Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i had hoped to see how emplate was faring on krakoa, as unlike selene he didn't really want to eat people. but i guess he wasn't there for long before being enslaved by a demon. and of course now the five's buffet is closed. it sure sucks to be marius st. croix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Right?

There's a really strong possibility that his mother was a mutant, and could've been in the queue. Dude hates himself because the first thing he did when his hunger manifested was kill the only member of his family who gave a poo poo about him.

His body count is shockingly low for an X-Villain, too. To the point that it can be reasonably inferred that Marius goes out of his way to find victims who can survive his feeding on them. I don't even think he's a sociopath--although I think he wishes he was considering he spends most of his appearances trying to psych himself up enough to feed and/or trying to convince himself it's all for the sake of his own survival.

A semi-heroic death during the Krakoa era and he could've been resurrected with a "repaired" x-gene or with his hunger toned down; and at that point his powers aren't even significantly worse than Rogue's.

Edit:
His father, Monet, and the twins clearly did not give a poo poo whether Marius St. Croix lived or died even before his X-Gene morbed him. There's a serious golden child / scapegoat situation going on in that family, and it was so bad that when the twins banished Marius (and Monet) to the shadow realm they preferred to cease to exist rather than allow that dynamic to shift to them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 23, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This is just the nature of comics so it's really not surprising and probably could not have gone any other way, but there still could be literal years worth of stories examining how various characters reacted to the second chance of Krakoa and it's a shame we won't get to it. That was part of why the O5 news made me so mad since there's so many characters that are more interesting than what is a really bad read on the 1960s X-men, but I guess it'll all be over by then anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Look, I'm particularly sympathetic to the idea that every character is somsone's favorite character

But I'm having a real hard time believing how many people are up in arms about Emplate being done dirty

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Last time I was paying attention (2012?) Silver Sable was dead; I remember because she died offscreen and Peter was salty about it for like two whole panels. I guess it's not weird that she would come back in that amount of time, but did we know that she was alive? Or was her appearance at the end of the book supposed to be some kind of reveal? Does the question make sense? Also, why was Mystique hassling a jogger?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Danknificent posted:

Last time I was paying attention (2012?) Silver Sable was dead; I remember because she died offscreen and Peter was salty about it for like two whole panels. I guess it's not weird that she would come back in that amount of time, but did we know that she was alive? Or was her appearance at the end of the book supposed to be some kind of reveal? Does the question make sense? Also, why was Mystique hassling a jogger?
She came back (in the same Dan Slott Spider-Man run, but a few years later) where it was revealed that she escaped by using her "stealth suit" to escape from being blown up and/or drowned in the ocean.

Then a few years after that Nick Spencer did the double twist that she DID get blown up and/or drowned in the ocean but the Foreigner rescued her and she's all burned up and in a wheelchair, but had been piloting Life Model Decoys to seem like she was okay. Plus I guess Foreigner had taken over her operation and was embezzling all her money.

Then she appeared for like five pages in two comics across the next thirty issues which revealed that she'd taken the Infinity Formula and trained like, really hard, and was back to her old peak human fighting machine self and she re-embezzled the money back to her accounts and got the Wild Pack back in her control.

She's appeared here and there since then, and I believe everyone has just sort of politely ignored the Nick Spencer stuff, because what does it matter if it was a half-baked subplot that returned everything to the status quo that Spencer himself blew up?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Danknificent posted:

Last time I was paying attention (2012?) Silver Sable was dead; I remember because she died offscreen and Peter was salty about it for like two whole panels. I guess it's not weird that she would come back in that amount of time, but did we know that she was alive? Or was her appearance at the end of the book supposed to be some kind of reveal? Does the question make sense?

Yeah, I remembered Sable was back, but not why, so I had to go look it up. Apparently her death got retconned during Spencer's run on ASM; she was busted up in "Ends of the Earth," but her ex-husband bailed her out before she actually died.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Thanks. I appreciate the help. Keeping up is hard work these days.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danknificent posted:

Also, why was Mystique hassling a jogger?

We last saw her suffer brain bleed from resisting telepathy and fall into the Pacific, so going theory is she has developed amnesia that will be elaborated on here and in the X-Men Blue: Origins oneshot

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

We last saw Silver Sable and the Wild Pack teaming up with Bats the Ghost-Hound, who I assume is going to join the X-Men at some point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite Silver Sable thing is when she sued Cable's old mercenary group for using the Wild Pack trademark so they changed to Six Pack because that's what they were drinking when trying to decide a new name. And there was six of them.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite Silver Sable thing is when she sued Cable's old mercenary group for using the Wild Pack trademark so they changed to Six Pack because that's what they were drinking when trying to decide a new name. And there was six of them.

the six pack were good, bring back Grizzly

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

the six pack were good, bring back Grizzly
Looking up what happened to Grizzly, you can add him to the ever-growing list of "characters Jeph Loeb decided should eat people."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking up what happened to Grizzly, you can add him to the ever-growing list of "characters Jeph Loeb decided should eat people."

Jeph did my man Teddy Winchester absolutely filthy and he himself barely did anything with it for Domino afterward anyway considering he only did it to give her pathos for like, an issue. The only time i can remember it coming up again is when Arcade randomly makes a fake robot Grizzly to gently caress with her in the '95 Cable & X-Force annual.

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 23, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I stopped reading X-men (and most comics) in the freaking mid-90s. Sort of absorbed what was going on through friends still on the grind and felt that justified my decision.

Some years back i picked up a book and apparently Cyclops was the radical mutant Che Guevara and wolverine was the cool head trying to hold things together. Seemed interesting, but didn't lure me back.

Then I watched the Comicpop piece on X of Swords and it finally hooked me into asking my friend to loan me some of the current arc.

And poo poo, it's probably the best X-men stuff i read in my whole life. Maybe it's middle-age goggles just messing with my brain, but for once i really like the stakes, the character beats, the art and the ambition of the storyline.

The scary question now is...what -else- did I miss?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I remember liking Gillen's run, some x-force, Age of X, and the Legion focused Legacy.

Also greatly enjoyed the legion TV show on rewatch

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sephyr posted:

I stopped reading X-men (and most comics) in the freaking mid-90s. Sort of absorbed what was going on through friends still on the grind and felt that justified my decision.

Some years back i picked up a book and apparently Cyclops was the radical mutant Che Guevara and wolverine was the cool head trying to hold things together. Seemed interesting, but didn't lure me back.

Then I watched the Comicpop piece on X of Swords and it finally hooked me into asking my friend to loan me some of the current arc.

And poo poo, it's probably the best X-men stuff i read in my whole life. Maybe it's middle-age goggles just messing with my brain, but for once i really like the stakes, the character beats, the art and the ambition of the storyline.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things not a lot, since Secret Wars more or less rebooted everything with a new status quo, then HOX/POX honestly kind of did that (I mean it didn't actually reboot anything, but it introduced the current status quo which did basically take all that other stuff and throw it out the window more or less).

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Endless Mike posted:

Which wasn't even the only time Cable had to change the name of his team after losing the trademark.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dark X-Men is generally pretty good but the idea of changing your name from Gimmick to Feint sure is a step...sideways? Truly giving nothing to nothing and I still don't know what your power actually is. Stepping from a fuzzy jpg to an empty pdf that doesn't load. Multigrain to wheat bread energy. I want to like all these new queer characters like her and Escapade etc but truly none of you would survive a Capcom crossover

Sephyr posted:

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-KP0vP-HQ0

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 25, 2023

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Escapade is the major example I can really think of that is a character really getting an undeserved push. She single-handedly ruined the New Mutants book.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sephyr posted:

aaron's wolverine and the x-men was a fun run from what i recall, he and kitty rebuild the school and there's a good mix of newer and older characters

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is a lot of good stuff over the last 20 years (and a lot of bad) but one of the features of the current run is it kind of made it un-required reading since it was such a clean break from what was going on before. The exception is probably New Mutants because a lot of those plots require some familiarity with what the characters have been going through last 10-15 years.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought Escapade and Morgan were cool, that arc in New Mutants had a nice vibe of "these ancient teens from the 80s train a new generation" and it was nice to see Cerebella and the U-Men doing stuff.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Rick posted:

There is a lot of good stuff over the last 20 years (and a lot of bad) but one of the features of the current run is it kind of made it un-required reading since it was such a clean break from what was going on before. The exception is probably New Mutants because a lot of those plots require some familiarity with what the characters have been going through last 10-15 years.

I mean, just in the last 12 or so issues I have read catching up there's mentions of Kitty's ninja past, Inferno, the Brood and the Starjammers, some 4 mutant purges/genocides, plus other stuff I'm leaving out. It's not cloying, at least so far, and the stuff and characters I didn't know get enough of a preamble andi ntegration that the flow doesn't suffer.

I really have to admire the courage to just roll up the sleeves and go "Actually, a world with mutants and magical dimensions and such WOULD be really different from ours. It'd have teleportals and crazy drugs and robot vigilante extremists!". It's always a tap-dance on a minefield to explore that and not completely veer into sci-fi or a setting too divorced from the world that feels 'real' (which is why they just mass-kill mutants or reset stuff whenever the storyline feels like the regular person would see more mutants than Teslas when going for a walk).

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

BrianWilly posted:

but truly none of you would survive a Capcom crossover

this phrase is probably going to live rent free in my head for the rest of my life, ty

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Been reading Days of Future Past: Doomsday and it might be the worst comic with the Marvel logo on it that I've read in about 3 years. Is all of Guggenheim's output this trash?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Usually. He's written the X-Men a few times and it almost always is bland at best. He should stick to CW shows.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

never ever give a tv writer a comic book

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Alaois posted:

What about a TV actor?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What about a TV actor?

Ms. Marvel is good so sure.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What about a TV actor?

ironically, a better track record than tv writers

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think an exception for this rule should be made for animation writers, because Dini's done some good stuff. That issue with Joker kidnapping Tim and driving around might be the only modern era Joker story that didn't make me roll my eyes right out of my drat head.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alaois posted:

What about Christopher cantwell?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Christopher cantwell?

I know a lot of people like him, but his comics have really left me flat.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I've really liked his stuff I've read. His Iron Man was great imo.

I can see why he might not be for everyone though. He writes in a very grounded way compared to someone like Hickman or Gillen I think. Less fun and big ideas than a lot of big writers. Even Tony Stark becoming a space god for an issue or two didn't feel big and boisterous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as of issue 2, realm of x is doing absolutely nothing for me.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

as of issue 2, realm of x is doing absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah, the current X-line is a real mixed bag.

Realm, Jean Grey, Iceman, Storm, and Days of Future Past: Doomsday don't do much for me.

Red, X-Force, Wolverine, Immortal, Iron Man, Uncanny Spider-Man, and Children of the Vault are fine to good.

I haven't checked out Ms. Marvel but people seem to like it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jean Grey seems like they just had this idea for a mini and shoehorned it into Fall of X. It's like What If except at the end I figure she'll be Phoenix again.

Realm of X is pretty boring. I think it'll read better as a trade, but as a monthly it's not great. Same for Iceman.

Ms. Marvel is great though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jean grey is a strange mini. she's trying to edit her own timeline with knowledge of the future, which is interesting enough. but i'm not quite sure how she is observing any of this. is it all in her head, including issue 1? i certainly hope not, because 'all a dream' endings are never good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Immortal, Iron man and Vaultkids are the only ones that particularly interest me, and only just.