Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Ya but if the motor on yours breaks, the alternative isn't going to cause you to collapse. You're shaking a 12 ml pot of paint for 10 seconds, not a 13lb 4L metal can of house paint.

I feel like you're making up a guy and getting mad at him right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Ya but if the motor on yours breaks, the alternative isn't going to cause you to collapse. You're shaking a 12 ml pot of paint for 10 seconds, not a 13lb 4L metal can of house paint.

It's going to take a lot more than 10 seconds to take this bottle of paint from this

to this

Even on a vortex mixer it took about 3 to 4 minutes, but the only effort expended on my part was "hold it in place", instead of "shaking my arm like I'm prepping for the Onanism Olympics"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I feel like you're making up a guy and getting mad at him right now.

I feel like you're assuming I'm getting mad about you guys being upset that someone told you to shake a pot of paint with your hand and that's far from the truth.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Even on a vortex mixer it took about 3 to 4 minutes, but the only effort expended on my part was "hold it in place", instead of "shaking my arm like I'm prepping for the Onanism Olympics"

Ok well when the motor on your cheapo mixer fails wait until your replacement shows up then before taking on the monumental task of bringing all the paints you don't use back up to snuff. I'm not telling you what to do with your life my dude.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I feel like you're assuming I'm getting mad about you guys being upset that someone told you to shake a pot of paint with your hand and that's far from the truth.

Ok well when the motor on your cheapo mixer fails wait until your replacement shows up then before taking on the monumental task of bringing all the paints you don't use back up to snuff. I'm not telling you what to do with your life my dude.

"I'm not telling you what to do with your life my dude, I'm just saying that you guys who use vortex mixers are lazy shits who are throwing your money away, instead of jacking your paints off in the air like a real painter should. No I'm clearly not mad about this at all"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm just saying that you guys who use vortex mixers are lazy shits who are throwing your money away, instead of jacking your paints off in the air like a real painter should. No I'm clearly not mad about this at all

:dafuq:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The point is, if you truly didn't care what people did or didn't do in an effort to mix their paints, you wouldn't have made a snarky comment like

AndyElusive posted:

I love when goons talk like shaking a pot of separated modeling acrylic paint without a vortex mixer is as dangerous as throwing chain on an oil rig.

E: However we should probably leave this argument here, because this isn't in the spirit of the thread (which is helping people get their minis painted and showing off their work). I apologize for my part in contributing to the contentious atmosphere.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 22, 2023

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ahahaha honestly you think that shaking your paint bottles is so beneath you?? Really????

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Vortex mixers are a useful tool, but not a necessary one.

I've got a few paints that settle so badly the Vortex mixer saves me enough time to be worth the investment. Apothecary White is just the worst, and so is everything with apothecary white mixed into it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I bought a bag of glass slingshot bullets and chuck 2-3 of them into any disagreeable paint bottle, and it makes pretty much any paint mix well with a quick manual shake.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Jesus Christ you all sound like toddlers.

Post cool things you’ve painted recently. Please, I beg you.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Yeast posted:

Jesus Christ you all sound like toddlers.

Post cool things you’ve painted recently. Please, I beg you.

Before I give you feedback, I need to know how your paints were shaken....

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Never gonna claims a Vortex mixer is necessary, but they're super handy of you paint intermittently or want to make sure your paints super perfect for an airbrush. I had to take a break and a lot of my bottles had some nasty clogs/seperation which it was helping with a ton.

Of which, I'm finalling swapping my paints from the angled upside down storage setup I was using. It was creating a ton of clogs for me because the pigment was settling in the tips of my dropper bottles.

Now I'm slowly piecing together this modular setup which has been a lot nicer so far. Just need to print out some storage bins to slide underneath and handle a bit of organization.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lumpy posted:

Before I give you feedback, I need to know how your paints were shaken....

I had my infant son hold the bottle then I vigorously shook him

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Wow that looks awesome. I love the camo pattern -- very recognizable as camo but bold enough to not look super busy and muddled. Can we see the front of the mini too?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks! And yeah of course:

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a budget light for me to get started with? Most of the rooms in the house arent hugely well lit so I definitely need a bright desk lamp to work with of some kind. Around 40-50 GBP. Also, while looking close up at my newly assembled minis I realised my up close sight isnt what it used to be. Is it ok to use a pair of reading glasses when painting or am I going to cause trouble down the line?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Asciana posted:

Can anyone recommend a budget light for me to get started with? Most of the rooms in the house arent hugely well lit so I definitely need a bright desk lamp to work with of some kind. Around 40-50 GBP. Also, while looking close up at my newly assembled minis I realised my up close sight isnt what it used to be. Is it ok to use a pair of reading glasses when painting or am I going to cause trouble down the line?

Ikea tertials are a super good budget route. Pick up a couple and throw some decent bulb In there

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 23, 2023

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

I love when goons talk like shaking a pot of separated modeling acrylic paint without a vortex mixer is as dangerous as throwing chain on an oil rig.

I dunno man, I’m phone posting from the engine room of a container ship and you’d better believe I’ve got a vortex mixer sitting on my desk back up in my cabin. :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not mine, but there's some solid techniques here, so I'll share it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNRIxaACnqk

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Asciana posted:

Also, while looking close up at my newly assembled minis I realised my up close sight isnt what it used to be. Is it ok to use a pair of reading glasses when painting or am I going to cause trouble down the line?

Absolutely not. The converse is true. Straining your eyes to see something small instead of wearing your glasses can make your eyesight worse. Wear your specs. Or get a big gently caress off magnifying thing and still wear your specs. That’s what i do.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

To celebrate the buffing of deathguard I printed an up to date version of an old custom character i made as a little kid out of a cobbled together ork, coldone rider, abaddon and an avatar arm (no idea where i got the avatar hand from).

i kitbashed with a lot of the same bits and did some custom sculpting on the dino and body, the rider's head is my own sculpt

sadly he's a counts-as daemon prince which kinda sucks on the table but i do like how he came out, the hosed up sad fat dino especially

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Asciana posted:

Also, while looking close up at my newly assembled minis I realised my up close sight isnt what it used to be. Is it ok to use a pair of reading glasses when painting or am I going to cause trouble down the line?

I have a magnifier headband thing that I wear throughout the building and painting processes and it's been a real game changer. Wish I had done that years ago.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
finished my PsychoPhage! what do you guys think? would love comments and critiques!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I’m having a weird airbrush problem I was hoping the brain trust could help me with. I’m not getting any airflow through the valve below the trigger. The valve itself appears to be functioning, but for some reason the trigger no longer depresses it enough to let air through. I have no idea how this could happen - it stopped working mid-session, I didn’t drop it or anything, and neither the valve nor the trigger are visibly damaged. Has anyone run into this?

https://i.imgur.com/ZmRfs1g.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/HRwaRdR.mp4

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

and yes I know the airbrush compressor stickers are cringe, the compressor is borrowed

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beffer posted:

Absolutely not. The converse is true. Straining your eyes to see something small instead of wearing your glasses can make your eyesight worse. Wear your specs. Or get a big gently caress off magnifying thing and still wear your specs. That’s what i do.

I've got my regular prescription lenses, but for really small stuff I have some cheap 2.25 and 4.0 reading glasses. The 4.0s are amazing, parts even my regularly glasses can't focus on are suddenly huge. Everything outside of their focal range is hilariously blurry, but for sitting and working on something it's a non-issue.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Took a huge painting break while handling a loved ones cancer finally getting the upper-hand. Posted the begining of this a while ago. I wanted to go further but I'm so burnt out with non-hobby stuff I kind of just wanted to finish him.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Took a huge painting break while handling a loved ones cancer finally getting the upper-hand. Posted the begining of this a while ago. I wanted to go further but I'm so burnt out with non-hobby stuff I kind of just wanted to finish him.

HOLY GUACAMOLE

Thats beyond incredible!!!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah that's a really nice bit of work, props on getting to the finish line! Sorry about cancer being a POS to those you love :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's nothing in the book that says Magnus can't be a giant sculpted Mezoamerican god

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

B-e-a-utiful, what's your recipe for the iridescent purple?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Harvey Mantaco posted:

That's exceptional. Just the way the tabard is lit up just makes me want to cry out of envy

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Absolutely gorgeous, and condolences for what you and your loved ones are going through.

Painted up a loyalist space marine (for the first time, I miss my spikes already) for my Wrath and Glory campaign, also went and grabbed some cork to try and spice up my bases. He's from the Iron Champions chapter, a successor of the Executioners that I thought looked pretty cool.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm halflings finished
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-halflings-militia-10mm-314206

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ballbot5000 posted:

B-e-a-utiful, what's your recipe for the iridescent purple?

Video on my yt channel shows the application, but the gist is a dark purple base, then build up lines of a more lilac purple or genestealer purple darkened by the original color, then add magenta into that, then finally white. Each color change gets a new pass of lines coming out at 45 degrees from the pinion (?) of the feather. Then I do a pass of purple wash to unify, trying to keep it mostly towards the center of the feather.
Same thing with the other side of the feather but with dark blue->ice blue->lemon white->glaze with blue

Probably not the best way, took forever. I also had the lines coming out of the feathers at 90 degrees and had to redo it at one point so ugghhh

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What's your camera, settings, and setup?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sorry Harvey Mantaco, I’m only going to associate your Magnus with this video now:

https://youtu.be/_JMpWeguZdc?si=ZiVAURqYT4ec2YZQ

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
About a year ago, I posted some kitbashed minis that I had been working on for fun https://imgur.com/a/IOvTThY and people suggested that they would be great for solo games like Five parsecs.
I have recently followed up on that suggestion and been kitbashing more minis for solo games.

Here are some of the ones that I'm most pleased with:

Mercs & Bandits
https://imgur.com/a/wGIeIMP

Explorers
https://imgur.com/a/3OSVahh

Sci-Fi NPC's
https://imgur.com/mRemT8C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Turns out if you want to strip metal minis get yourself a bottle of Citrastrip (if you're in the US). Left some minis in a little tub of it overnight and the paint fell right off. I don't think I'd use if for resin or plastic, but for metals it was great.