Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the problem with this awful, awful spider-man arc is that i want him to kill paul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nm

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Since we're kinda on the topic, have Cap and Magneto ever crossed paths much? If nothing else, you'd think the two of them would have a lot of common ground W.R.T killing OG-flavor Nazi's and such.

Not sure about Cap, but Magneto did run into Red Skull during the Acts of Vengeance crossover, which eventually lead to this great page.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

La Louve Rouge posted:

the problem with this awful, awful spider-man arc is that i want him to kill paul

Paul is still around? That plotline is still ongoing?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Kinda.

They're at least doing something different, I've enjoyed tormented Norman and some other things in this run. The whole sin is weird. I have a bad feeling they're going to transfer it to Ben to make him super even more evil than just an rear end in a top hat next.

Also wolverine vs predator was fun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Azubah posted:

Kinda.

They're at least doing something different, I've enjoyed tormented Norman and some other things in this run. The whole sin is weird. I have a bad feeling they're going to transfer it to Ben to make him super even more evil than just an rear end in a top hat next.

Ben is currently involved in Dark X-men

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

La Louve Rouge posted:

:hmmyes:

Azubah posted:

Kinda.

Nah, it's almost certainly going back to Norman and then Peter is going to be all emo that Norman who was like a second father to him, don't you know (even though as recently as the Spencer run Peter pointed out that Goblin aside, Norman was just his best friend's dad and there wasn't any actual relationship between them at all).

Also Lowe apparently compared this whole arc with Paul to Doctor loving Zhivago in the letters page. Which is a...bold...comparison to invite.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Disco Pope posted:

No idea what G.O.D.S. is, but based off this I'd assume some sort of tie-in to a video game I wouldn't play.

Marvel and Hickman have been hyping it up as Marvel's SANDMAN

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We know Sandman he's not gonna carry a book

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

90sgamer posted:

Marvel and Hickman have been hyping it up as Marvel's SANDMAN

I don’t think people are going to be getting tattoos of Wyn

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think people are going to be getting tattoos of Wyn

I always remember somebody at Marvel calling Sleepwalker "Sandman done right" and Gaiman allegedly saying "Well I'm glad I did it wrong."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like this whole thing with Norman getting his evil extracted and then passed around is an overbooked way of trying to pull the character back from "There is no legit reason not to kill this guy" Joker territory to "There's something that could be feasibly saved here" so Peter doesn't look like a total goober for not killing the Goblin

Granted, this does little to resolve the somewhat excessive ways that Peter looks like a goober in other facets, plus I don't know if "magically pulling the evil out of someone" is supposed to be a compelling indicator of their potential for redemption. You could do that to like, the Red Skull, and he'd probably go back to being a mild-mannered bellhop

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
well redemption was never really a choice for Norman before because he was hopped up on goblin juice that made him a psychopath

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

didnt he sell his soul or something?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Synthbuttrange posted:

didnt he sell his soul or something?

Close! He sold Harry’s soul

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean Peter also made a deal with the devil so really, why even keep track.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
The need to keep Peter perpetually at like age 27 or whatever is definitely a barrier to letting him grow in any sense-making way; it's like there's no graceful way for them to develop him because they have to keep him within certain parameters for the brand, and being to one degree or another a goober is a load-bearing component of that.

It's a bit weird that ASM doesn't even acknowledge the orchis stuff, though. One panel in Uncanny Kurt isn't really enough. Like it doesn't need to be an X book, but it feels like Peter would at least acknowledge the Iron Man shaped sentinels stomping around hassling people.

Also, is his primary reason for not liking Paul just that Paul is with MJ? Or did Paul at some point do something bad?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Paul helped kill every human in his original dimension by taking part in some dumb ritual with his father iirc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
but mostly the other thing yeah

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
On one level it's him being mad that Paul and Mary Jane are together, and that being amplified by Norman Osborn's "sins" being injected into Spider-Man.

But also Paul is the son of "The Emissary", the dimension-hopping scientist trying to unleash the evil god Wayep onto Earth, who branded first Peter and then Mary Jane with some sort of MacGuffin that made their deaths the key to bringing Wayep to 616 to kill all of humanity. And he is (apparently) in opposition to his dad, but also forgot to mention he was the Emissary's son for a long time and only admitted it after being cornered by various lies being exposed.

He also used the same magic/science powers as the Emissary to rig up Mary Jane with superpowers that have a randomized chance of killing her. Plus their 'kids' were created using the same magic/science, allegedly by The Emissary but Paul is also the only other person to harness those specific powers. It's all super circumstantial but he's not just Mary Jane's new boyfriend in terms of "things that would make Peter suspicious"

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Spider-Man has a long history of community service, I think he should be able to do one murder, as a treat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
So are Paul and Mary Jane still together? Is she cool with all that?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, Paul can hold down a job at the end of the day.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Upsidads posted:

We know Sandman he's not gonna carry a book

Hey he was an Avenger once, give him a chance.

Gripweed posted:

Yes, apparently. Paul having helped wipe out his whole dimension which then led to MJ getting kidnapped and marked for death (and lying about it until he couldn’t any more) is apparently just like Peter letting Uncle Ben die and feeling bad about it.

:suicide:

Also given MJ was a spokesperson for Krakoa’s pharmaceutical products you’d think the whole fall of X thing would come up, but I guess that’s being saved for the Jackpot miniseries that’s allegedly happening. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any solicitations for it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've been rewatching it as part of my gym routine, and I find myself consistently dumbfounded by just how much I like that version of MJ in Spectacular Spider-man more than any other version of the character

It's honestly kind of weird. When MJ first shows up for all her apparent dizziness (JUST WANNA DANCE DADDY-O) she has a pretty concrete personality, relative to a lot of love interests in old comics. But I feel like as time went on instead of getting the kind of good depth and dimensionality that some characters accrue with age, she mutated in such a way that you have stuff like the Raimi version being the literal generic girl next door and the Insomniac version being Diet Lois Lane. I can't think of a lot of other characters who go through that level of envaguening, but then again I'm not trying too hard.

I feel like the ability to write a good supporting cast is kinda something that lacks in a lot of the comics I read now. I blame super popular team books and their "why have non-superhero characters?" ethos!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They pretty much killed off party MJ when they brought her back. She was gone from the comics for quite a while and when she returned she was like hey Pete, if you want to know why I was gone get ready for a sad as gently caress life story. It felt like the creators doing equal parts explaining, atoning, and erasing a young woman having fun.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We all remember when Sandman was hit so hard in the rear end by Namore that he exploded and when he came back 3 weeks later he had different clothes

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

On one level it's him being mad that Paul and Mary Jane are together, and that being amplified by Norman Osborn's "sins" being injected into Spider-Man.

But also Paul is the son of "The Emissary", the dimension-hopping scientist trying to unleash the evil god Wayep onto Earth, who branded first Peter and then Mary Jane with some sort of MacGuffin that made their deaths the key to bringing Wayep to 616 to kill all of humanity. And he is (apparently) in opposition to his dad, but also forgot to mention he was the Emissary's son for a long time and only admitted it after being cornered by various lies being exposed.

He also used the same magic/science powers as the Emissary to rig up Mary Jane with superpowers that have a randomized chance of killing her. Plus their 'kids' were created using the same magic/science, allegedly by The Emissary but Paul is also the only other person to harness those specific powers. It's all super circumstantial but he's not just Mary Jane's new boyfriend in terms of "things that would make Peter suspicious"

This kind of poo poo just makes me want to go back to the days of Scorpion stealing bags of money with dollar signs on them.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

:psyduck: Why is Spider-Man like this? None of that is necessarily out of the ordinary with X-Men, but they've been doing weird alternate universe poo poo almost since the beginning. Spider-Man, as far as I know, is about a guy who does whatever a spider can and fights robbers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I didn't like venom much but I know I like him less as like God alien or whatever

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Is the god Wayep related to G.O.D.S.?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

:psyduck: Why is Spider-Man like this? None of that is necessarily out of the ordinary with X-Men, but they've been doing weird alternate universe poo poo almost since the beginning. Spider-Man, as far as I know, is about a guy who does whatever a spider can and fights robbers.
I know that's the vibe but Spider-Man had already dealt with multiple magical beings/dimensions, time traveled to multiple dystopian futures, time traveled to the Salem Witch Trials, gone to the moon and further into space, went to the Savage Land to fight dinosaurs, went to Asgard, dealt with a magical tablet that contained the powers of Life and Death, fought vampires and werewolves and alien invasions, grown extra arms, fought and killed his own clone, met a clone of his dead girlfriend, etc. and all of that was before the first issue of Days of Future Past, the first "weird alternate universe poo poo" story in X-Men in 1981. Both franchises have obviously only gotten more byzantine in the past forty-odd years.

The first "good" Spider-Man run of the 21st century dealt heavily in magical guest appearances from Dr. Strange/Loki/etc. and also the introduction of the magical Spider-Totem concepts. Since then some of the biggest stories (both in comics and in other media) for Spider-Man have been "weird alternate universe poo poo" so the ship has kind of sailed on that.

Esplanade posted:

This kind of poo poo just makes me want to go back to the days of Scorpion stealing bags of money with dollar signs on them.
The Scorpion's origin/first several appearances were all about him being bonded to a cybersuit at the behest of J. Jonah Jameson, who was bankrolling it to expose Spider-Man's secret identity. Scorpion almost immediately "went mad" and decided he was more interested in killing Spider-Man, killing Jameson, and "taking over" New York City than stealing bags with dollar signs on them.

I get that there are degrees of crazy poo poo and darkness and etc. but also sometimes the simple halcyon days of yore just don't exist.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Edge & Christian posted:

The Scorpion's origin/first several appearances were all about him being bonded to a cybersuit at the behest of J. Jonah Jameson, who was bankrolling it to expose Spider-Man's secret identity. Scorpion almost immediately "went mad" and decided he was more interested in killing Spider-Man, killing Jameson, and "taking over" New York City than stealing bags with dollar signs on them.

I get that there are degrees of crazy poo poo and darkness and etc. but also sometimes the simple halcyon days of yore just don't exist.

Shocker, on the other hand, will do this poo poo any day of the week.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I want to agree with the narrative that Spider-Man has always been bonkers; I seem to remember Peter getting the black suit because he was on an alien planet or in another dimension or something and accidentally mixed up the evil symbiote vending machine for the normal costume vending machine? So the crazy paul stuff, the spear that makes you evil etc, I guess it's just Tuesday in NY

One nice byproduct of the current silliness for me is that suit. I'm always glad to see the black suit, no matter how aggressively dumb the circumstances. Nothing tops the FF suit with bag on head Peter, but the black suit is up there.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Danknificent posted:

I want to agree with the narrative that Spider-Man has always been bonkers; I seem to remember Peter getting the black suit because he was on an alien planet or in another dimension or something and accidentally mixed up the evil symbiote vending machine for the normal costume vending machine? So the crazy paul stuff, the spear that makes you evil etc, I guess it's just Tuesday in NY

After he came back from Secret Wars with the symbiote suit he went back to tangling with the likes of the Rose and Puma. Spider-Man has definitely been involved in a lot of weird poo poo but this current run is a year and a half old and by the sound of it is maybe packing a lot of weird poo poo in?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lobok posted:

After he came back from Secret Wars with the symbiote suit he went back to tangling with the likes of the Rose and Puma. Spider-Man has definitely been involved in a lot of weird poo poo but this current run is a year and a half old and by the sound of it is maybe packing a lot of weird poo poo in?

I mean the vast majority of it has been Spider-Man vs Tombstone and other gangsters, it's not like it's non-stop supernatural stuff

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Between the Limbo story involving Ben and Madelyne, the Paul crap, and now Kraven and Kafka somehow being able to implant Norman's sins into Peter, I'd say about a third of Wells run has been weird supernatural poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Blockhouse posted:

I mean the vast majority of it has been Spider-Man vs Tombstone and other gangsters, it's not like it's non-stop supernatural stuff

Yeah there's a difference between a guy who sometimes fights ghost and aliens, and a guy whose main thing for awhile now is dealing with a curse put on his entire family by an extra-dimensional god.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, apparently. Paul having helped wipe out his whole dimension which then led to MJ getting kidnapped and marked for death (and lying about it until he couldn’t any more) is apparently just like Peter letting Uncle Ben die and feeling bad about it.

Adding this to the evidence that Peter, canonically, has trash dick.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Honesty the most fun I've had in recent years was the very start of Brand New Day, because even if the stuff wasn't great, it was all new and all the stakes were much lower and the new cast was, well, at least not dragging out plot points from the 80s. I hear the Boomerang stuff was pretty good in recent years I just didn't get a chance to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rochallor posted:

To be fair like Spider-Man's fourth or so story ever had him thwarting an alien invasion, like Spidey operates best at a couple degrees above street level but he shouldn't be completely separate from the wider weirdness of the Marvel Universe