Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you do it I’ll send you a little badge you can put on your shelf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The real platinum achievement of Hollow Knight is when you decide "gently caress it" and leave the game without trying to do any additional bosses.

Also achivements are a cancer upon gaming. I am pretty sure you can thank Value for popularizing adding them in Steam originally in I think the now 16 year old release of HL2:EP2, Portal, and TF2? I am pretty sure no one really gave a poo poo about the XBOX 360's gamescore poo poo until Steam added insane bullshit like "Little Rocket Man"

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

jeeves posted:

I am pretty sure no one really gave a poo poo about the XBOX 360's gamescore poo poo until Steam added insane bullshit like "Little Rocket Man"

From the very start people went absolutely nuts over gamerscores

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, that's some PC master race BS.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Foglet posted:

Getting the Godhome ending is also a hard requirement for unlocking Silksong

I'm just gonna pay for the unlock like a pleb.

jeeves posted:

The real platinum achievement of Hollow Knight is when you decide "gently caress it" and leave the game without trying to do any additional bosses.

Also achivements are a cancer upon gaming. I am pretty sure you can thank Value for popularizing adding them in Steam originally in I think the now 16 year old release of HL2:EP2, Portal, and TF2? I am pretty sure no one really gave a poo poo about the XBOX 360's gamescore poo poo until Steam added insane bullshit like "Little Rocket Man"

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, that's some PC master race BS.

This IS SA, after all. It goes PC, Sony, Nintendo, Playdate, iOS, web browser games (platform agnostic), Android, then Microsoft last always. All opinions are based upon information from at least 10 years ago, directly from your uncle who works at Nintendo.

Anyway, simply turn all Achievement notifications off (easy peasy on Xbox) and you don't have to worry about them anymore.

Unless you look.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

jeeves posted:

It's me. HK is one of my favorite games of all time, but I don't do any of the optional bosses because I don't really enjoy boss fights. The mandatory ones are difficult enough, thanks.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

jeeves posted:

Yeah it’s almost as if Valve has put its hand to every single blight of gaming

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Microtransactions, NFTs, insane DRM, achievements, the idea of buying games just to own them because they’re Cheap Now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Don't get me started on cheap games

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

turtleface posted:

From the very start people went absolutely nuts over gamerscores

Weren't there a ton of shovelware games that did decently by having super easy achievements and getting on lists for easy ways to boost your score?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that was still a thing on playstation for farming platinums until fairly recently when sony cracked down on them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Weren't there a ton of shovelware games that did decently by having super easy achievements and getting on lists for easy ways to boost your score?

Yeah, for at least a while (maybe even still) there was a proven uptick in sales for games with easy platinums. One of the Avatar games apparently like doubled its sales because of that.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I remember loling at an achievement for Guitar Hero, where you had to beat one of the game's developers in a PVP match. I'm sure they just hung out online all the time, ready to take up the challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

I remember loling at an achievement for Guitar Hero, where you had to beat one of the game's developers in a PVP match. I'm sure they just hung out online all the time, ready to take up the challenge.

I don't know that one in particular but if I recall a lot of those achievements were "beat one of the game's developers or anyone who has the achievement" so it was designed to propagate naturally. Unless, of course, people stopped playing the game but what are the odds of that?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I guess that mayhap I was just blessed with thankfully not knowing anyone who cared about Gamerscores.

I definitely remember the years 2007-2008 for achievements exploding into pop culture with TF2’s bullshit and then WOW adding them to Wraith of the Lich King in late 2008.

Edit - I guess all of my examples are PC based omg PC master race supremacy amirite???

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 21, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://blog.unity.com/news/open-letter-on-runtime-fee

To our community:

I’m Marc Whitten, and I lead Unity Create which includes the Unity engine and editor teams.

I want to start with this: I am sorry.

We should have spoken with more of you and we should have incorporated more of your feedback before announcing our new Runtime Fee policy. Our goal with this policy is to ensure we can continue to support you today and tomorrow, and keep deeply investing in our game engine.

You are what makes Unity great, and we know we need to listen, and work hard to earn your trust. We have heard your concerns, and we are making changes in the policy we announced to address them.

Our Unity Personal plan will remain free and there will be no Runtime Fee for games built on Unity Personal. We will be increasing the cap from $100,000 to $200,000 and we will remove the requirement to use the Made with Unity splash screen.

No game with less than $1 million in trailing 12-month revenue will be subject to the fee.

For those creators on Unity Pro and Unity Enterprise, we are also making changes based on your feedback.

The Runtime Fee policy will only apply beginning with the next LTS version of Unity shipping in 2024 and beyond. Your games that are currently shipped and the projects you are currently working on will not be included – unless you choose to upgrade them to this new version of Unity.

We will make sure that you can stay on the terms applicable for the version of Unity editor you are using – as long as you keep using that version.

For games that are subject to the runtime fee, we are giving you a choice of either a 2.5% revenue share or the calculated amount based on the number of new people engaging with your game each month. Both of these numbers are self-reported from data you already have available. You will always be billed the lesser amount.

We want to continue to build the best engine for creators. We truly love this industry and you are the reason why.

I’d like to invite you to join me for a live fireside chat hosted by Jason Weimann today at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT, where I will do my best to answer your questions. In the meantime, here are some more details.*

Thank you for caring as deeply as you do, and thank you for giving us hard feedback.

Marc Whitten

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

https://blog.unity.com/news/open-letter-on-runtime-fee

To our community:

I’m Marc Whitten, and I lead Unity Create which includes the Unity engine and editor teams.

I want to start with this: I am sorry.

We should have spoken with more of you and we should have incorporated more of your feedback before announcing our new Runtime Fee policy. Our goal with this policy is to ensure we can continue to support you today and tomorrow, and keep deeply investing in our game engine.

You are what makes Unity great, and we know we need to listen, and work hard to earn your trust. We have heard your concerns, and we are making changes in the policy we announced to address them.

Our Unity Personal plan will remain free and there will be no Runtime Fee for games built on Unity Personal. We will be increasing the cap from $100,000 to $200,000 and we will remove the requirement to use the Made with Unity splash screen.

No game with less than $1 million in trailing 12-month revenue will be subject to the fee.

For those creators on Unity Pro and Unity Enterprise, we are also making changes based on your feedback.

The Runtime Fee policy will only apply beginning with the next LTS version of Unity shipping in 2024 and beyond. Your games that are currently shipped and the projects you are currently working on will not be included – unless you choose to upgrade them to this new version of Unity.

We will make sure that you can stay on the terms applicable for the version of Unity editor you are using – as long as you keep using that version.

For games that are subject to the runtime fee, we are giving you a choice of either a 2.5% revenue share or the calculated amount based on the number of new people engaging with your game each month. Both of these numbers are self-reported from data you already have available. You will always be billed the lesser amount.

We want to continue to build the best engine for creators. We truly love this industry and you are the reason why.

I’d like to invite you to join me for a live fireside chat hosted by Jason Weimann today at 4:00 pm ET/1:00 pm PT, where I will do my best to answer your questions. In the meantime, here are some more details.*

Thank you for caring as deeply as you do, and thank you for giving us hard feedback.

Marc Whitten

Bapanada

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so it took that much time for the lawyers to tackle them, pin them to the ground, and calmly explain that you can’t retroactively change the ToS like they tried to do

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's Bapanada, not Bapanadaaa.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I pronounce it so it rhymes with Canada.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm2oikWymg8

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pale bugs say bapanada like this

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've always heard bafanada, or at most, baphanada.

And like, sometimes I wonder, is my ear that hosed up (likely) or is it that I'm much more used to hearing words like bafanada while native English speakers are more used to bapanada (also likely)?

These are the questions that keep me awake at night when I browse the Silksong thread after midnight.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 23, 2023

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Buffonata

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Today we are one day closer to the release of Silksong.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Judge Tesla posted:

Today we are one day closer to the release of Silksong.

prove it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For every day that passes, Silk Song is delayed two days.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTHCwU9rUdY

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

https://x.com/wario64/status/1705604641021624613?s=46&t=UxDJMPLNGFeJKzstV625Ng

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Its real

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

S I L K S O N G

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Wario wouldn’t lie to me. Silksong Halloween 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Genuinely hoping that they just shadowdrop it one day out of nowhere. Don't even make a tweet, people just have to notice that all of a sudden its available for download.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Won't Steam inform everybody automatically though?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

S I L K S O N G

:lost:

:smith:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
... what is the opposite of Bapanada? I feel we should get this sorted out pretty soon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

... what is the opposite of Bapanada? I feel we should get this sorted out pretty soon.

FAAAAARRRFUUUUUUNNNNDAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

bapalots