Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

They absolutely could have a 20 minute summary where everything is rattled off in crystal-clear HD, but they've kept the format of two guys sitting at a table in an available SE office with printouts because it helps to maintain a greater sense of authenticity and closeness with the community. I don't begrudge people for not wanting to sit around for a couple hours listening to Japanese-only audio and squinting at blown-out printer paper, but I think something slicker would be chipping away at part of what's made the game such a standout title (the clear passion and commitment the lead devs have for their product).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On reflection, I think a big part of the reason I watch the live letters are the unpolished, casual quirks. If all I wanted was 'here's the new patch information' I could just wait and then look at the powerpoint slides and I'd probably get a better experience, but I think it's valuable to hear the little asides, get an idea of how the team feels, sniff out the little hints that you can see in stuff like the minion showcases (that I"m convinced at this point are deliberate), and catch confirmations of developer intention that we wouldn't get otherwise.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Both of these statements are true.

It's fun because it's stupid.

I hope it never stops.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

On reflection, I think a big part of the reason I watch the live letters are the unpolished, casual quirks. If all I wanted was 'here's the new patch information' I could just wait and then look at the powerpoint slides and I'd probably get a better experience, but I think it's valuable to hear the little asides, get an idea of how the team feels, sniff out the little hints that you can see in stuff like the minion showcases (that I"m convinced at this point are deliberate), and catch confirmations of developer intention that we wouldn't get otherwise.

Yeah, I'm not against the live letters in any way, they're just not for me, but I do appreciate their existence and the vibe they help add and maintain within the community.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If we didn’t have live letters then how could we be entertained by things like printer paper Hrothgar 2B hair concept art?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

iPodschun posted:

They do run around as Tataru sometimes

Excellent then all is as it should be.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Okay but Tataru ISN'T late-stage capitalist. She's petit-bourgeois!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

Okay but Tataru ISN'T late-stage capitalist. She's petit-bourgeois!

don't you mean petite-bourgeois? doh ho ho ho!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Are women bourgeois?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Almost live letter time!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I have one rule: I hear the Main Theme as a leitmotif, I mark out

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
GOOD rear end TRAILER

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think they adjusted the angle of that key art so that zero no longer looks like humpty-dumpty

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

english, baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnSwKgYuIMA

e: scholars why aint you doin this?

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 24, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol I searched "ffxiv 6.5" looking for the trailer and it was just a bunch of #content creators complaining about how the game is dying because there isn't a neverending treadmill to grind your face into this expansion

ugh

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Arist posted:

Lol I searched "ffxiv 6.5" looking for the trailer and it was just a bunch of #content creators complaining about how the game is dying because there isn't a neverending treadmill to grind your face into this expansion

ugh

That’s going to be the thing you hear for the next 9 months. “Endwalker failed because there is no Bozja 2.0.” That’s already the accepted consensus on r/ffxiv

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, that's dumb

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What does it mean for an expansion to "fail"

Like what is the metric

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Mordiceius posted:

That’s going to be the thing you hear for the next 9 months. “Endwalker failed because there is no Bozja 2.0.” That’s already the accepted consensus on r/ffxiv

Zepla circa ShB: IS BOZJA DEAD???

Zepla circle EW: EW is the worst expansion because there's no Bozja or other grind, and I already beat Savage and Ultimate

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

they apparently read this thread because they said savage criterion is going to have a reward "intended to be useful in increasing item level", whatever that means

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Like what is the metric

For a lot of these morons, it's "it wasn't the expansion that was the one that I started playing at and therefore it's not as good"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MechaX posted:

Zepla circa ShB: IS BOZJA DEAD???

Zepla circle EW: EW is the worst expansion because there's no Bozja or other grind, and I already beat Savage and Ultimate

Why are people still giving her the time of day after she had that huge meltdown over Wizard Game

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Waffleman_ posted:

Like what is the metric

It doesn't have a steady flow of content for people who play the game as a job to make crappy YT videos off of weekly so rather than just play something else they instead make videos crying about how the game doesn't cater to the "true" fans and is dead and empty and there is nothing to do (because they've done it all already).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Meanwhile, in actual news:

Good job, everyone. You whined hard enough.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i can't find the live letter where is it

edit: never mind it's on the square enix channel and not any of the ffxiv channels i follow

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Why are people still giving her the time of day after she had that huge meltdown over Wizard Game

For worst, she kinda turned into Asmongold 2.0 for the past year or so, so she's definitely tapped into that particular part of the FF14 fanbase

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Vermain posted:

they apparently read this thread because they said savage criterion is going to have a reward "intended to be useful in increasing item level", whatever that means

I'm actually a bit surprised about this, I figured it'd be something they wouldn't do until 7.0. I hope they go a little into what it is, but I guess 6.51 isn't that far off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kerrzhe posted:

i can't find the live letter where is it

At the Tokyo Game Show.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On Square Enix (not NA, just Square Enix) YouTube

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Arist posted:

Well, that's dumb

The current “consensus” about EW is generally a combination of:

- “not enough midcore content”
- “only catered to super hardcore and super casual”
- “island sanctuary was a failure”
- “variant/criterion dungeons were a failure”
- “the relic is a failure and anyone who likes this method just wants all content to just hand out rewards with zero effort :smug:
- “all of the problems with EW would be solved with by having a Bozja 2.0”
- “they should have made Bozja 2.0 instead of wasting their time with island sanctuary and v/c dungeons.”
- “stop telling me to take a break and play other games”

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

content creators basically have to feed their audience something new every day or the audience will eat them, of course they complain every time they run out of things to do

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

considering that active character numbers for the same patch in ShB were 400,000 lower than what they are now, you would have to do an olympic's worth of stretching to call EW a "failure"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of relic, probably a good time to start getting tomestones together

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

oh thank god, optional items can go in the armoire, that's probably a good 40 slots saved for my dresser alone

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vermain posted:

considering that active character numbers for the same patch in ShB were 400,000 lower than what they are now, you would have to do an olympic's worth of stretching to call EW a "failure"

God, now you're making me remember EW launch week and with DT launching in summer instead of right at the holidays, it's gonna be even worse probably lol

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of relic, probably a good time to start getting tomestones together

Eh, that's not until 6.55, which is still at least 3 months away.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Onean posted:

Eh, that's not until 6.55, which is still at least 3 months away.

I keep forgetting they're not until .x5

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Oh drat, the patch is next week.

Well, that will be enough time to get a DRG gear to beat Zeromus the only way I know how: have a dragoon jump to avoid Big Bang

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The thing that cracks me up is that we had multiple expansions of people complaining “every patch is basically the exact same poo poo. They should add some new and unique content that is completely different.”

Then they create island sanctuary and v/c dungeons. Are both perfect without a single flaw? Nah, but they’re cool, different content and make for a great foundation for future content.

These people now: “stop doing new things! why aren’t you just giving me the exact same content you did in the past?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Further reward nerfs to the crystal tower raids