Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Wait resizing widgets isn't a default android thing? Signed a one ui user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hark posted:

this is my main reason for liking and still using nova launcher; being able to resize my widgets.

Hyperion works for me. Don't remember the name of the other launcher I tried, but it let you resize widgets and move icons to like 1/4 steps of the grid, but forced like 3x more than regular space around each widget and it drove me insane.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Resdfru posted:

Wait resizing widgets isn't a default android thing? Signed a one ui user

The app developer chooses the sizes that are available and how the widget "sits" within that space

Some are great but others are "graphic design is my passion"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

smoobles posted:

The app developer chooses the sizes that are available and how the widget "sits" within that space

Some are great but others are "graphic design is my passion"

That's basically why I use a dedicated page for my calendar. I have 3 total screens, default with 99% of what I use, left is calendar, right is misc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm looking for some kind of basic notes app that would let me pull up some text as fast as possible, preferably, a single tap.
Any fancy features are not required.

Also, is there an app that would allow me to change my system's "material"? The one that came with my phone was full of malware and it's default material is ugly rear end brown that some other apps insist on using.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Why are some of my apps not updating until weeks or months later? I check app updates every so often and I just had an app say it was updating from an update in June.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

calandryll posted:

Why are some of my apps not updating until weeks or months later? I check app updates every so often and I just had an app say it was updating from an update in June.

I would like to know this. I get a notification about app updates almost daily, update all, and then see one that had the update released months ago. I don't care if it's, like, my photo album app (and it's never Google apps), but if it's something important like my VPN app....

However, I think I read somewhere that an update can be uploaded without being made public, so when it does become available, the date is the original date.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Funny enough, the one from back in June was a Google app, I think it was Find my device or something. But you are right, most of the stuff I don't care about but the ones I do want up to date are things like my banking app, etc.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just don't worry about it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just never update.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's gotten to the point where I have disabled auto updates, and just check manually a minimum of once a day.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I am having a weird issue.
For about a week, all my incoming calls have been sent to a recording, stating I'm temporarily not available and I will get a short message about this missed call.
I am receiving those short messages, so at least I know somebody tried to call me.

Outbound calls and mobile data work fine.
I have nothing set up to block calls, no third party phone or call screening app, no blacklist, no unknown caller ID blocking, not DND, no flight mode, nothing of that sort. Went through those settings multiple times.

Tried the SIM card in a different phone, works fine.

Then I did a factory reset with a backup restore and immediately after, incoming calls went through again.

Now, about 2 days later, incoming calls go to the recording again.
Some apps had regular updates via Google Play (the default Google phone app among them apparently, since the app icon went from the old white phone on blue background to blue phone on white background).

Some app seems to be interfering with my incoming calls and I have no idea how to track it down.
I checked Permissions for phone access and there's nothing out of the ordinary there.

Can't find anything remotely related when googling, just the usual advice (DnD, Flight Mode, Block lists, etc.).

Is there a diagnostics tool or event logger that could tell me what interferes with my incoming calls?

Did another factory reset, calls work again now.
I will keep a close look on any app updates to see what might break it again, but it's gotta be something quite obscure.

But as they say, the definition of insanity is doing the same over and over again and expecting different results ...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Have you tried calling 611 and asking them?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

H110Hawk posted:

Have you tried calling 611 and asking them?

Oh, this is in the EU, Germany, to be specific.
But I doubt it's a carrier issue.

I finished the factory reset and restore about an hour ago, installed every outstanding app update one by one (4 in total, Google app, Google Webview, Google Search and Chrome) and managed to successfully call my mobile from the landline after each single update.

Didn't do anything else. Now, calls are going to the recording again.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills over here.

Fake Edit: Uninstalled the updates for the Google App.
Calls are working again.

Updated Google app again, calls go to recording.

Uninstall updates, calls work again.
I think that nails it down, but what do I know what's going on in the background here.

Fake Edit:
OOOOOH. It's a known issue?! Went to the android support forum and it's even a pinned subject in the german section. Not in the english forums though, which I looked up first.

Huh. Of course they only suggest to download the latest app update (which I did and it broke it again), with the thread locked but roughly 1,500 users chiming in with the same issue. So no biggie I guess. Just breaking connectivity for unknown reasons. 👍

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I was going to say - stop restoring from backup, stop updating apps. Then once it works for however long, update your apps 1 at a time until it breaks.

Either way your carrier can sometimes tell you more information about why the phone is refusing calls. And tell you how to get into diagnostic screens etc.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking for some kind of basic notes app that would let me pull up some text as fast as possible, preferably, a single tap.
Any fancy features are not required.

If by 'basic notes' you mean like, a folder of .txt files, I use Markor for this and it works great. Pick a folder, it'll drop a widget showing all the files in that folder, tap to open. I don't know if it has any kind of cloud integration, I have my notes folder shared via Syncthing.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
New EU regulations (which will end up affecting all Europe and even further afield) mean Google and Apple must build their OS to allow independent apps competing with their own default ones to work as well as these defaults. Or at least provide the coding tricks that make them function with fewer glitches on Android and iOS. (That's my understanding at least. And there are a lot more components to the regulations, such as the ability to uninstall nearly every one of their non-essential apps. Samsung, so far, has successfully argued they're not a tech juggernaut like the others, and I was looking forward to getting rid of Samsung Free.)

If this doesn't compromise security by giving 'Karl's Calculator App Totally Not Malware' greater access to your system that'll be a small but welcome change.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 24, 2023

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

such as the ability to uninstall near every one of their non-essential apps. Samsung, so far, has sucessfully argued they're not a tech juggernaut like the others

But why would you want to uninstall Facebook?!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Though this is the pro-est deletion candidate. No presidential alerts, amber alerts, whoops I didn't know this terminal was live alerts, etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's Google I have a gripe with just now.

I got an advertisement for Google VPN being available for me as part pf G One Previously I looked into Google One and the VPN wasn't available in the country I'm currently training. After subscribing and trying to install the feature I'm told that it's still not available here. Support wasn't much help.

Hi I signed up for Google One because the page says it comes with Google VPN. But then it's not available in my country?
'Yeah sorry but all of the features for any service are always subject to local availability.'
Sure. Sure. But why is there text saying Get Google VPN Free With Google One on country x's G One page, in language x, when it's not available in country x?
'Look I didn't design the website okay pal?'

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You should have just googled to see if it's available... :colbert:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Knowing Google it probably was available and then they pulled it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Inceltown posted:

Knowing Google it probably was available and then they pulled it.

Speaking of. Google Podcasts is going to be shut down and merged into YouTube Music.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/26/google-podcasts-to-shut-down-in-2024-with-listeners-migrated-to-youtube-music/

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

deong posted:

Speaking of. Google Podcasts is going to be shut down and merged into YouTube Music.
https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/26/google-podcasts-to-shut-down-in-2024-with-listeners-migrated-to-youtube-music/

I knew this would happen when I moved over from Play Music after they killed that one. I'm not gonna make the same mistake this time, it's only a matter of time before YouTube Music is killed as well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been annoyed by the Google Podcasts app for a while now, but not enough to switch to something else. I guess Google is forcing my hand. Is there anything else out there that will let you mass mark a big swath of episodes as Finished? I'm working backwards through the backlog of one of my podcasts and would hate to lose my place.

sirbeefalot posted:

Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

The email I got says no paid subscription required, but I'll never let go of my grandfathered $8 a month Play Music legacy sub for the Ad-Free Youtube alone.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

sirbeefalot posted:

what the gently caress? lmao why do people even use YouTube music...?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hark posted:

Bandire posted:

I'll never let go of my grandfathered $8 a month Play Music legacy sub for the Ad-Free Youtube alone and also the music.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bandire posted:

Is there anything else out there that will let you mass mark a big swath of episodes as Finished? I'm working backwards through the backlog of one of my podcasts and would hate to lose my place.
You can easily do this in the two I mostly use, Podcast Addict and Player.FM; in Spotify, I don't really see the same option but might be missing it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bandire posted:

The email I got says no paid subscription required

I just got the email as well. I'll try it when it's available, but you can listen to music in YT Music without a paid sub also. Just... with the screen on, in the app the whole time only (it does work in split screen as well).

Just to be clear I'm not refuting you specifically here, just very wary about the wording in their email. Guess I'll start trying some other apps.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I just use newpipe with sponsor block and I listen to YouTube with the screen off and don't even need to be signed in

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

This.
I watch youtube all day at work then youtube music driving etc. No ads.
Pocket Casts works pretty good. https://pocketcasts.com/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

deong posted:

This.
I watch youtube all day at work then youtube music driving etc. No ads.
Pocket Casts works pretty good. https://pocketcasts.com/

Seconding Pocket Casts, I love it.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

pik_d posted:

Seconding Pocket Casts, I love it.

pocketcasts was completely hosed just a few days ago, as in for me the interface was unresponsive while something was playing. others had other symptoms. it seems to have been fixed now, but fair warning.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lawson posted:

pocketcasts was completely hosed just a few days ago, as in for me the interface was unresponsive while something was playing. others had other symptoms. it seems to have been fixed now, but fair warning.

Huh, I didn't experience any problems with it in the last week.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

hark posted:

Cause it's included in the YouTube premium family plan I pay for

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Huh, I didn't experience any problems with it in the last week.

Same, I use it daily and didn't encounter anything.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Looking at recent play store ratings I wasn't the only one with pocketcasts problems. On my new p7a I resorted to finding the folder with the downloaded episodes and then pointing poweramp at them. Clumsy but it worked in a pinch on a long train ride. Good to see that it kept working for some of you.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawson posted:

Mine was fine as well. I also haven't updated it since 2021 so who knows. It's a champ.

Article claims opml export for Google podcasts when they shut it down, which pocketcasts can import.

Pocketcasts has a easy way to mass mark as listened. Just tested it out.

Edit: lol most recent reviews are atrocious for it - sounds like what you are describing. Do never update.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm telling you all, Podcast Addict. Been using it for eight years.