Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Echoing the sentiments. Lucy seems to be bringing the bizarre Bridget Christie energy this season. I wonder if that will keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Are you a child of divorce sent me

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Kaiho posted:

Are you a child of divorce sent me

Best random response since Crahses More.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Superrodan posted:

Echoing the sentiments. Lucy seems to be bringing the bizarre Bridget Christie energy this season. I wonder if that will keep up.

I commented to the person I was watching with that she gave me intense VCM vibes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
if you like a group watch sort of vibe, btw, i highly recommend showing up for the premieres, today's had a great friendly vibe, lots of delight, no bad behaviour. moves too fast to converse but that's fine cause you're watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So SO glad to see people finally get to see this episode which some of you may recall I was at the taping for. It was amazing and I love Lucy and Sam so much. The prize task went on for so loving long in the studio lol but it was great and Sue staying mad the entire time killed me. If the rest of the season can live up to this premiere it’ll be one of my favourites.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

oh my god sitting on the knowledge of that episode might have killed me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Because the taping happened while the last season was still airing and my memory is horrendous I had forgotten if the cans task was in this episode or part of last season but oh my god it’s seriously one of the funniest tasks ever to me especially watching the Sue section as part of a crowd. One of the bits they didn’t show in broadcast is how Lucy literally crawled out of the room at the end of that one. Between that and the genius of putting the hairs together and Sam and Lucy just being all-timer contestants in general (I haven’t gotten there yet so maybe it didn’t make the edit [although I can’t imagine it didn’t] but “Are you a child of divorce?” killed me) it’s an episode that really has everything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo they cut all the studio banter with Lucy elaborating on the Fruitella in her hair, hope that comes out later

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The first filming for S17 takes place Monday 25th, so presumably the names will be leaked out then.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Psychepath posted:

Just sitting here watching my favorite show shouting "Stab the duck!" Gonna be a good, weird series.

I'm glad I was not the only one

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

The_Doctor posted:

The first filming for S17 takes place Monday 25th, so presumably the names will be leaked out then.

I’ve wanted to see Isy Suttie on TM for ages. Maybe 2024 will be our year. 🤞

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

I'd argue as they said you had to "make" a tower they had to alter the existing tower in some way for it to count

They're British, so finding something that someone else made and claiming it is now theirs would be considered acceptable

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Which is different from America where you have to remake it with American actors first

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like Alex lampshaded that by saying that knocking down the cans made it a smaller tower. I think if anyone of them didn't add or remove any cans, it would have really kicked off in the studio.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The blindfolded can task was one of those things that's just so delightfully cruel, I love it.

Also people really need to learn how to stack cans, they've been coddled by the interlocking cans for too long:colbert: Really shockingly terrible display from all who attempted it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I forgot, was there anything in the task about cutting holes in the blindfold?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"Properly wear" a Taskmaster staple.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Boxturret posted:

Also people really need to learn how to stack cans, they've been coddled by the interlocking cans for too long:colbert: Really shockingly terrible display from all who attempted it.

:hmmyes:

When are we getting Taskmaster: 1823?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

oh jay posted:

"Properly wear" a Taskmaster staple.

Doesn't sound very conclusive to me. Alex, I will need scissors.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
https://fb.watch/neVrhLco3G/

Outtake from ep1

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I love Alex's giggling in the can task. He's absolutely giddy.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The real joke was on the person they had stack those cans up like that 5 times.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I feel so bad for the PAs of Taskmaster. To the point of sometimes not liking some tasks that are “Just make a mess.”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Boxturret posted:

They absolutely had that tower fall a few times on them during construction of when a particularly heavy cameraman walked down the hall.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Look they have to find something for Josh Widdicombe to do now that he's not a contestant anymore

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I really hope they post Lucy talking about the Fruitella and also trying to demonstrate how she folds her legs like her arms

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Because the taping happened while the last season was still airing and my memory is horrendous I had forgotten if the cans task was in this episode or part of last season but oh my god it’s seriously one of the funniest tasks ever to me especially watching the Sue section as part of a crowd. One of the bits they didn’t show in broadcast is how Lucy literally crawled out of the room at the end of that one. Between that and the genius of putting the hairs together and Sam and Lucy just being all-timer contestants in general (I haven’t gotten there yet so maybe it didn’t make the edit [although I can’t imagine it didn’t] but “Are you a child of divorce?” killed me) it’s an episode that really has everything.

They did show Lucy crawling out at the end, and child of a divorce was in too

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I don't hate him, but boy is he dead weight on that show that only works because Paul Williams and the contestants pick up his slack so spectacularly. Studio banter is the best and Greg is just the best at it. Going straight from the NZ to UK one really does highlight the gulf.

Yeah, I've been a Jeremy apologist in the past but the quick change has certainly put it in sharp focus. Greg is more bodacious but also brings to bear his experience as a school teacher. I truly think that gives him a leg up on ANY other taskmaster. He uses it so well.

Echoing others' comments on loving the whole cast. I was unfamiliar with everyone but Sue and Julian, but even Julian I didn't recognize until I heard him speak. Don't yet know who to root for, it's a cast full of idiot anti-heroes and I love it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Yeah, I've been a Jeremy apologist in the past but the quick change has certainly put it in sharp focus. Greg is more bodacious but also brings to bear his experience as a school teacher. I truly think that gives him a leg up on ANY other taskmaster. He uses it so well.

Echoing others' comments on loving the whole cast. I was unfamiliar with everyone but Sue and Julian, but even Julian I didn't recognize until I heard him speak. Don't yet know who to root for, it's a cast full of idiot anti-heroes and I love it.

It was just so refreshing 5 minutes in with the prize task. The submissions were great, but with the prize task it’s 100% in the banter.

With Jeremy it feels so flat and dead, and I feel like you often have no sense at all how he’s gonna score until he does.

With Greg, you know almost immediately how he’s gonna score it (unless he does the opposite to piss someone else off). They’re all always laughing. And Greg always has something hilarious to say about it, or some great face to make about it, or some excellent questions about it. Greg also always coaxes out insane justifications from the shitter submissions.

FWIW, I did think Jeremy was better this season than any other, so I thought for NZ S4 the prize tasks sections were just generally poo poo because the contestants brought in poo poo prizes. But after seeing Greg in action again I’m pretty sure it’s just Jeremy’s inability to elevate the conversation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if the makers of NZ could argue for one less ad break, to give the show just a little room to breathe.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah it really feels like an editing thing to me, like you'd get some prize tasks where someone explains what their thing is, then a pretty obvious hard cut to them going to the next person, with no discussion what so ever.
Now some times some things are so bad that they don't warrant discussion, so just moving on right away is a good joke, but these felt more down to editing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'd love to see Taskmaster NZ But One Less Ad Break. more banter, more jeremy, w/e

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really liked how Sue tried to solve the giant rubber duck task by removing all the obstacles and still lost to Susan who just dragged it down to the water.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Dragging it was really smart, I never would have thought of that. I would have just tried to find the hole and deflate it, but the size of that thing it might have taken ages for it to go down.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I would have yanked apart a flamingo and stabbed the duck to deflate it (and was genuinely surprised when they showed a shot of the pointy flamingo stakes and no one went for it)

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Leraika posted:

I would have yanked apart a flamingo and stabbed the duck to deflate it (and was genuinely surprised when they showed a shot of the pointy flamingo stakes and no one went for it)

Would've counted as your duck touching the flamingo tho

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Skulker posted:

Would've counted as your duck touching the flamingo tho

1 touch = 1 minute of time. Probably worth it for the time same of it being deflated.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

1 touch = 1 minute of time. Probably worth it for the time same of it being deflated.

Sometimes Alex is a little poo poo would penalize for each individual stab if you didn't pierce it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
going to a show recording tomo. last time got turned away so they gave us priority this time. hype