Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I love that they still try new things, even if it's real hit or miss. The janitor mops twice is not very good, but I still love that they did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if i was danny i woould have died sometime during the waterpark episode so im gonna put that as the other option

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Carthag Tuek posted:

if i was danny i woould have died sometime during the waterpark episode so im gonna put that as the other option

I'VE GOT AIIIIDS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FireWorksWell posted:

I'VE GOT AIIIIDS

what kind tho

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Carthag Tuek posted:

what kind tho

There's two kinds of AIDS, the, the vagina based, and then the needle based AIDS.

I-I'm a vagina guy.

Related but I love the "you doing a fake AIDS thing?" "yeah. you doing a fake daughter thing?" exchange

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

game recognize game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

zer0spunk posted:

I love that they still try new things, even if it's real hit or miss. The janitor mops twice is not very good, but I still love that they did it.

That one's great though. The gag where no one's sure who's still talking to who because everyone's turned around is hilarious

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I had never heard of CCH Pounder before so when I searched that line after Dennis’ impression I laughed pretty hard

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

I had never heard of CCH Pounder before so when I searched that line after Dennis’ impression I laughed pretty hard

I mostly know here from The Shield (which is where that line was from) but yeah she's pretty good in it.
Also

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

holy poo poo. i watched demon knight over and over as a kid bc it was one of the ~13 movies we had on vhs. it's been foreeevvver. i need to watch it again asap

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Someone told me that they'd taken the recession episode off of Hulu, I don't have hulu anymore so I can't check but is that true?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

FireWorksWell posted:

Someone told me that they'd taken the recession episode off of Hulu, I don't have hulu anymore so I can't check but is that true?

It's not true. hth.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There were a few more episodes lost for about 5 hours right around the premiere and the Internet was ablaze. It was a technically error and they swiftly came back.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I only mention this because it's kind of peripherally related to the podcast we don't have at the moment, but Welcome to Wrexham just resumed. It's kind of weird watching a show where we know how it ends, but god drat if McElhenney and Reynolds aren't a fun couple of people to watch.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

ShowTime posted:

I only mention this because it's kind of peripherally related to the podcast we don't have at the moment, but Welcome to Wrexham just resumed. It's kind of weird watching a show where we know how it ends, but god drat if McElhenney and Reynolds aren't a fun couple of people to watch.

I wonder if there are any people who watched the first season but went unspoiled for the second one. Kind of hard to imagine.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I tried to stay unspoiled but it didn't last

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

cant cook creole bream posted:

I wonder if there are any people who watched the first season but went unspoiled for the second one. Kind of hard to imagine.

Seems pretty unlikely and also maybe not that big of a deal to find out Wrexham won the season and got promoted. I mean people still watch Netflix's F1 documentary.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I do like the show, but don't follow the team at all, but it took all of 1-hour after the end of their season for me to know what happened, thanks to their notoriety. It wasn't even just them, but they had several A-List actors attending or talking about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

cant cook creole bream posted:

It took a lot of perseverance and strict vetting of my internet consumption, but I’m proud to say that going into the second season that…

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems pretty unlikely and also maybe not that big of a deal to find out Wrexham won the season and got promoted. I mean people still watch Netflix's F1 documentary.

…SLICK GOKU BABY IS A BASTARD MAN.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, real nice to contribute to a conversation about spoilers with a spoiler, even if the conversation is that everybody probably already got spoiled.

Edit: ya jabroni

CPColin fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 13, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I didn't pay attention in history class because I might watch Ken Burns Civil War one day. But I'm guessing the South won, on account of the increasing amount of Confederate flags I've been seeing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Actually, the North lost because now it's stuck with the South forever

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Welcome to Wrexham ep 1: I wanted Rob to say he wouldn't bow to Charles3 because America and also put his thumb through his eye

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As someone who sometimes (maybe a month every other year) has to do customer service work i relate to this episode.
When i am ordered to do it i spend at least 50% of my time not knowing what the gently caress i am doing or how to help anyone and forwarding the call to anyone else.
Ofcourse some of those people loop back around to me. Akward. These are the only times in my career that i drink while on the clock. Its only way to calm my nerves enough to do my job.
Its not just old people calling in and being confused about how to do things online. Its every demographic.
Given that all my coworkers feel the same way i conclude that the people who are supposed to help you over the phone often barely know any more than you do.
Which is not that strange when you only staff the customer service division with temporary part time positions and use staff who are engaged in other tasks to cover the most severe peaks once or twice a year, or less. Its an insanse way to run anything, but thats just how it is.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i have no idea how ppl hate on this show's more recent seasons
i still think it's good after all these years or at least good enough to justify its existence
maybe i'm weird in that i don't really care if it's funny tho as much as i care that it's interesting
i've also been watching since basically the beginning tho so maybe it's just nostalgia
i just like these hosed up characters and want to see them in weird situations

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

im glad the gang gets to keep making the show, and i hope they get to do it for as long as its still interesting and fun for them to do it.

but if i'm lounging around and feel like putting a random episode on, it's pretty much always gonna be from seasons, like, 4 thru 9 or something. it's just the sweet spot with great quotable, memorable moments (for me).

now if i were to throw on a random episode and it was from an earlier or later season, i wouldn't mind at all, it just wouldn't be my go to choice.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Turdfuzz posted:

i still think it's good after all these years or at least good enough to justify its existence
maybe i'm weird in that i don't really care if it's funny tho as much as i care that it's interesting
i've also been watching since basically the beginning tho so maybe it's just nostalgia

For me personally, it is fairly important that a comedy is funny, that is like why I'm tuning in.

Thankfully IAS is still fairly funny, but it does feel like IAS: The After Years at this point and doesn't really hold a candle to how insanely funny the golden era was

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Show is still tremendously good (shockingly so at points) and it blows me away how they've managed to keep up the quality for so long. I also kind of love how they've acknowledged how the gang are all older now but still trying to pull the same bullshit. While they were always hosed up it's somehow even more hosed up now that they're middle-aged and haven't learned ANYTHING or changed at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As long as during every episode there's a point where they're all yelling over each other, it's still Sunny

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

If it weren't for the Ireland arc I would have said last season was pretty bad aside from Lerhal Weapon 7 but there' only a couple episodes I'd skip on a rewatch

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Turdfuzz posted:

Always Sunny is still good and still funny. It's still the best show on TV.

If you dig deeper into at least some of the people saying the show sucks now, you'd probably find they are upset that Always Sunny went "woke" with Mac being gay.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

If you dig deeper into at least some of the people saying the show sucks now, you'd probably find they are upset that Always Sunny went "woke" with Mac being gay.

You would think chuds would take the "we don't hate you because you're gay; we hate you because you're terrible" jokes, as them hating him for being gay.

Selective media literacy is facinating.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I don't think many people hate the show, they just don't find it as funny. Gay or straight, Mac as a character just isn't as funny anymore. They've written away his personality.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ChesterJT posted:

I don't think many people hate the show, they just don't find it as funny. Gay or straight, Mac as a character just isn't as funny anymore. They've written away his personality.

The big change with Mac I don't like is that they shifted him into being the dumbest of the group by far, and his shtick in episodes where they play it up is for him to repeat the same jokes through the episode, and I feel like one of his strengths was when he played the 'sane' one.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Yea, this is pretty much I feel. The show is funny, it's still good, but someone saying the show isn't as good as it used to be isn't saying the show sucks. You can be critical (if you can even count saying "it's not as good as it was" as critical) and still like something and be a fan of it. People in every genre seem to think you either need to be completely for something or completely against. You can't be in the middle.

Mac becoming/realizing he was gay was great. The lead up, the ambiguity, the denial, etc, all made for a really hilarious character. Now he's just gay and buff. The only memorable moment for him from this season was him eating cheap nuts and not accepting that he has a nut allergy.

I guess we'll see what they do next season, if they do another season. I hope they do.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Season 14 was the first time where I felt like the show was burning out a little, but even then there's still been some real gems and I thorougly enjoyed the previous season's Ireland plot. The show feels like "bonus material" at this point but it's still enjoyable enough that it doesn't feel like a waste of time to watch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It still blows me away that this show avoided the Archie Bunker Problem.

Literally every other show I've watched like this, where the main characters are awful people and that's the entire loving point, cultivates a rabid fanbase of absolutely horrible people who just love that they're being represented.

I'm sure they're out there, but we don't have a mass of assholes yelling WILDCARD BITCHES when they do something terrible like so much Pickle Rick.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

that sounds really silly

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

It still blows me away that this show avoided the Archie Bunker Problem.

Literally every other show I've watched like this, where the main characters are awful people and that's the entire loving point, cultivates a rabid fanbase of absolutely horrible people who just love that they're being represented.

I'm sure they're out there, but we don't have a mass of assholes yelling WILDCARD BITCHES when they do something terrible like so much Pickle Rick.

my guess is that unlike rick, the gang usually loses or doesn't come out on top for their behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Turdfuzz posted:

that sounds really silly

also by silly i just mean like, the closeted catholic jokes were fine but the actually coming out part is not?