Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

zone posted:

So in addition to throwing Strelkov in jail, they're angling to throw Malofeev in along with him?

Few things would make me less upset than Malofeev being sent to the oubliette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/yasminalombaert/status/1705550288390688860

quote:

Fear in Sevastopol.

Sevastopol comes under fire for the second day in a row.

Today, the air defense system went off in the city, and fragments of a downed rocket fell near the pier in the Sukharnaya Balka area, Sevastopol Governor Mikhail Razvozhaev wrote in his telegram channel.

“Close the windows tightly and do not approach them in the future. Take shelter in a room with load-bearing walls, sitting on the floor near the load-bearing wall at a considerable distance from the window,” Razvozhaev wrote.

According to him, city residents should have left their cars. On the street, the head of the city advised taking refuge on the ground floors, in underground passages and tunnels. Places under vehicles and walls of apartment buildings and offices are not suitable for shelter, Razvozhaev added.

As a result, citizens began to complain on social networks that some shelters were locked or unusable. In response to this, Razvozhaev promised to resolve specific issues.
Many shelters were flooded, littered or closed.

According to the head of the city, the shelters were prepared last year, when the city was still “relatively calm.” The head of the city noted that it is impossible to foresee everything.

“Concerning shelters, I want to convey one more important point: do not expect that someone will come and stock up water there, install chairs, flooring, and provide ventilation. It is impossible to improve all TEMPORARY shelters in this way; this requires billions. I emphasize that the shelters are temporary, these are not bomb shelters. They are needed mainly to hide from rocket fragments and broken windows,” Razvozhaev wrote in his telegram channel.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cope shelters.

Flooded, used as the city dumps, just unserviceable.

Then Russia will whine about ukrianian unfairness when their citizens die in the bombings due to a lack of emergency services like bomb shelters.

Literally Russia could give a gently caress about its citizens, people, or anyone.

They have shown themselves to be so vicious that human life matters less than the narrative.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 23, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"We won't need shelters, they'll never make it this far south. The money will make a nice Dacha for me instead! :smuggo:"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I like how Razvozhaev's cope is that it was impossible to predict Crimea being lit up every single day now.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

"okay, first of all, those 'bomb shelters' were NEVER fit for purpose, and they will not be improved in any way" now that's what I call Local Leadership™

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

zone posted:

So in addition to throwing Strelkov in jail, they're angling to throw Malofeev in along with him?

Better to declaw all the rabid nationalists now, before they all get worked up into a lather when the really bad news about the war starts.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I wonder if any EU country is ever gonna realize that the only way to get Russian jets and subs to stop loving around inside our borders is to start shooting at them...

I like the Biden approach of sending "small" amount of weapons. Which could be from 10 to 5000. Honestly I am not sure if any EU country has the capability of attacking a submerged sub. Maybe France? But they only have like 1 task force and it is busy terrorizing Africa

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Comstar posted:

Hell, you can't hide the big oil tanks, and missiles will hit them with ease if you can knock out the Air Defense first. Hell, the Navy and air force oil tanks are probably easier to hit than the planes and ships that at least can move about. If the Japanese had hit the oil tanks and repair shops at Pearl harbour the Pacific fleet would have been kicked back to San Fransisco anyway.

I must be missing something here.

The Third Strike theory about Pearl Harbor overlooks three important things.

1. The defenses would have been fully alert. The attackers would have lost a lot of planes and irreplaceable aircrew.

2. The oil storage was designed to minimize this sort of attack. Each tank was enclosed by a berm high enough to hold if the tank was smashed and dumping oil out, so a bomb hit would only get one tank, and there were over two hundred of them. Smoke from the first hits would obscure the targets for the later bombers. Each attack wave was only about 130 bombers, so even if they all got hits that's only a little over half of the tanks destroyed.

3. The US Navy had the tanker capacity to run the submarine campaign and the early carrier raids in the Western Pacific. The underground fuel storage at Pearl was almost ready when the attack happened, its construction would have been rushed. This would have had some impact on operations elsewhere, but not enough to seriously impeded the war effort.

For the long version, see Zimm's The Attack on Pearl Harbor.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

tiaz posted:

"okay, first of all, those 'bomb shelters' were NEVER fit for purpose, and they will not be improved in any way" now that's what I call Local Leadership™

In case of emergency requiring shelter bring your own chairs, also water and if necessary bring shelter as that can not be relied on either.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

In case of emergency requiring shelter bring your own chairs, also water and if necessary bring shelter as that can not be relied on either.

...So that the local policeman running a stick-up operation have water and chairs to sit while they collect you an entry fee or beat you up and kick you out.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Sekenr posted:

Maybe France? But they only have like 1 task force and it is busy terrorizing Africa

Uh no our guys who are getting replaced with reasonable Wagner guys atm, a massive win for african civilians obv.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

rowkey bilbao posted:

Uh no our guys who are getting replaced with reasonable Wagner guys atm, a massive win for african civilians obv.

Frenchman spotted, being normal

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
"We didnt actually expect our performative act of creating 'shelters' would get used. They were just a photo op. Please return to the beaches. Tourism must continue."

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

Honestly I am not sure if any EU country has the capability of attacking a submerged sub. Maybe France? But they only have like 1 task force and it is busy terrorizing Africa

AFAIK all of the NATO countries have marinized helicopters that can drop buoys / torpedoes, although I dunno if they all have the fancy magnetic anomaly detectors and periscope-seeking radar.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tankie twitter is such a gold mine of hot takes.

No elections = no democracy ergo Nazi
Or maybe UA doesn't want to have civilians gather to get missiled by Russia

They banned opposition parties!
Maybe don't callaborate with Russia that is invading your country and actively trying to undermine it

2014 Maidan was a coup!!
Maybe read a book, articles or just have a loving objective view that isn't Russian bias and be open minded.

Tai fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 23, 2023

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Those shelters look more like torture dungeons. I'd be afraid of being locked inside more than the missiles.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BrassRoots posted:

Those shelters look more like torture dungeons. I'd be afraid of being locked inside more than the missiles.

Well lucky for you, if you don't bring a seat, some drinking water and a substantial amount of cash the local cops or troops will not let you in regardless.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tai posted:

Maybe don't collaborate with Russia that is invading your country and actively trying to undermine it

My favorite tidbit there is that it was six parties with a combined total of one (1) MP.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mllaneza posted:

My favorite tidbit there is that it was six parties with a combined total of one (1) MP.

but but democracy!

Love how the elected MP's aren't banned but we will ignore that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's absolutely outrageous for a democratic party to be banned

Now, when my revolutionary vanguard takes power, our first action will be to arrest all reactionary elements from opposing political parties...

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

Tankie twitter is such a gold mine of hot takes.

No elections = no democracy ergo Nazi
Or maybe UA doesn't want to have civilians gather to get missiled by Russia

Maybe don't callaborate with Russia that is invading your country and actively trying to undermine it

2014 Maidan was a coup!!
Maybe read a book, articles or just have a loving objective view that isn't Russian bias and be open minded.

Never forget the "2014 Odessa fire was a bunch of trade unionist protestors getting burned alive by the Ukronazis" when it was just actually just bunch of paid Russian agitators who accidentally molotoved themselves while holed up in the a trade union building by pure coincidence. Oh, and they were just randomly shooting civilians too from the roof, but no one talks about that on tankie twit or discords. But in their minds, someone was able to throw a molotov cocktail up five floors, and then have it change direction in mid-air and fly 30 feet inside the hallway of the building.

Strategic Tea posted:

It's absolutely outrageous for a democratic party to be banned

Now, when my revolutionary vanguard takes power, our first action will be to arrest all reactionary elements from opposing political parties...

Big fan of democracy here. That's why I staunchly support the Chinese government. What could be more democratic than a party that gets 100% of the vote? Who needs all those other parties that just get in the way of democracy.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 24, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yikes!

https://twitter.com/AliTahmizian/status/1705564941065851281

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

I would need verification on this.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Yeah that sounds like a pretty big tale to tell without some kind of corroboration

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I am not unbelieving of the possibility of ethnic cleansing, however unverified reports that hinge on the "targeted" killing of russian officers reporting on a massacre, especially after russian conduct in Ukraine, seems sketchy.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well, if there are conscientious russian officers They probably go to Nagorno Karabakh if they're able. Relatively safe, you're not trying to kill your cousins, it's a good gig

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Der Kyhe posted:

Well lucky for you, if you don't bring a seat, some drinking water and a substantial amount of cash the local cops or troops will not let you in regardless.

Are you telling me that if I bring this glorious rug to hang on the wall, and a fifth of russky standard for the boss I still have to sit on the floor?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Toxic Mental posted:

Never forget the "2014 Odessa fire was a bunch of trade unionist protestors getting burned alive by the Ukronazis" when it was just actually just bunch of paid Russian agitators who accidentally molotoved themselves while holed up in the a trade union building by pure coincidence. Oh, and they were just randomly shooting civilians too from the roof, but no one talks about that on tankie twit or discords. But in their minds, someone was able to throw a molotov cocktail up five floors, and then have it change direction in mid-air and fly 30 feet inside the hallway of the building.

Big fan of democracy here. That's why I staunchly support the Chinese government. What could be more democratic than a party that gets 100% of the vote? Who needs all those other parties that just get in the way of democracy.

The tankie talking point for china is that you can’t change the party but you can change the policy (lmao)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Holy poo poo. The vdv is retreating from the north of Nova Prokoivka due to Ukrianian assaults.

This is huge news. Another counter offensive by Russia has been shattered. After which Ukraine has been orchestrating offensive operations this morning and last night with lots of Bradley's being used in night attacks.

Things are moving in the right direction. If the VdV is shattered it will be a huge blow to Russia.

Battles are ongoing in the town though. This piece of the map was a huge concentration of the last of it Putins experienced troops.

Let's remember that paratroopers are light infantry, the lightest of the light infantry. The vdv does not have a lot of tanks. So Ukraine using motorized / mechanized/armored assaults against them are doubly as effective as they would be against a combined arms army. Literally the vdv is the lightest of light infantry. These guys are not made to defend areas against concentrated combined arms operations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 24, 2023

JustCallMeDC
Aug 12, 2023

Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
Obey the Lamb
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1705771792168558714

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Holy poo poo. The vdv is retreating from the north of Nova Prokoivka due to Ukrianian assaults.

This is huge news. Another counter offensive by Russia has been shattered. After which Ukraine has been orchestrating offensive operations this morning and last night with lots of Bradley's being used in night attacks.

Things are moving in the right direction. If the VdV is shattered it will be a huge blow to Russia.

Battles are ongoing in the town though. This piece of the map was a huge concentration of the last of it Putins experienced troops.

Let's remember that paratroopers are light infantry, the lightest of the light infantry. The vdv does not have a lot of tanks. So Ukraine using motorized / mechanized/armored assaults against them are doubly as effective as they would be against a combined arms army. Literally the vdv is the lightest of light infantry. These guys are not made to defend areas against concentrated combined arms operations.

Very Defeated Vatniks

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

There is one last line before tokmak. There are no strategic reserves.

Ukraine has one month to get Tokmak. Time will tell. I hope so. Otherwise we are looking at the end of next year for liberation.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

AFAIK there was 10K of those troops and other moved into that area to support existing soldiers as basically the last reserves they could commit in the south

Could be aninteresting coule of days if thats all true

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AFAIK there was 10K of those troops and other moved into that area to support existing soldiers as basically the last reserves they could commit in the south

Could be aninteresting coule of days if thats all true

Yeah they were expecting to last until the winter. Clearly they haven't of they are retreating from what was going to be their bastion of October.

Also Russian peacekeepers had an ammo depot blown up by Azerbaijani terrorists.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i misread that as "azebaijani tourists" initially and i was like "man a hawaiian shirt means something different over there huh"

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Interestingly Russian telegram channels have published vids from fighting near both Verbove and Novoprokopivka, so I guess that counts as some kind of management of expectations. Links in ISW daily report.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://x.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1705786918787494245?s=20
There goes another brigade.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah that's a new piece of this. Entire units being eliminated to the "last" non injured man. Russia isn't letting any of these guys retrest so the unit is ashed out.

Remember Russia is artillerying it's own soldiers who are surrendering. So is it far to say that they might arty retreating soldiers? Or just straight shoot them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

"The situation is difficult."