Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

LeschNyhan posted:

If you're going to stay put, you don't need to spend any MP (and therefore pick up the +1 targeting penalty for both shooting and punching), just torso-twist. You should still be able to shoot all guns and punch with both hands.

This isn't entirely true - torso twisting doesn't affect melee combat, so if the Shadow Hawk stands still it can only punch with its left arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Man, Wolverines have a terrible habit of falling over in this LP.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're just staying true to the source material.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Is "armor" a thing in that universe or do they just cover their robots in aluminum foil?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Scintilla posted:

:ohdear:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scintilla posted:

It's one of the reasons I always raise my eyebrow on tier rankings that put wolverines so high. That -1 piloting hurts

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Don't worry, you're not the only one.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So weird to see a Shadow Hawk being able to take out multiple Wolverines without getting a scratch.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is "armor" a thing in that universe or do they just cover their robots in aluminum foil?

You're talking about an anime where an attack helicopter makes an attack run and, without taking any sort of incoming fire, just plows straight into a building exactly the same way the VTOLs in Mechwarrior 5 do.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

You're talking about an anime where an attack helicopter makes an attack run and, without taking any sort of incoming fire, just plows straight into a building exactly the same way the VTOLs in Mechwarrior 5 do.

They fixed that, they do attack you now but only the big ones are any kind of nuisance, the small ones just serve to draw away your LL or PPC fire for a second

Man if the AI in that game was capable of combined arms or any kind of coordination at all it would be so much better

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Technowolf posted:

So weird to see a Shadow Hawk being able to take out multiple Wolverines without getting a scratch.

And all those poor Thunderbolts.

That Shadow Hawk did get tagged in the back. It probably replaced the aluminium foil with Plot Armour.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
River_Bed_[1268]: Turn 5

A frustrated sigh bubbled up from deep within Jenna’s chest as the Fusilier Hunchback loped away from her. Her Wolverine’s Large Laser should have carved the mech’s rear armour open like a Christmas turkey, allowing the high-explosive warheads of her SRM-6 to wreak untold havoc upon its exposed innards. Her advance had been hidden by a large hill that the simulator had filled with metal deposits, rendering her invisible to sensors and giving her excellent ambush potential. The Hunchback was the most dangerous Fusilier mech on the field, and this had been the perfect chance to take it out.

Or it would have been, if not for that meddlesome Hornet. The ludicrous walking metal egg had landed right in front of her and promptly unleashed its full arsenal, haphazardly spraying SRMs and firing its lasers everywhere. It had been totally ineffectual, but the shock of the assault had ruined Jenna’s aim. Her Large Laser had missed its mark entirely, and while a few of her SRMs struck the Hunchback’s rear armour, none had been able to penetrate. The Hunchback quickly made itself scarce, its back scarred and pitted but still intact, leaving Jenna and the Hornet to face one another in the shadow of the hill.

Jenna took a calming breath and swallowed her irritation. The battlefield was a chaotic place, and these kinds of interruptions happened all the time. There was no point in getting angry about it. Besides, while one opportunity had been wasted, another had come along to take its place. The Hornet was small fry compared to the Hunchback, but someone would have to take it out sooner or later, and that person might as well be Jenna herself. It shouldn’t be too difficult; the Hornet’s legs were weak and spindly enough that one solid kick from her Wolverine should be enough to shear them right off.

Her strategy settled, Jenna kicked out with her Wolverine’s right leg, the same leg she had used to eliminate the Fusilier Sentinel half a minute earlier. But as her simulated mech’s foot swept forwards the Hornet pivoted and kicked out with its own much thinner leg. The motion caused the Wolverine’s foot to miss by a whisker, while the Hornet struck Jenna’s left leg just below the knee. Jenna’s pod rocked as its hip and gyro equivalents tried to absorb the impact, but it was too much. The motion of her missed kick, combined with the shock to her supporting leg, had pushed her completely off balance.

“Really?” Jenna grumbled as her Wolverine tipped over, falling heavily on its front. The pod bucked violently as she hit the ground, the motion not quite equivalent to a real fall but unpleasant enough to teach a trainee to avoid losing their balance at all costs. As she came to rest she spied the Hornet scampering off up the hill, clearly trying to circle around to get a better shot at her. The pilot’s skill might be questionable, but they had the devil’s own luck, and in her experience that often counted for more.

Weapons fire for Gladiator GLD-4R (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Torso! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Right Torso, 5/20 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 8: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player):
-Fires PPC at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 12: Hits Right Leg! Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) takes 10 damage to Right Leg, 0/16 Armour, 8/13 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Right Leg! No critical hits sustained.
-Fires LRM-5 at Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers); needs 11, rolls 12: Hits Left Arm! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Arm, 4/6 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 6, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers); needs 8, rolls 8: 4 Missiles Hit! Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) takes 2 damage to Left Leg (18/20 Armour remaining), Rear Right Torso (2/4 Armour remaining), Rear Centre Torso (3/5 Armour remaining) and Left Arm (4/16 Armour remaining).

--

Weapons fire for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
-Fires AC/5 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: Hits Right Torso! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Torso, 13/18 Armour remaining.
-Fires SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 9: 3 Missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Leg (14/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (14/16 Armour remaining) and Right Arm (12/16 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-6 at Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 7, rolls 7: 6 Missiles Hit! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Arm (10/16 Armour remaining), Right Arm (8/16 Armour remaining), Right Torso (11/18 Armour remaining), Right Leg (12/16 Armour remaining), Right Torso (9/18 Armour remaining) and Left Leg (14/16 Armour remaining)

Weapons fire for Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Fires Small Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires SRM-4 at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 9, rolls 3: Misses!

Physical attacks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player):
-Punches Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) with Left Arm; needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Punches Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) with Right Arm; needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!

Physical attacks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
-Kicks Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!

--

Physical attacks for Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Leg! Shadow Hawk SHD-2K (Player) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 7/16 Armour remaining.

Physical attacks for Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers):
-Kicks Wolverine WVR-6M (Player); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Left Leg! Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) takes 4 damage to Left Leg, 15/19 Armour remaining.

Gladiator GLD-4R (Player) gains 21 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 9 heat. Overheating!

Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 13 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) gains 13 heat, sinks 14 heat and is now at 3 heat.

--

Commando COM-2D (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Griffin GRF-1N (Fusiliers) gains 4 heat, sinks 11 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Hornet HNT-152 (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4H (Fusiliers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) gains 12 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Player) begins dumping SRM-6 Ammunition (Right Torso).

--

Piloting checks for Shadow Hawk SHD-2H (Player):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 6, rolls 8; Succeeds!
Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 6; Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Wolverine WVR-6M (Player):
Missed a Kick / Was Kicked: needs 5, rolls 4; Fails!
-Wolverine WVR-6M (Player) falls on its front, suffering 5 damage to Left Arm (13/18 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Left Arm (12/18 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Jenna Sable must roll a 5+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 6: Succeeds!

Piloting checks for Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers):
Took 20+ Damage: needs 7, rolls 2; Fails!
-Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) falls on its left side, suffering 5 damage to Right Torso (0/20 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Right Arm (11/16 Armour remaining).
-Pilot Jean-Paul Camus must roll a 7+ to avoid a Pilot Hit; rolls 7: Succeeds!

Wolverine WVR-6R (Fusiliers) attempts to stand. Needs 6, rolls 6: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Small Pilot: Negates ‘Cramped Cockpit’ penalties.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat the First Decimis Fusiliers (1/6)

Secondary Objectives:
-Humiliate Etienne Decimis (100,000 C-Bill reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 26th 9:00PM GMT.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LEG SWEPT :cripes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:negative:

How does getting up work in terms of movement, does it use any mp?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

:negative:

How does getting up work in terms of movement, does it use any mp?

There are two methods for standing up. You can try to stand up normally, which costs 2 MP and requires a 5+ piloting test, after which you can move as usual. The other option is to stand up carefully, which only requires a 3+ piloting test but prevents you from moving afterwards. You can still change your facing however.

One other thing - Battlemechs cannot jump after standing up from a fall, they can only walk or run. It also might be a good idea to include some contingency movement orders just in case you fail to stand up, since you can try again as long as you have at least 2 MP left.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so I can't jump, this leaves me thinking like my best option is to stand up carefully and either unload on the sentinel to get it out of our lives, or see if I can take another couple of shots at the hunchback as I'm loathe to let him get away

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Azhais posted:

It's one of the reasons I always raise my eyebrow on tier rankings that put wolverines so high. That -1 piloting hurts

Design quirks such as Cramped Cockpit remain an optional rule, and were not introduced into the game until 2010's Strategic Operations. As far as I can tell, it wasn't until 2017's BattleMech Manual that design quirks were assigned to existing canon designs. For the vast majority of the time the Wolverine has existed, that -1 to piloting did not exist.

It wasn't even something you could point to being in the fluff from the beginning, unlike many quirks. The original TRO 3025 makes no reference to the cockpit being cramped - the in-universe flaw of the design is that the jump jets were overstrained (the WVR being one of the heaviest jump-capable mechs at the time) and prone to failure.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Ok so I can't jump, this leaves me thinking like my best option is to stand up carefully and either unload on the sentinel to get it out of our lives, or see if I can take another couple of shots at the hunchback as I'm loathe to let him get away

What scintilla was tryign to say is you could, for example, is you could :
try to get up and move
try to get up twice and move
up to four times.

5+ is pretty generous!

The benefit to non-careful standing is you get a regular defensive move modifier through being able to move after, and careful standing gets you nothing. In short, its there for when you start racking up gyro hits and piloting penalties from actuator damage... or are too badly beat up that another fall can cripple you for good.

To put this into practice, if you succeed on the first go, you can back up a few hexes or move forward.

The comedy option would be to succeed on the second go, grab a cactus and bonk the hornet. (That does put you in a position where the hornet -can- kick you, but I don't think it has the tonnage to justice foot your head off)

If you fail to stand, I think you fall again (and can take more damage that way), but sometimes taking the 5 point hit is better than giving your enemies guns free shots.
Its something you'll have to weigh!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, not much I can do this turn without being at risk of exploding. Staying put puts me at risk of getting stomped on by the Griffin, so I'll just back up to 0119 and finish dumping ammo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Gladiator

I'm running quite hot and still have all my armor so I'm thinking of standing still and shooting the hornet.

Should hopefully draw some fire!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

So there's some fun options here...

The SHD could both shoot the Hornet and then double punch the back of the Wolverine by getting to 1214. This should also cut off the Hunchback's torso mounted weapons from reaching you. Downside is you expose your weak right side to the GRF at short range.

The GLD could run up to the Commando and go full melee to cool off, and it cuts off LOS from the rest.

Our WVL could get to 1610 of the first normal stand attempt works, that gets you out of short range for the Hornet.

Yeah, the TBT should probably hide but move somewhere to setup the most options next turn. Maybe enter the cactus facing North to setup on the HBK next turn.

Overall, the Lance is spread out. You can't really bring all your firepower on a target. You'll have to setup rear arc shots and keep out of LOS of the most dangerous enemies as you do it.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 24, 2023

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The lrm has minimum range penalty (6 hexes) at least, but the ppc yeah

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

The lrm has minimum range penalty (6 hexes) at least, but the ppc yeah

Yeah, the PPC will go critical through any of the SHD's right locations. Not a good trade. It could reach the Commando though 1517 for melee and have a perfect shot on the Hornet for the PPC and only +1 on the LRM. Also denies the big 3 from LOS.

Overall the Lance needs to remove some units off the board. Everyone but the TBT could pile on the Hornet and you'd be free from on your heels. If our WVR wants to hit the Hornet, 2112 is probably the best spot, and you can reach it even with one failed stand. Get partial coverage from the big boys. The more I look at it, cutting off the opportunity for the GRF/HBK and focusing the Hornet seems to be my best course of action.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 24, 2023

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Just a general piece of advice - walking / standing still may give players better odds to hit, but it also gives me better odds to hit you back. Often times it actually benefits me more; most of my pilots have poor gunnery, so making it easier for me to shoot you minimises that disadvantage and tilts the odds back in my favour somewhat. It's the reason why I racked up so much damage both this turn and last turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Scintilla posted:

Just a general piece of advice - walking / standing still may give players better odds to hit, but it also gives me better odds to hit you back. Often times it actually benefits me more; most of my pilots have poor gunnery, so making it easier for me to shoot you minimises that disadvantage and tilts the odds back in my favour somewhat. It's the reason why I racked up so much damage both this turn and last turn.

This x100.

If you all maintain good move mods this will be a cakewalk.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Haven't really counted hexes, but i think our SHD and GLD can both reach the back of the COM behind the hill and unload on it. Our lance is really spread out and the opfor is converging on the prone WVR.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

bonus objective for the next time Jenna's piloting her wolverine: don't go 3 for 3 in falling down in a mission

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Amechwarrior posted:

Yeah, the PPC will go critical through any of the SHD's right locations. Not a good trade. It could reach the Commando though 1517 for melee and have a perfect shot on the Hornet for the PPC and only +1 on the LRM. Also denies the big 3 from LOS.

That bastard shot my mech! I'm going to chase after him and remove that fool head of his from his shoulders.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Space Kablooey posted:

Haven't really counted hexes, but i think our SHD and GLD can both reach the back of the COM behind the hill and unload on it. Our lance is really spread out and the opfor is converging on the prone WVR.

Gladiator

I can get there but I'm hot as hell so it's melee only for me if I do it. I'm really inclined to focus on the hornet and just tank the shots this turn since the 2 big hitters don't actually have LOS to me and the other guys are relatively worse shots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wolverine

Having absorbed the above posts about standing up (thanks guys) I think my best outcome would be to get up, fire srm's at the wolverine and the LL at the hunchback, then gtfo of there and run back behind the hill. This will likely open me to rear fire from the Hornet on the next turn but I think this is less-bad than being exposed to all their big hitters at once.

If I fail to get up on the first try then I'm thinking I reverse northeast to at least try and open up the range from the bigger mechs

Can I fire at the hunchback or wolverine with one weapon, then do a 180 and fire at the Hornet, then run away?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Moving is always first. So stand, back up three hexes, and shoot the hornet would be a good move. That at least gets a +1 move mod.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'd personally get the techs to convert the Trebuchet to a -5J after this is over. Being a short-range brawler is dangerous when you don't have mobility or armor. We're lucky this is a sim because I'm piloting a walking bomb.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 24, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

This x100.

If you all maintain good move mods this will be a cakewalk.

Furthering this sentiment. Keeping your movement mods up is critical. Don't stand still unless you're some hill humping sniper/LRM-boat.

If you are walking, move at least 3 Hexes, if you're Running or Jumping move at least 5. These are the break even points where your firing malus is equal to the malus enemies have to overcome to hit you. If you move less that that, you better end up in a position that's worth it like cover/trees or absolutely need to make a certain shot in a certain hex.

Keep moving.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I moved more than 3 hexes every time and I'm still on my rear end :colbert:

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I moved more than 3 hexes every time and I'm still on my rear end :colbert:

You pilot the Wolverine, you knew what you were getting into.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Y'all are missing the funniest part: Our Wolverine doesn't suffer from the Cramped Cockpit quirk, because Jenna's Small Pilot SPA negates it. That pratfall was just plain old bad luck.

Shame we're so early on the timeline, because she could probably make good use of Small Cockpit mechs.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A literal mech jockey climbing into midget pod and falling over 5 minutes into the battle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok I'm going to do my best to get up, reverse out of there and shoot my short range guns at the Hornet

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd personally get the techs to convert the Trebuchet to a -5J after this is over. Being a short-range brawler is dangerous when you don't have mobility or armor. We're lucky this is a sim because I'm piloting a walking bomb.

I'd also be willing to allow a custom refit that exchanges two heat sinks for two tons of armour. It wouldn't be too difficult for the techs to do since armour and heat sinks are canonically very easy to slot in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I could see doing 1 sink for 1t armor, but tbh that treb is a really nice machine. It's just one that has to take advantage of it's speed at all times. Since it can consistently get +3 mods, that's where it's ability to survive comes from.