Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

~Coxy posted:

kefka can tell us shortly whether he has a keylight on the scene, but I've never really seen mine that "light".

It’s a pretty dark blue in normal lighting, it’s just how the glass is reflecting the umbrella on the light and the angle of incidence to the camera. I just quickly turned on the big lights and didn’t bother positioning them for “accuracy.” It’s a flaw of how I set it up to photograph two reflective surfaces at opposing angles. Something’s going to catch the light. But if you had it outdoors on a bright sunny day it could certainly produce that kind of color at the right angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The noise cancelling on the Airpod Pro 2s is kinda loving with me?

I upgraded from the Pro 1s for the USB C and better performance, and oh man is the performance better in every way, but holy poo poo that NOISE CANCEL.

After I picked up the airpods I stopped in for a quick bowl of pho and I connected the new pods and tested them out. I admit, a restaurant is probably the best case scenario for noise cancelling (a bunch of relatively blended background noise) but dude.

It's like going into the upside down in Stranger Things bro. It was legimitely weird to have waitstaff moving around me- customers carrying on- in what really felt like complete and utter silence.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it but it was a legitimately strange experience.

glassyalabolas posted:

I believe you can trade in at time of purchase. I'm going to trade in my airpod gen 2 next week at BB.

Surprised people are trading them in, I am super stoked to have a extra pair I can store permanently in my car, because I am constantly forgetting them when I run errands and whatnot.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 24, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

kefkafloyd posted:

Twenty(ish) years of Titanium at Apple.

My ti Mac had paint rubbed off due to humidity I guess.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think it affects more than just the graph. The phone said I didn’t have enough storage to apply the new iOS update until I deleted a few things off it to get it going.

Looked into it myself and apparently this has been a problem since some of the developer betas last month.

On my new phone synced content and music alone add up to 200gb but my actual used total of storage is only 160gb

I think the ios17 upgrade has some space taking residue because it didn’t want to let me upgrade to 17.0.1 until I restarted and resynced my phone (not sure which helped) and just doing that freed up some space.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Autocorrect is really pissing me off. If it corrects the last word of a text and I fix it it’ll change it back before sending. My history will be like

What’s up bid
Bid
Bid
BID
I’m trying to say bud god drat it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Autocorrect is really pissing me off. If it corrects the last word of a text and I fix it it’ll change it back before sending. My history will be like

What’s up bid
Bid
Bid
BID

Whenever this happens to me I feel like I must be losing my mind because there's no way the phone is actually reverting my corrections and sending the wrong word anyway

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My autocorrect loves to stutter the last letter of some words like “something” becomes “something g”

Every update I hope it has stopped, fingers crossed

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Snowy posted:

My autocorrect loves to stutter the last letter of some words like “something” becomes “something g”

Every update I hope it has stopped, fingers crossed

Same problem j

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just have autocorrect off and it works jsut fine

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rolo posted:

What’s up bid
Bid
Bid
BID
This happened to me too. I’m pretty sure my phone is trolling me

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You can just set it to autocorrect the way you want I'm 99% sure.

hatty posted:

I just have autocorrect off and it works jsut fine

Yeah this is the move if you use a lot of slang imo, sure it sucks making spelling errors but it's so much more authentic

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Taima posted:

You can just set it to autocorrect the way you want I'm 99% sure.

Is there any control besides on/off?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
No autocorrect on anything ever should do the following:

-try to correct a proper noun. I’ll type carefully, once I hit shift please buzz off for a second.

-correct an actual word to another actual word. Sending stuff like “oh nice I used to love near there” when I actually got it right the first time.

-mess with apostrophes. My phone doesn’t know the difference between its, it’s, we’re and were but it’ll still flip flop em like a dick.

Edit: had to get the apostrophes in the third bullet point to loving stay still.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 24, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Snowy posted:

Is there any control besides on/off?

Yep! Just use text shortcuts.

General > Keyboard > Text Replacement.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
It would be really nice if while using a non-English keyboard iOS wouldn’t autocorrect based on English spelling. ‘Te’ is a common Finnish word but iOS changes it every drat time.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Creature posted:

It would be really nice if while using a non-English keyboard iOS wouldn’t autocorrect based on English spelling. ‘Te’ is a common Finnish word but iOS changes it every drat time.

Jesus Christ this. Switching between English and Italian can be a nightmare with autocorrect.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Kinda annoying but that is exactly the scenario that Text Replacement is made for fwiw.

Well, maybe not if you only want the replacement to occur on specific keyboards :shrug: idk how that works.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Taima posted:

Kinda annoying but that is exactly the scenario that Text Replacement is made for fwiw.

Well, maybe not if you only want the replacement to occur on specific keyboards :shrug: idk how that works.

Even with text replacement I still have about a 50/50 shot of it capitalizing the word “and” for some reason.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The voicemail preview is incredibly awesome; already let me take a few important calls I would have otherwise ignored as possible telemarketers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rafikki posted:

Even with text replacement I still have about a 50/50 shot of it capitalizing the word “and” for some reason.

It’s been doing this to me lately and it’s driving me insane.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Taima posted:

The noise cancelling on the Airpod Pro 2s is kinda loving with me?

I upgraded from the Pro 1s for the USB C and better performance, and oh man is the performance better in every way, but holy poo poo that NOISE CANCEL.

After I picked up the airpods I stopped in for a quick bowl of pho and I connected the new pods and tested them out. I admit, a restaurant is probably the best case scenario for noise cancelling (a bunch of relatively blended background noise) but dude.

It's like going into the upside down in Stranger Things bro. It was legimitely weird to have waitstaff moving around me- customers carrying on- in what really felt like complete and utter silence.

I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it but it was a legitimately strange experience.

Surprised people are trading them in, I am super stoked to have a extra pair I can store permanently in my car, because I am constantly forgetting them when I run errands and whatnot.

You should give the new adaptive mode a go. I agree that normal noise cancelling can feel way too intense in most settings. The new adaptive cancelling actually works really well, in that it just kind of selectively softens harsher sounds and some background noise, in a way where you don't get loads of pressure against your eardrums if you're on a noisy train, or if you just still want to feel connected to the world around you. It sits between the regular noise cancelling and transparency mode and I'm really impressed with it so far. There's a toggle for it on the volume menu - it's worth giving it a go.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I have dual eSim and wanted to use the action button to switch between the two cellular data providers, but the only thing available in Shortcuts is "toggle the cellular plan" which disables/enables individual plans. Annoying!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://mas.to/@snazzyq/111118183533241778

This is clever, you can have different actions for the button landscape vs portrait mode.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

smackfu posted:

https://mas.to/@snazzyq/111118183533241778

This is clever, you can have different actions for the button landscape vs portrait mode.

Yeah I have it set to toggle silent mode if it's face down (like on a table) and toggle flashlight otherwise for easy access to it when I'm too lazy to just lock my phone or swipe down the Control Center.

Actually you know what, it's not laziness, it's just efficiency :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Creature posted:

YES

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How are Mous cases? I like fine woven but the mous seems more protective. I’m thinking about the fabric speckled limitless 5 for the 15 pm

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, time for some basic bitch questions. Or just fishing for recommendations.

I have a pretty long in the tooth 11. I’m leaning towards a 15 Pro. I don’t care for the extra size on the Pro Max but the better battery is slightly tempting.

I guess my question is how big is the difference between the base 15 and the Pro. I gather it’s the camera, the processor, and the USB 2.0 limitation. I’m not too fussed about the camera, but how appreciable are the processor and USB upgrades for basic use?

tldr: I’ve got a very very well used 11. Which 15 should I get between base and pro.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Anyone else having issues with 15 Pro not charging on a standard qi charger? Other devices work fine and my phone charges fine via usb c but nothing happens when I place it on the charge pad.

Any way to test if the qi coils or whatever are bad?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

dutchbstrd posted:

Anyone else having issues with 15 Pro not charging on a standard qi charger? Other devices work fine and my phone charges fine via usb c but nothing happens when I place it on the charge pad.

Any way to test if the qi coils or whatever are bad?

Did you reboot it? I’ve had that happen on other models before and a reboot fixed it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

man nurse posted:

I guess my question is how big is the difference between the base 15 and the Pro. I gather it’s the camera, the processor, and the USB 2.0 limitation. I’m not too fussed about the camera, but how appreciable are the processor and USB upgrades for basic use?

USB speed is irrelevant imo, no one is plugging peripherals into their phone. I suppose with the availability of usb 3 we'll start to see external displays or something but that's so far out the typical use pattern for a phone (unless you're tony stark) I don't see it being a killer feature for quite some time. Processor doesn't matter either unless you're running games or anything processor intensive. Or to put it another way, the non-pro 15 has the same processor as the pro-14 and you don't hear anyone complaining that the pro-14 is too weak.

In day to day use the only difference you'll notice is the camera. They don't give you a telephoto on the non-pro models so you're stuck with wide and insanely wide angles, which can feel limiting.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alright, it’s sounding like maybe the base 15 is the way to go for me. Now I have to figure out if I want the Plus or not. More battery life is nice, but I also like a smaller phone. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

man nurse posted:

Alright, it’s sounding like maybe the base 15 is the way to go for me. Now I have to figure out if I want the Plus or not. More battery life is nice, but I also like a smaller phone. Any thoughts on that are welcome.

What are you coming from? I went from an XR to a 14 pro max because I wanted the battery life and the neat camera poo poo and my XR got lost on a hiking trip so I was up poo poo's creek, kind of literally. It was a big jump but ultimately I don't notice the difference on a day to day basis. I just like the huge phone. Actually can't answer the diff between a base 15 and pro max but I think the difference is comparable to the 14's. Coming from the XR I noticed the 14pm was a lot heavier, like a lot. And I'd used battery cases on the XR. Price wise it's just a few bucks more per month on my payment plan from my carrier so I had to do the "best' phone available.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

USB speed is irrelevant imo, no one is plugging peripherals into their phone. I suppose with the availability of usb 3 we'll start to see external displays or something but that's so far out the typical use pattern for a phone (unless you're tony stark) I don't see it being a killer feature for quite some time. Processor doesn't matter either unless you're running games or anything processor intensive. Or to put it another way, the non-pro 15 has the same processor as the pro-14 and you don't hear anyone complaining that the pro-14 is too weak.

In day to day use the only difference you'll notice is the camera. They don't give you a telephoto on the non-pro models so you're stuck with wide and insanely wide angles, which can feel limiting.

Pro motion is noticeable imo. Nothing wrong with the 15, just adding the Pro gets you the better camera and faster refresh rate.

If you don’t care about those two things than yeah, get the 15 regular.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvklZ_IhpE

:stare:

I was going to say "if you have a 15 Pro/Pro Max, is there even a reason to carry a DSLR anymore?", but I don't know if we're quite at that point yet. Definitely getting closer and closer, though.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

rafikki posted:

Did you reboot it? I’ve had that happen on other models before and a reboot fixed it

Yeah, no luck

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rageaholic posted:

I was going to say "if you have a 15 Pro/Pro Max, is there even a reason to carry a DSLR anymore?", but I don't know if we're quite at that point yet. Definitely getting closer and closer, though.

I think the real question is: how expensive does a dedicated point and shoot need to be before it outclasses a 15 Pro Max at pictures and video, and is worth the added complexity and weight?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 24, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Camera companies have also coasted on the same sensors for ages now. Once things get too close for their liking they'll just release the new stuff they've probably been sitting on.

It's Sony making the iPhone cameras after all.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 24, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The future of casual photography is software. Traditional camera companies are getting annihilated by phones in the point and shoot market, and it’s only gonna get worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sensor size matters though.. the ability for the modern big cameras to simply not have any noise is amazing. Yeah AI processing is getting amazing at removing noise but there's something special about pixel peeping a 100MP unprocessed frame from a medium format camera. The detail makes it feel like you can see everything.

Granted in a practical sense resolution doesn't matter much because almost no one is printing large enough to need 100 MP, and all us schlubs look at pictures on their phone. But for those that care about that stuff there is still a significant gap (a gap that shrinks every year).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As the owner of a prosumer DSLR from 2012 and an iPhone 13 I can't imagine doing professional photography on my phone. I don't think any amount of post processing will make up for 3 inches of glass.