Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

I must have missed that, any other Battle Mode exclusive characters? Also is there a gameplay difference between the Metal and regular versions of the characters?

I do like that Metal Knuckles is almost exactly the same one from Sonic R though (Metal Tails and Metal Amy look good as well)

The battle characters are customizable and made of head/body/limb parts. Don’t think there’s any other cameos that have been revealed, just the Mecha Sonic parts that come alongside the rabbit Sonic costume for the digital deluxe version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The wiki's actually a bit wrong about this, the original appeared from another dimension before Forces, then Eggman started making prototypes based on it. One of the prototypes warped through spacetime (because the Ruby can apparently do this but it's only shown in Mania and not Forces) to Mania's time. Here's some concept art the series narrative director showed off on a Japanese stream:

The original ore is just barely visible in the last form of the final boss in Forces, but otherwise doesn't appear anywhere. The Ruby that appears in the prequel comic should be the original ore, but the artists weren't supplied with any art for it and just used the prototype model.

why do I know all this poo poo

If I recall it's all a little vague and inconsistent because the Mania team was basically told "you need to use the gimmick from Forces. It's pink, it's called the Phantom Ruby, and it has reality warping powers. Here's a sound file of it going vwomwvomwvom" and that was about it. There wasn't much detail.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 22, 2023

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Larryb posted:

So apparently Metal Sonic is going to be playable in Superstars’ Battle Mode along with the return of Metal Knuckles, Tails and Amy will receive Metal counterparts as well:

https://twitter.com/the_duck_dealer/status/1704841795069223331

Aw man they look so cool. Metal sonic has always had the best character design

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

MikeJF posted:

If I recall it's all a little vague and inconsistent because the Mania team was basically told "you need to use the gimmick from Forces. It's pink, it's called the Phantom Ruby, and it has reality warping powers. Here's a sound file of it going vwomwvomwvom" and that was about it. There wasn't much detail.

Yeah. Sega apparently originally suggested using Infinite in Mania but changed their mind, so at least we dodged that bullet.
The Phantom Ruby in Forces wasn’t originally the Phantom Ruby either, in the leaked earlier script it was a machine called the “Valtron.” The final version of Forces’ script basically just find+replaced Valtron with Phantom Ruby which is why you have prototypes and power sources and stuff for what amounts to a rock.

I’m guessing Iizuka or someone else at the top came up with the ruby idea when they decided on making Mania and neither dev team really knew what the other was doing with the thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The battle characters are customizable and made of head/body/limb parts. Don’t think there’s any other cameos that have been revealed, just the Mecha Sonic parts that come alongside the rabbit Sonic costume for the digital deluxe version.

Rabbit Sonic is based on one of the early prototypes for the character as I recall, you can also unlock Lego versions of the main 4 as well.

Also we’ve got a new trailer showing off the Metal versions:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=P93RArEEzRc

I kind of wish they’d brought back the Tails Doll too to be honest

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 22, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Much like Forces and Frontiers, Superstars is getting a comic prologue (not sure when it’s supposed to be out though as I can’t find any listings for it):

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1705975683703570507

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

Larryb posted:

Much like Forces and Frontiers, Superstars is getting a comic prologue (not sure when it’s supposed to be out though as I can’t find any listings for it):

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1705975683703570507

I think it's online only and spread out over a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/SpiritSonic/status/1706001699834638698

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWhFtLCww0

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like that they didn't fix the collision properties on the moving platform objects themselves, just moved them further back into the wall so they look janky af. This mode retroactively makes the broken skippable version into intentional level design.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dabir posted:

I like that they didn't fix the collision properties on the moving platform objects themselves, just moved them further back into the wall so they look janky af. This mode retroactively makes the broken skippable version into intentional level design.

What are you talking about?

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011

acetcx posted:

I think it's online only and spread out over a few weeks:

https://twitter.com/SpiritSonic/status/1706001699834638698

The first 4 pages are up and the art is pretty great. Between this and the animated short I think I might be starting to like Fang now?

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1706338012526006754

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

acetcx posted:

The first 4 pages are up and the art is pretty great. Between this and the animated short I think I might be starting to like Fang now?

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1706338012526006754

Seems good so far and I like that they referenced both of Fang’s other names

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Very funny explanation for the name change, when the actual answer is that Sega thought it would be a good idea to have every division compete with each other and never share info, which led to the handheld and console division both making separate numbered third games in the series at the same time, both of which were supposed to introduce the first rival antagonist animal character in the series, one of which was called NACK and the other called NACKLES

Yes I have talked about this itt before but I will always take an opportunity to talk about just how terrible Sega management was. It's also how Sega of Japan and Sega of America managed to release two different 32-bit 3d capable consoles in the same loving week

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Very funny explanation for the name change, when the actual answer is that Sega thought it would be a good idea to have every division compete with each other and never share info, which led to the handheld and console division both making separate numbered third games in the series at the same time, both of which were supposed to introduce the first rival antagonist animal character in the series, one of which was called NACK and the other called NACKLES

Yes I have talked about this itt before but I will always take an opportunity to talk about just how terrible Sega management was. It's also how Sega of Japan and Sega of America managed to release two different 32-bit 3d capable consoles in the same loving week

Knuckles is in both Sonic 3 and Triple Trouble (or was he a late addition to the game following the release of the former?).

Though there is an early screenshot of Fang pulling his gun on Sonic which suggests he might have had a bigger role early on in development

On another note, I just learned that the update to Origins Plus back in August essentially broke Tails in Sonic 1 (as soon as you go deep underwater in any version the game crashes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 25, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he had to drop his main alias when he was apprehended in a rice field. all the papers called it a “nack paddy whack”

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

^ give this dog a ban

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

^ give this dog a ban

The Archie comic did give him a sister named Nic though

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Wait SEGA did a Sears? Lmfao

Do you have anything I can read on this?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's kind of all over the place, but it goes back as far as 1990. Sega of Japan was mad at Sega of America in general, and Tom Kalinske in specific for cutting the price of the console and including Sonic as a pack-in game even though that's what gave them market dominance. And for developing their own games since SoJ thought that they were clearly superior. In retaliation They were given dummy or straight up faulty dev units for the CD prior to release so they wouldn't 'leak' anything

quote:

Sega of America was not informed of the project details until mid-1991. Despite being provided with preliminary technical documents earlier in the year, the American division was not given a functioning unit to test. According to former executive producer Michael Latham, "When you work at a multinational company, there are things that go well and there are things that don't. They didn't want to send us working Sega CD units. They wanted to send us dummies and not send us the working CD units until the last minute because they were concerned about what we would do with it and if it would leak out. It was very frustrating."

Latham and Sega of America vice president of licensing Shinobu Toyoda assembled a functioning Sega CD by acquiring a ROM for the system and installing it in a dummy unit. The American staff were frustrated by the Sega CD's construction. Former senior producer Scot Bayless said: "[It] was designed with a cheap, consumer-grade audio CD drive, not a CD-ROM. Quite late in the run-up to launch, the quality assurance teams started running into severe problems with many of the units—and when I say severe, I mean units literally bursting into flames. We worked around the clock, trying to catch the failure in-progress, and after about a week we finally realized what was happening." He said the problems were caused by the need for games to use more time-seeking data than the CD drive was designed to provide.

When the Jaguar came out, SoJ forced SoA to develop the 32x despite the fact that Kalinske (correctly) Surmised that the jaguar wouldn't do anything and they could extend the Genesis's life span another year without a gimmicky add-on like the failed CD, but SoJ undermined him.
I think it gets touched on in the Saturn What Happened.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Every time I hear another story from Sega's history it just makes me more and more baffled as to how this company still exists. It's just "And then the executives made the stupidest possible decision..." repeated on an endless loop

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Sega has a long, long history of terrible/baffling decisions. It’s pretty much the whole reason they’re a third party company now honestly

Hell, they STILL do stuff like that (the way Frontiers was initially marketed for example)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 26, 2023

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KingKalamari posted:

Every time I hear another story from Sega's history it just makes me more and more baffled as to how this company still exists. It's just "And then the executives made the stupidest possible decision..." repeated on an endless loop

"Okay, maybe the whole Saturn, CD, and 32X thing didn't work out. But what if I personally pay for everyone's SEGANET? Please, for the love of god buy our dirt cheap Dreamcast I am literally paying you to do it!" -John "Segata" Sega, 1999

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That guy was right about online gaming being the future and he died like a year later anyway

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Exactly! I'm not being facetious. I love Sega alot, and they had some good ideas in there. You can see where the business side of it was coming from. The executions were just always very, very strange and bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

KingKalamari posted:

Apparently the only reason they even still exist as a third party after the Dreamcast is because of a loan from one very generous man who waived it on his deathbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8kTDWMtTY

Around the 16 minute mark in this video.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Apparently the only reason they even still exist as a third party after the Dreamcast is because of a loan from one very generous man who waived it on his deathbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8kTDWMtTY

Around the 16 minute mark in this video.

Yep that was the same guy who personally paid for seganet for everyone in japan

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Sega seems like the 90s Apple of the gaming world. Their engineers and developers were all extremely talented and made amazing stuff that was super ahead of the curve, but the upper management was so rock stupid that it all did way worse than it should have.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, seems we’ll be getting a trailer for the third and final part of Sonic Prime tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1706700384478392392

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Season 2 of Sonic Prime was excellent. My only complaints is that it's a shame that Rouge was always the straight man of the group no matter which verse they went to and Big was just kinda there for the entire series.

I hope Thorn inspires Rusty and Black Rose to make their own hammers too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With some small exceptions I’m also going to miss the Prime voice cast and wouldn’t mind seeing them come back for a future Sonic project (Sonic, Tails, and Amy were particularly on point and while I like Kirk Thornton I have to say Ian Hanlin does a way better Shadow than him)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 26, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Wrong thread lmao

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

KingKalamari posted:

The most hilarious thing to me is that after fleeing to America and working with STI to get Sonic 2 created at all (because SOJ was being regressive as hell, and trying to push the Mega-CD) Naka still denied STI access to the Nights engine to make Sonic Extreme. Because americans are apparently only good if Yuji was personally overseeing them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingKalamari posted:

They only currently exist because some rich Japanese guy gave them all his money in his dying breath.

Edit: oh beaten.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So has the Netflix stream with the aforementioned Prime trailer started yet? If so, anybody got a link?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone have mods for SADX/Sonic Adventure 2 that are fun/worth getting ? Been tempted to revisit them.

e: Live and Learn slaps so loving hard. Been watching the WayneradioTv Sonic Adventure streams and god the vibes are bringing me back to highschool when I thought this poo poo was so hype.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 27, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's a mod that fixes the world map so tge ARK isn't stretched on widescreen resolutions

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SA1 Dreamcast Conversion is a must-download

Chao World Extended is a fun one for SA2 if you like Chaos.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Netflix stream feat. Sonic Prime starts in just a few minutes:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xkmv4sTuDcI

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, the chat is just an endless stream of people demanding Sonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, here’s the Prime portion:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZTI8bR23q14

Robot doubles for everyone!