Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
My name is Janet, not super common for anyone of millennial or younger age. (My parents straight up said they picked names for me and my siblings because they were easy to spell for little kids...) You can imagine that in general, I've been the only Janet during my k-12 education.

And I was. Until sophomore year. Then there was another Janet in the year below me. Okay, cool - she's younger than me, so shouldn't actually share any classes.

Yeah, until I got addicted to Diablo 2 and basically failed math. We had that one math class together and it was stupid. I don't think either of us ever had to worry that when a teacher said our name that they weren't actually talking to us.

That said, of all the languages I've attempted learning during some kind of education (German in high school, Russian for one semester in college, and Swedish for my second degree) it was only my Russian teacher who gave us Russian names, and they were either variations of our name in Russian or something reasonably close. I don't have a Russian keyboard installed, but my name was basically Zhjanna. I didn't really care because I was more annoyed that he would take points off my homework or quizzes because I wouldn't write in Cyrillic cursive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Midnight Voyager posted:

She was cremated as wished, but a picture of her was in a coffin.

They put that poor photograph in the ground

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
I have a fairly common first and last name, but only ever had another kid with the same first name once in fifth grade. Luckily the name comes with a plethora of nicknames, so we just went by different nicknames. The only time it's actually caused problems was my freshman year of college. There was a lady who we shared the exact same first and last name. Normally wouldn't be a problem except our college used the [firstname.lastname.entryyear]@[college].edu and their solution to this problem... was to throw a single 'a' at the end of my email. Compounding problem, my name was just long enough that this format dropped the 'a' off of a bunch of forms, or it was dropped to the next line, which none of my professors ever noticed. So a ton of my emails went to this other lady (who never forwarded them to me by the way) and I didn't notice for a couple weeks until a professor got annoyed that I didn't respond to their email about an assignment. Finally I had to go the IT department (or whoever, it's been over a decade) and get them to change it to [nickname.lastname.entryyear] and never had a problem again, but man I was mad at that lady.

Content!

AITA for pulling out a roommate search after her dad wanted me to pay him 100/month to be a guarantor

quote:

I (25F) am moving across the country and had planned to live an aquantice of mine (24F).

From the beginning, I said that I would only be able to help online but I would help with searching, reaching out and scheduling. We had been searching for a while with her going into see the apartments in person.

Long story short, we get approved for an apartment but they want her father to sign on as a guarantor because she doesn't have long enough renters history. He's apprehensive to sign on bc he doesn't know me. I totally understand and say I can talk to him to ease his mind.

She then says that he's worried that I'm going to die and leave them stuck with the lease and that he would do it if I paid him 100/month as a safety measure.

Said no I wasn't comfortable doing that and explained why. She got us on a three way call where she started crying because she was so stressed. I said I needed time to think about this and that upset her because the "apartment could go at any minute" she kind of throws me under the bus about the labor she's done searching and she doesn't want to do it anymore.

I got off the phone and called different people for advice. All said "get out now". I sent her a text saying "thank you for all you've done but I don't think we should search for apartments together. I hope we can be friends and best of luck". She calls me, yelling, saying how I'm screwing her life, I explained that hey I felt really backed into a corner this morning and I wasn't okay with that and she was like "why don't you get this, it's just the way it is" and it got to a point where nothing I was saying was getting through to her and she said she didn't think we could be friends after this and to never contact her again. Which, I'm fine with, after this.

Then her dad follows up later and says this: "I'm glad I tested your character before I did something stupid and signed a document that you would've backed out of at the first toothbrush left out. Talk about immature. My daughter is right you're a snowflake piece of poo poo who couldn't handle a basic business transaction to protect me from people like you. Your parents would be disappointed in your behavior. Good luck hope you don't make it. Bully that you little poo poo.

Dad of daughter with real Character😏 "

This whole thing is a bit crazy to me. But aita??

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

She then says that he's worried that I'm going to die

:wtf: Either there's more to this or the dad is a completely unstable nutbar (not an impossibility given his later reaction).

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

when i worked at a korean company with a large us presence the korean employees living in the us wpuld pick an english name. favorites were doogie and romeo.

when I was in Korea I knew a dude who had changed his name to Alfred Hitchcock and would lead off every conversation with a new person by introducing himself as "Alfred Hitchcock" and then saying "No, really!" even though nobody as far as I was aware had ever expressed disbelief about his chosen handle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My (23F) ex (24M) randomly pulled up to my apartment expecting to live with me. I don’t know what to do

quote:

We were on and off for 4 years. Ended things about a month ago but we were still in pretty close contact with each other. Although we were long distance we made it work. I knew he was having issues with his apartment but I did not known the extent of said issues and I did not know he was full blown facing eviction until the incident of him randomly flying out to my apartment came about. About 3 days ago I am taking a nap and get a knock at my door. It’s him with his suitcases. He greets me and is weirdly avoidant as to what’s going on. He didn’t say anything and I did not know at all he was coming. He even quit his job and didn’t have any job lined up when he got here. I eventually got him to tell me his plan was to stay with me 1-2 months while he got a job, and saved up money to find his own place. I would of never agreed to this honestly. I asked him if he could go find a hotel he tells me no he doesn’t have enough money. I honestly don’t know what to do. If I kick him out he will be on the streets but honestly I really don’t want him here. I live in a studio apartment and I work from home. Along with that I simply just don’t want him here. I need advice on how to navigate this situation. Should I kick him out? Should I come up with a plan? Do I let him stay?

I can actually hear the screeching violins :stare:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

That reminded me of this:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Captain Hygiene posted:

My (23F) ex (24M) randomly pulled up to my apartment expecting to live with me. I don’t know what to do

Favorite comment has a good script for calling the cops:

quote:

Call the police. If he is there right now, go somewhere private.

Tell them:

I don't know what to do. I am scared. I broke up with my ex who was long distance. He showed up to my house unannounced with a bag.

I was scared so I let him in.

But I want him out and I am scared for my safety.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Hello ex girlfriend, I got evicted, quit my job, and flew across the country to be here, I need to stay with you until I find a new job"

Cannot loving believed that worked to get him in the door.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITAH for standing with our child's teacher instead of my wife?

quote:

We recently got called into school for a meeting because our child (11) was using AirPods his mother bought him in class and refused to remove them because another student was able to use theirs. When the teacher asked him to remove said airpods he became defensive and gave the teacher an attitude because the teacher refused to address the other student.

I just assumed the teacher must have a reason why they refused to address the other student. My wife was/is upset because in her opinion I made her look foolish by not standing in unison with her.

I explained our kid should not be giving authority figures attitude and disrespecting them in front of other students because they feel they are being wronged. I tried to explain the kid who was allowed to use their airpods maybe hand an IEP or some prior agreement with the school.

AITA?

AITA for making my daughter write an apology letter to her teacher?

quote:

My husband (37M) and I (37F) have 4 kids (16F, 15M, 13F, and 13M). Our twins are in the 8th grade. Our son, Bayard and our daughter, Addilyn.

On Monday, my husband and I both got texts from Bayard that he needed to talk to us when we got home. We found this odd and were talking to each other before the kids got home. Once they were home, we spoke to Bayard in his room. He told us that he had heard that Addilyn was being rude to her History teacher, this teacher also has Bayard in a different period. The teacher is also Bayard’s baseball coach. Bayard and his friends look up to her, she knows so much about the sport and will talk to them about all the games going on, and she also gives them advice on things. My husband and I have never seen Bayard that mad, he was red in the face. He said he didn’t know much of the specific details, but he heard from some kids that Addilyn asked the teacher if she was on her period.

We emailed the teacher and got a reply on Tuesday, she admitted everything Bayard said was true and gave us some of the details. What she said was absolutely horrifying, she said it started when Addilyn was talking to some friends while she was trying to instruct the class, when she told her to stop, Addilyn refused. The kids were learning about Thomas Jefferson and one of the kids asked if he was autistic, as the kid had read it somewhere. Addilyn and her friends then made some joke about autistic people, who basically called them stupid.

One of the kids on the baseball team and Bayard’s friend, is autistic, and Addilyn is very aware of that. He is a really bright and sweet kid. The teacher told her that wasn’t very nice and tried to educate them a bit on what autism was, this is when Addilyn said that the teacher was “overreacting” and asked her if she was on her period.

The teacher admitted she didn’t call because she has had bad experiences with these types of phone calls in the past and was afraid of how’d we react, we told her she didn’t need to worry.

After this, my husband and I talked and agreed that Addilyn would lose her phone for at least a few weeks and she needed to write an apology letter both to her teacher and to the boy she made fun of, even though he wasn’t in that period of her class.

Addilyn wrote an apology letter to both but they seemed insincere and potentially AI generated, and when asked about it, she admitted she used AI to write it. We told her it needs to be genuine but she’s refusing to write a letter. She’s saying “forcing” her to write an apology is going against her right to express her true thoughts, and is calling us named, including a-holes. AITA?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for pulling out a roommate search after her dad wanted me to pay him 100/month to be a guarantor

:wtc:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITAH for standing with our child's teacher instead of my wife?

"Your true thoughts are horrid and that is why you are being punished. Do better."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Anecdotally I have a friend who helped run the theater program at a school that’s combination middle-high. He just quit and he said a big factor was the kids being incredibly poorly socialized and badly behaved, and also addicted to their phones to an insane degree. This is a private school in a medium-income area, in a state with generally strong schools, and these kids are practically feral. He thinks it’s COVID - not just that they lost two years of education and socializing but that during COVID they were reliant on their phones for the meager socialization they had and developed a totalizing addiction and dependence on them.

My son is six months old. He can have a flip phone when he turns 12.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

You can't charge a dowry or send your kids to work in the mines anymore, so you have to find at least some way to monetize them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

atomicdream posted:

I didn't really care because I was more annoyed that he would take points off my homework or quizzes because I wouldn't write in Cyrillic cursive.

That’s because handwritten russian text is suppose to be in cursive. Like that’s just how it is. Really.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 24, 2023

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
In continuance of renaming people, in high school my friend Ryan and I joined an after school club. There was another Ryan in the club and I asked him if I could call him by another name to differentiate the two. He told me to call him Bob.

I kept calling him Bob and was more extroverted than he was, so when I would introduce him to my friends I would introduce him as Bob. I was friends with a lot of people in school. This became so prevalent that everyone called him Bob, people didn't even realize his name wasn't Bob. This went on for all four years where he was just "Bob". It only stopped when we went to separate colleges and I couldn't introduce him as Bob to people.

In my mid-twenties I finally figured out unilaterally renaming someone for my own convenience was an rear end in a top hat move, so I apologized to Bob and asked him if it bothered him, I could go back to calling him Ryan. He laughed and said no, everyone calls him Ryan again and he finds it funny that I am the only one who calls him Bob.

So now when I introduce Bob to people, I go "this is my friend Ryan. I call him Bob though, so don't let that confuse you. His name is Ryan."

My other friend Ryan actually left the club after only a few months in and we started calling him by a shortened version of his last name, so no one got to be Ryan.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My first name is extremely common, but my last name is very rare in my area - I’ve never met anyone non-family that even has the same last name, let alone actually that actually goes by it - so a lot of the time I just go by my last name only. Seems to solve the problem pretty neatly, it’s not even hard to pronounce or anything

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Cowslips Warren posted:

she needed to write an apology letter both to her teacher and to the boy she made fun of, even though he wasn’t in that period of her class

Imagine being that autistic kid, how confused you'd be at receiving an AI written apology letter for something you had no idea happened and was directed at literally all autistic people.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Did seeing it a few posts above that one also remind you?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

lol that's funny it reminds me of this

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

olylifter posted:

when I was in Korea I knew a dude who had changed his name to Alfred Hitchcock and would lead off every conversation with a new person by introducing himself as "Alfred Hitchcock" and then saying "No, really!" even though nobody as far as I was aware had ever expressed disbelief about his chosen handle

I hope when he went to parties he would keep an eye out for people filming videos and make sure to walk past in the background

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITAH for smashing a little girls face in the cake

quote:

Yesterday we had a delayed birthday party for my nephew (8m) as he had his appendix removed during his birthday. In a long line of illnesses that he has had over the last few years that was the most reason issue. He was born premature.

The last two years it was immediate family only. This year we went all out. We got the bouncy castle, a chocolate fountain, booked tickets for go-karts for next weekend, a big cake with different marzipan roses and plant leaves molded in chocolate from different trees. He is very interested in Botany and insects. The cupcakes also had different flowers, leaves and insects on them. This cost my sister a lot as they were painstakingly made due to the details.

My brother in law's friend is married to a woman that is a bit special. He is not a very close friend but he is included in events. They were both married previously and have 3 (him) and 2 (her) children from previous relationships. All of them above 15. They do have a 10 year old daughter (Meghan) together known as their rainbow baby as she was born after 2 IVF rounds, 4 miscarriages and one stillbirth. She will gladly tell everyone about her health, journey to conception and miracle baby even if you try to shut her up.

She wore a cream coloured dress at my sisters wedding, Upstaged another friend of hers proposal by announcing her pregnancy, when her own SIL graduated she faked being ill as she has only gone as far as college an not beyond and couldn't take the attention her SIL was getting. She fakes fainting spells when she doesn't get the attention she needs. Her daughter does the same. She will fake a seizure when the conversation topic moves on from her etc.

At the party I was in charge of food and I set up the cakes, cupcakes and other refreshments in the front room as there would be lots of children running around and we didn't want grubby hands all over them before my nephew blew out the candles. Meghan kept disturbing me going in and out of the room and her mother egged her on. She asked if she could take pictures of Meghan eating a cupcake and then they would join the others in the garden. I said no and locked the door after I had set everything up and put the key in my bag.

After about an hour or so of games people started to move towards the table area and my sister asked me to go get the candles and cake ready. Meghan ran ahead of me and as I entered the hallway she unlocked the door which to me was a surprise as the key should have been in my bag. Her mother was almost shoulder to shoulder with me when Meghan dipped her nose and cheeks in the cake and had this deranged trying to be cute smile on her face. She picked one of the flowers of the cake and ate it. Her mother cheered her on and took a picture before I could react, saying that the first pick of the flowers was hers anyway for being special. A few more people were in the hallway at this point including my nephew and sister. He didn't look happy. I don't know what came over me, but I walked up to Meghan and smashed her head into the cake.

The aftermath was not pretty. Her mother started screeching which brought more people into the small hallway and the front room. Meghan started crying and her father threatened to do some not so nice things to me before my brother in law managed to interfere. He had to literally drag him out of the house.

Some people in the crowd laughed others stayed quiet. Then those who missed it asked questions and I explained what happened. Meghan and her mother who were still in the room tried to justify their ations even saying that I was the one that ruined the cake. Others sided with me that nobody wanted to eat a cake with Meghan boggers. In the end they left.

My sister has cancelled Meghan and her family's go-kart tickets. She also billed Meghan's mother for the cake. Meghan's mother forwarded the bill to me via a Whatsapp message and I refuse to pay for it. She said what her daughter did was fixable, but how I reacted was not. She also billed me for Meghan's dress dry cleaning, I have no intention of paying that either. There has been quite a commotion on Facebook and Whatsapp groups as my sister is threatening with small claims court.

The rear end in a top hat the people need. Who the gently caress let's their kid put their face into someone's birthday cake?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Hughlander posted:

The rear end in a top hat the people need. Who the gently caress let's their kid put their face into someone's birthday cake?

Once when I was a kid, I grabbed a green bean out of the serving bowl with my grubby little kid hands. As punishment, I had to eat the whole bowl of beans by myself and wasn't allowed to eat anything else. I think that would be a fair punishment for the cake-ruiner kid. That much frosting alone would probably have her puking rainbows all night, which would nicely punish the mom too.

E: I feel I should specify, this would be a more appropriate punishment than physically assaulting a child, because what the gently caress.

wheatpuppy fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 24, 2023

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Hughlander posted:

UPDATE

quote:

I ended up paying for the drycleaning and apologised to Meghan.

Meghan's father agreed to and paid for the cake and some extra cash to make up for a ruined birthday.

Meghan's mother is banned from future family events, her father will only be invited to certain things minus his wife and Meghan.

My nephew has put it behind him and I will take him to an amusement park of his choice an pay for him and his closest friends.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

wheatpuppy posted:

Once when I was a kid, I grabbed a green bean out of the serving bowl with my grubby little kid hands. As punishment, I had to eat the whole bowl of beans by myself and wasn't allowed to eat anything else. I think that would be a fair punishment for the cake-ruiner kid. That much frosting alone would probably have her puking rainbows all night, which would nicely punish the mom too.

When I was about four I went to a kid's birthday party. There was a white cake I desperately wanted to eat and got told off because I was lurking around it and eating the crumbs that had fallen onto the plate. We weren't allowed cake until we were finished with the birthday activity, which was making little bowls with white modeling clay.

After the activity was done the mom brought over the white cake to the table we had made the pots at. She accidentally scattered some cake crumbs onto the table which my greedy little rear end went and started munching on.

She did not scatter any crumbs. I had mistaken the leftover pieces of modeling clay for cake crumbs and I ate quite a bit before my tongue told my brain what a terrible thing I had done. It made me so sick to my stomach I couldn't even eat any cake.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

"I wonder how I may kill or harm today" :twisted:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Then her dad follows up later and says this: "I'm glad I tested your character before I did something stupid and signed a document that you would've backed out of at the first toothbrush left out. Talk about immature. My daughter is right you're a snowflake piece of poo poo who couldn't handle a basic business transaction to protect me from people like you. Your parents would be disappointed in your behavior. Good luck hope you don't make it. Bully that you little poo poo.

Dad of daughter with real Character😏 "

Need to send a reply that is just "lol" and then block him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Naw gently caress this guy, I've found recipes with shorter preambles than this.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Khanstant posted:

Naw gently caress this guy, I've found recipes with shorter preambles than this.

He could’ve pulled a Mario Batali and ended his post with a recipe for the cake

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Khanstant posted:

It’s an old family recipe passed down by generations! Wait a sec what’s this… poo poo it’s Betty Crocker!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mushmouth posted:

My name was middling uncommon when I grew up

drat what kind of parents name their kid Middling

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Some names are holo foil rares, others are just commons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
AITA for making my wife pay half of everything?

quote:

Throwaway because my wife knows my reddit account.

I (39m) recently got a raise at work. I'm now making well over double what my wife (37f) makes at her job. I've always made about double. We live pretty comfortably, rent but have two cars, and can buy whatever we need including luxury items like gaming consoles, tv's etc. We dont go on vacations or spend foolishly. We split everything 50/50 and have our own bank accounts, she gives me her share of the rent every month and I pay. If I pay for something like a hotel, she gives the money for her half. Recently the subject of her paying less came up. She suggested that we each pay an equal percentage of our earnings towards rent and household utilities.(eg, we each pay 30% of our salary towards rent and utilities) She says she's been using her credit cards to pay for things since she can't afford rent plus utilities and groceries on her salary and they are close to maxed. She's never mentioned this, and I don't think I should be held responsible for her inability to manage money. We chose our place together and she should have picked something she could afford better not make me pay more in the future because she is now struggling as she puts it. I work hard for my money and am putting away savings to use as a downpayment on a house in the future. I already don't go on any big vacations or expensive outings as I know she can't afford her half. She is angry with me and says I'm financially abusing her. I think I'm justified in keeping my money for me. I buy her nice things here and there and occasionally will pay for dinner, it's more than a lot of husbands do.

AITA for making my wife pay her fair share of things?

OP has a fair number of deleted comments, though hasn’t gotten rid of this one:

OP posted:

Y'all, I'm really not an rear end in a top hat. I'm a nice guy. I dont get all the hate. Not like I'm beating her or calling her names all the time.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Wow you're saying you don't beat your wife? What a catch! Shame you're already locked down!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Wow you're saying you don't beat your wife? What a catch! Shame you're already locked down!

No he's not saying he doesn't beat his wife. He said he doesn't beat his wife all the time.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I am morbidly fascinated how someone like that would explain their financial and relationship objectives. He's handicapping his lifestyle to her income, and even beyond that since her taking on high interest debt for their current lifestyle means less discretionary income over time. What good are his savings if his spending is permanently capped by his partner's income anyway? Does the marriage have a planned end date? Is he assuming he will live longer? What exactly is the goal here other than being an rear end in a top hat to his own detriment?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like with almost all abusers, the cruelty is the point.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Hughlander posted:

No he's not saying he doesn't beat his wife. He said he doesn't beat his wife all the time.

Some smug journalist: have you stopped beating your wife?

The OP, even more smug: I beat my wife half as much as she deserves, and half as much again as I'd like

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I am morbidly fascinated how someone like that would explain their financial and relationship objectives. He's handicapping his lifestyle to her income, and even beyond that since her taking on high interest debt for their current lifestyle means less discretionary income over time. What good are his savings if his spending is permanently capped by his partner's income anyway? Does the marriage have a planned end date? Is he assuming he will live longer? What exactly is the goal here other than being an rear end in a top hat to his own detriment?

I'm assuming it has an end date because he does say he's planning on buying a house. Not that they're going to buy a house, he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Wait I thought corporeal punishment of children was bad.