Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

Phigs posted:

Please nobody elaborate on the Pentiment spoiler even in tags. This discussion just made me earmark it for purchase this sale out of curiosity and I'm too broke-brained not to hover over spoilers.

Made you look. Anyway bought Rainworld from that fanatical sale, anyone have any good tips for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Idiootti posted:

Made you look. Anyway bought Rainworld from that fanatical sale, anyone have any good tips for the game?

Play on keyboard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

lol,16GB RAM Recommended for MGS1

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Let's compare that to the store page of the original PC version of MGS1 on GOG:
Minimum system requirements:
System:
Windows 7 / 8 / 10
Processor:
1.8 GHz
Memory:
2 GB RAM
Graphics:
3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9.0c and 256 MB VRAM
Storage:
1 GB

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm out of the loop, is this a port or remaster?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Serephina posted:

I'm out of the loop, is this a port or remaster?

New port of the PS1 version, more likely an emulation of the PS1 version. No idea why the requirements are so high though.
They're also porting the PS3/360 versions of MGS2&3, they're in the same bundle as MGS1

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Begemot posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not even sure what twist they're talking about with Pentiment.

I loved the game with absolutely no reservations, it's fantastic. Has the most gorgeous fonts you'll ever see in a video game.

Yeah. There is more than one big moment in the game and whilst knowing may change your experience slightly it certainly won't ruin the game.
Everything about it is so well done, one of the best games I have ever played.

It's on Game Pass as well.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

So I've been playing Astrea Six-Sided Oracles for a couple hours, managed to win my first run a few minutes ago. Astrea is very good! You should buy it, let me tell you why. It's an indie deckbuilder roguelike like Slay the Spire or Monster Train, but instead of using cards, it uses over 750 different six-sided dice spread throughout six very different characters. Since everyone who's at all interested in the genre has already played Slay the Spire and the runs have a very similar pattern to that game's (branching paths culminating on a final boss, run-modifying trinkets, merchants, multiple-choice events, fights against elite or normal enemies, three acts, etc.), let me go over the main mechanical differences:

- Purification and Corruption
Instead of using a health bar, characters and enemies have a Corruption meter, which doubles as an exploitable resource for the player. Every damage effect deals either Purification or Corruption. Purification heals and Corruption damages the player, while the reverse is true for enemies. Usually, they deal corruption while you deal both types of damage. Extremely powerful dice might have more than half of their faces showing corruption results and you MUST play them before ending your turn.
The interesting part here is that every character has special abilities at certain thresholds on their Corruption meter, and you can only activate them if the corruption damage you take makes you go over those threshholds.
They take this idea even further and allow you to reuse those same abilities again if you manage to heal your way back past the threshold and then go over it again through damage, which means you're usually playing it fast and loose with your health bar. You have three hearts and getting your health bar fully depleted consumes a heart before healing you back to full; you only lose if you lose all your hearts - there's a bunch of ways to get them back, but you heal back to full if you complete a chapter, which incentivizes you to be very aggressive against bosses.

- Action Economy
There's no energy or equivalent resource, you can play as many dice as you can draw, which can lead to some very fun combo turns where you play a die to copy a another die you already rolled which it in turn allows you to draw another two dice, etc. Enemies have interesting gimmicks (some of which are familiar if you've played StS) so it feels like you're fighting bullshit with bullshit when it comes to most bosses.

- Die Faces
Not all dice are made equal. You have safe (wholly or overwhelmingly positive dice with low value faces, for cowards), risky (high risk, high reward for the gambling connoisseur) and balanced (decent reward with some risk) and you can customize the faces on those dice through merchants or other dice, like swapping corruption values for purification (even on enemy dice!), adding new abilities or straight up removing negative faces to make a die totally safe*. It's kinda similar to what Monster Train does, where the value assessment for a change goes beyond 'do I want to remove this card y/n'.

*in most cases, there are a few very nasty results you can't get rid of it and you better have some rerolls in hand for those.

- Sentinels
You can have up to two sentinels, essentially allies who aren't directly targeted (but can be hit by AOE attacks) and provide you with extra dice and abilities to complement your build or just shore up some of your weak points. Not 100% sold on the attack sentinels yet, but they get pretty strong when you pair them with the dedicated sentinel character.

- Metaprogression
There are five characters to unlock and as you play they level up, unlocking new dice and blessings (artifacts) that get added to the pool. There's a sort of ascension system but I haven't interacted with it yet.

-Presentation
It's very pretty and the enemy designs are very interesting. Despite not being native speakers the text and descriptions don't seem to have any translation issues or anything of the sort.

-Quibbles
- Some encounters are noticeable difficulty spikes.
- Seems like not every buff or debuff is reflected on the UI which means there may be times when you aren't 100% sure why something did as much or as little damage as it did. I wish there was a combat log for that stuff or better UI tracking of those modifiers.
- The UI to check all the faces of a die is a bit clunky (right click on each individual die), I wish it was a hover instead.

A review defined it as Slay the Spire for gambling addicts and it's pretty accurate - I already lost a bunch of times because I kept rerolling looking for an even better turn and getting burned by 20+ self-inflicted corruption, whoops :downs: Anyways, it's a solid 9, go buy it! For another cheap take on a roguelike dice game, go buy Slice & Dice on itch.io, now that's a 10 out of 10. By the way, forgive any mistakes, it's literally 5:30 AM here but I couldn't stop playing this fuckin' game!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unity backpedals even more, to terms that are actually reasonable
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/09/unity-makes-major-changes-to-controversial-install-fee-program/

- Only for projects that upgrade to or start with the 2024 version of Unity
- fee per user (per platform) OR 2,5% of revenue, whichever is lower
- only for games with $1 million in revenue (last year) and 1 million users (lifetime)

If they had started with that, there would have been some grumbling, but most devs would have stuck with them. Now they've lost all trust and have the EU regulators looking into their spyware suite

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's going on here? Is Blake Stone worth negative money?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's good if you like 2D FPSes

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chas McGill posted:

What's going on here? Is Blake Stone worth negative money?

Bigger discount and blake stone is $2 not on sale.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Azran posted:

So I've been playing Astrea Six-Sided Oracles for a couple hours, managed to win my first run a few minutes ago. Astrea is very good!

This looks so fun. Anyone played it on the Deck?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Speaking of, I finished Turbo Overkill yesternight and goddamn if it doesn't belong amongst the greats. It is on the same level as DUSK, Quake and the good Doom. Game just keeps escalating forever.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

some stuff that will be in Next Fest on Oct 9th:

- American Arcadia as mentioned before
- Another Crab's Treasure (dev of Going Under)
- Arksync
- Bankwave: Neon Networth
- Cody's Nightmare
- Cowboy 3030
- Enshrouded
- Jackbox Party Pack 10 (i THINK)
- Rift of the NecroDancer
- Robocraft 2
- Vinebound

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Idiootti posted:

Anyway bought Rainworld from that fanatical sale, anyone have any good tips for the game?

Eat and sleep and pay attention to the little meter that moves when you sleep.

Most monster can be avoided and you probably should.

Most animals that aren't trying to eat you have some use you can take advantage of. Same with non-edible plants.

Don't get discouraged because you died to something stupid. That's just part of the game.

Monk is advertised as easy mode and it sort of is but its not as dramatic a change as you might expect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ZearothK posted:

Pentiment is a really special game, but there's something structural I dislike about it that I can't talk about without spoilers.
I have one I can mention without spoilers. I hate hate hate branching adventure games that don't let you save before a checkpoint. It adds additional stress to playing: "Can I afford to take this interesting plot path, or would I lose all of my progress so far if I did?" I don't want to play the whole drat first act again because I screwed up a choice fifteen conversations ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have one I can mention without spoilers. I hate hate hate branching adventure games that don't let you save before a checkpoint. It adds additional stress to playing: "Can I afford to take this interesting plot path, or would I lose all of my progress so far if I did?" I don't want to play the whole drat first act again because I screwed up a choice fifteen conversations ago.

It doesn’t work like that, though—there aren’t any choices that give you an early game over or lock you out of having interesting content in the future. At launch the thread was filled with people’s great experiences and I don’t think any two people made all the same choices.

If you are a completion-craving sort then yeah you have to replay the (great) game taking different paths, but there’s no “lose all my progress” risk. You just end up on another, also interesting path.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sigh, Steam (with no windows open) held a video wake lock all night and kept my OLED from turning off. I guess I’ll get off the beta and see if that helps, but really Steam videos are not so important that they should prevent sleeping, so they should just disable the thing in Chromium that takes wake locks on videos at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn’t work like that, though—there aren’t any choices that give you an early game over or lock you out of having interesting content in the future. At launch the thread was filled with people’s great experiences and I don’t think any two people made all the same choices.

Oh, I wasn't expecting a full lockout. It's more "Yipes, I made the old woman in the well angry, and I realized that I didn't want to do that." (Not a spoiler; I made up the woman in the well.) I want to be able to get to a decision and go "Okay, save now, if I don't like the consequences I can move back a step." It is also vital when you want to preserve a saved game that is already past the intro, which is now skippable but wasn't when I played.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’m saying that the game doesn’t really have consequences that you should avoid. A big part of the experience, speaking here as an inveterate save-summer, is having to live with the consequences of your decisions and seeing how those effects spread through the community.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Continued fallout from the Unity stuff; BallisticNG, a successful WipeOut clone, just posted this on their steam news page:

Moving forward after the Unity debacle

People often joke about how some PR disaster is gonna cost some company tons of money, but the depressing reality seems to be that there's often no real repercussions. This time tho it's great to see the delicious schadenfreude-laden aftereffects.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Serephina posted:

Continued fallout from the Unity stuff; BallisticNG, a successful WipeOut clone, just posted this on their steam news page:

People often joke about how some PR disaster is gonna cost some company tons of money, but the depressing reality seems to be that there's often no real repercussions. This time tho it's great to see the delicious schadenfreude-laden aftereffects.

you know unity hosed up hard when game devs have to announce bad news and the steam forums aren't making GBS threads on them for it and instead supporting them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Serephina posted:

mmm

the developers posted:

However, Nintendo has a rolling Unity version requirement for game releases

I wonder if that's going to last

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wish someone made a new Killer Loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iNE9QCUFWo&t=16s

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, I wasn't expecting a full lockout. It's more "Yipes, I made the old woman in the well angry, and I realized that I didn't want to do that." (Not a spoiler; I made up the woman in the well.) I want to be able to get to a decision and go "Okay, save now, if I don't like the consequences I can move back a step." It is also vital when you want to preserve a saved game that is already past the intro, which is now skippable but wasn't when I played.
I'm not gonna suggest that all story-focused games should work this way, but IMO in Pentiment it is essential to the narrative the game wants to tell that you have to make decisions with only partial information, and then live with them. Letting you see the result and then go back if you don't like it would take away some of what the game is trying to say.

I'd be cool with letting you do that after you finish the game once, but for a first playthrough, the game's save system is the right one.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Sep 24, 2023

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was on ayahuasca this weekend and realized all first person games are an attempt at compartmentalizing and refining Garry's Mod.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ZearothK posted:

I was on ayahuasca this weekend and realized all first person games are an attempt at compartmentalizing and refining Garry's Mod.

Alright, and do they succeed?

It’s funny to me that garry’s mod exists separately from the cat people adventure game visual novel because that’s how I experienced it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ZearothK posted:

Or is Garry's Mod an attempt at integrating and generalizing all first person games?

:thunk:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

clicked off the "recent activity" filter, took a look at my actual library of games and i am horrified at the amount random poo poo i apparently have on here. where did it all come from? am i me?

anyways time to buy some games brb

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just made it to the second tree in Void Stranger and so far it's a fun Sokoban game with great music... Do I need to be taking notes for my first go through? So far I've taken a screenshot of a pattern. Should I be writing down cliff notes from the cut scenes and exposition dumps?

I'm mainly wondering if I'm gonna get hard stuck at some point, but don't wanna check the game thread in case I get spoilered.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trucker Hat posted:

I just made it to the second tree in Void Stranger and so far it's a fun Sokoban game with great music... Do I need to be taking notes for my first go through? So far I've taken a screenshot of a pattern. Should I be writing down cliff notes from the cut scenes and exposition dumps?

I'm mainly wondering if I'm gonna get hard stuck at some point, but don't wanna check the game thread in case I get spoilered.

screenshots of the brands are a good start

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Trucker Hat posted:

Personally, I regret not keeping a Google Doc or leatherbound journal with one page for each floor

That's probably overkill, but noting down, like, everything will serve you will if you intend to plumb the depths of the game. (I just got my first credits like hours ago, but I took a circuitous route to get there)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I am turning out to be really really bad at Astrea and haven't won the opening level once. Does anybody have suggestions on an effective strategy for the first character? Should I always be forging or always be companioning or taking fewer dice or what?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arghhh my brain is doing the thing again. I want to play monster hunter. I own and enjoy monster hunter world. I want to start a new character and play from scratch. But my brain is all "unless you buy iceborne you can't even install it. Complete the game or bust" I know Iceborne is endgame content! aaa!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Arghhh my brain is doing the thing again. I want to play monster hunter. I own and enjoy monster hunter world. I want to start a new character and play from scratch. But my brain is all "unless you buy iceborne you can't even install it. Complete the game or bust" I know Iceborne is endgame content! aaa!

My brain is trying to get me to buy Rise and its expansion even though I haven't even really started playing World yet. On some level I just want to own all the bits of something. Paradox and Frontier have so much of my money with their drat modular DLCs. I can't possibly play Planet Zoo unless I have ALL the animals.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

My brain is trying to get me to buy Rise and its expansion even though I haven't even really started playing World yet. On some level I just want to own all the bits of something. Paradox and Frontier have so much of my money with their drat modular DLCs. I can't possibly play Planet Zoo unless I have ALL the animals.

I am - thank god - mostly immune to cosmetic DLC so I'm safe there but ahhhh i also want rise!!!! Will I play it this year? No! But I want it anyways!!!!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Rise is cool but World is a straight-up better game, play it first!! It also still has more active players than Rise does.

e: Unless you really want to play solo with 3 AI companions, which is only in Rise. But in World enemies scale based on number of players so they're both easy to play solo in.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'd rank base World over base Rise but Sunbreak is way better than Iceborne