Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Anyone at all be surprised if the Astros go 2-7 against the As and Royals twice?

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
haven't had to say this in a decade: at least we have the texans

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Astros will cling to the 3rd wild card, easily dispatch the Twins in the WC series, and a week into October they'll be the scariest team left.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm still anticipating a boring October slog to Atlanta vs Houston.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm still anticipating a boring October slog to Atlanta vs Houston.

O's/Braves is probably the most entertaining series. Astros/Braves would be a boring 5 game Braves win

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ms/Barves, Ms lose in 6, pick up ohtani the following year and win it all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chaos option: Cubs/Ms.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m curious to see what the Twins will do in the postseason now that they’re untethered from the Yankees, but the Astros are the powerhouse headed for a showdown with the Braves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Imagine a non-stressful October...

Magic number is five and so if we lose to the Royals today we have to go 5-1 against the Ms and Dbacks

https://twitter.com/astro_numbers/status/1705600681749471285

Our pitching has just collapsed in the last month, but that's not surprising since we got 2 rookies who have got to be gassed. As I feared, Javy's fastball got figured out (though it seemed to be elite again againts the Os last week) Rome keeps tut-tutting that the Astros shoud've added depth over the off-season but no one adds depth that can cope with 3 projected SPs going down and your big extension regressing to replacement level.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 24, 2023

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
it's going to be Ms/Phillies and you're all going to like it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The first specific baseball game I have conscious memory of attending was this absolute banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrqvjHhKaw&t=10s

In honor of that memory, I think I'll be rocking the Piazza jersey to the game today.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
The Toronto Blue Jays, following a 9-5 victory and 2-1 series win over the Tampa Bay Rays, have been mathematically eliminated from the MLB playoffs.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The first baseball game I ever attended was a Pirates-Mets game at Three Rivers in the cheap outfield seats when I was about 8. It was a blowout early and I pestered my dad that I wanted to leave for 2 innings before he finally gave in and we left in the 7th. The next morning on Sportscenter I saw Barry Bonds launch a massive home run in the 8th inning directly into my dad's seat where the guy sitting behind him caught it. I know you think I made that poo poo up but I swear to the baseball gods.

I never left a baseball game early again.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Please continue to underestimate the Twins, it's going to make the playoffs all the more enjoyable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mustached Demon posted:

Chaos option: Cubs/Ms.

no to both

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I saw Griffey hit two dingers in the King Dome.

Mariners still lost.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m curious to see what the Twins will do in the postseason now that they’re untethered from the Yankees, but the Astros are the powerhouse headed for a showdown with the Braves.

I have to keep reminding people that we were dismantled by the Astros most recently. Yeah, the Yankees, our historic nemesis, are out, but we can still figure out ways to lose.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Blooper back at it

https://twitter.com/blooperbraves/status/1706027533404107204?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I never subscribed to the Yankees/Twins thing. It’s just dumb luck. Playoffs generally favor deep teams and hot teams. Not mediocre teams that cruise into the playoffs in bad divisions. Which is not to say the Twins can’t do something. All you gotta do is get hot at the right time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

The first specific baseball game I have conscious memory of attending was this absolute banger

Hey mine too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY_-6EaR_8s

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The Astros will cling to the 3rd wild card, easily dispatch the Twins in the WC series, and a week into October they'll be the scariest team left.

It really does feel that way in our demented "lol baseball" world

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Is it too much to ask for three extremely easy games against Atlanta this coming week?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Poque posted:

Is it too much to ask for three extremely easy games against Atlanta this coming week?
You're dodging Fried, Morton and Strider so it's entirely possible

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I never subscribed to the Yankees/Twins thing. It’s just dumb luck. Playoffs generally favor deep teams and hot teams. Not mediocre teams that cruise into the playoffs in bad divisions. Which is not to say the Twins can’t do something. All you gotta do is get hot at the right time.

I can't ever remember the Twins heading into the playoffs hot. They seem to always clinch, go like 2-8 in the last 10 games, go into the playoffs ice cold and the guys who should be carrying the team suck poo poo. There is a legit reason to keep playing this year for the number 2 seed even though it's very unlikely to happen. Maybe that will make a difference?

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
Rangers sweeping the Ms and Astros getting swept by the Royals. Couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

If The Ms can take 2/3 against the Astros it all but guarantees the Rangers the division.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The AL Central also wasn't actually bad for most of the years the Twins lost in the playoffs

The real problem is that ever since Johan left the Twins haven't had playoff caliber starting pitching.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
This is as bad as this weekend could go barring injuries :gonk:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
For the late aught Twins' teams (2009 and 2010), the starting was thin. However, the starters have largely been fine under Falvey and Levine. They had Maeda (Cy Young runner up that year) and Berrios in 2020. In 2019 the playoff starters were also going to be good, the big hit there was the late suspension of Pineda. In 2017, the Twins used both Berrios and Ervin Santana (having his best season) in the one game playoff against the Yankees with disastrous results. The Twins haven't started an elite pitcher, sure, but they have had competent starting pitching and decent performances on the whole. In reality, it has mostly been the bullpen arms blowing it (good ones at that), or the offense not showing up. And, of course, Phill Cuzzi.

Edit: The Twins have averaged just above 2 runs per game over the streak *_*

Milovan Drecun fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 25, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

For the late aught Twins' teams (2009 and 2010), the starting was thin. However, the starters have largely been fine under Falvey and Levine. They had Maeda (Cy Young runner up that year) and Berrios in 2020. In 2019 the playoff starters were also going to be good, the big hit there was the late suspension of Pineda. In 2017, the Twins used both Berrios and Ervin Santana (having his best season) in the one game playoff against the Yankees with disastrous results. The Twins haven't started an elite pitcher, sure, but they have had competent starting pitching and decent performances on the whole. In reality, it has mostly been the bullpen arms blowing it (good ones at that), or the offense not showing up. And, of course, Phill Cuzzi.

Edit: The Twins have averaged just above 2 runs per game over the streak *_*

The run scoring is a problem for sure because you can squeak out a win in a slugfest maybe but "competent" or "decent" isn't "playoff caliber" imo. With better pitching (which they have this year with Lopez and Gray) they could/should win one of those games where they score two, three, maybe even four (if it's a good day) runs.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

The run scoring is a problem for sure because you can squeak out a win in a slugfest maybe but "competent" or "decent" isn't "playoff caliber" imo. With better pitching (which they have this year with Lopez and Gray) they could/should win one of those games where they score two, three, maybe even four (if it's a good day) runs.

I think you should go back and look at how those pitchers actually did in those seasons and in their playoff starts. They were at a relative disadvantage in regards to not having a Kershaw like guy at the top, but those dudes I listed were all playoff calibre starters, at least in the moment. The narrative is pitching, but it has been the offense from 2006 on.

And yes, they are better situated this year than years prior with Lopez and Gray at the top. It's more like Berrios should have been a game 2 starter, rather than their game 1 starter, that we can agree on.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think you should go back and look at how those pitchers actually did in those seasons and in their playoff starts. They were at a relative disadvantage in regards to not having a Kershaw like guy at the top, but those dudes I listed were all playoff calibre starters, at least in the moment. The narrative is pitching, but it has been the offense from 2006 on.

I did before I made the original post, you should raise your standards. All those guys you mentioned were at least one spot higher in the rotation than they should be if you want to reasonably be able to compete in the playoffs.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

IcePhoenix posted:

I did before I made the original post, you should raise your standards. All those guys you mentioned were at least one spot higher in the rotation than they should be if you want to reasonably be able to compete in the playoffs.

Im rolling my eyes so hard lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

Im rolling my eyes so hard lmao

I mean you edited your post while I was responding to agree with that so I don't know what else you want me to tell you :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think you should go back and look at how those pitchers actually did in those seasons and in their playoff starts. They were at a relative disadvantage in regards to not having a Kershaw like guy at the top, but those dudes I listed were all playoff calibre starters,

Ah yes, legendary playoff superstar Clayton Kershaw

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Berrios and Santana were both third starters in almost any other postseason rotation. That's the problem the Twins have had with starting pitching since 2007. The best guy is only average to above average. But there is no point pinning the postseason losing streak on starting pitching. They've lost in so many maddening ways it's unreal.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

N: Phillies sweep Mets

V: rules

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Love that the end of the reds and marlins schedule is puppy dogs lollipops and rainbows

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vlad is good again so the Jays rock

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ah yes, legendary playoff superstar Clayton Kershaw
how dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

The first specific baseball game I have conscious memory of attending was this absolute banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esrqvjHhKaw&t=10s

In honor of that memory, I think I'll be rocking the Piazza jersey to the game today.
the spirit of Blue Piazza carried the Dodgers to a 10th inning walk off :toot: