Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man I know I'm nowhere near as far in GTNH as y'all, but this?

This felt good. :kimchi:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Hell yeah. It's quick jaunt from there through LV and MV to HV which is where most of the content opens up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH has a LOT of forked, modified versions of mods (since 1.7.10 is largely abandonware.) In order to reconcile this, the pack has to have a secondary downloader pull down the changed mods. This process is fragile and Curseforge will randomly screw it up by overwriting mods, so it's unreliable.
GTNH has managed to port their 1.7.10 pack to the latest JRE. That's how custom things are. They also backport all kinds of newer features to 1.7.10 mods.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Kyrosiris posted:

Nice work! It's gonna feel even more amazing when you smelt your first aluminum in an EBF!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Finally got into compact machines. Love when Minecraft is Satisfactory. Extremely good poo poo.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

now use it to make more

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks for the GTNe tips; I switched over to the Technic Launcher and it’s running wonderfully.

It even says it in one of the early quests not to use CurseForge :doh:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Wow, they've added a lot in the past few years!

I've barely been able to enjoy a video game due to work; sitting down and playing a new seed for a few hours is very therapeutic. What IndustrialCraft-type (or other?!) mods are still good? I see people talking about GregTech in here, but I miss making absurd poo poo like nuclear reactors.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Waffle House posted:

Wow, they've added a lot in the past few years!

I've barely been able to enjoy a video game due to work; sitting down and playing a new seed for a few hours is very therapeutic. What IndustrialCraft-type (or other?!) mods are still good? I see people talking about GregTech in here, but I miss making absurd poo poo like nuclear reactors.

Find a pack with NuclearCraft if you want to mess with more mathy type reactors. BiggerReactors and its predecessor are both still quite common to see but is much simpler.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
I haven't played GTNH in about 7 weeks now and I've forgotten what I was going to do. Set up AE I guess? But how was I going to power it? 🤔

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Started up ATM8 again, seems they swapped around a bunch of mods. This time I'm going to go for the ATM star. A seed I came up with has a pretty great start.

Big ol' Ars Nouveau forest.

Right in front of a pillager windmill

And on the island is a sizeable village with a thornbloom tower looming over it. Pretty sizeable cavern system under all this and across the ocean is a good amount of varied biomes that aren't just plains, grasslands (plains with some hills) and forests (plains with trees) for 10k blocks

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ughhh, loving CurseForge. They're now using Cloudflare to block GDLauncher (a piece of software they have a partnership with) from downloading mods. Of course, GDLauncher just imploded my install because of it. Should have backed it up. Only really lost my Sound Muffler settings and maybe some minimap, but still annoying.

Time to switch to Prism Launcher, I guess. Fuckin' hell.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Eh just use curse forge launcher, it’s not that bad and works basically like the old twitch launcher did.

It can be configured to fully exit and also shut down the overwolf service when it does. So I just run it for like 30 seconds to launch a pack, and then close it.

The ads are actually non intrusive normal ads from reputable companies too, not that adfly malware adjacent crap that was popular for a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It absolutely thrashes my hard drive while active for some reason, don't know why. Also the search function is pretty crap, really doesn't like you searching for mods rather than modpacks.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Echophonic posted:

Ughhh, loving CurseForge. They're now using Cloudflare to block GDLauncher (a piece of software they have a partnership with) from downloading mods. Of course, GDLauncher just imploded my install because of it. Should have backed it up. Only really lost my Sound Muffler settings and maybe some minimap, but still annoying.

Time to switch to Prism Launcher, I guess. Fuckin' hell.
This is why I always duplicate the instance and upgrade the duplicate. Also this might be temporary, they've had cloudflare stuff that prevented gdlauncher form wokring before but it didn't last forever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zereth posted:

This is why I always duplicate the instance and upgrade the duplicate. Also this might be temporary, they've had cloudflare stuff that prevented gdlauncher form wokring before but it didn't last forever.

Yeah, I usually do, but it's been a bit since I had an issue, so I got complacent.

This looked very specific, it was a browser fingerprint rejection, not just CloudFlare being dumb. I 100% do not want to encourage that behavior and conceding to CurseForge's launcher.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 22, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

VegasGoat posted:

Eh just use curse forge launcher, it’s not that bad and works basically like the old twitch launcher did.

it sucks dude

Ketchupface
Aug 1, 2010

VegasGoat posted:

It can be configured to fully exit and also shut down the overwolf service when it does. So I just run it for like 30 seconds to launch a pack, and then close it.

The ads are actually non intrusive normal ads from reputable companies too, not that adfly malware adjacent crap that was popular for a while.

you've been in this thread long enough to know why the curseforge launcher sucks. like it only looks like a viable alternative because overwolf has been doing insanely scummy poo poo with curseforge that amazon wasn't doing when they owned the platform. that's dire. if your main positive is "well the ads aren't that bad" then idk what to tell you king

meanwhile picking up prism after a year or so off of modding minecraft and i can safely say that the launcher rips now. they added the one and only feature that i missed from curseforge/twitch (migrating an instance to a new version when updating) and it seems to generally work way better than how that other launcher handled it. plus it feels very foss and i havent seen a single stupid loving embedded video advertisement. i really dont see any reason to recommend another minecraft launcher outside of inertia

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Forgot how awesome it was to just find and explore a solid cave network after several brutal nights with just stone tools in a vanilla survival game. I'm getting that 2010 feeling all over again.

Did Microsoft sunset the ability to just use a downloaded skin? I miss my Isaac Clarke skin...

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Curseforge does ad revenue sharing with the mod authors, and I don't find the ads annoying, so that's what I use.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:sickos:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This is a great feeling. There's a ton of ways to screw this up, and seeing the first ingot land validates all of your hard work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is a great feeling. There's a ton of ways to screw this up, and seeing the first ingot land validates all of your hard work.

I hosed up two ingots of raw aluminium first, so. :v:

Turns out my piping to my turbines wasn't robust enough so it was gassing out at like halfway into the cook. Live and learn. :shobon:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Any active servers running modded of moderate intensity on a fairly recent version (1.17+) besides create? Getting an itch to do something modded (that isn't create) but after playing vanilla for the past few years I find it hard to rip away from some of the modern vanilla features, singleplayer just doesn't do it for me, and I wasn't really all that into create.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Xerol posted:

Any active servers running modded of moderate intensity on a fairly recent version (1.17+) besides create? Getting an itch to do something modded (that isn't create) but after playing vanilla for the past few years I find it hard to rip away from some of the modern vanilla features, singleplayer just doesn't do it for me, and I wasn't really all that into create.

We found a lot of public servers with mod packs and recent versions on https://minecraft-mp.com/, but we weren't happy with the player economies and item shops.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Heran Bago posted:

We found a lot of public servers with mod packs and recent versions on https://minecraft-mp.com/, but we weren't happy with the player economies and item shops.

I've seen some videos where people involved in these are mad about new EULA stuff cutting back on what they can monetize on these servers and its all so bizzare to me as someone who started playing in alpha and the only servers I have been on are small servers with friends and goons.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ash Rose posted:

I've seen some videos where people involved in these are mad about new EULA stuff cutting back on what they can monetize on these servers and its all so bizzare to me as someone who started playing in alpha and the only servers I have been on are small servers with friends and goons.

Man, some of the hosts behind those big multiplayer servers are utterly psychotic. My job two jobs ago was working tech support at a small data center that aggressively targeted game server hosting and some of the absolute worst customers were the loving minecraft hosts.

Getting called up by some screeching 15 year old mad about why I can't shove more RAM into their server (because it physically cannot hold more than 64GB of RAM you numpty) and why we didn't have some such CPU with higher single core clock speeds and etc. was why I couldn't even look at Minecraft without getting anxious for years.

E: In brighter news, I just put together my LV circuit assembler! :toot:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 24, 2023

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh yeah I was definitely not looking for a big public server, small private servers are the only ones I want to play on. Might try to spin up my own soon if nothing emerges.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh nooo I can put compact machines inside other compact machines.

If I break a one and place it elsewhere the outputs don't work anymore. I can replace them from inside ok. But is there a better way to move one? Packing tape doesn't seem to do it.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Oh nooo I can put compact machines inside other compact machines.

If you want some Compact Machines fun I would suggest taking a gander at Compact Claustrophobia. The entire gimmick is living solely in the machines and creating complex nested systems with them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH 2.4.1 development version got released today. :toot: I authored several changes in this release.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH 2.4.1 development version got released today. :toot: I authored several changes in this release.

I'm sure I'll discover what this is in two to three years. :v:

I'm uh... slowly amassing a project chest for a pyrolyse oven and some benzene-burning generators? :confuoot:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm sure I'll discover what this is in two to three years. :v:

I'm uh... slowly amassing a project chest for a pyrolyse oven and some benzene-burning generators? :confuoot:

It's an industrial information panel. You can make these in LV. With a GT sensor kit, you can read out runtime information about the machine and print it on those panels. Those have been around forever. What's different about this one is that my new metrics transmitter cover is being used, which is a higher tier version that works interdimensionally and if you move whatever it's reading.

It's currently reading an Ore Drilling Plant on another planet. ODPs are a multiblock ore miner that pre-macerates anything it mines, plus gives you x2-x4 yield compared to normal maceration. I wrote this feature because I kept forgetting where my miners were, and I kept flying to them to see if they were done or not.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How stable is 2.4.1? Usually I just know my drill is done when I stop seeing ore show up in the ender chest. Would this be even better for a void miner? Or those just never get moved and it's more "do something to it when you want different ore"?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Holyshoot posted:

How stable is 2.4.1? Usually I just know my drill is done when I stop seeing ore show up in the ender chest. Would this be even better for a void miner? Or those just never get moved and it's more "do something to it when you want different ore"?

It's less than 24 hours old, so I'm not sure how stable it is. Anecdotally, it's fine; I've been using it for a few hours this evening and had no problems.

Void miners never move, but you could use the new cover to e.g. detect if they have a maintenance issue or something. There are other covers that do that, though, so less useful.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hey I just thought I'd tell this thread that there's a modded Minecraft LP megathread that just started up a few days ago in the LP subforum. I'm doing a Vault Hunters playthrough, and there are also currently ATM8 and Sevtech Ages LPs ongoing as well. All are welcome to contribute and discuss!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042473

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Slow and steady progress! :toot:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Dawncraft is proving to be an absolutely an insane modpack. I like its more medieval/magic themes, it just does not run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is there a go-to realm-like service for hosting little modded Minecraft servers? I'd like to maybe start an ATM server for my kids and a few of their friends.