Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

emSparkly posted:

I hate voice acting because I'm just a huge misanthrope and anything that makes me feel like I'm listening to a real person makes me wanna puke.

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If Im not gonna read the words do you think saying them at me will change anything?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Va is best

Wow in this CRPG I can choose between 5 completely different paragraphs of tiny overwritten text about how defacing the lizard shrine pisses off the lizardfolk it feels so alive

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

emSparkly posted:

I hate voice acting because I'm just a huge misanthrope and anything that makes me feel like I'm listening to a real person makes me wanna puke.

You can always tell the fake Monster Hunter fans because they're using the Japanese or English dubs rather than Monster Hunter Language.

Barudak posted:

If Im not gonna read the words do you think saying them at me will change anything?

VA greatly increases the chance that the dialogue isn't skippable, which is a grave sin.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

roomtone posted:

Va is best

Wow in this CRPG I can choose between 5 completely different paragraphs of tiny overwritten text about how defacing the lizard shrine pisses off the lizardfolk it feels so alive

Just admit you lost your reading glasses.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Cuno doesnt loving care

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fully voice acted is bad for video games

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If I wanted to read, I'd go read a book. I'm there to let my eyes glaze over and get headshots.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The game with the best voicing of lines was Star Fox. We need more "dip dibbit dip dibbit" or "blabity blorblop" to communicate text. It's the perfect trade off between fully voiced lines and a noise for each character printing, and you don't have to put up with hearing the same anime voice actors with no range or half hearted celebrities who can barely hold back their audible contempt that they've sunk to being a videogame VA (I'm looking at you Megan Fox!).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nice Van My Man posted:

The game with the best voicing of lines was Star Fox. We need more "dip dibbit dip dibbit" or "blabity blorblop" to communicate text. It's the perfect trade off between fully voiced lines and a noise for each character printing, and you don't have to put up with hearing the same anime voice actors with no range or half hearted celebrities who can barely hold back their audible contempt that they've sunk to being a videogame VA (I'm looking at you Megan Fox!).

Oh man, that reminds me of Brosnan I'm everything or nothing. He phoned it in so hard you can feel his contempt for that being the final time he played bond.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Fully voice acted is bad for video games

Fully voice-acted and fully-skippable dialogue is the way. Cyberpunk nailed it, IMO (I have never typed this sentence before lol).

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
speedrunning games is making me much crankier than dota ever could, that feeling of dying to the snake in 6-3 of Mario 2 or getting one hit ko'ed by Mike Tyson are infurating

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm glad you found a new, more efficent route than DOTA to get mad at video games I guess

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

lmao

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’m playing Baldur’s Gate for the first time and I kinda like that the VA will say one line or snippet and then the rest is written out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I’m playing Baldur’s Gate for the first time and I kinda like that the VA will say one line or snippet and then the rest is written out

back in the day where they worked around size limits rather than just saying "go buy a bigger SSD dipshit"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

I see somebody hasn't played Custom Robo.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The reason I skip voice acting is because I read way the gently caress faster than VAs speak so like in Baldurs Gate 3 for example people were literally spending 20-40 hours going through Act 1, but I was able to 100% act 1 in about 7 hours. That's how much goddamn voice acting it has. I saw all the same content and got all the same story beats but with 10-30 extra hours not stolen from my life by the great digital Shang Tsung.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You're chilling absolutely wrong

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I patiently watch all the cutscenes in every game because I'm not a slavering barbarian and have manners.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

The Moon Monster posted:

You can always tell the fake Monster Hunter fans because they're using the Japanese or English dubs rather than Monster Hunter Language.

Just don't trust anyone who is using anything other than the MH language for any reason period

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I buy the game and then just watch a YouTube supercut of all the cut scenes because I'm not a Philistine that taxes my thumbs in my free time

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nice Van My Man posted:

-someone who hasn't sat through the unskippable Okami intro

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
okami slander will not be tolerated

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also cutscene/voice acting skipping really depends. Two great recent examples:

Baldur's Gate 3 has a ton of reactivity hidden in dialogue, along with uniqe face mocap for each scene. You get XP for playing into character's motivations, gear, unlock new paths, new stories etc. It's like 30% of the game.

Diablo 4 is a game about clicking demons, yet it's full of really dull and gross worldbuilding that insists you listen to some schlub telling you they need you to click demons. It's also 30% of the game.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

-someone who hasn't sat through the unskippable Okami intro

Also all cutscenes should be both skippable and pausable. And no getting around this because it's some in engine thing or I'm allowed to jump around during it! It's still basically a cutscene!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

British theatre guys are a lot better voice actors than American cartoon network guys

:hai:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's not even a real English accent, that's the northeastern US accent, the british one was made up by the Kardashians of the Victorian age, and that's a fact I learned from a BBC documentary about the English language where they tattled on themselves.

Sorry which british accent are you talking about again?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

fridge corn posted:

They're all on a negative scale really, with australian bein very close to 0.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I mean that's why they're always evil guys in movies; nobody talking like that's got your wellbeing in mind.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The best voice acting in a video game is that New Vegas npc voice going "LATER >: )"

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

MrQwerty posted:

The best voice acting in a video game is that New Vegas npc voice going "LATER >: )"

It's actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjgZwyQi48

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If a game has textboxes and voice acting at the same time I am absolutely reading at my own speed and skipping ahead on the VA and I'll probably change the voice language to something other than English so it doesn't distract me while reading.

voiced story is for playing in the background while i headshot demons not for reading textboxes aloud to me

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

fridge corn posted:

All of them!! Because the Brits dropped rhoticity after sending colonists to North America as a way of distinguishing themselves from all of the commoners that they sent away lmao

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
There are plenty of rhotic accents around the UK

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

The reason I skip voice acting is because I read way the gently caress faster than VAs speak so like in Baldurs Gate 3 for example people were literally spending 20-40 hours going through Act 1, but I was able to 100% act 1 in about 7 hours. That's how much goddamn voice acting it has. I saw all the same content and got all the same story beats but with 10-30 extra hours not stolen from my life by the great digital Shang Tsung.

I usually skip like 90% of VA lines in games for the same reason but let most of them play out in BG3 just because the performances and mocap was so well done

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

All of them!! Because the Brits dropped rhoticity after sending colonists to North America as a way of distinguishing themselves from all of the commoners that they sent away lmao

There are plenty of rhotic British accents spoken today and even as recently as the 1950s and 60s the majority of them still were! The trend toward non-rhoticity is actually a fairly recent one.

But of course there are non-rhotic American accents as well, most notably the ones commonly spoken in New York City and Boston, both coastal cities with strong cultural and economic ties to Britian and the non-rhoticity of those accents came about as a direct result of the rise of the so-called RP accent in London and Southeast England!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vic posted:

Also cutscene/voice acting skipping really depends. Two great recent examples:

Baldur's Gate 3 has a ton of reactivity hidden in dialogue, along with uniqe face mocap for each scene. You get XP for playing into character's motivations, gear, unlock new paths, new stories etc. It's like 30% of the game.

Diablo 4 is a game about clicking demons, yet it's full of really dull and gross worldbuilding that insists you listen to some schlub telling you they need you to click demons. It's also 30% of the game.

lol that you paid for and played both of these

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lol that you paid for and played both of these

lol that you paid for a forums account to make 33 pages of posts ITT when gamefaqs is free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

eleven extra elephants posted:

lol that you paid for a forums account to make 33 pages of posts ITT when gamefaqs is free

don't be mad we're all friends here