Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
think its kinda hosed again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I love how every day it's been the same thing: I check Overkill's twitter, they claim the game's working, and it isn't.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
it was pretty solid from about 6am this morning until about half past noon est

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a couple glitches here and there but like 9-10 games in a row

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I was able to get several runs in last night with a group of friends, but one the group broke up someone tried solo and immediately had queuing issues. I'm wondering if groups might be getting priority in mm.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Kikas posted:

But most of all why are there only 6 maps?

Because you can’t count? Don’t make me defend the botched launch

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Atoramos posted:

I'm sure whatever's actually the issue will be fixed in the next 48h but it's a bad look for sure

haha ahaha aahhhhh

:negative:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I played another round! Almost stealthed the jewelry store first try which was cool

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been able to consistently play for the last ~24 hours, matchmaking takes a minute or two but it's been working :shrug:

edit: on gamepass with crossplay enabled

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Me and a buddy have stealthed the jewelry store and the first bank.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played PD2, so maybe this is misremembering, but stealth feels a little more forgiving without it feeling cheesy. I really appreciate the extended negotiation phase but it would be nice if you could either get it a second time to delay the next wave or it was just a tiny bit easier/longer. (getting medpacks is only marginally useful, although it does make it nice to basically not have to carry a medpack deployable ever.)

It makes for a good arc if you try your best stealth but playthrough if you blow it. We’ve had a couple games where the assault was just barely hitting as we got out and it felt neat.

Researching skills is weird, to me. It feels like my strategy is going to be to equip every single one tree randomly until they’re all unlocked so I don’t have to worry about it. It takes some time, but not a ton, so it feels like a weird speed bump. I’m super appreciative respecs are free and easy.

I’ve read some complaints about the challenge based progression and I guess I’m finding myself somewhat indifferent? I think you should get something for every heist (“xp” wise) and it stinks that you don’t. It’s also weird that if you were a very sneak heavy crew you’d never get enough kills to get silencers, lol. At the same time, at least early on in the progression, I’m getting a whole bunch of challenges every single match.

My opinion could definitely sour if it gets super annoying toward the mid/end of levels.

Games fun when it works, overall. It’s what I wanted out of a Payday 3, more or less.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been able to consistently play for the last ~24 hours, matchmaking takes a minute or two but it's been working :shrug:

edit: on gamepass with crossplay enabled

Yeah I had luck today for all but one or two matches that I got matchmaking errors for but got in after trying again once or twice.

Edit: Lol nevermind now i'm getting constant matchmaking errors :v:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2023

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Me and a buddy have stealthed the jewelry store and the first bank.

It’s been a long time since I’ve played PD2, so maybe this is misremembering, but stealth feels a little more forgiving without it feeling cheesy. I really appreciate the extended negotiation phase but it would be nice if you could either get it a second time to delay the next wave or it was just a tiny bit easier/longer. (getting medpacks is only marginally useful, although it does make it nice to basically not have to carry a medpack deployable ever.)

It makes for a good arc if you try your best stealth but playthrough if you blow it. We’ve had a couple games where the assault was just barely hitting as we got out and it felt neat.

Researching skills is weird, to me. It feels like my strategy is going to be to equip every single one tree randomly until they’re all unlocked so I don’t have to worry about it. It takes some time, but not a ton, so it feels like a weird speed bump. I’m super appreciative respecs are free and easy.

I’ve read some complaints about the challenge based progression and I guess I’m finding myself somewhat indifferent? I think you should get something for every heist (“xp” wise) and it stinks that you don’t. It’s also weird that if you were a very sneak heavy crew you’d never get enough kills to get silencers, lol. At the same time, at least early on in the progression, I’m getting a whole bunch of challenges every single match.

My opinion could definitely sour if it gets super annoying toward the mid/end of levels.

Games fun when it works, overall. It’s what I wanted out of a Payday 3, more or less.

GunXP (GunP?) is different from infamy levels (account XP). You get gunp for your equipped weapons upon successful completion of the heist. You can get InfamyXP from doing cheevos with said guns. So you can have high level weapons and skills unlocked from running a stealth heist over and over, but you won't progress on the Account XP very fast, because you aren't clicking enough cops.

There are some stealth cheevos, like marking guards and cameras, as well as using deployables.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Be thankful if it's just matchmaking errors; my friend and I were just stealthing the bigger bank, only had two more bags to throw in the van...and got booted out by a Nebula disconnect. Really testing my rule about gettin' mad at video games

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Here's a dumb thing: If you buy assets from the store, like ziplines, and you select them on the lobby screen but then back out before the game starts, you lose the assets.

They're only 10k each but still annoying you gotta buy them ahead of time manually

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Here's a dumb thing: If you buy assets from the store, like ziplines, and you select them on the lobby screen but then back out before the game starts, you lose the assets.

They're only 10k each but still annoying you gotta buy them ahead of time manually

What do I need to be able to buy ziplines? I did a very clean heist with a group that had the ziplines and it was incredibly helpful to have.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

What do I need to be able to buy ziplines? I did a very clean heist with a group that had the ziplines and it was incredibly helpful to have.

Zip lines and the supply kits are all at the bottom of the weapons store interface, for ten thousand a pop. You can just buy ten of them at a time since they're so cheap.

As for the map specific ones, no one knows how you get more of those.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Felt bad I didn't get the game day 1 to play for my Bday but now feeling like I dodged a bullet.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Game seems pretty soulless after four heists. There’s just no illusory magic to any of it, no heart at all. What little personality it has is mean spirited and dumb. Uninstalled!!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i get a few in and then matchmaking error that persists for like a few hours and then i can play a few more.

its shallow af compared to 10 years of Payday 2, I like some of the changes. but yes it does feel a bit. ehhhh. lacking.

e:
eh on a hunch i tried vpning to a few locales with cloud data centers to see if matchmaking improved.

it did not. :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are the ink stained bags worth anything?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Apparently crime.net and hosting your own game IS in PAYDAY3, just bugged out of access because lol deep silver, the same entity that brought the world ride to hell retribution????????

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age

I gave up after spending an hour in queues of the 124 minutes I played the game on launch. It's on game pass but I really liked PD2 so I thought it would be worth getting the silver edition.

Today I went for a refund as I pre-ordered on Steam and in the refund policies if you play longer than 120 minutes you don't get a refund.

It processed 7 minutes after the request. So Steam is basically just auto-approving refunds.

But this just makes me sad. You had a great system that just worked and now it's just... not worth playing for free.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
got a few games in and it poo poo the bed again.

holy crap this launch is choppy af and if there really was an option to just do poo poo like the old way man.

such a fuckup.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Game good, unlocked the AK-47 and it's a valid replacement for the DMR. Also ran the nightclub a few times solo with some of the crazy rush and hacking stealth perks and its actually pretty simple once you are able to just walk through locked and guarded doors. Hardest part is getting the bag out the door.

I do appreciate how a good number of maps have the same general path for missions whether you are loud or silent, so it you mess up halfway through a stealth run it isn't just all a waste. The last level is most like this, you can save a lot of time by just grabbing the apartment owner instead of loving around with poison.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone figure out how skill points are earned yet?

E: went forum level 14 to 17 and got another point.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

First night playing with the friends and we got disconnected from the servers as we were moving bags to the truck, matchmaking errors across the board. loving sucks, man. Super deflating when your last impression of a game for the night is that.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!
On the days before launch, I was able to get games fine, with the main impressions I had being "I understand they didn't want people to solo Bulldozers, but requiring what feels like a full ammo bag to down one seems a bit much" and "having to use guns that seem bad just to level them up in the hopes that I get a mod that makes it not bad seems like it might prove a dire grind." Then on launch day, I got to the Rock the Cradle nightclub mission, which is basically a "we know we say stealth is optional but if you blow stealth then you won't get the money so do this mission in stealth" heist. The pubs insist "JUST STAY THERE AND I'LL DO IT" so I reluctantly comply...and then they botch whatever it is they're doing ("the card programmer isn't spawned in the same place!") and vote restart.

The heist restarts and...I can't ready up. I'm stuck in a spectator mode and have to watch them try again...and fail again. You can't exit or bring up a menu. Only way out is to kill the game process. I then decide "I guess I should try doing this map solo to learn it" and of course the lobby doesn't start even if you select invite/friends only because of the server issues. Well, today I finally was able to start a solo lobby and try this mission out, which makes me realize that stealth in this game really is designed for multiple people to go to objectives and well, stand by there and wait/don't get caught because otherwise you have to backtrack through the level a fair bit. After several retries, eventually I steal the main objective item and get set to escape...and then I get disconnected from the server due to a "matchmaking error." The hell? I'm the only person here!

I think for now I will just continue grinding for plasteel in Darktide (drat, I really played that game for 512 hours) or doing Quick Play in Overwatch 2 (with voice and text chat disabled). On launch day there were 80,000 people trying to play on Steam alone, and today it's down to about 38K (but still 71K peak) yet the servers still can't handle it.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
drat, dude. Payday 3, DarkTide, Overwatch 2. Your choice in games are widely disliked by the wider community lol.. Hard run lately!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To be fair Darktide is a truly excellent game that just has a lack of content/bad progression/a slightly botched launch. A lot of the same problems Payday 3 has but with the best-in-class FPS gameplay to back it up :v:

I'm still having fun with PD3 though. I haven't had any issues with matchmaking for the last 2 days and when your team gels it's a lot of fun. Had a team for the big bank earlier that pulled off some perfect 4-man Henry Ford assembly line bag tossing bullshit with no communication and it was great. I probably would have refunded if I bought it because of the server issues but it's been a fun gamepass game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I probably would have refunded if I bought it because of the server issues but it's been a fun gamepass game.

This is where I'm at with it too. I'm glad I was able to play it on gamepass now with friends and get my fill without any of us having to buy in or convince my friends to (because they definitely wouldn't have bothered after the hosed up launch). The nebula thing means that hopefully some day this'll be better and I won't have to start over if I decided to buy it on steam.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The skill that gives you rush for picking a lock and the one that picks a lock instantly when you have rush are amazing together.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PSA but the XP gain you get from weapons is the same whether you use them or not, so don't feel like you have to run around with your pistol constantly to level it up.

The ammo economy is harsher now and it feels like you really need to lean into your side weapon more than in 2, although there it was definitely necessary as well. I'm starting to see a mild advantage for the AK-47 over the DMR on this front because the AK gives you several rounds on ammo pickup while the DMR gives one. That means at best you break neutral with the DMR while the AK gets slightly ahead, although that relies on you getting fairly short ranged consistent headshots. The damage falloff is sharp so being within a few meters of an enemy is pretty important unless you have a distance-focused rifle.

In many ways I find doing loud on hard with bots easier than with pubbies because they always follow me and also don't use ammo pickups so I am always stocked.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

The ammo economy is harsher now and it feels like you really need to lean into your side weapon more than in 2, although there it was definitely necessary as well.

I feel like in the beginning PD2 also had a much harsher ammo economy but that changed a bit over the years

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

tried PD3 out a bit on playstation. seems... fine? like an okay platform for doing bigger, better, and more sensible things over the next year or two?

zero aim assist on a controller kind of sucks.

the skills system seems sort of inscrutable, but i have numbers going up, so whatever. i'll make sense of it eventually.

i had zero connection issues through five matches.

i do wish matchmaking options were more plentiful. kind of frustrating to have half of your team bail because of a tripped alarm on the first heist at normal difficulty or whatever--i'd like to be able to filter out S-level stealth run folks for times when i'm not feeling sweaty.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Does the cross platform support ps5?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

Does the cross platform support ps5?

Worked fine for me, AFAIK.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

So I hadn't really kept up with PD3 for a while and one of my crew the other day was all "hey, it looks like PD3 is out, you guys interested?" Our responses were either "yes", or "yes, but I'm broke". So he bought it for all of us and I've been dorking around solo to get a feel for it. Overall, I like it, but there's definitely room for improvement. Especially the UI. If you're doing Payday 1 challenges for XP, at least carry over the same way to check on the closest ones during a heist.

I am finding it hilariously Overkill to have the menus be so obviously designed for controller touchers, but then they don't get aim assist.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I went into the first bank heist solo to try and get a hang of the stealth mechanics and the ability to ziptie as many civs as you want is pretty great. You can make entire areas of a map pretty safe through a combination of quick ziptieing and a silenced pistol to take out cameras. This is probably less possible as you go up in difficulty but i really like the hybrid lethal/non-lethal style that this game lets you do, especially in a coordinated group where only one of you has to mask up and everyone else can do recon without the risk of immediately setting everything off.

I had the bags on the roof with the zipline to make my way to the exit without tripping any alarms and I accidentally got on the zipline, hit F quickly to jump off because I didn't mean to get on but I had already moved forward and was just over the edge of the building. I fell to the ground directly in front of a guard standing outside smoking and was downed, and the bots were nowhere to be seen so the alarms tripped and I alt-f4'd :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ZeusCannon posted:

I feel like in the beginning PD2 also had a much harsher ammo economy but that changed a bit over the years

It did. Early PD2 strategy at the high levels was heavily constrained by ammo economics. The deployables strategy was frequently 3 people with ammo bags 1 with doctor bags, since for e.g. full cook on Rats running out of ammo was a more realistic lose condition than running out of downs. There was even at points a strategy of intentionally going into custody to get ammo back.

2 ammo 2 doctors was kind of a flesh tanking strategy, 1 ammo 3 doctors felt kind of like solving the problem you don't actually have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the turning point in the ammo economy really came when they had the weapons that only could be replenished by the ammo bag (like the RPG) and if you had one of those, you got double pickups on your other weapon. this enabled all sorts of fun stuff like the torgue build, but also made it clear how much better the game played when you had a reliable standoff weapon.

they eventually nerfed the double pickups, but the die was cast and in general you were able to get more ammo thereafter.

if pd3 is less copflood.avi i can see how having constrained ammo might work better again, i haven't actually played the game yet.