Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

leper khan posted:

Err sorry, that was Q1

aaaahhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Subjunctive posted:

OK, 2022 was $1.39B in revenue, which is more like what I was imagining

and they had their first profitable quarter since going public. they were doing so well!

:allears:

Amazing how profitable you can be after a couple layoffs.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

leper khan posted:

Their licenses for real money gaming has been separate since at least unity 4. Their license terms are incredibly predatory. Slots were the group funding Godot prior to the unity fiasco.

I don't think I'd use the word 'predatory' for anyone squeezing money out of a slot machine company, no matter how ruthless those terms are. It's a "Let them fight" situation.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

leper khan posted:

2021 Financials have 70.4M from create (roughly, the engine licensing), 146.6M from operate (ads, multiplay, etc), and 17.8M from other (partnerships and asset store)

I didn't say it was unprofitable, but they're not making money from it.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you were claiming it was unprofitable, it just sounded hard to believe that it was one of their lowest income streams. It’s essentially the App Store model so it seemed like it should be churning out massive returns compared to resources invested.

Very surprised to learn that it’s not a significant portion of their revenue, especially compared to the engine side which I assume they operate at a loss for the sake of their other interests.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Semisomnum posted:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply you were claiming it was unprofitable, it just sounded hard to believe that it was one of their lowest income streams. It’s essentially the App Store model so it seemed like it should be churning out massive returns compared to resources invested.
It probably is a massive return compared to their investment, it's just a relatively small amount of business with no real way to grow it. Even if they get a decent size cut of every sale for doing essentially nothing, the pie isn't that big.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

OK, 2022 was $1.39B in revenue, which is more like what I was imagining

and they had their first profitable quarter since going public. they were doing so well!

:allears:

First profitable non-GAAP, which is still basically saying not profitable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

I don't think I'd use the word 'predatory' for anyone squeezing money out of a slot machine company, no matter how ruthless those terms are. It's a "Let them fight" situation.

So they can go for gatcha?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
nah that's the totally legally distinct, barely obfuscated gambling for children! Totally different!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's totally different from gambling because there's not even a slight possibility of getting your money back.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Foxfire_ posted:

It's a shame corporate negotiations aren't to the death. Why did we get so many other aspects of a cyberpunk dystopia but not that one!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf gacha is also different from gambling in that there is a concrete endgoal. unsure if this is better or worse but at least you cant gamble your 5* character on a 6* one and keep chasing forever.

note: suggest this idea to someone, become billionaire.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

tbf gacha is also different from gambling in that there is a concrete endgoal. unsure if this is better or worse but at least you cant gamble your 5* character on a 6* one and keep chasing forever.

too late that's what diablo immortal is doing already

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

leper khan posted:

Amazing how profitable you can be after a couple layoffs.

I swear one of their recent "unprofitable" quarters was in part because they spent a bunch of what would have been profit on stock buyback but I don't really want to go digging through unity's financal reports to check where

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A classic from the archives:

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1705501044023922908

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

The Kins posted:

A classic from the archives:

To be fair to this one, I knew a couple of the people involved with this at unity when it happened and, from what I remember, it was mostly just a lot of internal miscommunication. The employee in the screenshot misread a slack thread that was mostly people not involved in the team in question who were also trying to make sense of the situation. At any rate, that particular person is definitely not someone who would intentionally be trying to gaslight the community to protect the company on Twitter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

Isnt this somewhat akin to how upgrading in a lot of Korean MMOs work. You have to use your level 5 sword +level 5 upgrade item to have a chance at level 6, but if it fails you lose the level 5 forever. As the level goes up the odds of failing increases, but you can only buy safety from failures not guarantees of success.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DaveKap posted:

As an idiot who has trouble building games but does it anyway, I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The only easy part is downloading it.

Yeah this is another one of those 80/20 situations that software dev is full of. You'll get 80% of your features up and running in 20% of the time, and spend the rest dealing with annoying corner cases with bad or non existent documentation, feeling like you're making no progress

e: source: I worked on a game that had to be ported from GameCube to Xbox 360

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Barudak posted:

Isnt this somewhat akin to how upgrading in a lot of Korean MMOs work. You have to use your level 5 sword +level 5 upgrade item to have a chance at level 6, but if it fails you lose the level 5 forever. As the level goes up the odds of failing increases, but you can only buy safety from failures not guarantees of success.

Yeah, Japanese mobile apps pioneered it but some Korean studios quickly adopted gacha game mechanics. I think there's kind of a fuzzy boundary between old school gacha games and mmos because showing off rare/powerful items and ranked ladders are integral to the formula.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Tarnop posted:

Yeah this is another one of those 80/20 situations that software dev is full of. You'll get 80% of your features up and running in 20% of the time, and spend the rest dealing with annoying corner cases with bad or non existent documentation, feeling like you're making no progress

e: source: I worked on a game that had to be ported from GameCube to Xbox 360

I've heard the expression this way: In game dev you spend 80% of the time getting the first 80% working but then for that last 20% it takes 80% of your time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

I've heard the expression this way: In game dev you spend 80% of the time getting the first 80% working but then for that last 20% it takes 80% of your time.
The expression I heard is that the first 90% takes way less time than the second 90%. :v:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Barudak posted:

Yes. There's a safe level and typically every upgrade beyond that is exponentially more likely to fail.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, Japanese mobile apps pioneered it but some Korean studios quickly adopted gacha game mechanics. I think there's kind of a fuzzy boundary between old school gacha games and mmos because showing off rare/powerful items and ranked ladders are integral to the formula.

Lmao. No. Korean MMOs have been doing that poo poo since well before the iPhone existed.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Danakir posted:

I would be shocked if Unity didn't lose a lot of business in the coming year over this even after backing down. Lots of people are never going to want to trust them again.

Probably isn't the last backdown of the backdowns, neither.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

leper khan posted:

Lmao. No. Korean MMOs have been doing that poo poo since well before the iPhone existed.

From what I remember, the apps started gaining popularity somewhere in the '00s. But it would be really interesting to find the first example. Would be especially funny if it was actually Korean. Which MMOs were you thinking of?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

From what I remember, the apps started gaining popularity somewhere in the '00s. But it would be really interesting to find the first example. Would be especially funny if it was actually Korean. Which MMOs were you thinking of?

Looking up the history of monetization in these titles is turning out to be surprisingly difficult. I was thinking of maplestory, ragnarok, etc. They definitely had cash shops, but I can't find when/where they started adding gacha.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I know Ragnarok Online was doing it in 2002 at least.

Edit: The origin of gacha predates video games though. They used to be (still are?) physical machines outside convenience stores or whatever that spit out random toys in a capsule. For kids. The word 'gacha' itself is an onomatopoeia of the sound they make. Like 'ka-clunk' or something.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 24, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Magnetic North posted:

The Kins posted:

The expression I heard is that the first 90% takes way less time than the second 90%. :v:

These are both very good and very accurate

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

imweasel09 posted:

First profitable non-GAAP, which is still basically saying not profitable.

Haha, I didn’t notice that! Amazing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

HelixFox posted:

At any rate, that particular person is definitely not someone who would intentionally be trying to gaslight the community to protect the company on Twitter.

Some of the things being said on twitter make me think of "support agent who just says whatever bullshit to customers to make them stop reopening tickets because the metrics they're judged on are purely response times and number of ticket-reopenings"

To also be fair, "authoritatively spouting purestrain bullshit with a hint of blaming the reader" is a hallmark of AI generated responses so who knows bowadays

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Some of the things being said on twitter make me think of "support agent who just says whatever bullshit to customers to make them stop reopening tickets because the metrics they're judged on are purely response times and number of ticket-reopenings"

To also be fair, "authoritatively spouting purestrain bullshit with a hint of blaming the reader" is a hallmark of AI generated responses so who knows bowadays

A lot of it is "software engineer with no media training putting their foot in it because they're not expecting to be turned into a Twitter Main Character"

(My previous job was for Unity and I worked at the same office as the customer support team and I can assure you they have no interest in engaging with the community any more than they have to for their jobs haha)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

There are plenty of gacha games with nearly unlimited "spend limits", especially ones like afk-arena that rely on getting many duplicates of a character to reach full power. Of course these games tend to be miserable to actually play but they usually get their hooks in enough players to stay profitable anyways.

For example it has two ultra-rare factions called "celestials" and "hypogeans" in a separate "stargazing" gacha, where it costs an average of 25,000 gems per character obtained. It takes 24 dupes to fully max one of them out, or 600k diamonds. There are currently 28 of them. The biggest diamond pack in the game is about 13,000 diamonds for 100 USD.
So just buying diamond packs and pulling the gacha over and over, if a giga whale wanted to max out all those characters it would cost about $129,000.

Plus even more for all the non-stargazer characters in the game. And then the real money they'd pay to speed up leveling all those characters through the super time gated progression mechanics, although that's just mobile-game spending and not "gacha" spending at that point.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm a non-games C++ programmer that dabbles a bit, keeps in touch with the local industry, does the Global Game Jam every so often, that kind of thing. Usually I've mucked around in Unity, so I took a look at Godot.

I found some of the FAQ pretty eyebrow-raising, making me wonder if they know what they're doing.

quote:

Why does Godot not enforce RTTI?

Godot provides its own type-casting system, which can optionally use RTTI internally. Disabling RTTI in Godot means considerably smaller binary sizes can be achieved, at a little performance cost.
It seems a bit weird to hand-roll your own typing system to reduce binary size. I thought art/sound/level assets dwarf the binary size, and storage is cheap.

quote:

Why does Godot not use STL (Standard Template Library)?

Like many other libraries (Qt as an example), Godot does not make use of STL. We believe STL is a great general-purpose library, but we had special requirements for Godot.

STL templates create very large symbols, which results in huge debug binaries. We use few templates with very short names instead.

Most of our containers cater to special needs, like Vector, which uses copy on write and we use to pass data around, or the RID system, which requires O(1) access time for performance. Likewise, our hash map implementations are designed to integrate seamlessly with internal engine types.

Our containers have memory tracking built-in, which helps better track memory usage.

For large arrays, we use pooled memory, which can be mapped to either a preallocated buffer or virtual memory.

We use our custom String type, as the one provided by STL is too basic and lacks proper internationalization support.
std::string internationalisation is fair enough, but the rest seems weird to me (and again with the smaller binaries thing. Why does that matter?)

quote:

Why does Godot not use exceptions?

We believe games should not crash, no matter what. If an unexpected situation happens, Godot will print an error (which can be traced even to script), but then it will try to recover as gracefully as possible and keep going.

Additionally, exceptions significantly increase the binary size for the executable.
Come again? They don't use a certain error-handling technique because they believe games shouldn't have errors? :psyduck:

I'm missing something here, right? Are they perhaps talking about their internal engine code, rather than limitations they impose on game code that is called by their engine?

That said, Unormal porting Caves of Qud like that does inspire confidence that it's not actually an amateurish shambles.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 25, 2023

Orv
May 4, 2011
Makes me think of the stories about Morrowind on Xbox where it was basically perpetually crashing and loading back in behind the scenes. I’m sure Godot has a good reason(????????)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm missing something here, right? Are they perhaps talking about their internal engine code, rather than limitations they impose on game code that is called by their engine?

I believe this is it, they have to talk about what's allowed for the Godot code itself since people can contribute to it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yes that's about the engine. End users are mostly supposed to use C# or their python fork called GDscript.

Godot has the ability to export to html5 to make games that are playable in a web page and for that purpose having a small binary size seems like a big deal. (Of course the developer also needs to optimize their art assets but for pixelly indie games that's not too hard.)

I don't see why other usages would care about it though

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Cool. I'm planning to take some time off over Melbourne Games Week next week and make some stuff with it :)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm a non-games C++ programmer that dabbles a bit, keeps on touch with the local industry, does the Global Game Jam every so often, that kind of thing. Usually I've mucked around in Unity, so I took a look at Godot.

I found some of the FAQ pretty eyebrow-raising, making me wonder if they know what they're doing.

It seems a bit weird to hand-roll your own typing system to reduce binary size. I thought art/sound/level assets dwarf the binary size, and storage is cheap.

std::string internationalisation is fair enough, but the rest seems weird to me (and again with the smaller binaries thing. Why does that matter?)

Come again? They don't use a certain error-handling technique because they believe games shouldn't have errors? :psyduck:

That said, Unormal porting Caves of Qud like that does inspire confidence that it's not actually an amateurish shambles.

Don't attribute unormal's design decisions that made qud easy to port to an engine. He could have just as easily ported to roughly any other engine.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Hyperlynx posted:

i dont know the details for Godot, but because it intends to provide a scripting language on top of writing your own code, it could well be that they get a lot of premature optimizations in binary size from that. i dont know for sure, but it's a relatively minor point since yea storage doesn't matter.

Hyperlynx posted:

the C++ STL is pretty much widely discarded by, uh, everything. there's a lot of historical reasons for that, as well as some REALLY bad performance reasons (std::hashmap im looking at u), so this is honestly relatively commonplace.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

same with exceptions (sorry just wanted to address the points i had high knowledge in first): C++ exceptions are very widely considered super, super bad performantly lol. i dont know all the technical reasons, but there's a famous adage that exceptions don't harm performance so long as they aren't thrown, heheheh

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

same with exceptions (sorry just wanted to address the points i had high knowledge in first): C++ exceptions are very widely considered super, super bad performantly lol. i dont know all the technical reasons, but there's a famous adage that exceptions don't harm performance so long as they aren't thrown, heheheh

... that "adage" isn't a joke. There's no cost to a try block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

leper khan posted:

... that "adage" isn't a joke. There's no cost to a try block.

it's not funny because it's wrong. it's funny because it hurts a primary use case for exceptions - safely and performantly unwinding the stack in case of a runtime error.