Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Guardians of the Galaxy game is good, but at some points it touches greatness;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alhazred posted:

The Guardians of the Galaxy game is good, but at some points it touches greatness;

Both that and Midnight Suns were really good, it's a shame Avengers poisoned the well so badly

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Avengers is actually a good and fun single-player game, tortured into being live-service like they used to make bears dance on hotplates.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Both Powerwash Simulator and Cook, Serve, Delicious 3 have better plots than they need to have.
Powerwash Simulator has gone in some wild directions, but even the basic people referring you to people they know feels satisfying. Cook, Serve, Delicious 3 is obviously post-apocalyptic but the setting bits you do get are enjoyably out there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm a bit into FF16 now that I finally picked it up and it's core combat is quite fun. I just got to the bit where you get Garuda and the ability to swap Eikons and the evade and counter focus makes boss fights quite frantic but in a good way. Also the cinematic stuff is pretty satisfying.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Really nice thing about Bloodborne-like Lies of P: the weapons in the game have two different parts, a "Blade" and a "Hilt" for each weapon. You do your traditional soulsborne upgrading on the Blade, which affects the damage output in flat numbers, while the Hilt affects the stat-scaling and moveset. Both parts also affect the range and special "weapon art" options for the weapon that you can activate with Y/Triangle.

There are some caveats to this, where the Blade attack type needs to match the Hilt attack type. A mace "Hilt" you swing laterally to smash things can deal Slashing damage when a greatsword Blade is attached, but it'll suck with a rapier Blade designed for stabbing. Same with the Rapier Hilt, if you stick a Mace "Blade" part to it, it'll do pitiful stabbing damage and also have short range, because the "Blade" part of a Mace weapon is just the head of the Mace. It looks super silly and owns, though.

This does mean that you can upgrade a Blade you really like, and if you pick up a weapon with a moveset you like, you can just slap the Blade on that new weapon's Hilt. Congrats! You now have that moveset without investing materials into the Blade. As an example, I have a strength build with a +3 sword, but I liked the moveset and scaling of a Police Baton weapon because the charged strong attack (required to stagger enemies) comes out much faster. I snap the +3 blade to the Police Baton Hilt, and I now have the range/damage of the +3 blade and the Baton moveset. Later on I found a DEX glaive weapon with a strong blade that gets a good damage boost with every upgrade to the blade, but I'm not a DEX build. Not a problem! Since the Hilt is what decides the weapon's damage scaling, I upgraded that blade to +3 and snapped it onto the Police Baton Hilt, and now it's a strong STR weapon instead of a DEX weapon.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Marcade posted:

A pretty badass moment in Sea of Stars. How do you get the light of an eclipse to reach beneath a mountain? You have the party ninja who can cut portals in space effectively cut the top of the mountain off

So I progressed far enough to find out why that character can do that, and I was not expecting it. I knew pretty early she was from another world/dimension/whatever, but did not expect the status of said world's inhabitants.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bawk posted:

Really nice thing about Bloodborne-like Lies of P: the weapons in the game have two different parts, a "Blade" and a "Hilt" for each weapon. You do your traditional soulsborne upgrading on the Blade, which affects the damage output in flat numbers, while the Hilt affects the stat-scaling and moveset. Both parts also affect the range and special "weapon art" options for the weapon that you can activate with Y/Triangle.

There are some caveats to this, where the Blade attack type needs to match the Hilt attack type. A mace "Hilt" you swing laterally to smash things can deal Slashing damage when a greatsword Blade is attached, but it'll suck with a rapier Blade designed for stabbing. Same with the Rapier Hilt, if you stick a Mace "Blade" part to it, it'll do pitiful stabbing damage and also have short range, because the "Blade" part of a Mace weapon is just the head of the Mace. It looks super silly and owns, though.

This does mean that you can upgrade a Blade you really like, and if you pick up a weapon with a moveset you like, you can just slap the Blade on that new weapon's Hilt. Congrats! You now have that moveset without investing materials into the Blade. As an example, I have a strength build with a +3 sword, but I liked the moveset and scaling of a Police Baton weapon because the charged strong attack (required to stagger enemies) comes out much faster. I snap the +3 blade to the Police Baton Hilt, and I now have the range/damage of the +3 blade and the Baton moveset. Later on I found a DEX glaive weapon with a strong blade that gets a good damage boost with every upgrade to the blade, but I'm not a DEX build. Not a problem! Since the Hilt is what decides the weapon's damage scaling, I upgraded that blade to +3 and snapped it onto the Police Baton Hilt, and now it's a strong STR weapon instead of a DEX weapon.

everything about this game pre-release sounded like kind of a joke but everything I've heard about it since then has been pretty glowing praise. and this system sounds cool as hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rockman Reserve posted:

everything about this game pre-release sounded like kind of a joke but everything I've heard about it since then has been pretty glowing praise. and this system sounds cool as hell.

The premise is still completely bonkers but the actual design is the Bloodborne spiritual sequel we’ve all been dreaming of, with large dashes of the best parts of all the other From games. I have no idea how they pulled this off

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rockman Reserve posted:

It works pretty dang well and the weapons are varied/interesting enough while still feeling like they're common. I'm on Chapter III (chapters aren't super separated from each other, they're just given chapter titles for specific areas and there's at least one Big rear end Boss Fight besides the other many bosses you can find) and I've only found enough materials to upgrade these two blades this far, but the fact that they're so interchangeable means if I like the moveset of any STR weapon then I can just attach the blade I like to it and roll with it.

I dunno much about its prerelease stuff, I just saw it was out and it played enough like a From game that I wanted to give it a try and it's been a lot of fun.

Another little thing is that you can find records in the game, and there's this mechanic in the game about turning into a Real Boy Human(this game is literally about Pinocchio, that is not subtext it is literal text) when you do human actions. If you put a record on in the Hotel (this game's Firelink Shrine) and listen to the music all the way through, you'll gain a little bit of humanity. :gerty: the music has been very good so far, too.

E: Also, you have a Prosthetic Arm a la Sekiro which can do different interesting abilities, you start off with a pretty powerful left haymaker punch but the first one you unlock after that is a grappling hook you can use to hit an enemy at a distance and yank them in toward you. These can be upgraded, and supposedly it can pull you toward an enemy instead of pulling an enemy to you, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. No boss has let me grapple hook straight toward its puppet dick and smack it around with a riot baton.

e: Here's my current weapon (glaive + riot club) that looks like I'm fighting through Puppetborne with one of the arms ripped off of an industrial paper cutter

bawk has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Sep 26, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
You know how in Souls-like games, there's always a bit with an enemy standing there with their back to you, begging for a backstab, but when you take the bait, two other enemies come from the side where they were waiting to ambush you for falling into such a dumb obvious trap?

The puppet string in Lies of P lets you yoink them back to you, and the target doesn't turn around so you can still backstab them (I didn't wait long, so I guess it's possible they will actually realize that they've just been pulled 20 feet backwards and turn towards the source of it). It's basically a Scorpion pull move, and I hear "Get over here!" in my head every time I use it.

Also, I know I've mentioned it before, but the loading screen says "Lying" instead of "Loading" and the progress bar is Pinocchio's nose getting longer! That's a great gag in an otherwise pretty serious and melancholy game.

Lies of P is a good game. Goth Twink Pinocchio Souls-like is such a weird combination but it works.

2023 has been a good year for games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also when you get killed the game over screen says “LIE OR DIE” and I’m all “well clearly I chose die”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Pinnochio did you scrub out and choke against that boss? No? nose grows

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Miles is still new to the gig and his movement while slinging and landing are much more clumsy and less refined than Peters. A small thing that goes a long way to building characterization

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One more for Baldur's Gate 3, as I'm slowly making my way through the third act:

There's a quest where you're chasing down a serial killer, eventually finding a list of their potential targets. Eventually, you may be able to catch them in the acts just as they're about to kill somebody else. Now if you do that, they will immediately escape either with a long-ranged teleport spell, or by chugging a potion of invisibility and running away while you're getting mobbed by some accomplices. It seems very much the expected way of that quest to proceed, and for the murderer to face you again at a later time.

In most games, this would just happen in a cutscene, but here the whole thing played out in-engine with existing spells and items. And I happened to have a caster along with counterspell queued up as a reaction, blocking their teleportation attempt. Then I hit them with a paladin ability surrounding them with radiant fire, disabling their invisibility. That way I was able to kill them right then and there. And the game actually anticipated this happening (though I had to try a couple of times), letting me shortcut that whole quest just like that.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

honestly my favorite little thing in BG3 is the owlbear cub chasing your dog around camp

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Perestroika posted:

One more for Baldur's Gate 3, as I'm slowly making my way through the third act:

There's a quest where you're chasing down a serial killer, eventually finding a list of their potential targets. Eventually, you may be able to catch them in the acts just as they're about to kill somebody else. Now if you do that, they will immediately escape either with a long-ranged teleport spell, or by chugging a potion of invisibility and running away while you're getting mobbed by some accomplices. It seems very much the expected way of that quest to proceed, and for the murderer to face you again at a later time.

In most games, this would just happen in a cutscene, but here the whole thing played out in-engine with existing spells and items. And I happened to have a caster along with counterspell queued up as a reaction, blocking their teleportation attempt. Then I hit them with a paladin ability surrounding them with radiant fire, disabling their invisibility. That way I was able to kill them right then and there. And the game actually anticipated this happening (though I had to try a couple of times), letting me shortcut that whole quest just like that.

Honestly I'm surprised the game didn't just give you a generic "x person is dead and the quest is over" type entry. It did that for me several times before I got a game breaking bug at the end of act 2. Like, you killed this bad guy before you got a quest to kill him? Sorry, his head no longer exists apparently so you can't turn it in to the guy who wanted him dead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like the bigger fights in FF16 like the fight with Ifrit/your Shadow. They are fun and have some cool visuals.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The new patch for Cyberpunk 2077 added a new weapon, the thermal katana. This weapon was already in the game files, but you couldn't obtain it in any way.

The katana is named "Errata".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The new patch for Cyberpunk 2077 added a new weapon, the thermal katana. This weapon was already in the game files, but you couldn't obtain it in any way.

The katana is named "Errata".

That's hot.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You find it in a furnace!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Halo ODST, the superintendent will actually guide you by changing various signs as you approach them. Like changing them to say "Keep right" or "detour" with an arrow pointing where to go. Very easy to miss cause you're most likely looking at the compass instead. E: If you go in the wrong direction it might even put up a road barricade to try and stop you

Leal has a new favorite as of 12:38 on Sep 27, 2023

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I just got the first record collectible in Lies of P ("Feel") and it's a very very good song.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that Clive in FF16 can be a bit goofy, like the scene where he meets his long lost uncle or earlier in the game where he goes to hug one of Cid's friends and the friend gets really uncomfortable.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's reasonably not that impressive, but the fact that an Armored Core 6 boss has a branching dialog script based on how fast the fight goes is pretty cool. And actually well-suited to a game where every fight takes about two and a half minutes.

He has lines for when he kills you after recognizing that you're Raven... and then eventually he realizes you aren't the guy you stole that ID from, and has different kill lines for that. How he realizes that depends on how fast you kill him, too; either you take long enough for him to call back to central command and get a response, or you deal enough damage for him to realize it himself.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Streets of Rogue: you can hack refrigerators, and when you do there is an option to have them "Run". This naturally sends them flying off in the direction they're facing, blasting through walls, injuring NPCs, and sometimes even starting fights.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Some people complain about not being able to change hirelings' appearance in Baldur's Gate 3, but I respect that the dwarf berserker woman has a beard and it isn't negotiable.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

God I can't wait for the bg3 xbox release:negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm quite far into FF16 and I love the fight where you (big spoilers)fight Bahamut in space as Super-powered Phoenix Ifrit. Also the visual callback to the flower with the crystal forming a flower around it's heart was a cool idea. I also like that some of the sidequests give some kind of unique reward, whether it's a unique upgrade like carrying more potions or a decorative item.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I was just bumbling around in No Man's Sky and got a distress signal from a place under attack by sentinels, saved them and then they asked me to become an overseer so now I have a settlement-management side quest as well where I mediate discussions, manage settlement debt, and build new buildings by putting in requested resources and waiting for time to pass in real time. Also later I got a little robot buddy to fly around with me.

Even better is that the settlement itself is on a shitpit where it constantly rains acid so I named the place Toxonia and watching the place go from somewhere that bleeds money to a place that may actually pay off its hundreds of thousands of credits in debt is pretty satisfying.

I am repeatedly impressed by how much has been added to this game since its launch.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The melancholy vibes in Norco are :kiss: Mad at myself for waiting so long to play this.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Playing Mary Skelter which is like a cross between Etrian Odyssey and Digital Devil Saga. It takes place in a giant living jail that has emotions that influence drops/buffs/etc, one of which is libido. It just occurred to me that it is literally horny jail (the game is obscenely horny, which is unnecessary but it's enjoyable regardless).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Lol, there are a lot of cute references in FF16 but one of the hunts is a very cute one. The Mageth Brothers

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Recently beat Stasis: Bone Totem, an isometric point-and-click adventure game, and one thing I really appreciate in it is how items you find are often used to solve multiple puzzles. A tool used to pry apart metal will be used repeatedly until it melts or something. Or at one point you get a dismembered synthetic arm. which is used first to snap a bear trap so that you can get something underneath it, then you pry that trap open, which gets you the synthetic skin which is then used to plug a hole. It feels a lot better than 'oh, I've used this screwdriver once on one screw, time to toss it'.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I know I'm about 5 years late but the ragdolls in Red Dead Redemption 2 are really impressive.

Dead guys will slump over on their horse as it gallops into the distance. A guy running for cover will fall and tumble down a hill as he gets shot. One time I shot a guy running away in the rear end and he actually reached his hand around and held the cheek like something bit him in the rear end as he fall on his face. They even do that morbid thing when a guy just kinda slumps over when they die instantly from getting shot in the head. As a kid who grew up with wild unregulated 90's internet some of these brought up memories of videos better left forgotten.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Today's XP challenge in Halo Infinite is called "Spartan-G313", requires you to mark 10 targets and get an assist or kill them. If you look that character up, it turns out his name is Mark. :haw:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Yesterday, I just remembered the notice board in Paper Mario. Throughout the game, the notice board in the hub town gets updated with Toad Town News of events and things you've done. This is fun on its own, but if you go behind the notice board, you can find the SECRET Toad Town Underground notice board with even more messages.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Bad news: Baldur's Gate patched in hireling transmog, so you can remove the dwarf woman's beard.

Good news: Baldur's Gate patched in hireling transmog, so you can give ALL the women beards.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Away all Goats posted:

I know I'm about 5 years late but the ragdolls in Red Dead Redemption 2 are really impressive.

Dead guys will slump over on their horse as it gallops into the distance. A guy running for cover will fall and tumble down a hill as he gets shot. One time I shot a guy running away in the rear end and he actually reached his hand around and held the cheek like something bit him in the rear end as he fall on his face. They even do that morbid thing when a guy just kinda slumps over when they die instantly from getting shot in the head. As a kid who grew up with wild unregulated 90's internet some of these brought up memories of videos better left forgotten.

Wow this really takes a dark turn at the end there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A good piece of writing advice is to always stop a sentence early