Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Weaponized Autism posted:

They're recruiting replacements for a much lower salary.

Technically true as they bring in consultants who get paid by the hour (at a rate that is effectively 3x salary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I used to work with a guy who was getting called while he was with his wife who was in the hospital actively delivering a baby

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
So yay, I got a job! Now I'm fighting with the background check company, HR and the community college I got a medical transcription certificate from 20+ years ago. CC wouldn't let me see my unofficial transcript until I sent them proof I was a US citizen when I took the courses. I finally get my unofficial transcript, show the HR lady who is like, ok I see you passed but I need the graduation papers.

:crackping:

I had to call the CC, and the guy I got is pretty good and also bewildered at HR lady. He tells me he's going to call his supervisor about it because she knows way more about the vocational programs. For the record, it was a learn at your own pace thing the CC offered and as we completed the course we got a certificate. Unfortunately, I was living with my parents at the time, and my mom was a category 5 hoarder and she took the certificate and put it in a "safe place" and I never saw it again.

This job is front desk for construction equipment rentals.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

tactlessbastard posted:

I used to work with a guy who was getting called while he was with his wife who was in the hospital actively delivering a baby

My wife just had to fire a guy who has a wife with terminal cancer and on experimental treatments. Unlimited psychic damage.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lazyfire posted:

My wife just had to fire a guy who has a wife with terminal cancer and on experimental treatments. Unlimited psychic damage.

The hell? That is not good, for layoffs or performance reasons?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Granted I've almost exclusively worked for scummy silicon valley tech companies but I've seen this thing happen a few times where the business is afraid some lower level worker might take FMLA leave soon, so they find a reason to fire them. It's always been a sort of unwritten rule at these places that you should file for FMLA immediately if you think it might be needed, before telling anyone there about the reasons why. They're so obsessed with running everything on the smallest crew they can that they don't want to take the risk of having someone on staff with an undetermined return date

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pyrtanis posted:

So yay, I got a job! Now I'm fighting with the background check company, HR and the community college I got a medical transcription certificate from 20+ years ago. CC wouldn't let me see my unofficial transcript until I sent them proof I was a US citizen when I took the courses. I finally get my unofficial transcript, show the HR lady who is like, ok I see you passed but I need the graduation papers.

:crackping:

This job is front desk for construction equipment rentals.

Oh Jesus loving Christ. Yes medical transcription is so very necessary.

I finally found out where to get help with vocational rehab in Kansas after the dude from the USA career (the federal government project that throws money at helping people find stable jobs, etc) place wouldn’t let me make an appointment and was unable to tell me who to talk to regarding uptraining and stuff.

It is the department for children and families. I had to apply for SNAP in order to find out. I loving hate this country. Just incompetence and greed all the way through.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Bored posted:

I loving hate this country. Just incompetence and greed all the way through.

Hey now, that's not true.

Spite and laziness do a lot of heavy lifting.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

goatface posted:

Nobody said "crank it raw"?

That’s what they all mean, everyone’s just being honest about where they do it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Before my time at my current gig, they had a long time upper manager (15+ years) whose spouse developed some likely fatal disease. The employee was taking their spouse for experimental treatment at the Mayo Clinic or some place like that when we had a huge emergency (non emergency) and they called employee to come back.

Employee told them to gently caress off and threw the company phone out the window.

The day employee came back they were waiting to write her up for losing her phone but they didn’t get to it because she only came back to quit in person to tell them to gently caress off again.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Giving them ideas about how to get people to return to the office (however briefly).

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Outrail posted:

Hey now, that's not true.

Spite and laziness do a lot of heavy lifting.

Ah, this is also very true.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

It's very weird to try to describe how to navigate screens in SAP from memory while you have been pounding back shots of Wayne Gretzky's whiskey in a dive bar with your adopted son/bartender named Cale for the last six hours, but I pulled it off.

Wait, there's a Wayne Gr

Lazyfire posted:

One morning I got my pant legs caught in a fence during my morning run and broke literally all my front teeth and nose in the resulting faceplant. I was lucky enough to get emergency dental care (the nose has been broken for 20 years, it actually got straighter from this), and even though I told my boss I would be out of things for the day I still got the above message. I sent him a picture of me with a mouth full of bloody cotton and the word "busy" which seemed to be enough at the time.

Next day it was all "why not done" stuff.

Oh. Well, topical at least.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The hell? That is not good, for layoffs or performance reasons?

Kinda both. As the layoffs get further in the rearview a few stories have started to flow out from management. I happen to work for one the people who doesn't think there should be any hidden knowledge about strategy or decision making, so anything his boss tells him he tells us. That's how I know the new VP of the business unit had singled out my wife's boss to be included in the layoff. In the case of the guy-who-has-a-dying-wife it was pretty well known that he was not well loved by my wife's boss' boss as he had been telling my wife to fire him pretty much since she took this job. Here's the thing: my wife didn't really like him either. He had, at multiple times, told my wife that he should have her job and each time they met for one on one discussions he would demand a level jump and/or promotion. He's in his 50's with grown kids and I think it galled him to have a boss in her mid-30's who had not worked for the site until then. I heard more complaints about this guy in the last year than any of the other 11 people working for her; more than anyone else at the site.

My wife had to tell his primary customer about him being laid off and they were PISSED at the company partially because of the wife's cancer treatments, but also because the guy had been the main contact for the customer for the last six years and was able to get things done for them and they relied on his knowledge of the product and, like every customer, liked having A Person dedicated to them full time. Now they'll be one of three customers handled by someone who knows nothing about their parts.

Volmarias posted:

Wait, there's a Wayne Gr

Yeah, it's called like 99 Whiskey or something to that effect. It's, naturally, a Canadian product and I haven't seen it in a store. It was good enough I would buy a bottle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These are both questions from the same final exam in this google e-commerce certification course.

The "Websites typically take more time to create than slideshow presentations" answer is only correct if the "Portfolio websites can be created using website builders like Google Sites or Wix" answer is not available.

Glad to be done with this dumbass cert :hellyeah:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would be sending them snippy emails about the poo poo nature of their exam questions portfolio.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

goatface posted:

I would be sending them snippy emails about the poo poo nature of their exam questions portfolio.
Working as intended, will not fix.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I would actually like to talk with the human being that decided that was the correct answer. See what's going on up there

This is of course assuming a person decided that that was the answer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At work event and talked to a guy who funds snake expedition research as his hobby and gave me way, way more information about snake toxins and how their bites work than I think I need in life.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

He's the VP of the department you're transferred into if you don't go to Singapore.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Viper Professional

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Car Hater posted:

Viper Professional

I am... The Viper. I am here to vipe your vindows.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He apparently discovered a new species last month and it bit him and he laughed while everyone else looked on horrified as he told the story

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Barudak posted:

At work event and talked to a guy who funds snake expedition research as his hobby and gave me way, way more information about snake toxins and how their bites work than I think I need in life.

So you’re saying he and I would get along great. I could tell him way to much about companion animal parasites found on/in our pets in the US, then explain in detail how the various treatments work to kill the parasites.

None of this applies to any jobs I’ve been applying to because vet clinics don’t pay a living wage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You will never go wrong being friends with a snake enthusiast. The more cynical might assume this is because they know a lot about venom to either poison you or save you from poisoning.

But really it's just anyone who can muster sympathy and enthusiasm for a big muscular tube of a herptile commonly full of nerve agent are the most genuine people you can endeavor to meet.

Filling your resume space with hobbies is usually a fool's errand but if you include herpetology I'm gonna be all ears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The alien reptile class controlling the c suite: broke
Someone working for the weekend at which point they go a froggin: woke

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Several years ago, I bombed an interview for a temp position because there was a black vulture chilling on the other side of the tinted window in the room, so I got to look at it pretty closely.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Barudak posted:

He apparently discovered a new species last month and it bit him and he laughed while everyone else looked on horrified as he told the story

This guy sounds like an absolute find: not only did you and he speak at a work event about something other than work, but he actually had something genuinely interesting to talk about.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

I told my management I'm going on vacation at the end of next month back on Tuesday. With the layoffs and the weird spot my programs are in right now it means anyone trying to cover for me is in for a world of pain and they are looking to spread my responsibilities over several people during my time away.

I had no backup from 2020 to late 2021 where they finally got me someone who could take at least a few of the requests that came my way. I didn't think about it overly much at the time, but if I got COVID and had to be in the hospital for any length of time the entire department would have shut down due to a lack of materials. Even when I got to go on vacation I still got calls every day asking how to handle something or how to perform a function. It's very weird to try to describe how to navigate screens in SAP from memory while you have been pounding back shots of Wayne Gretzky's whiskey in a dive bar with your adopted son/bartender named Cale for the last six hours, but I pulled it off. I've been told that when I take time off this year I won't be bothered and I'm calling their bluff on that by leaving my work phone at home.

Why would you even answer the phone? If you don't want to be bothered in your own time, train your management that their call just so coincided with you playing raquetball/diving/dancing/masturbating/sleeping and thus it wasn't even on you and you give no fucks because you were busy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Another department is now also composed entirely of a single load bearing employee, but this time it's on purpose. It's actually even worse than it sounds, to give a dox-lite comparison imagine if there was only one person in the entire company with keys to the server room.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 24, 2023

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Bored posted:

None of this applies to any jobs I’ve been applying to because vet clinics don’t pay a living wage.

Ain't this the truth. My partner worked at a vet clinic for almost ten years and the pay was abysmal- like, I made more and had better benefits back when I worked retail at Best Buy - and this is for a position that deals with medications, animals who bite and scratch, lifting huge heavy dogs, and counselling people on the death of their pet.

She's a teacher at an art school now, and laughs every time they have an 'emergency' at the school. An art school emergency she could fix while standing on her head.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Weird, given how loving expensive vet bills are.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

Weird, given how loving expensive vet bills are.

Without any knowledge on the subject, does the US healthcare system have any parallels?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

In my extremely limited personal experience (3 years working as a 'vet assistant') It would go straight into the doctor's paycheck or rent for the building. I've known 0 people who have been treated well and paid well working at a vet's place.

For thread contribution, some things I enjoyed working for the piece of poo poo I knew as "The Doctor" I got to enjoy:

Rampant mysogyny
Being laughed out of the room when I asked for a raise to keep up with rising rent costs
Watching a worried family be told that their bird's fatal condition (egg binding) would "Fix itself in a few days". Yes, by killing the bird. Yes, I went on break and called the family and told them to go to an emergency bird vet.
Came in to find a dead animal on the floor of the kennels multiple times because he insisted they should 'stay overnight for monitoring'. No one manned the building between 6pm and 6am.
Rampant homophobia
Witnessing a client punch his dog in the face for barking in the room, only to be scolded by The Doctor when I reported it (asking how to report this) because this Client was His Friend and we would Do No Such Thing.
Being coerced into doing a surgical procedure of removing a mass from an eyelid because 'your eyes are better than mine'.
Being in charge of counting the Phenobarbitol, without proper training, license nor anything outside of 'count pills'. When I inherited the task, the count was off.
Being accused of stealing the Phenobarbitol, when he caught me closing the safe as he was going out to lunch because he constantly left it open.
Rampant racism
Being accused of 'trying to kill an animal' when I was told to give it an IV drip and was given instructions once several months prior, with no practice (and thus I did it wrong).
Having to go without gloves while trying to restrain lucid, angry animals while holding them still for x rays. Of course I always got the bitey end.
Being warned that if I don't treat the 9 cat bites I just got from a feral cat in the clinic he will fire me.
Having a coworker sexually assault me (slap my rear end) and after I started yelling at them for it, having the Doctor come to intervene on my attacker's behalf.
And many, many more.

Do not work at a veterinary clinic if you value yourself. They are entirely 'self regulated' and we all know how well that does in capitalism.

Edit: Yes, we didn't have cremation ovens but he didn't want to pay to empty 'the freezer' so we often had to break bones to make more animals fit into the freezer. This was considered normal at this vet. We had an outside cremation service to call whenever we wanted them to pick up. At least we made sure everyone was properly tagged and labelled.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 24, 2023

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Chaosfeather posted:

In my extremely limited personal experience (3 years working as a 'vet assistant') It would go straight into the doctor's paycheck or rent for the building. I've known 0 people who have been treated well and paid well working at a vet's place.

For thread contribution, some things I enjoyed working for the piece of poo poo I knew as "The Doctor" I got to enjoy:

Rampant mysogyny
Being laughed out of the room when I asked for a raise to keep up with rising rent costs
Watching a worried family be told that their bird's fatal condition (egg binding) would "Fix itself in a few days". Yes, by killing the bird. Yes, I went on break and called the family and told them to go to an emergency bird vet.
Came in to find a dead animal on the floor of the kennels multiple times because he insisted they should 'stay overnight for monitoring'. No one manned the building between 6pm and 6am.
Rampant homophobia
Witnessing a client punch his dog in the face for barking in the room, only to be scolded by The Doctor when I reported it (asking how to report this) because this Client was His Friend and we would Do No Such Thing.
Being coerced into doing a surgical procedure of removing a mass from an eyelid because 'your eyes are better than mine'.
Being in charge of counting the Phenobarbitol, without proper training, license nor anything outside of 'count pills'. When I inherited the task, the count was off.
Being accused of stealing the Phenobarbitol, when he caught me closing the safe as he was going out to lunch because he constantly left it open.
Rampant racism
Being accused of 'trying to kill an animal' when I was told to give it an IV drip and was given instructions once several months prior, with no practice (and thus I did it wrong).
Having to go without gloves while trying to restrain lucid, angry animals while holding them still for x rays. Of course I always got the bitey end.
Being warned that if I don't treat the 9 cat bites I just got from a feral cat in the clinic he will fire me.
Having a coworker sexually assault me (slap my rear end) and after I started yelling at them for it, having the Doctor come to intervene on my attacker's behalf.
And many, many more.

Do not work at a veterinary clinic if you value yourself. They are entirely 'self regulated' and we all know how well that does in capitalism.

My ex is a vet-tech and she has an awesome time. Her place is employee owned though.

E:it's still soul destroying though. She had to figure out how to cremate a great Dane that was too big for their oven.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Looking forward to the follow up post after you did some whistleblowing and sued goddamn

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

WebDO posted:

Looking forward to the follow up post after you did some whistleblowing and sued goddamn

Unfortunately this was a decade ago, and the man was also Mayor of the City I lived in. I simply got out, and he sold his practice a couple years after. There is still a vet clinic there and allegedly the new vet is lovely for different reasons. I look forward to pissing on The Doctor's grave.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Splicer posted:

Another department is now also composed entirely of a single load bearing employee, but this time it's on purpose. It's actually even worse than it sounds, to give a dox-lite comparison imagine if there was only one person in the entire company with keys to the server room.

Can you give a Darwin Award to an entire company?

E:

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

E:it's still soul destroying though. She had to figure out how to cremate a great Dane that was too big for their oven.

Sandi Tosksvig’s dead? When did this happen…?

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 25, 2023

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My ex is a vet-tech and she has an awesome time. Her place is employee owned though.

I got a elderly Newfoundland dog and now I'm sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Splicer posted:

it's ok when one of them leaves they can just hire some new sap at half the wage the other person was making to fill in the lack of institutional knowledge

another MBA trick they don't want you to learn about since it saves a lot of money they just are keeping themselves useful yknow