Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

TotK is $47 ($33 if you are new to QVC and use the code NEWQVC30).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408877&pagenumber=2318&perpage=40&userid=0#post534755224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Don't play through mostly blind, the best first thing Zelda says is "Link? Open your eyes, Link!"

Hylian royalty always has been incredibly ableist, hasn't it?

She should go easy on him, he's been mostly dead all century.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 22, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Good call on doing BOTW first, 'cuz once you've done TOTK, you're never going back

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kass is reason enough :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Good call on doing BOTW first, 'cuz once you've done TOTK, you're never going back

Yeah, I played Breath of the Wild for the first time this year and I was absolutely blown away by it, and was worried it would be too soon to play TotK when BotW was so fresh in my mind. Then I played TotK :stwoon:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

It really does make BOTW feel like a TOTK first draft/tech demo, it’s insane

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Meaty Ore posted:

I was terribly late to the party in terms of getting a Switch, and am currently playing through BotW for the first time, almost completely blind. I figured I should finish it first before moving onto TotK. It hasn't been too bad thus far: one more shrine and I'll be able to get my eighth heart, most of my deaths so far were to Guardians before I got the upgraded bombs (turns out horses can't outrun lasers either!), and I've spent a lot of money on clothing, the house in Hateno Village and all it's furnishings. Found three of the memories, and then ran into my first Lynel past the Lanayru East Gate. Jesus Christ. These guys don't gently caress around, do they?

Lynel combat is all about learning to do a perfect dodge. You’ll use a backflip to jump over their sword swipes to get a perfect dodge. Most of their attacks all have tells that give you plenty of time to react. It helps if you have an armor score of 60 or more. Use defense food too. If you’re fighting a mace Lynel, you’ll use side dodges instead of backflips. If you can aim quickly do an arrow to the face when he breaths in for a fireball attack or if he breathes in for a massive nuke attack. Otherwise run away to dodge both.

https://youtu.be/CiSwOkat_Uw?si=uH3KnJkSVQMX5e-r

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I cheesed the final boss fight with a lynel bow and gibdo bones. I regret it. It wasn't very epic.

I went to korok forest, found the master sword, then hunted down all of the dragon's tears, all before finishing the 3rd story dungeon. It felt pretty weird that all these people would talk about trying to find Zelda and I couldn't just tell them where Zelda was. Josha and Purah in particular. Well, I guess Link is mute after all. I wonder if the game really gains that much from non-linearity. TotK has more story than BotW did and there are story beats that have the most impact if you do them in the proper order, but the game just lets you do them in the wrong order.

I got lost trying to find the 3rd shine on great sky island. I didn't see the area where you can climb, so I just kept wandering. At that point, you have very few traversal tools (no ascend, no glider, no wings) and you can't even teleport back to shrines you've been to, so it was pretty bad. I also foolishly used ascend inside the temple of time, right before you are given the ability to teleport and got stuck on the roof (no glider, remember).

It's a bit strange that the master sword has been absorbing sacred power for the last 10,000 years, but it still only lasts a few hits before it needs to recharge. It feels even more fragile in this game. I've heard there's a bug related to that. I'm surprised they didn't patch it. It's weird that the triforce isn't mentioned at all.

Meaty Ore posted:

most of my deaths so far were to Guardians before I got the upgraded bombs (turns out horses can't outrun lasers either!)

The trick is not to run at them, but to run parallel to them as they are firing. On a horse, you should definitely be able to avoid the lasers.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 23, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Nebrilos posted:

I went to korok forest, found the master sword, then hunted down all of the dragon's tears, all before finishing the 3rd story dungeon. It felt pretty weird that all these people would talk about trying to find Zelda and I couldn't just tell them where Zelda was. Josha and Purah in particular. Well, I guess Link is mute after all. I wonder if the game really gains that much from non-linearity. TotK has more story than BotW did and there are story beats that have the most impact if you do them in the proper order, but the game just lets you do them in the wrong order.

I forget if I posted this before and I’m too lazy to look now, but this is my main gripe. If people want a direct path to the big bad, then yea sure make it so no story elements are blocking you from doing so; however, I’m not sure why you can’t gate keep major plot points with the temples.

The last line in the game is Zelda proclaiming that she’s home, like it’s supposed to be this epic build up to figuring out where she went and getting her back. Except I did all the main story beats with 1 temple and 30 hours into the game. Absolutely no build up.

Even if you wanted to keep the temples open, just make 3x tears appear per temple or whatever the math works out to be. Idk seems weird and basically nets out as a negative imo

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Cartoon Man posted:

Lynel combat is all about learning to do a perfect dodge. You’ll use a backflip to jump over their sword swipes to get a perfect dodge. Most of their attacks all have tells that give you plenty of time to react. It helps if you have an armor score of 60 or more. Use defense food too. If you’re fighting a mace Lynel, you’ll use side dodges instead of backflips. If you can aim quickly do an arrow to the face when he breaths in for a fireball attack or if he breathes in for a massive nuke attack. Otherwise run away to dodge both.

https://youtu.be/CiSwOkat_Uw?si=uH3KnJkSVQMX5e-r

Oh, I did beat it eventually, my process was to dodge his sword swipes, shoot him in the face with a bow, then mount his back for a few axe blows, run after him and repeat. I wish I had 60 armor, my best score was 21 plus whatever paltry amount the shields added. I tried defense foods, but between Link's low health (7 hearts) and low armor, they didn't help much. At least the boss at the top of the mountain was easy, even if I didn't go up with nearly enough cold-resist food.

Nebrilos posted:

The trick is not to run at them, but to run parallel to them as they are firing. On a horse, you should definitely be able to avoid the lasers.

I was trying to get away from them on horseback at first. I know to run laterally to avoid the lasers, but I find the horse controls seem to make it difficult. Getting Link away on foot by himself is a lot easier for me.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Secret to dealing with Guardians: the laser only hurts you if you're not parrying it back in its stupid face :black101:

The timing is pretty generous and as long as you're not standing right next to it, you can pretty much just wait for the laser lock-on to flatten out in tone, just before it fires, and the second you hear the little "ptsew" sound you can press the parry button to deflect it right back

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Don't play through mostly blind, the best first thing Zelda says is "Link? Open your eyes, Link!"

OTOH…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9wJO9D7668

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

I very much disagree; play through in the way you want. I did BOTW totally blind and had an awesome time with it, and I had zero interest in getting any outside help until I began a second playthrough. The magical, unexplored unknowningness of the game can't be regained after it is lost.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I very much disagree; play through in the way you want. I did BOTW totally blind and had an awesome time with it, and I had zero interest in getting any outside help until I began a second playthrough. The magical, unexplored unknowningness of the game can't be regained after it is lost.

Yeah but it's difficult to appreciate all that unexplored wilderness without vision.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Meaty Ore posted:

Oh, I did beat it eventually, my process was to dodge his sword swipes, shoot him in the face with a bow, then mount his back for a few axe blows, run after him and repeat. I wish I had 60 armor, my best score was 21 plus whatever paltry amount the shields added. I tried defense foods, but between Link's low health (7 hearts) and low armor, they didn't help much. At least the boss at the top of the mountain was easy, even if I didn't go up with nearly enough cold-resist food.

I was trying to get away from them on horseback at first. I know to run laterally to avoid the lasers, but I find the horse controls seem to make it difficult. Getting Link away on foot by himself is a lot easier for me.

If you want some stronger armor, the Hylian set that you can just buy in Lookout Landing is very reasonable to get to 4 stars / 60 armor. The only slightly annoying part is a shitload of amber which you can farm running around caves breaking rocks and killing Taluses. The Goron region is good for this.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there a way to figure out how many times you’ve helped Addison?

edit: and how many Korok seeds you’ve obtained?
It’s probably on the loading screen on the right, but I have no idea what any of those mean except the Shrine ones, and I’m 175 hours in 😂

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 24, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just getting around to doing the Champion's Ballad DLC in the OG BoTW and pretty drat disappointed in it not being what I expected at all to the point where I'm debating even doing it. I thought it was going to be some extra story stuff and some extra dungeons too do, not this one hit KO stuff that just feels extremely tedious so far trying to do and is not at all my sort of thing. Unless it like saves progress of enemies you kill or whatever in trying to clear out my camps I just don't see myself doing this and would just as soon watch the cutscenes on youtube. Like I'd like to do the extra dungeons that apparently come after, but hate Dante Must Die style modes in games and have little desire to beat my head against a wall on trying to get to that point. Really don't know why they had to throw that sort of thing at the player at the start and put the interesting dungeon exploration fleshed out back story of the champions stuff after that rather than the other way around if absolutely necessary to have that DMD aspect to the DLC.

Hopefully none of that bullshit in whatever they come out with for ToTK DLC.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 24, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Kale posted:

I’ve got good news and bad news about this

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kale posted:

Just getting around to doing the Champion's Ballad DLC in the OG BoTW and pretty drat disappointed in it not being what I expected at all to the point where I'm debating even doing it. I thought it was going to be some extra story stuff and some extra dungeons too do, not this one hit KO stuff that just feels extremely tedious so far trying to do and is not at all my sort of thing. Unless it like saves progress of enemies you kill or whatever in trying to clear out my camps I just don't see myself doing this and would just as soon watch the cutscenes on youtube. Like I'd like to do the extra dungeons that apparently come after, but hate Dante Must Die style modes in games and have little desire to beat my head against a wall on trying to get to that point. Really don't know why they had to throw that sort of thing at the player at the start and put the interesting dungeon exploration fleshed out back story of the champions stuff after that rather than the other way around if absolutely necessary to have that DMD aspect to the DLC.

Champions Ballad loving sucked rear end, I gave up the fourth time they gave me 1/4 heart to clear a field full of bees. Just complete unfun bullshit. OHKO mechanics are never fun and never clever gameplay

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Lots of people dunking on Champion's Ballad who never played its (excellent) dungeon or the sixteen best shrines in the game.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Poque posted:

Champions Ballad loving sucked rear end, I gave up the fourth time they gave me 1/4 heart to clear a field full of bees. Just complete unfun bullshit. OHKO mechanics are never fun and never clever gameplay

Glad I'm not the only one that wonders wtf they were thinking with this. Like yeah some people are into that sort of stuff, I know a few myself. The type of person that really puts a lot of stock into "bragging rights" and clearing super challenging, take you dozens of tries to get the perfect run and clear the thing Souls Like style gameplay. I'm okay with it to a degree when it's not tedious one touch death gameplay stuff, but not nearly to the degree some people are even then. I mean yeah those types of games wouldn't exist if they didn't have an audience, but IMO BoTW wasn't really that type of game anyway until I hit the DLC stuff. I personally just am not though and bought the DLC years ago based on the mistaken interpretation that it was a largely backstory/dungeon exploration based fun gameplay addition module as opposed to DMC hard mode challenge type stuff for a bit and then that sort of thing I actually want to experience, but is gated behind poo poo that is completely unfun to me in the extreme.

I blame myself a bit for not reading into what Champion's Ballad actually was a little more as well and just assuming things based on what was being talked about with it the most.

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Lots of people dunking on Champion's Ballad who never played its (excellent) dungeon or the sixteen best shrines in the game.

That unfortunately seems to be locked behind what I consider lovely unfun gameplay mechanics yeah

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Don't gate it behind tedious poo poo and maybe more players would get there

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm the world's worst gamer, and I managed to beat the no-health stuff. Granted, I complain loudly about it every time, but I thought the amount of fun on the other side of it was worthwhile. Still stupid design, but it's doable.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Poque posted:

Don't gate it behind tedious poo poo and maybe more players would get there

Just kind of a titanic massive gently caress you to people that aren't into what I at least consider tedious one hit kill mechanics that essentially get forced on you in order to get to the good stuff you actually came for and expected yeah. Again though, kind of have to consider the era the original BoTW came out during and what was especially trendy at the time in the gaming scene, but it still feels like a massive miss to me and something that should have been it's own EX quest like Trial of the Sword or Master Mode for people that are into what I call "hardshit" gaming.

Again though probably a lot of debate to be had here as there's many people out there that just don't understand that not everybody likes this sort of stuff, and that some don't find it fun in the slightest and also don't care one iota about bragging rights stuff or dopamine hits off of clearing literal zero room for error combat challenges and instead prefer the exploration and modest challenge aspects of BoTW.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 24, 2023

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I really didn’t like champions ballad and agree it felt against the spirit of the game. Along with the actual worst part of BOTW, the stealth section. I know people who dropped the game completely at that section. It’s like the designers had a Faustian bargain to make an incredible game but it had to have a section that would have felt outdated in 1990 as a required part of the story. So glad that wasn’t in totk.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm the world's worst gamer, and I managed to beat the no-health stuff. Granted, I complain loudly about it every time, but I thought the amount of fun on the other side of it was worthwhile. Still stupid design, but it's doable.

I dying even remember there being bees, I did that challenge mostly with bomb arrows

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fukkin' a.

Champion's Ballad was the best addition to BoTW that could have been given. Tons of fun puzzles, a big section where you had to be more thoughtful about how to go about beating tons of enemies because they could one-hit you, best dungeon in the entire game with an amazing boss, and the end reward gives you the best way to get around Hyrule.

edit: I mean yeah it's not for everybody. Hyrule Warriors is a loving piece of poo poo musou game (the dumbest, most tedious genre of game in existence, made for people who think that "PRESS BUTAN" is the peak of gaming I guess. But man the absolute vitriol I hear people talk about the CB DLC is wild to me.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 24, 2023

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kale posted:

Just kind of a titanic massive gently caress you to people that aren't into what I at least consider tedious one hit kill mechanics that essentially get forced on you in order to get to the good stuff you actually came for and expected yeah. Again though, kind of have to consider the era the original BoTW came out during and what was especially trendy at the time in the gaming scene, but it still feels like a massive miss to me and something that should have been it's own EX quest like Trial of the Sword or Master Mode for people that are into what I call "hardshit" gaming.

Again though probably a lot of debate to be had here as there's many people out there that just don't understand that not everybody likes this sort of stuff, and that some don't find it fun in the slightest and also don't care one iota about bragging rights stuff or dopamine hits off of clearing literal zero room for error combat challenges and instead prefer the exploration and modest challenge aspects of BoTW.

I understand that but I still like Champion's Ballad, OP

It's okay to not like it but it's funny to insist it's a miss and say that if there's a debate, It's only because people don't understand that other people have different tastes.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 25, 2023

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

edit: I mean yeah it's not for everybody. Hyrule Warriors is a loving piece of poo poo musou game (the dumbest, most tedious genre of game in existence, made for people who think that "PRESS BUTAN" is the peak of gaming I guess. But man the absolute vitriol I hear people talk about the CB DLC is wild to me.

Hyrule Warriors kicks rear end and there's more to it than PRESS BUTAN

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

robot roll call posted:

Hyrule Warriors kicks rear end and there's more to it than PRESS BUTAN

I really enjoyed the AU storyline for it. Gameplay was fun too.

Legit one of the most fun musou games I have played.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Age of Calamity kicks so much rear end

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's good but it tricked me into thinking I am able to do flurry rushes. When I went back to proper Zelda, I could not.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I loved original Hyrule Warriors because it came out during a Zelda dry spell and was also a big love letter to the entire series. Age of Calamity unfortunately just made me wish I were playing BotW instead so I could never get too far into it.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I wish you could continue playing after beating the main quest. Let me play in a post-Ganon world, where monsters no longer respawn, and me and my monster crew can go wipe out every last one of them, for real this time.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Yeah, lack of post-game content / world changes were the most disappointing parts of both games. Clearly, the 150 hours it took to there is not enough content. C'mon Nintendo, be better.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Slugworth posted:

I wish you could continue playing after beating the main quest. Let me play in a post-Ganon world, where monsters no longer respawn, and me and my monster crew can go wipe out every last one of them, for real this time.

Full-on genocide probably won't be necessary. A lot of the heightened monster activity (at least among the more intelligent ones) probably stems from a recklessness born of Ganon-provided resurrective immortality that went up in smoke with him gone. Bokoblins and poo poo will probably start laying low once they realize they don't respawn on a Blood Moon anymore and death is permanent now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

After seeing the vistas in the last Xenoblade and its expansion, I do wish Monolith got to take the reigns on a Zelda game and deliver something far weirder and grander than ye olde Hyrule.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 27, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Feels like I'm living a bizzaro life because I rented Tears from gamefly and I'm just not enjoying it as much as the first game - I think I like it considerably less, actually. They ticked all the boxes of "add more busywork" on just about everything. I prefer the more rudimentary powers than this gary's mod nonsense. It's neat in theory but I find controlling it with the gamepad frustrating. Fuse is cool but now every weapon is considerably worse because of ~story reasons~ so you have to use it on your weapons. It's a lot of fun using on your shield, though, so I'll give it that. Reverse time is alright and the ascend power is really nice. I'm not a huge fan of their recommended main story quest taking you to an extreme weather area without an easy means of getting warm clothing. The tutorial area stretched this idea by making you use consumables until you got the pants whereas in the first game you got the warm clothes from the king's spirit if you did a task for him before you even got to that snowy peak.

Not sure I'm going to complete the game. For every nice or charming aspect I come across it's bogged down by the parts of the first game I didn't like which are now somehow even worse. Wish they'd add accessibility options to mitigate or bypass them completely.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cold weather/hot weather only requires 1 piece of clothing and something like a ruby/sapphire fused to a sword or shield, I don't think there's any place that requires all 3 pips of weather resistance in order to traverse. At least not until well after you have found the vendor selling the armor + have the means to purchase it.

You don't have to really ever interact with the building system unless it's required for a puzzle. My dad spent the entire game running from place to place and almost never fast traveled for the vast majority of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Feels like I'm living a bizzaro life because I rented Tears from gamefly and I'm just not enjoying it as much as the first game - I think I like it considerably less, actually. They ticked all the boxes of "add more busywork" on just about everything. I prefer the more rudimentary powers than this gary's mod nonsense. It's neat in theory but I find controlling it with the gamepad frustrating. Fuse is cool but now every weapon is considerably worse because of ~story reasons~ so you have to use it on your weapons. It's a lot of fun using on your shield, though, so I'll give it that. Reverse time is alright and the ascend power is really nice. I'm not a huge fan of their recommended main story quest taking you to an extreme weather area without an easy means of getting warm clothing. The tutorial area stretched this idea by making you use consumables until you got the pants whereas in the first game you got the warm clothes from the king's spirit if you did a task for him before you even got to that snowy peak.

Not sure I'm going to complete the game. For every nice or charming aspect I come across it's bogged down by the parts of the first game I didn't like which are now somehow even worse. Wish they'd add accessibility options to mitigate or bypass them completely.

Yeah it was a huge letdown. Sky world was a complete afterthought with the 2-3 copy pasted configurations, the depths are just an amiibo dumping ground, pretty much every unique or memorable botw location is worse. Memories were a tired way of communicating the story especially without the amnesia hook and you can spoil the ending by doing the sword one first, they barely added any new armors and somehow took old ones out for no reason, the lovely gmod gimmick just means you zoom zoom over half the map, nothing in the game filters or blocks progress like the Guardians did. And the powers are so overpowered that you can accidentally break just about every shrine (though most of them amount to putting the square shape into the square hole due to how oppressively dominating the ultrahand and fusing gimmicks are anyway so it's not like you end up missing much)