Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for recommending No One Will Save You. I enjoyed it immensely. There was some very scary imagery and good tension. And as someone else mentioned, the lack of dialogue was so well done that it was hardly noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CelticPredator posted:

Alien movies can be watched in September

Alien movies are horror adjacent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

True but like aliens they come at all times and you can watch the alien movies whenever

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

That's funny because we literally have a challenge this year called Horror Adjacent.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

magiccarpet posted:

I like how the No One turns into Home Alone halfway through for a few minutes.

Good rainy weekend movie.

I was watching John Wick 4 this week and I was super pumped when it literally turned into the Warriors halfway through

Movies within movies are fun

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Hollismason posted:

I think aliens on earth are definitely horror, aliens in space are like 50/50 horror/scifi

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadite posted:

I think aliens on earth are definitely horror, aliens in space are like 50/50 horror/scifi

Alien invasions are not specifically horror like I would not call Independence Day horror but I'd call War of the Worlds (Spielberg) horror.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d call Independence Day horror…

Horrible 😈😈😈😈

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Horrible 😈😈😈😈

LMAO your post reminded me that Resurgence existed

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Now I just wanna rewatch Mars Attacks!

I imagine it's aged like milk, but I remember loving that movie as a kid.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

:wal: :stat: posted:

Horrible 😈😈😈😈

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

ShowTime posted:

I think that's what made (ending spoilers) them realize that killing her probably isn't an option. I have to imagine, with the way that town was taken over, that the lady that kills not only a small alien, a medium alien and a large alien, but another "taken over" alien (the mailman) the "spore" inside her that was meant to control her, but then herself (the clone they made) and then in the past, a loving kid. Not only a kid, but her best friend (if you remember the long look at the picture frame with the both of them. I'd assume an vastly more intelligent species would recall that.). This is not someone we wanna gently caress around with. Why they can't just kill her, I don't know. But she likely looks like the champion of the human race to them at this point.

In a way, them deciding not to kill her, but control her and learn from her, is probably part of their plan for the rest of the human race. No one will save you. Not even this badass girl or people like her.

Pretty good movie and unique in that kind of horror space. It wasn't amazing, but made some smart decisions.

If we go by the director/writer saying he thought of the aliens as religious missionaries then It makes the whole parasite scene make a whole lot of sense. They're just coming to bring Good Vibes to town. The thing with Brynn is that not only she has proven to be deadly, but as far as we know shes the only person in the town to outright reject the parasite. After they see her hosed up childhood and the fact that the entire town hates her I would guess they just have a realization of "We don't need to trick her into being happy, if we just let her chill in town where everyone is Happy All The Time then she'll chill out. And she did! problem solved lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Now I just wanna rewatch Mars Attacks!

I imagine it's aged like milk, but I remember loving that movie as a kid.
Oh it's a banger. Watched it countless times as a kid. Still in my top 3 favorite Burton films.
Little people... why can't we all just... get along?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah Mars Attacks is great, there's so many cameos and gags and colorful skeletons

"I want the people to know that they still have two out of three branches of the government working for them, and that ain’t bad" is an all-timer Nicholson line

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 24, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I chose Mars Attacks! as a weekend rental when I was on a family vacation with my very conservative uncle's family and grandparents

They did not love it as much as I did

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

alf_pogs posted:

yeah Mars Attacks is great, there's so many cameos and gags and colorful skeletons

Byron loving Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuwIR-WAvF0

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I don’t know if this is a hot take for this thread but my wife and I just watched Talk to Me after hearing great things and…we kind of hated it? The central concept with the hand was interesting but I felt like it never came close to reaching the extra gear that the concept was capable of hitting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Professor Funk posted:

I don’t know if this is a hot take for this thread but my wife and I just watched Talk to Me after hearing great things and…we kind of hated it? The central concept with the hand was interesting but I felt like it never came close to reaching the extra gear that the concept was capable of hitting.

Like, a foot?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I’m at a horror market and horror fans might be the last buyers of VHS tapes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh it's a banger. Watched it countless times as a kid. Still in my top 3 favorite Burton films.
Little people... why can't we all just... get along?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

i would agree it's still great to this very day.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Deadite posted:

I’m at a horror market and horror fans might be the last buyers of VHS tapes

Not surprising. For how much got released on VHS that didn't even get a barebones DVD release because of the tangle of licensing with studios, we're going to go to whatever medium's got what we want.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I feel like the majority of movies have been rereleased on DVD by this point. I'd be surprised if you can't find a film simply because it was on VHS and never got a transfer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There’s a lot of lost media. Like a lot. As far as I know incident on lake county has no physical release

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

As an anthology horror boy, I think Grim Prairie Tales never got a DVD or Blu-Ray. I believe there are a couple bootleg DVD releases from a VHS transfer, but that's about it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

I feel like the majority of movies have been rereleased on DVD by this point. I'd be surprised if you can't find a film simply because it was on VHS and never got a transfer.

When VHS came around, the concept of something like DVD/Blu Ray wasn't even imagined, so much like early TV no one cared about the masters once the VHS came out. So, for some low budget horror that the original studio isn't around anymore, and whoever has the distribution rights at this point likely can't be assed to dig it up out of the catalog for what they consider a niche interest not worth the cost of putting out something DVD/Blu Ray.

We can still hope though. Get Crazy was considered to never get a DVD release because they lost the sound elements sometime after the VHS release and it was only fairly recently Kino Lorber found it and it's finally gotten a DVD/Blu Ray release.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
No One Will Save You - if I could taste this movie, it would be whiskey-infused marmalade, that's how much of my jam it is. At one point I was like "Does this woman have Van Helsing blood like Guillermo in WWDITS but for aliens? Her last name's not Ripley, right? Because she is so goddamn good at killing aliens."

Brain Damage - got way wilder than I was expecting. "Elmer's Tune" had some clever little lyrics for a song about a dildo-shaped hallucinogenic parasite!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CelticPredator posted:

There’s a lot of lost media. Like a lot. As far as I know incident on lake county has no physical release

Being that guy with the semantics but "lost media" means no copies of it can be found. Incident in Lake County never had a physical release but copies can be found and I'll leave it at that.

Edit: Joining the Mars Attacks discussion but it always amazes me the ensemble cast they assembled. I mean, you see it every now and again in Hollywood but for a cheesy alien invasion B-movie based on trading cards from the 50s? drat. A lot of favors must have been called-in.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 24, 2023

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did Jodorowsky's movies ever get a legit release on Blu Ray/DVD?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TOOT BOOT posted:

On DVD for sure, and in the mid 00s there was a DVD box set with Fando Y Lis, El Topo, etc.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

watched let the right one in and st maud for the first time. i will be spoiling both in this post and spoiler tags aren’t working for me. I liked the first hour of both a lot. st maud spoilers—completely predictable. no idea why people online are saying it was “ambiguous.” we are never given any reason to believe maud is anything other than nuts. the sick lady saying she feels it too is the closest thing but the bare surface level of that scene is the sick lady putting her on and they drive it home soon after during the party scene when she mocks the pulsing.

there was some movie where the lady’s husband gets injured and she starts loving other guys and it gets out of hand. that was a better crazy Christian lady movie because it was bugfuck nuts and the ending was actually ambiguous. i liked a lot of what maud did but the ending felt unearned. also echoes how I feel about let the right one in. being disappointed in horror endings is an inevitability I guess. i liked a lot of what both films did visually. when mauds face stretches early you think you’re about to watch a much better film

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hollismason posted:

September is October adjacent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TOOT BOOT posted:

Arrow released most if not all of them on Blu a few years ago.

E:

Hollismason posted:

If you mean little green men, invaders from outer space movies then sure, but if you're dissing Ridley Scott's Alien here then we're going to have words.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/_shunks_/status/1493369620627087364?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO your post reminded me that Resurgence existed

And your post reminded me. We actually gave it about twenty minutes a few years ago and I was so loving bored I could’ve cried.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My dad and I went opening day as the original was kind of a big deal for us back then, and the whole drive up we listened to the Patrice O’Neil id4 thing and laughed way too hard at the hosed jokes

Then we had giant margs and got plastered before the movie and the moment my David! Was yelled we lost it.

Great moment. Movie was a blur I don’t remember poo poo lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I liked No One Will Save You quite a bit. Kaitlyn Dever was a powerhouse kid actress in Justified so it's good to see her get roles like this.

Really loved the choice of minimal dialogue. They just as easily could have turned it into an action flick with one liners.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
is hausu (Japan, 1977) good? it's playing at my local theater.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It's one of my favorite movies, though it's more of a rabid fast-paced art film than anything, using every technique under the sun to assault the senses. I believe the story is that lot of the horror imagery and story came from the director asking his 14-year-old daughter what she feared and what her nightmares were and then built the movie around that. I bet it whips rear end in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Lazy_Liberal posted:

It’s 100% worth seeing on a big screen, dooooo ittttttt.