Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The proposed solutions to the New Orleans saltwater incursion do not inspire confidence, but hopefully, the Army Corps of Engineers knows what they're doing. Sure can't think of any other times when they've totally screwed the pooch.

From the chair of the city council:

Apparently this has happened before in 1988, but current plans are for an event that will exceed that in duration and severity.

We need 36 million gallons of freshwater a day to do the dilution plan, and the Corps says they have 15 million gallons coming in by next week (but the news doesn't say if that's secured daily capacity or one-time shipments).

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 12:37 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
When do the water wars begin?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

last month it was spoonbills, now we have flamingos

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2023/09/22/five-flamingos-spotted-in-port-washington-wisconsin-in-lake-michigan/70933897007/

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
came up with a new idea on managing climate change, we put lots of glue in the ocean so that the poor can't sail here

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theyre basically tall geese

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

i keep forgetting flamingoes can fly

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

maybe young people should flaminGO to the polls

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ABSCBNNews/status/1705542525665075340?t=flsIUd2noIQVRHHJLBz80g&s=19

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am going to kill the biosphere

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

erryday, erry drat day

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

PostNouveau posted:

The proposed solutions to the New Orleans saltwater incursion do not inspire confidence, but hopefully, the Army Corps of Engineers knows what they're doing. Sure can't think of any other times when they've totally screwed the pooch.

Apparently this has happened before in 1988, but current plans are for an event that will exceed that in duration and severity.

We need 36 million gallons of freshwater a day to do the dilution plan, and the Corps says they have 15 million gallons coming in by next week (but the news doesn't say if that's secured daily capacity or one-time shipments).

I don’t think it will work. They’re having to leave a notch in the sill so shipping and cruise ships can pass. That’s going to widen just like any structure set in a base as muddy as the Mississippi.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

reminds me of karachi during monsoons, you guys got those attachments for your cars so you can drive through the water without your engine getting flooded?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m a billion pages behind I just want to say the ocean reaching a saturation limit on its ability to absorb heat is such a ridiculously impossible clearly end of the world situation I expect to read the news article about it next Tuesday.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If the river gets too salty they can just use tap water silly libs

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If the river gets too salty they can just use tap water silly libs

Well at least all the Salt Life bumper stickers I see around here will be somewhat justified now.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Edit wrong thread

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Gonna save the biosphere by smiling and working hard

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bull sharks now invading

https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1705402215379165620

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That shark is licking its lips

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
nature is heaving!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Holy poo poo! :psyboom:

Several decades late on that one. That's some fine science work there, EPA.

fits my needs posted:

reminds me of karachi during monsoons, you guys got those attachments for your cars so you can drive through the water without your engine getting flooded?

Snorkels. Don't need them out here where the economy isn't, everyone drives lifted 4x4s. If the water is deep enough to flood your engine you have more immediate problems, like drowning.

What happens when you immerse a large capacity Lion battery in water for an extended period of time, the kind that catches on fire if the packaging is breached, burns even more energetically if you put water on it, and makes its own oxygen so it keeps catching fire after you think it's been put out? Asking for a friend. :tesla:

im_sorry posted:

What's that going to do to the supply of capitalist greed powder?

Coffee?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

I am going to kill the biosphere

SMOOBLES NO!!!!!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

going to dump smoobles in a vat of glue (actionable threat)

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Hubbert posted:

SMOOBLES NO!!!!!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSM52OBPN7o

Actually, I was thinking of cocaine. I wonder how much capitalist greed is driven by it. Cocaine and lovely human behavior go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

im_sorry has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Sep 23, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I watched The Crimson Wing: The Mystery of the Flamingoes last week.

Poor move to tie your entire species to the seasonal cycle of one lake, imo.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

This poo poo again?

Salt is natural

Why are you idiot liberal doomers trying to make me eat bugs? Everyone has salt in their homes. Salt is in everything. Are you really claiming everyone's dinner table now has poison on it? That all of our houses will explode because of a simple shaker of salt?!?! What is your real plan here?!?!?!?!?!

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This poo poo again?

Salt is natural

Why are you idiot liberal doomers trying to make me eat bugs? Everyone has salt in their homes. Salt is in everything. Are you really claiming everyone's dinner table now has poison on it? That all of our houses will explode because of a simple shaker of salt?!?! What is your real plan here?!?!?!?!?!

all that salt isn’t good for your blood pressure!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rectal Death Adept posted:

This poo poo again?

Salt is natural

the bugs probably have more microplastics than the cows lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blatman posted:

the bugs probably have more microplastics than the cows lol

dude have you ever seen a cow? theyre much bigger than a bug

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

dude have you ever seen a cow? theyre much bigger than a bug

you eat bugs entirely while you eat cow's muscles only. so any and all microplastics the bug has eaten or lodged in its digestive tract you'd also eat, while for a cow youd only get microplastics that have been eaten and then migrated into the musculature

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://x.com/LeonSimons8/status/1705521632016544014?s=20

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

celadon posted:

you eat bugs entirely while you eat cow's muscles only. so any and all microplastics the bug has eaten or lodged in its digestive tract you'd also eat, while for a cow youd only get microplastics that have been eaten and then migrated into the musculature

I eat the whole cow.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

is it ever explained how you get gummi bears from wind turbines ?

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

Microplastics posted:

I eat the whole cow.

in soviet russia, microplastics eat you!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://apple.news/A6kIkRMwwQgGHaBCz5wjR2Q

Still time to save the Earth, guys. It’s not that bad, yet.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

kater posted:

they use the propellers to shear the gummies

all for an elaborate tiktok post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

https://eepower.com/news/scientists-create-gummy-bears-from-wind-turbines

There is a resin the blades are coated with that can be processed down into a multipurpose and apparently edible form. That's ignoring the metal and stuff in the blades so it isn't like they are being ground up into gummy bear powder.

Most common gummy bears themselves are already made out of bones which is why they aren't vegan so it just needs to be a gelatin adjacent fibrous raw material, apparently.