Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dabir posted:

They grow babies in drawers

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Babies in drawers. Efficient way of storing babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Prehensile borg tentacles are ubiquitous and the S&M subtext isnt even subtext. Its just text.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

redshirt posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that now. Babies in drawers. Efficient way of storing babies.

The baby bureau does save space

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Borg were a lot more interesting before they had a robot milf who is preoccupied with finding a "partner"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

On Voyager that got changed to maturation chambers

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Which is hard to believe, but there it is

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

The baby bureau does save space

You can stack so many babies in these things!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

galagazombie posted:

“Mitochondrial Eve” doesn’t mean she’s the only one who has descendants. It means she’s the earliest person to which everyone is a descendant due to how family trees intermingle. The other survivors still had descendants, there just isn’t one of them that is the ancestor of everyone. Except the Y-Chromosome Adam. But most modern estimates put him a few thousand years apart from mitochondrial Eve.

Yup, this. And, importantly, the name will apply to different people over time as the population changes. For an extreme case, if every human dies except you (and optionally some of your siblings), then your mom just became the new Mitochondrial Eve.

...Hmm, there's a yo mama joke in there somewhere.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I have no doubt there's some fanfic out there of a Borg world that is dedicated to pure reproduction, and finding better ways at it

drat, Riker got got?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Borg Baby Boxes are one of things that got dropped when First Contact retconned the Borg from a civilization that essentially reached singularity and became subsumed by their own technology paperclip machine style, into merely a zombie plague run by Rita Repulsa. There's a distinct difference between TNG Borg, who merely use assimilation as a way to acquire new genetic and scientific information to include in their designer children, and the FC/Voyager/Picard Borg, where Assimilation is a way the Queen to acquire slaves for menial labor whose only worth is as a warm body. Picard S3 even outright said the Borg can't make new Borg, only infect others with the zombie virus. Which is farcical because it implies for millennia the Queen never figured out Tab A is inserted into Slot B or had less advanced cloning than literally every other race in the series. Even the Klingons know how to clone, they just choose not to for honor reasons.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Borg were a lot more scary before their whole collective could be derailed by an easily bamboozled bimbo

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kirk could have defeated the Borg with nothing but a sly smile and a soft focus closeup

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Kirk could have defeated the Borg with nothing but a sly smile and a soft focus closeup

lol. "Oh my"

- Borg Queen

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yeomen Rand in the background giving the queen an icy jealous glare. McCoy is going "that's my boy" as the TOS romance theme plays

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I just gotta say that Paramount Plus is the jankiest piece of poo poo I've ever been forced to watch something on. Everything is always hosed up except the ads they find a way to Kramer into everything despite claims of ad-free. What gives!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me trying to watch Star Trek, but first I have to watch an ad.

The ad: Hey! Have you heard of star Trek!? Here on Paramount plus! Don't you want to watch Star Trek!?

Me: I'm loving trying to

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It stops playing ads on Paramount Plus if you watch more than one episode but the first episode you watch will have a ad. I mean Paramount Plus is my Star Trek streaming service. That's it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I go back and forth on signing up for it.

Anyone got a promo code?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Do the Borg reproduce among themselves? Or is it 100% assimilation?

When that borg nanoprobe interacted with the doctor's mobile emitter and a random crewmember's DNA to grow a baby borg Seven says that the Borg do not procreate they assimilate. "Drone" VOY, Episode 5x02

Apparently Seven was never invited to the borg orgies.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Me trying to watch Star Trek, but first I have to watch an ad.

The ad: Hey! Have you heard of star Trek!? Here on Paramount plus! Don't you want to watch Star Trek!?

Me: I'm loving trying to

mfw Paramount perfectly loads teaser, Paramount logo, and ad for SNW only to have literal 80s style encoding glitches in both audio and visual channels for the show I'm actually trying to watch

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Facebook Aunt posted:

When that borg nanoprobe interacted with the doctor's mobile emitter and a random crewmember's DNA to grow a baby borg Seven says that the Borg do not procreate they assimilate. "Drone" VOY, Episode 5x02

Apparently Seven was never invited to the borg orgies.

Borgies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can see why that subject would be a sore spot for jeri ryan.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Auto Assigned Borgies

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

redshirt posted:

Auto Assigned Borgies

Assigned Borg at Assimilation

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Assigned Borg at Assimilation

I'm doing my part!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On a related note, do Borg drones stop ageing once they're assimilated? (And out of the maturation pods if that's where they came from.) Are they basically immortal?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the borg cant have sex because they immediately glue computer parts to their genitals on assimilation

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

the borg cant have sex because they immediately glue computer parts to their genitals on assimilation

so they post in YOSPOS?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Defeating the Borg queen by making out with her is obviously the most Star Trek thing ever

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tiberius Christ posted:

Defeating the Borg queen by making out with her is obviously the most Star Trek thing ever

Look they were just trying to make it realistic. NASA has studied this problem extensively and this was just followed all their official recommendations when encountering it.

All though there does seem to be a suspiciously large amount of alien related problems that NASA's official recommend solution for solving involves making out with them.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't care what NASA says I'm going to make out with all the aliens.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Borg Baby Boxes are one of things that got dropped when First Contact retconned the Borg from a civilization that essentially reached singularity and became subsumed by their own technology paperclip machine style, into merely a zombie plague run by Rita Repulsa.

I don't know where you got that idea but it wasn't from TNG.

quote:

There's a distinct difference between TNG Borg, who merely use assimilation as a way to acquire new genetic and scientific information to include in their designer children, and the FC/Voyager/Picard Borg, where Assimilation is a way the Queen to acquire slaves for menial labor whose only worth is as a warm body.
This remains a constant throughout Voyager. The Borg consume civilisations to both increase their population and add their genetic and technological features to their existing drones. Voyager hosed up a lot of things about the Borg, like making them willing to blow up their own cubes all over the place, but that wasn't one of them.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Also they clearly mature given that Seven was assimilated when she was a little girl. Borg puberty must be rough. They gotta replace all the cyborg stuff like every couple of months.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Also they clearly mature given that Seven was assimilated when she was a little girl. Borg puberty must be rough. They gotta replace all the cyborg stuff like every couple of months.

"Seven of Nine, teriary adjunct of unimatrix zero one. You were supposed to assimilate these humanoids this morning. Explain why this has not been done."

"We will do it tomorrow."

"Temporal error: you said you were going to do it tomorrow yesterday. And you have not cleaned your alcove even though you promised you would."

"We hate this cube. Why can't you leave us alone. Can we have some money."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, when they're kids they put some basic cyborg stuff on them, hook up their brains, and then shove them in a maturation chamber until they're fully grown. Seven was assimilated when she was six and became a proper drone when she popped out of the chamber fully grown to an adult five years after that. Then she was a drone for 18 years before Voyager rescued her.

Given that she didn't look about 40 when she was rescued, I'm guessing that they hold back the ageing process after they're done maturing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I wonder what happens when the borg upgrade their hardware

like are their a bunch of borg out there stuck with an Iborg 6s in their skull and the rest of the collective are on Iborg 15 and they are going to stop supporting the old OS soon?

Do they have to go on amazon and order a bunch of sketchy off brand lightning link to usb-C adapters to plug their bits in?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

naem posted:

like are their a bunch of borg out there stuck with an Iborg 6s in their skull and the rest of the collective are on Iborg 15 and they are going to stop supporting the old OS soon?

Do they have to go on amazon and order a bunch of sketchy off brand lightning link to usb-C adapters to plug their bits in?

My read was that Borg Drones are physical terminals of the Collective, each is fitted for the task suited to aiding the whole. You're getting a welding torch for an arm because the Cube needs repairs and you're tall enough to get the high spots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I assume hardware and genetic upgrades would be applied while the drones are regenerating.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

WOULD YOU LIKE TO INSTALL THE UPDATE TONIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
In Voyager people seemingly sprout borg implants in short order after being infected by nanoprobes, so making changes to them when necessary or useful should be a walk in the park.