-retired

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Page 20 of the Jagged Earth book has an official no event variant and spells out why: some players prefer the near perfect information puzzle. Overall I prefer the events to make the game more dynamic, but the wrong event draw at a crucial moment can cost you the game or win it for you, as the events always have a positive and negative effect. Honestly neither of those feel great because the losses feel cheap and the wins feel unearned. That's pretty rare though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Redundant posted:

The original batch of events in Branch & Claw had some issues (although they're perfectly playable even without errata.) The events from Jagged Earth have a lot fewer pain points IMO and if you have JE you might as well use the events.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can have many enjoyable games or Spurtland without the deck, a fact that's attested by them only putting it in the... second expansion?

Events were added in the first expansion, Branch and Claw, not the second. And Branch and Claw was always meant to be part of the original game (at least, the mechanics B&C introduced), but for reasons of MSRP expense and streamlining they decided to split some of the content off and leave it as an expansion. Base Spirit Island is amazing, but it's actually, literally not the full game as developed.

I think event cards improve the game considerably but you have to play many hours of base Spirit Island to really appreciate them.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
With just B+C events were kinda meh. Adding more variety with the JE events, removing some of the worst ones, and skipping an event on the first turn all improved the situation. Also adding more and better minor powers with the various tokens, so that you actually have them out for the events that care about them.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Thanks for all the quick feedback. I'm looking forward to testing out the events when we play.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Played Root today for the first time.

Man… that game had a lot of downtime. Teaching each person their own sets of rules also means that it took longer for everyone to get into the groove and then the game is done.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I find that to be a pretty consistent issue with Cole's games. He really likes each player having a long turn to do everything, and in Root and Oath that means you can be sitting with zero interaction with the game for 30+ minutes between turns if players don't know the game. Pax Pamir 2e can have that problem too. I wonder what the state of Arcs is, especially regarding turn length and the original 3 game campaign concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I have a Root crew that knows the game pretty well and the game has a better flow, but still more waiting than a lot of games. I like the game a lot though, but yeah it's not something you can spring on every group.

Pax Pamir I find does flow after you get it going but yeah, that's a hard first play.