Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They really need to add way more variants of some of the proc-gen assets. I found three starship debris POIs in a system, and they were all identical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So can you just not use companions at all in the run up to the companion death quest? There was a bit where it said "you will not be able to dismiss X if you proceed" so I figured that was my point of no return. I wanted to finish some more stuff up, am I SOL? It's super railroady for a weirdly long series of quests if so.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

orcane posted:

My game lags every time I open or close the hand scanner. Apparently that's because it tries to update traits etc. with the weapon switch to/from the cutter you carry in scanner mode, and having gear with mods (legendaries, but also Heller's Cutter instead of a default one) will make it worse :psyduck:

There's a mod for that (fixing Bethesda's games):

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/2830

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Combat Pretzel posted:

They really need to add way more variants of some of the proc-gen assets. I found three starship debris POIs in a system, and they were all identical.

a lot of the stuff I'd find was identical too, even entire stations. maybe there's not a lot of proc gen assets or whatever but it almost makes me wonder if it's a bug

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

toggle posted:

sarah died! i'm finally free!!!
I worked really hard to get Sam to like me in my NG+ to ensure that the hunter kills him. Unfortunately, I informed Vladimir that the Starborn were going to attack the Station and the Lodge and that I should take the artifacts with me. That changed the outcome, because the Hunter teleported onto my ship after I stored the Artifacts and after a little smalltalk he decides to this time around not kill any of my friends. Motherfucker. Now I'm stuck with having him and his stupid kid around. I'm considering powering through the main quest just to get to a new universe where I can have him killed.
:ssj:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Deformed Church posted:

So can you just not use companions at all in the run up to the companion death quest? There was a bit where it said "you will not be able to dismiss X if you proceed" so I figured that was my point of no return. I wanted to finish some more stuff up, am I SOL? It's super railroady for a weirdly long series of quests if so.
Companions are undismissable when you're on a companion-specific questline; that's what the warning is about. It's just so you can't do their quests without them.

I had to finish one of Barrett's things to finish The Crucible because it's bugged and they all go hostile automatically if you have an active companion lmao

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

FFT posted:

Companions are undismissable when you're on a companion-specific questline; that's what the warning is about. It's just so you can't do their quests without them.

I had to finish one of Barrett's things to finish The Crucible because it's bugged and they all go hostile automatically if you have an active companion lmao

Yeah, that's the thing - I didn't do that. Everyone is sat in their repair spots on the Eye from the previous mission, since I'd backed out before that I figured I'd still be able to grab them for adventures and make sure to get their quests before the thing, but Barrett and Sarah (who I have affinity with) just have the ask questions option, and Sam and Andreja won't talk to me at all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You're locked-in now. You can have no follower, or your assigned follower.
They're also no longer available as Crew until the plot cools down.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Father Wendigo posted:

Emil had an infamous not-TED Talk with some pretty great moments like 'You could write the greatest story ever, and players are just going to skip conversation to pick up more bullets. So why bother? I don't!' and 'This four dialogue option tree looks pretty cool, huh? Well let me tell ya, it's a bitch to code and write dialogue around! But it looks cool, and that's all that matters.'

If you look at what he says and use the past 3 games he's credited as designing (Fallout 4, 76 and Starfield) he is either burnt out or checked out.

I thought that was supposed to be Pete Hines.

Problem here is that he also failed to have competent AI, interesting gunplay, interesting content, more than a handful of the same set piece 'dungeons' repeated forever, etc with all the time he saved doing the worst story writing in a Bethesda game to date.

I still can't get over how horrifying the start of the game was. I didn't know a human could write up and produce something so terrible as the loving introductory hook for your big space adventure game.

Spending a lot of time making cool Lego ships even though it doesn't matter cause ship combat is largely irrelevant and the ai doesn't actually exist as they only fly in loops shooting you. Also the decisions for the power system and how you have a max weapon load out regardless of ship class or weight etc means there's no reason to make a cool huge battleship that'll just evaporate enemies with a million fuckoff guns.

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 23, 2023

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

FFT posted:

The Crucible bug is less about having active companions, as it can occur without them. If you leave any of the members of the aggressive faction alive after killing their leader they will de-aggress once their faction leader is dead and after you talk to the leader you favoured, those original faction members will become aggressive again, causing the entire camp to be aggressive towards you. I was able to work out that if you're unlucky enough a couple of the aggressive faction can spawn under a structure ( Sense Star Stuff is my favourite power ) and be near impossible to kill as a result, causing a player to miss them before you've killed their boss.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Lone Badger posted:

You're locked-in now. You can have no follower, or your assigned follower.
They're also no longer available as Crew until the plot cools down.

lovely that they lock it in before the pop up that says "don't go any further or you'll get locked in" though.

Although my follower at that point was Barrett, and it said I'd only be able to use Barrett, and I can't even get him to follow me. Bethesda, I guess. time to orphan sona again!

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
The constant also needs the option to go dig through some archives to find their original claim. Have a whole space law plot that lets you use persuasion for something other than discounts.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
name one game with competent AI.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GrunkleStalin posted:

The constant also needs the option to go dig through some archives to find their original claim. Have a whole space law plot that lets you use persuasion for something other than discounts.

Space-Law skill please

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tankbuster posted:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ZombyDog posted:

The Crucible bug is less about having active companions, as it can occur without them. If you leave any of the members of the aggressive faction alive after killing their leader they will de-aggress once their faction leader is dead and after you talk to the leader you favoured, those original faction members will become aggressive again, causing the entire camp to be aggressive towards you. I was able to work out that if you're unlucky enough a couple of the aggressive faction can spawn under a structure ( Sense Star Stuff is my favourite power ) and be near impossible to kill as a result, causing a player to miss them before you've killed their boss.

Going back into your ship then back out fixed it for me for some reason.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tankbuster posted:

system shock

I feel bad about stealing from Petrov, he seems cool. I hope someone mods something in where I can give it back to him when I'm done. Maybe throw in another one as interest.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 23, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ive been to maybe 4 or 5 "ship debris" or "crashed ship" sites and they were all identical, so I stopped bothering.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

NG+ questions:

• Just fired up NG+ for the first time and the new universe seems largely the same. Is it always like that for the first NG+ or can it get weird right off the bat?

• I've read about the new iterations of Constellation that people find when they're doing NG runs. Does anything else in the galaxy change? Will there be new things to see (outside of making different choices within the quests) if I run the faction quests again?

• I know I can upgrade my powers by visiting the temples again, but...why? The game doesn't seem to have gotten more difficult and I'm not sure why I need better powers when combat is already a breeze.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whenever i see another Abandoned Muybridge Pharmaceuticals Lab i'm going to open up the dev console and disable the planet. it's amazing that they put that tiny but extremely specific storyline in with the randomization and let it show up over and over

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

NG+ questions:

• Just fired up NG+ for the first time and the new universe seems largely the same. Is it always like that for the first NG+ or can it get weird right off the bat?

• I've read about the new iterations of Constellation that people find when they're doing NG runs. Does anything else in the galaxy change? Will there be new things to see (outside of making different choices within the quests) if I run the faction quests again?

• I know I can upgrade my powers by visiting the temples again, but...why? The game doesn't seem to have gotten more difficult and I'm not sure why I need better powers when combat is already a breeze.

Don’t know.

Not really, no. A handful of dialogue lines that make no difference. Edit: Also theres a starborn trader random encounter in space.

No reason I can think of. I can’t even be assed to console them.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 23, 2023

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What are some good outpost locations? I know its pretty lame but I at least want to mess with it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Elendil004 posted:

What are some good outpost locations? I know its pretty lame but I at least want to mess with it.

Depends what you want to get out of it. Bessel III-b is the best place to grind adaptive frames, but it is just a barren rock.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Any planet that you can mine aluminum, because outpost building you'll be constantly short on aluminum.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

The first ng+ is always the standard constellation setup. Second ng+ and beyond there is like a 10% chance you get one of the altered setups. You discover if it's altered when you first walk into the lodge. Nothing outside of constellation changes, but you will sometimes get different [DIALOGUE] options for faction quests and sidequests. Redoing the temples is awful, you can upgrade powers with addperk in the console if you want them with slightly better numbers. Here is a site with the perk ids: https://game8.co/games/Starfield/archives/424931.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is where I hope they'll devote some dev time, like sure, some random rear end modder might bring the count up but they'll inevitably be some variant of gotcha traps or horny places.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

So I just had a situation where Cora tells Sam a joke and he laughed and said "try that joke on Barrett next time you see him!"

Barrett died in that one quest, Sam. We just had his funeral a day ago. You sure you're feeling okay? Maybe we need your head checked.

Guess it's too hard to take out lines like that after someone dies, eh Bethesda? lol

Loved when in the Freestar Rangers quest you discover that Ron Hope was behind it all the whole time and then you get back to Hopetown and Sam is immediately like 'Ron Hope? All around swell guy, a real humanitarian, bet he's a great lover too'. Come on dude, you were standing RIGHT THERE when we discovered that he's a bad guy! He got a lot of people killed! This happened like two minutes ago!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

No Sudden Moves is a perfect encapsulation of all the problems with Bethesda's games. If you explore the level you find vents and discover alternate ways to complete the mission but they're so well hidden that it takes a herculean effort to find them in all the visual clutter that it's not even worth doing. The most direct route takes you five to ten minutes, tops. The alternate paths? Probably 30 minutes just to find a way string together those paths and discovering info about some of them leads you into parts of the level where the guards get aggressive automatically. You can start a distraction but does that cause the aggressive guards to leave their post? No, because they didn't put any kind of scripting in it so they just point their guns in the general direction of the distraction and say within that area.

You can really see the level designer went all out with that place but it ultimately didn't matter because the roundabout way of doing the level wasn't remotely worth the effort compared to the direct route. It also was hidden and set up like a labyrinth. It was just a whole lot of effort in service of nothing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I played through the Crucible shootout three times, with two different companions, and when they aggroed me the first time, I thought it was because I was returning to the town center with my weapons still drawn - reloading it and replaying it with holstered guns never triggered anyone. Guess I was lucky :v:

Deformed Church posted:

lovely that they lock it in before the pop up that says "don't go any further or you'll get locked in" though.

Although my follower at that point was Barrett, and it said I'd only be able to use Barrett, and I can't even get him to follow me. Bethesda, I guess. time to orphan sona again!
Yes, once you return with Walter and talk to Noel, they will railroad you down the sequence "Eye needs repairs" -> "we go to the Eye for repairs" (disables Constellation for followers/ship crew) -> "go to the Eye to help with repairs" (locks highest affinity follower to stay on the station) -> "start Scow quest" (assigns your 2nd highest follower for the quest until you finish it) -> High Price to Pay. If you prioritize the main quest that's not a big deal but there really should be a warning before starting the sequence. The plot doesn't feel very urgent at this point in the game, you're still trying to get more artifacts in order to learn more so it's understandable people might gently caress off and return to general exploration, lego shipbuilding, outpost management or other faction quests and :woop:

GrunkleStalin posted:

I was honestly thinking that would be an option when they mentioned how their ancestors filed a claim but how it would probably be lost by now. I have a ship that can go anywhere and I don't mind digging through abandoned places, let me do that.

Nope. Grav drive or kill everyone. Or slavery I guess.

Cavauro posted:

whenever i see another Abandoned Muybridge Pharmaceuticals Lab i'm going to open up the dev console and disable the planet. it's amazing that they put that tiny but extremely specific storyline in with the randomization and let it show up over and over
disable? :eek:

But yeah it's nice the individual PoIs have environmental stories like classic Skyrim/Fallout places, except they're copy-pasted to every location of the same type on every rock in the settled systems by the procgen, just why. Even spots that were pre-placed and show up on scans from orbit are usually using the exact same stuff you can find in randomly generated PoIs of the same type.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 23, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

orcane posted:

disable? :eek:

the evilest option. then use MarkForDelete on top of that so its data disappears from your save!!!! hosed up

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jimbot posted:

No Sudden Moves is a perfect encapsulation of all the problems with Bethesda's games. If you explore the level you find vents and discover alternate ways to complete the mission but they're so well hidden that it takes a herculean effort to find them in all the visual clutter that it's not even worth doing. The most direct route takes you five to ten minutes, tops. The alternate paths? Probably 30 minutes just to find a way string together those paths and discovering info about some of them leads you into parts of the level where the guards get aggressive automatically. You can start a distraction but does that cause the aggressive guards to leave their post? No, because they didn't put any kind of scripting in it so they just point their guns in the general direction of the distraction and say within that area.

You can really see the level designer went all out with that place but it ultimately didn't matter because the roundabout way of doing the level wasn't remotely worth the effort compared to the direct route. It also was hidden and set up like a labyrinth. It was just a whole lot of effort in service of nothing.

god forbid you take your time in a stealth mission.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

isndl posted:

It's pretty satisfying when everything is lined up and you just mash the button to slam everything in. Sometimes a little tricky trying to keep in mind which patterns are reserved for another layer, though.

One thing to keep in mind for people struggling with the digipick game is that every layer is supposed to use exactly two patterns to unlock. If you're using a different number you've probably hosed up somewhere, though on rare occasions you might get a layout that allows an alternate solution.

Also for anyone who's struggling at first: remember that the rings will turn different colors for every pattern that can be used (the outer ring will turn light blue, the inner rings a darker blue) or that can't be used with them (the outer ring will be white, the inner ones will be gray). Once I read that somewhere, it made figuring out lockpicking a lot easier. You will have patterns that can be used on multiple rings (the ones a given pattern will work on will change color accordingly), so it's still on the player to figure out which pattern to use in some cases.

E: also, back out of a lockpicking session if you do get stumped. It only costs one digipick to start over again, and when you start over the rings reset into new patterns, so it's potentially more effective in terms of not burning through your digipicks by doing that (because you might luck out and get an easier pattern), instead of choosing the "Undo" option.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 23, 2023

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tankbuster posted:

What's even the point of stealth in that mission? You can just down him, get the artifact, and get out without fighting anyone else. They you go pay your measly 350 credit bounty at a self-service kiosk somewhere. You can do all that before you're even halfway done with the stealth option.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

It’s all negatives for that though.

For example in the Square Enix Deus Ex games going loud and deadly is significantly faster but you use more resources, get a lot less XP and get fewer rewards so while it is a valid route you are being “punished” for doing that.

Stealth in a BGS game generally gets you less experience and fewer rewards so the only difference may be in dialog. It means you’re being “punished” every step of the way for role playing “correctly”.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Also for anyone who's struggling at first: remember that the rings will turn different colors for every pattern that can be used (the outer ring will turn light blue, the inner rings a darker blue) or that can't be used with them (the outer ring will be white, the inner ones will be gray). Once I read that somewhere, it made figuring out lockpicking a lot easier. You will have patterns that can be used on multiple rings (the ones a given pattern will work on will change color accordingly), so it's still on the player to figure out which pattern to use in some cases.

You do need the 2nd perk for this which feels like a terrible idea for game design.

vvv
In 2023 I’d say that qualifies as “ok”. If you look at the ini’s the AI is actually being handicapped too, there’s mods that remove delays between actions which makes them much better. Your companions are nutty with that change too.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 23, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Starfield's AI is good. Enemies take a lot of cover. They retreat if they're almost out of heath. They whack you with their rifle if you get in their face. It's better than enemies in Fallout or Skyrim. Not sure what people are expecting. It's not like enemies are just running at you like a Serious Sam game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Starfield's AI is good. Enemies take a lot of cover. They retreat if they're almost out of heath. They whack you with their rifle if you get in their face. It's better than enemies in Fallout or Skyrim. Not sure what people are expecting. It's not like enemies are just running at you like a Serious Sam game.

ngl it'd be pretty fun to mow down some Space Kamikazes with a microgun.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Don't mind me guys, just fighting a magic space guy in the well, keep on moving, as you were.

nice of the hunter to gently caress up everyone except cora, who's basically fine (trauma aside)

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 23, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

You do need the 2nd perk for this which feels like a terrible idea.

Agreed, I'd forgotten about that, and you're right that it was a terrible idea for Bethesda to lock it behind the 2nd perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

The issue with No Sudden Moves is that you can take all the time in the world to make sure no one knows what you're doing but the second you take the artifact you get a bounty and everyone aggroes. In other words: not only the stealth path takes forever, it's also completely useless.