Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Paladinus posted:

How do you propose a company stays in business if they only ever produced one single product that they've completely met demand for for the foreseeable future? If they don't come up with a new product, they literally have nothing else to do on the market.

The problem is that selling the product is profitable, but the rate of sales isn't increasing exponentially. So the company could certainly stay in business, but the stock price wouldn't keep going up forever. If it was just a family owned business they'd probably be fine making X units a year in perpetuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

mawarannahr posted:

It's literally centrally planned and legally enforced obsolescence

No. You've stretched the term to be meaningless if you're including safety laws requiring PM and replacement based on expected equipment lifespan.

e: Like we can have a different conversation about regulatory capture or unintended consequences of code, but this situation as laid out here ain't planned obsolescence.
Unless you'd categorize OSHA enforcing the 30 day lifespan on a 3m ammonia cart as centrally planned and legally enforced obsolescence.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Sep 23, 2023

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

No. You've stretched the term to be meaningless if you're including safety laws requiring PM and replacement based on expected equipment lifespan.

Old automobiles can be very dangerous, but if one passes all inspections it's still allowed on the road (at least I'm not aware of any countries where the age of the car, as opposed to its actual state, ecological characteristics or something else was the deciding factor). I imagine there is something apart from just safety concerns behind those Australian laws. Otherwise, they would just inspect gas meters and tell everyone individually when to get a new.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Paladinus posted:

Old automobiles can be very dangerous, but if one passes all inspections it's still allowed on the road (at least I'm not aware of any countries where the age of the car, as opposed to its actual state, ecological characteristics or something else was the deciding factor). I imagine there is something apart from just safety concerns behind those Australian laws. Otherwise, they would just inspect gas meters and tell everyone individually when to get a new.

boy that sounds much more efficient! let's shut off the gas service to the home while we remove the gas meter and take it to the lab for metallurgical testing to make sure it's not on the verge of a leak or failure, you know, those things that have catastrophic effects like "entire house detonates". then we'll go back and install it in the home again. and do this 1500 times per day.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

CSPAM > capitalism.png: it may not be feasible to remain profitable

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Weatherman posted:

boy that sounds much more efficient! let's shut off the gas service to the home while we remove the gas meter and take it to the lab for metallurgical testing to make sure it's not on the verge of a leak or failure, you know, those things that have catastrophic effects like "entire house detonates". then we'll go back and install it in the home again. and do this 1500 times per day.

Wait, you don't have gas meter inspections between changes?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paladinus posted:

Would you say state requirements on swapping out solonoid and pressure relief valves in hazardous chemical storage rather than sending out engineers to inspect each valve is also a case of something fishy?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paladinus posted:

Wait, you don't have gas meter inspections between changes?

Is this a bit?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know, maybe there is a completely valid reason why in Australia they just change gas meters every ten years without inspection, but where I live we have mandatory inspections every two years.

E: I don't have gas at my current place, but the last time I had my gas meter changed was when it was only 6 years old. I don't know if it would have exploded in the next 4 years, but I'd rather not risk it.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 21:22 on Sep 23, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paladinus posted:

I don't know, maybe there is a completely valid reason why in Australia they just change gas meters every ten years without inspection, but where I live we have mandatory inspections every two years.

E: I don't have gas at my current place, but the last time I had my gas meter changed was when it was only 6 years old. I don't know if it would have exploded in the next 4 years, but I'd rather not risk it.

Different jurisdictions will handle stuff differently.
Areas you've lived could have mandated the use of meters and utility hookups with a 25 year lifespan, so 10 year replacement made no sense.
It's also likely an area that just hasn't had problems with explosions from failed equipment doesn't have relevent code or doesn't enforce what's on the book.
I also have the hunch that 2 year visual inspection was probably more to make sure no one was stealing from the utility rather than ensuring safety.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

Areas you've lived could have mandated the use of meters and utility hookups with a 25 year lifespan, so 10 year replacement made no sense.
It's also likely an area that just hasn't had problems with explosions from failed equipment doesn't have relevent code or doesn't enforce what's on the book.
I also have the hunch that 2 year visual inspection was probably more to make sure no one was stealing from the utility rather than ensuring safety.

They were also checking for gas leaks and cracks with some kind of a fancy detector. All I know is with water meters things are much easier.

Why wouldn't Australia use meters with a longer lifespan then or at least differentiate based on the type?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Coolness Averted posted:

e: Like we can have a different conversation about regulatory capture or unintended consequences of code, but this situation as laid out here ain't planned obsolescence.
Unless you'd categorize OSHA enforcing the 30 day lifespan on a 3m ammonia cart as centrally planned and legally enforced obsolescence.

sounds like a handout in both cases OP

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

part of the reason anti-obesity drugs are mega expensive is that pharma has been chasing them for 30 years now and they have poured absolutely insane amounts of money down the drain to get to the point of having one (1) anti-obesity drug that doesn't make your heart explode or w/e. drug discovery is genuinely expensive, so much so that charging way too much for the final product is the only thing they can do in a capitalist context to continue running and finding more drugs. not that i think they're weeping about charging a ton of money or anything but that's the financial reality

it's almost like the entire industry should be publicly run so that those kinds of considerations don't have to be taken into account

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Jazerus posted:

part of the reason anti-obesity drugs are mega expensive is that pharma has been chasing them for 30 years now and they have poured absolutely insane amounts of money down the drain to get to the point of having one (1) anti-obesity drug that doesn't make your heart explode or w/e. drug discovery is genuinely expensive, so much so that charging way too much for the final product is the only thing they can do in a capitalist context to continue running and finding more drugs. not that i think they're weeping about charging a ton of money or anything but that's the financial reality

it's almost like the entire industry should be publicly run so that those kinds of considerations don't have to be taken into account
hook, line, and sinker :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Why wouldn't Australia use meters with a longer lifespan then or at least differentiate based on the type?

Safety engineering is actually a really fascinating and complex field where it's often a lot easier to guarantee zero or almost zero random failures within a certain span of time than it is to guarantee an average "lifetime" before a failure. For similar reasons basically every critical part on an airplane has a finite amount of time you're allowed to use it, even if it's still "fine" when it's eventually taken out of service.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Also just because they're changed out every 10 years doesn't mean the old ones are simply discarded. We have a ten year changeout on certain highly safety sensitive equipment at my job. The devices we remove are torn down and fully rebuilt and then placed back into service for another 10 years if they are in suitable condition, or salvaged for parts if they are not, which is quite rare.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
reading around it sounds like a common type of regulation that's due to concerns about drifting accuracy meaning you might not be paying as much for your gas as you ought to be. hand out 🖐️

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

reading around it sounds like a common type of regulation that's due to concerns about drifting accuracy meaning you might not be paying as much for your gas as you ought to be. hand out 🖐️

lol no surprises here

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Exodus1984 posted:

The banker could spend as much on shoes as they want, they're lasting 3+ years because working in an office (or remotely) is much more low impact than any work where a person is on their feet every day.

I had dress shoes where I wore a noticeable part of the heel away after just a year since I guess you can compensate for the expected lax operating conditions by making them out of the worst materials you can source.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Safety engineering is actually a really fascinating and complex field where it's often a lot easier to guarantee zero or almost zero random failures within a certain span of time than it is to guarantee an average "lifetime" before a failure. For similar reasons basically every critical part on an airplane has a finite amount of time you're allowed to use it, even if it's still "fine" when it's eventually taken out of service.

I would also add that long tail risks are extremely expensive when they happen. it’s generally cheaper and prudent to deal with them preventively even when they have extremely low incidence rates.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I had dress shoes where I wore a noticeable part of the heel away after just a year since I guess you can compensate for the expected lax operating conditions by making them out of the worst materials you can source.
A traditional thrifty tip was to put rubber soles and heels on the shoes as soon as you got them. That way, when you wear through the sole, you just rip it off and put on a new one. You could bring your shoes to the shoe repair place and have the heel taps replaced any time you felt it was needed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A traditional thrifty tip was to put rubber soles and heels on the shoes as soon as you got them. That way, when you wear through the sole, you just rip it off and put on a new one. You could bring your shoes to the shoe repair place and have the heel taps replaced any time you felt it was needed.

that would make me too tall

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
cooking your toast for 3 mins instead of 4 is planned obsolescence imo

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Paladinus posted:

That's just government-mandated planned obsolescence.

Also, consider that producing something on a larger scale is usually cheaper per unit. If instead of the initial 10 million units a year, you have to sharply scale down to only 100k a year, it may not be feasible to remain profitable.

The point of the gas meter example is that even a product that lasts a relatively long time still has significant ongoing demand, for new construction or replacement of existing units.

You are being wilfully obtuse

Also this:

PerniciousKnid posted:

The problem is that selling the product is profitable, but the rate of sales isn't increasing exponentially. So the company could certainly stay in business, but the stock price wouldn't keep going up forever. If it was just a family owned business they'd probably be fine making X units a year in perpetuity.

Coolness Averted posted:

It's much harder to get away with not replacing a serialised meter than it is to get away with not doing a visual inspection.

GotLag has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Sep 24, 2023

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
I think putting an * on luddites were right is fair, I don't actually know that much about the luddites other than they were definitely right then and still are now because of material conditions. But if resources and production was owned communally rather than individually I think the * starts to gain value. You could potentially argue that technology would still be mostly destructive, but again, there's a solid argument for saying technology and automation might not be that bad if the goal isn't to maximise consumption and increases in numbers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Idk man I like not dying of smallpox

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Shame Boy posted:

Idk man I like not dying of smallpox
we are destroying biosphere and will kill more than smallpox could ever dream of

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was thinking about that recently, how there was a point within living memory where the whole world came together to vaccinate so many people we literally eradicated a disease from the entire global population, and how comically unthinkable something like that would be today

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

we are destroying biosphere and will kill more than smallpox could ever dream of

I don't think the smallpox vaccine did that but ok

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Shame Boy posted:

I don't think the smallpox vaccine did that but ok

I assume you are replying to

quote:

I think putting an * on luddites were right is fair, I don't actually know that much about the luddites other than they were definitely right then and still are now because of material conditions. But if resources and production was owned communally rather than individually I think the * starts to gain value. You could potentially argue that technology would still be mostly destructive, but again, there's a solid argument for saying technology and automation might not be that bad if the goal isn't to maximise consumption and increases in numbers
which also does not mention smallpox :confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yes that post seems to be saying "all modern technology is universally bad but just to different degrees depending on how much we gently caress it up with profit motive" and I'm saying that's obvious bullshit

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
not sure but i suspect its a gem of wisdom from one of the various doom threads

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

Yes that post seems to be saying "all modern technology is universally bad but just to different degrees depending on how much we gently caress it up with profit motive" and I'm saying that's obvious bullshit

Actually the post is saying technology can be good actually, I was responding to some poo poo a few pages back where people were suggesting Luddites are right in perpetuity. Not sure if that was clear as I didn't use the quote feature

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rock Puncher posted:

Actually the post is saying technology can be good actually, I was responding to some poo poo a few pages back where people were suggesting Luddites are right in perpetuity. Not sure if that was clear as I didn't use the quote feature

I guess I read "might not be that bad" as "would still be bad, but less" :shrug:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Technology is cool as hell and ceding it to capitalism is how we got in this mess

Love having electricity, running water and sewage , lets make sure everyone has em. Thanks to science I can not want to kill myself Synthetic hormones ftw.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mawarannahr posted:

Touch grass while you still can

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I guess I read "might not be that bad" as "would still be bad, but less" :shrug:

Can't say for sure but I think it could work for us without necessarily being destructive, doesn't change that technology comes at a cost but if society isn't geared to maximising consumption then theoretically technology is more purposeful and its benefits might outweigh the real cost to produce it. Maybe I should just have been more decisive in saying tech is not some lost cause and we should join the bonobos

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

I was thinking about that recently, how there was a point within living memory where the whole world came together to vaccinate so many people we literally eradicated a disease from the entire global population, and how comically unthinkable something like that would be today
Probably but I'm not completely sure since a contagious disease that kills a third of the people who catch it and seriously fucks up the rest is probably bad enough for the bottom line for the owning class to actually care.

Edit: same with if they made it a political issue, there'd be a lot of Republicans realizing that unlike Covid, unvaccinated people dying actually hits enough of their voter base to it to really hurt them.

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Sep 24, 2023

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Jazerus posted:

lmao.

governments fund medical R&D, not pharmacuticals. Then the government hands off the last mile testing to them, and their marketing budget for dick pills dwarfs any other expendature.

it's just handjobs to pharmacy execs because when you give someone a bunch of money they then in turn fund your campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Rock Puncher posted:

I think putting an * on luddites were right is fair, I don't actually know that much about the luddites other than they were definitely right then and still are now because of material conditions. But if resources and production was owned communally rather than individually I think the * starts to gain value. You could potentially argue that technology would still be mostly destructive, but again, there's a solid argument for saying technology and automation might not be that bad if the goal isn't to maximise consumption and increases in numbers.

Rock Puncher posted:

ahh, so the main problem here is you have no idea what the luddites were about or why they were correct and will always remain correct no matter what happens with technology.