Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Reichstag Rishi the Hund Hater

lol how far are we removed from Gary Liniker getting doorstepped for comparing the concentration camps to concentration camps? Two months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

smellmycheese posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1705902272721412155

I guess the culmination of all of this will be armed police being given immunity for murder?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Bigger crimes need bigger guns.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

fuctifino posted:

I guess the culmination of all of this will be armed police being given immunity for murder?

We'll be importing Qualified Immunity from the usa then.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Have they ever came out and said why they felt justified in shooting the guy?

The actual sanitised ‘publicly acceptable’ reason, not the obvious ‘he was Black and we had a gun pointed at him’ reason.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Millibands mildest of milquetoast energy proposals are “eco fanaticism”

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
very serious country for grownups

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Welcome to Northern Ireland... i guess?!?!?! :getin:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angrymog posted:

Did that yelling guy call the Remainers Romans in addition to traitors and cunts?
Someone should tell him that he won.

That part of the reason that everything runs on infinite moral panics about woke bullies and whipped cream gas and gender wars is that leave won and suddenly the media environment needed someone else to blame for everything being poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have they ever came out and said why they felt justified in shooting the guy?

The actual sanitised ‘publicly acceptable’ reason, not the obvious ‘he was Black and we had a gun pointed at him’ reason.

Allegedly he was driving a car implicated in a firearms incident that week and had crashed into another police car, ergo they shot him due to the continued risk to life and why firearms officers were trying to stop him to begin with.

However I think it came out quickly that the car had stopped when they took the shot, so he wasn't a risk to anyone else at that point hence the murder charge.

Also maybe he hadnt even tried to run and the police car crashed into him? I read that at the time too. The reporting on this very quickly stopped reporting on the actual events so the court case will most likely be the first time the actual events come out.

Much like de Menzes though the narrative already exists, regardless of the truth. People still say be jumped the barriers of you ask them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

serious gaylord posted:

Allegedly he was driving a car implicated in a firearms incident that week and had crashed into another police car, ergo they shot him due to the continued risk to life and why firearms officers were trying to stop him to begin with.

However I think it came out quickly that the car had stopped when they took the shot, so he wasn't a risk to anyone else at that point hence the murder charge.

Also maybe he hadnt even tried to run and the police car crashed into him? I read that at the time too. The reporting on this very quickly stopped reporting on the actual events so the court case will most likely be the first time the actual events come out.

Much like de Menzes though the narrative already exists, regardless of the truth. People still say be jumped the barriers of you ask them.

Was there video of this? I remember seeing a video of it? But maybe it was a different one.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mebh posted:

This country is a bit of a mess isn't it?

Aaand the inevitable glide-slope to HS2 finally being pruned into being the thing everyone was emphatic at the start that it shouldn't become- another artery for London. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66905316
When they kill off the Western leg as well as the Eastern one, that basically annihilates any rail traffic routing benefits to non-HS2 lines north of Birmingham, especially the freight, cross country and regional services that need to nip across the WCML and ECML. The biggest journey time improvement in the original scope was Birmingham-Leeds. Not anymore.
I'm going to guess that killing the Western leg then allows them to justify a titchy Euston station with no future-proofing. Incidentally that'll make it infeasible to ever extend HS2 in the future, but that's by-the-by.

It feels like leadership in government used to be about making commitments and pressing forwards with your grand project against all odds. Now in vogue is the idea that the most courageous thing is to capitulate to circumstance. Social and economic circumstances inevitably change, so any undertaking lasting longer than a mayfly has no survival chance.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Endjinneer posted:

It feels like leadership in government used to be about making commitments and pressing forwards with your grand project against all odds. Now in vogue is the idea that the most courageous thing is to capitulate to circumstance. Social and economic circumstances inevitably change, so any undertaking lasting longer than a mayfly has no survival chance.

Now do this but for climate change. We simply can't afford to have a planet to live on because quarterly profits could drop.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
A win for politicians now is when they don't have to engage with voters.
Which is why they barely ever try arguing why some policy or other would be good.
It's also why they capitulate so quickly - there's no need to bother talking to people when you surrender as soon as some oval office in the media the public complain.

It also makes it loving hilarious when political journalists breathlessly state how amazing an orator an MP is. Remember how David Cameron became Tory leader because he could memorise a speech? That's how low the bar was set 15 years ago, and it's got lower since.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Welcome to Northern Ireland... i guess?!?!?! :getin:

Such a welcoming people

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

serious gaylord posted:

The cops also, allegedly, stole his Rolex watch

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Covid jab trip report:
Just had it (4th jab - not sure if it's a booster or counts as new? Can't remember when I last had one, ages ago - didn't have one last winter that I recall).

Comirnaty Original/Omicron BA.4-5 (15/15 micrograms).

Didn't get a little card saying date etc and forgot to ask. I assume it will get uploaded on to the NHS thing you can download in a few days.

They offered me flu jab as well but I declined that one (on account of last time I had it, I was off sick from work along with half the company which had made us have it, for 2 weeks with "flu like symptoms")

They particularly asked whether I was allergic to eggs.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Flu vaccine is commonly cultivated in hen's eggs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Flu jab eat the eggs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bully egg cells

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

smellmycheese posted:

Millibands mildest of milquetoast energy proposals are “eco fanaticism”

Love how the tweet has to specifically say it's a Beano reference and then put "Menace" in inverted commas.

Also, if Labour were to lose a General Election because one politician had (marginally) left wing views, then really that's the fault of the leader.
For example, if one thing causes you to lose then you were never winning in the first place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What, like Keith's brexit policy?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah so Keith is preparing to blame a Jew for Labour losing the election. Typical.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The one thing we didn't want to happen.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

keep punching joe posted:

The one thing we didn't want to happen.

Forgive me but who is "he" and "him" in the many instances of those words in this sentence. I think we can keep "campaigner" and "owner" cause they're clearly different people (or are they???) so can someone do a word replace to make this headline not a sack of poo poo

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Forgive me but who is "he" and "him" in the many instances of those words in this sentence. I think we can keep "campaigner" and "owner" cause they're clearly different people (or are they???) so can someone do a word replace to make this headline not a sack of poo poo

XL bully campaigner is attacked by one of the dogs Jesus is trying to save after 'vicious owner set the animal on the Holy Ghost when Father asked Jesus to put it on a lead'

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

We would have to do a word replace on the entire bastard language.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Anyone who stops me doing what I want is Hitlers, except the people who actually are racist in which case *rolls eyes* oh, woke left comparing everything to Hitler again is it?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Or make the news media recruit more talented journalists...
I'll see myself out.

Charoclere
Jun 16, 2023

Endjinneer posted:

Aaand the inevitable glide-slope to HS2 finally being pruned into being the thing everyone was emphatic at the start that it shouldn't become- another artery for London. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66905316
When they kill off the Western leg as well as the Eastern one, that basically annihilates any rail traffic routing benefits to non-HS2 lines north of Birmingham, especially the freight, cross country and regional services that need to nip across the WCML and ECML. The biggest journey time improvement in the original scope was Birmingham-Leeds. Not anymore.
I'm going to guess that killing the Western leg then allows them to justify a titchy Euston station with no future-proofing. Incidentally that'll make it infeasible to ever extend HS2 in the future, but that's by-the-by.

Even if it does finally manage to chug into Euston, HS2 is pointless because it doesn't connect to HS1. The only reason HS2 is HS to begin with is so that it could be part of the big continental network, so European businessmen and investors having their "welcome to Britain!" moment being a half-mile trudge down the pavement from St. Pancras means that HS2 failed even before it left the station.

And why did we bother anyway? Outside the statistical anomalies of microstates like the Vatican, the UK is the third-most densely populated country in Europe, behind only Belgium and the Netherlands - England on its own is the second-most densely populated country in Europe. High-speed rail was always ludicrously overengineered for a small and congested country like ours. We could have delivered twice as much capacity for half the cost, and much less environmental damage demanded by the straight high-speed lines carving through the countryside, by laying standard track for normal trains. HS2 was always a political vanity project for both the Labour government that planned it and the Tory government that approved it, and it should never have been commissioned in the first place.

Charoclere fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 24, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

serious gaylord posted:

Just watched a Sky News bit they did on it back in Dec last year.
The cop was suspended a week after, so they know they hosed up somewhere.
Seeing they haven't released poo poo about the timeline what happened, its looking to be another De Menzes, where the armed response unit was probably given the impression he had a gun in the car.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Un militant du groupe XL Bully est attaqué par l'un des chiens qu'il tente de sauver après qu'un 《propriétaire vicieux lui ait lancé l'animal alors qu'il lui demandait de le mettre en laisse》:france:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/stefmowords/status/1705961462106108314

It's like watching the board of Frank Reynold's company talk about how yes he may be a vicious dinosaur but he certainly cleared a path for them at the top.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
As the CEO of Torment Nexus Inc. he gave us a world of suffering beyond previous imagination - but at the same time we must laud his dedication to accomplishing his vision, truly an inspiration for us all.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/stefmowords/status/1705961462106108314

It's like watching the board of Frank Reynold's company talk about how yes he may be a vicious dinosaur but he certainly cleared a path for them at the top.

mrpwase posted:

Un militant du groupe XL Bully est attaqué par l'un des chiens qu'il tente de sauver après qu'un 《propriétaire vicieux lui ait lancé l'animal alors qu'il lui demandait de le mettre en laisse》:france:

That's excellent, or as the French say, bonnet de douche

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He was an innovator of replacing boring well investigated news with partisan populist opinion.

We would never have had Elon Musk's X without him.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
at least put something like this on your loving t-shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes I may have committed murder, but you cannot deny that by doing it five hundred times I demonstrated incredible ambition?