Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Feels like it would make sense for focus spells to add your spell casting modifier to damage. They're your class' iconic spells and it would make sense that they scale with how good in your class you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Feels like it would make sense for focus spells to add your spell casting modifier to damage. They're your class' iconic spells and it would make sense that they scale with how good in your class you are.

I can agree with that.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Once per combat she can do a 1d8 spell. :toot:

As a Single Action. If you can't find value in a single action attack spell on a spellcaster then no changes to Focus spells are going to help.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wizard is the default magic user. Most other casters are "what if wizard but [twist]?" Of course it's the most boring. Wizard's defining feature is that he has a book. And he could lose the book, which would be pretty inconvenient. Pay extra for a special book or bag so your book isn't ruined if you fall in the water.

And fighter is the default weapon user. Most other martials are “what if fighter but [twist]?”

But you’ll notice, in PF2E, people love the fighter.

There’s room for the Wizard to be the same, especially now that the straitjacket that was it’s subclass selection paradigm is being removed.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Facebook Aunt posted:

Looks like the only reason to ever use that focus spell is that it takes just 1 action instead of 2, so it is useful if you have a spare action lying around.

as above single action spells are extremely valuable, because you don't always need to move, you frequently need to toss out more damage, and the vast majority of spells are two actions only

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

An upcoming quest I'm running for my party involves a city where a number of the positions of political power have been infiltrated by doppelgangers. One of the sidequests along the way will involve gathering materials to make some kind of doppelganger detection device. Think "They Live" sunglasses or something in that ballpark.

Is there an existing item that would allow them to see transformed creatures, or should I homebrew one? I'm aware that True Seeing lets a magic user see things within a 60 feet radius as they are, but I think goggled with a permanent True Seeing effect might be overpowered for a moderately low level party unless I severely nerf it with uses per day and duration.

Would appreciate people's thoughts.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lamuella posted:

An upcoming quest I'm running for my party involves a city where a number of the positions of political power have been infiltrated by doppelgangers. One of the sidequests along the way will involve gathering materials to make some kind of doppelganger detection device. Think "They Live" sunglasses or something in that ballpark.

Is there an existing item that would allow them to see transformed creatures, or should I homebrew one? I'm aware that True Seeing lets a magic user see things within a 60 feet radius as they are, but I think goggled with a permanent True Seeing effect might be overpowered for a moderately low level party unless I severely nerf it with uses per day and duration.

Just don't make it full True-seeing and make it specific to doppelgangers.

Like have them find some Broken/completely disenchanted goggles of trueseeing, and then bullshit a quest and some mats(you need the blood or DNA of a Doppleganger or someshit) where they can be crafted/enchanted to work again in a weakened state for just dopplegangers.

Maybe down the line once they are higher level you can give them a quest to upgrade them further.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

And fighter is the default weapon user. Most other martials are “what if fighter but [twist]?”

But you’ll notice, in PF2E, people love the fighter.

There’s room for the Wizard to be the same, especially now that the straitjacket that was it’s subclass selection paradigm is being removed.

I actually think fighter and wizard (or "magic-user" in OD&D) are boring, uninspired classes that should be more like "base classes" that your character grows out of and into a more interesting specialty class, than actual, full classes. I recognize that that style of character development wouldn't work in the D&D-style character development paradigm, but that's really the only way I feel like fighters and wizards have a purpose.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lamuella posted:

This is basically a macguffin that allows your players to interact with the plot, so I would 100% just homebrew up some They Live sunglasses and not count it against the wealth by level budget or whatever.

Throw in an item bonus to perception if you’re feeling generous.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dexo posted:

Just don't make it full True-seeing and make it specific to doppelgangers.

Like have them find some Broken/completely disenchanted goggles of trueseeing, and then bullshit a quest and some mats(you need the blood or DNA of a Doppleganger or someshit) where they can be crafted/enchanted to work again in a weakened state for just dopplegangers.

Maybe down the line once they are higher level you can give them a quest to upgrade them further.

This works, and the "blood of a doppelganger" aspect will make a good part of the sidequest to build them. Thanks.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wizard is the default magic user. Most other casters are "what if wizard but [twist]?" Of course it's the most boring. Wizard's defining feature is that he has a book. And he could lose the book, which would be pretty inconvenient. Pay extra for a special book or bag so your book isn't ruined if you fall in the water.

What would be a good focus spell?

create pit would be a great focus spell

power word: dysentery would be a fun focus spell

a focus spell to detect magic in a pinpointed and targeted fashion would be great

a focus spell that is an upgraded prestidigitation would be cool as hell

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, because I was curious, I can't seem to find any magic items that are just True Seeing on a stick. The closest I could find on a quick search were Clarity Goggles, which have basically the same use case but can't be used against transmutation effects. But there's three tiers, so you can use them as a base for what you'd want your True Seeing goggles to upgrade into later if you take Dexo's advice.

(Which I recommend, upgrading old magic items is always cool.)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Also, because I was curious, I can't seem to find any magic items that are just True Seeing on a stick. The closest I could find on a quick search were Clarity Goggles, which have basically the same use case but can't be used against transmutation effects. But there's three tiers, so you can use them as a base for what you'd want your True Seeing goggles to upgrade into later if you take Dexo's advice.

(Which I recommend, upgrading old magic items is always cool.)

I was thinking something similar but with clockwork goggles. Just standard or greater goggles with special lenses added, and have the special lenses break once the doppelganger problem was taken care of. There's text in the Clockwork Goggles fluff could make this more plausible.

That lets them mod the goggles for other stuff later.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Clockwork Goggles are just priced as a one-off consumable, so basing it on Clarity Goggles is easier to fit into your expected wealth-by-level if it's a permanent thing.

EDIT: Of course, if you're that much of a stickler for wealth-by-level, you can just price each use of anti-doppleganger True Seeing in this adventure as basically one set of clockwork goggles. 15 gold for five uses of See Doppleganger seems like an easy thing to fit into your rewards.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 23, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Good point.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Dick Burglar posted:

I actually think fighter and wizard (or "magic-user" in OD&D) are boring, uninspired classes that should be more like "base classes" that your character grows out of and into a more interesting specialty class, than actual, full classes. I recognize that that style of character development wouldn't work in the D&D-style character development paradigm, but that's really the only way I feel like fighters and wizards have a purpose.

It feels almost like a symptom of base class drift. You had No Magic Man, Magic Man, and God Magic Man as your original three classes, and those really kinda covered all the bases you could possibly think of. Starting with the Rogue, what a base class meant started to get more specific and narrow in fantasy, and that means the original three catch-alls start to feel increasingly weird and nebulous. Cleric at least has the unique identity of being the only direct conduit to a god, and that's mostly because the other god focused classes either stopped being about gods or stopped existing in recent materials. But the fact that Fighters coexist with more specific fantasies like Barbarians and Rangers has always been so weird.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Wizard's design and concept space in D&D and it's knock offs are "What if a magic man but he had All The Spells but Had To Read sometimes." And that..sucks rear end and is so broad it might as well be nothing. It's why the whole concept of Schools of magic were a thing, to try and give them any focus at all and even that failed. Just cut them and make a few classes that cover the concepts that already existing Magic Guys don't cover.

Fighter long had the same issue but later PF1E and now 2E have settled on this absolute expert at warfare, a versatile master of martial skill and flexibility to be a one woman army, which is a concept that isn't already filled in by other martials who are all thematically hyper focused on other things so Being Fantasy John Wick is a place fighter can play. Most of the other casters already have some flexibility built into them with spell choice already and usually the more focused ones are better at the whole concept of "Master of X Magic" that wizard doesn't really have the same free space to try and expand in.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Facebook Aunt posted:

What would be a good focus spell?

My group has a fire elemental sorcerer and her focus spell seems dumb as hell.

Once per combat she can do a 1d8 spell. :toot:

Meanwhile the Ignition cantrip exists

Looks like the only reason to ever use that focus spell is that it takes just 1 action instead of 2, so it is useful if you have a spare action lying around.

I only bring this up because I have a player that thought you could only cast a single spell per round (is that a thing in 5e?), but a single action spell in pf2e can be used on the same turn as another spell. If you cast a spell that requires a saving throw and then another spell that requires an attack roll, the attack roll also doesn't have MAP.

That focus spell is a pretty significant increase in damage if you use it correctly.

People complain about blasters in pf2e. That focus spell lets you be a great blaster, especially once you can use it multiple times per encounter.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 23, 2023

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

KPC_Mammon posted:

I only bring this up because I have a player that thought you could only cast a single spell per round (is that a thing in 5e?),

Yeah, you can cast one spell that has a level and one cantrip on your turn. This would usually come down to a levelled spell that's a bonus action and a cantrip that's an action. I'm leaving aside anything about metamagic as that just complicates things.

(I'm specifying on your turn rather than per round because you can also cast a spell that uses your reaction outside of your turn)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You can just give them all alchemical goggles of Doppleganger Seeing, I really don't see it causing any other problems unless Doppleganger infestations are a big part of your campaign world in which case the alchemical regent that powers them gradually wears out. Props if you go full They Live and the players find them in a hidden compartment in an alchemist's laboratory that was raided by the guards, along with a journal that explains the problem as well as ending with the iconic line.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Lamuella posted:

Yeah, you can cast one spell that has a level and one cantrip on your turn. This would usually come down to a levelled spell that's a bonus action and a cantrip that's an action. I'm leaving aside anything about metamagic as that just complicates things.

(I'm specifying on your turn rather than per round because you can also cast a spell that uses your reaction outside of your turn)

It's actually way more finicky than that. You can in fact, cast two levelled spells on your turn if have Action Surge from fighter. The spells in one turn rule is SPECIFICALLY about bonus actions:

quote:

A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

This also means you can't cast a leveled spell as your action and a cantrip as your bonus action, but vice versa is fine.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

The Bee posted:

It feels almost like a symptom of base class drift. You had No Magic Man, Magic Man, and God Magic Man as your original three classes, and those really kinda covered all the bases you could possibly think of. Starting with the Rogue, what a base class meant started to get more specific and narrow in fantasy, and that means the original three catch-alls start to feel increasingly weird and nebulous. Cleric at least has the unique identity of being the only direct conduit to a god, and that's mostly because the other god focused classes either stopped being about gods or stopped existing in recent materials. But the fact that Fighters coexist with more specific fantasies like Barbarians and Rangers has always been so weird.

Cleric was not one of the first three classes. Cleric was, like, eighth or something. Possibly even later than that. Cleric, for reference, came after vampire. Yeah, that was a class for a bit.

But yes, your general point still stands.

(D&D clerics also suffer from being over-broad, especially with their five million domains that let them pretend they're druids and paladins, among other things.)

Edit: honestly, a lot of D&D classes butt up against each others' niches or straight up overlap far more than they should. I like "nature-lover" and "bow-user" concepts, but rangers have struggled to find a proper niche since their creation. Which sucks, because a bow-user with nature magic is absolutely my jam, but they almost always end up being half-baked rear end. PF2E's ranger seems... better? But I'm still not entirely convinced they justify their existence as an entirely separate class.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2023

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Wasn't the original three Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric, with Thief coming out next and Paladin as some sorta superclass?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
we should have brought back vampire as a class

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Anyone got any details on OD&D having Vampire as a class as I’m fascinated.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

The Bee posted:

Wasn't the original three Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric, with Thief coming out next and Paladin as some sorta superclass?

Ah, it looks like cleric was one of the original classes by the time the original boxed set came around.

HidaO-Win posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The vampire was one of the earliest creatures introduced in the Dungeons & Dragons game. The vampire as a player character concept was present in Dave Arneson's playtest group for the original version of the rules. It led to the creation of a vampire-hunter, which became the basis of the cleric class.

As for stats and design, I don't know where to find that.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Impermanent posted:

we should have brought back vampire as a class

It's an archetype though

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

HidaO-Win posted:

Here's some info about Sir Fang and the cleric class that resulted from him

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to play a kineticist and I have a question with vitality. Would an elemental blast with vitality only deal damage to undead?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm looking to play a kineticist and I have a question with vitality. Would an elemental blast with vitality only deal damage to undead?

Yes, it's pretty much just renamed Positive damage

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
What an amazing bag fumble to get to the concept of "vampire hunter" and end up with "boring priest in plate that casts healing spells"

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think someone was playing a Balrog newsreporter back then as well. Not sure if the original Monk was from back then as well or a little later.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
https://youtu.be/ru-gePN9_AU?si=UDRJkjwlM6dDWxOR

Kingmaker is here. And boy is it beefy.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jarvisi posted:

That looks amazing, and sadly I think it would take my group about 10 years to complete at our current pace :cry:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Enos Cabell posted:

That looks amazing, and sadly I think it would take my group about 10 years to complete at our current pace :cry:

The urge is extremely strong. But I'll be patient and wait for one of my current games to end

100 bucks now. 120 if you wait a month hah!

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Thats a pretty big cost, probably gonna have to split that one up between the group when we go back to kingmaker. If it's the quality of the Abomination Vaults module I'm using than it's worth it IMO. If you already have the pdf than its $70 but I don't think there's a discount if you own a physical copy of the kingmaker AP.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

gurragadon posted:

Thats a pretty big cost, probably gonna have to split that one up between the group when we go back to kingmaker. If it's the quality of the Abomination Vaults module I'm using than it's worth it IMO. If you already have the pdf than its $70 but I don't think there's a discount if you own a physical copy of the kingmaker AP.

It was $50 with early adoption, pretty good deal if you have the pdf.

About 1 gig in size for anyone curious about size.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jarvisi posted:

Is this the original or remaster rules? Will they update to the remaster rules when it comes out?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this the original or remaster rules? Will they update to the remaster rules when it comes out?

It's the original. It's only part 1 but they're working on part 2 now. It's just a very big campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone have familiarity with the snare rules? https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=743

Are there rules about how a snare is deployed? Are there certain snares or feats that allow a character to deploy a snare within a single turn? Sort of seeing if I could create a gimmick around that...