Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Touchless kitchen sink faucets, what's good? I'm looking at kohler but open to other options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Touchless kitchen sink faucets, what's good? I'm looking at kohler but open to other options

I have a kohler that I got from costco. It works? If power/batteries goes out I can turn a dial on the controller and make it manual and not touchless. Ours is set off by steam or by cats that figure out how to use it, so that could be a downside for you. It has made us want touchless faucets everywhere, now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

El Jebus posted:

I have a kohler that I got from costco. It works? If power/batteries goes out I can turn a dial on the controller and make it manual and not touchless. Ours is set off by steam or by cats that figure out how to use it, so that could be a downside for you. It has made us want touchless faucets everywhere, now.

No cats just a really stupid dog

I see cheaper options but I've learned my lesson on off brand faucets

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Japanese deep frying pot:

Curled rim to reduce spatter, rack on lid to let oil drip back into pot, thermometer, and a spout lip so you can pour out the oil later

It took me a while to find a good one of these on Amazon that was Japanese and not a chinese knockoff. Biggest difference was steel vs. aluminum. Mine works great, but the only annoyance is that there's a nonstick silicone coating that is easy to scratch when skimming out crumbs. All the scratches instantly rust bc. it's not stainless steel lol. But it's induction compatible (along with several either heat sources, some of which don't appear to exist in NA if I was translating the instructions correctly). Great purchase.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

On the same vein any suggestions on foot peddle for a faucet. Saw a youtuber with one and now I feel like I need one instead of trying to use my elbow after being wrist deep in a chicken.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
If you got the money, it's probably this one https://www.principlefaucets.com/

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Eezee posted:

If you got the money, it's probably this one https://www.principlefaucets.com/

I don't think I've ever made such a quick pivot from "I didn't know this existed and I need it" to "they want HOW much money". Brilliant idea but how on earth can that cost THAT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nephzinho posted:

I don't think I've ever made such a quick pivot from "I didn't know this existed and I need it" to "they want HOW much money". Brilliant idea but how on earth can that cost THAT.

Because $1500 is a drop in the bucket for a high-end home construction, even in the context of just a kitchen rebuild, generally.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Because $1500 is a drop in the bucket for a high-end home construction, even in the context of just a kitchen rebuild, generally.

I'm in the middle of building a house right now and am very very very aware of how these "drops in the bucket" add up real fast, both in the kitchen and in general.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Fuuuuuu, yeah, that happens to be the same one from this video where I thought of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWOVlButYg
I didn't even begin to think it was that much. Sure like $500 in addition. But 1.5k, geez. Alright guess I'll not use my foot...

I tried to find some on ebay with no luck. none of the amazon ones look as nice either *shakes fist*

Retro fit foot pedal ~$270 - https://www.grohe.us/Kitchen-Faucet-Spare-Parts/Touchless-Foot-Control-Retro-Fit-Set/GROHE-CHROME-30310000
Link to faucets - https://www.grohe.us/kitchen-collections/contemporary/footcontrol

sterster fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 20, 2023

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The one he mentions is taking preorders for just the pedal adaptor that you can add to your existing sink they are under $700.

https://www.principlefaucets.com/step

Edit: 20% off if you preorder, expected to ship next month. I’m gonna grab one, I’ll report back in a few weeks.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 20, 2023

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

I'm in the middle of building a house right now and am very very very aware of how these "drops in the bucket" add up real fast, both in the kitchen and in general.

Gonna blow your mind here but foot pedal operated faucets are common in commercial & industrial spaces and you can find a gazillion pedals with generic plumbing fittings, or full setups with faucet and all, that you could easily fit into a home kitchen setup that don't cost $1800.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 21, 2023

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

Gonna blow your mind here but foot pedal operated faucets are common in commercial & industrial spaces and you can find a gazillion pedals with generic plumbing fittings, or full setups with faucet and all, that you could easily fit into a home kitchen setup that don't cost $1800.

Care to share with the rest of the class? Everything I saw was about 100$ bucks and looked exactly like I'd expect from a commercial or industrial product. Aka chromed out and zero appearance consideration. Unfortunately looks and discreetness is something I'd prefer and I'm sure the wife would appreciate too.

Checking the pre-order cost it'd be $662.39 with shipping ( vary based on your location? ) & promo for the kit. Really considering it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fair warning - commercial foot pedals are dangerous if you cook without shoes. I made the mistake of wearing sandals outside of business hours and the soft skin on the side of my foot has yet to forgive me.

If you go cheap route, definitely grind sharp corners down.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Fair warning - commercial foot pedals are dangerous if you cook without shoes. I made the mistake of wearing sandals outside of business hours and the soft skin on the side of my foot has yet to forgive me.

If you go cheap route, definitely grind sharp corners down.

I cook barefoot, my kids are running around/helping, and don't want an eyesore. So yeah a lot of the commercial options aren't options.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

sterster posted:

Care to share with the rest of the class? Everything I saw was about 100$ bucks and looked exactly like I'd expect from a commercial or industrial product. Aka chromed out and zero appearance consideration. Unfortunately looks and discreetness is something I'd prefer and I'm sure the wife would appreciate too.

Checking the pre-order cost it'd be $662.39 with shipping ( vary based on your location? ) & promo for the kit. Really considering it.

https://www.amazon.com/AutoTap-Automatic-Faucet-automatic-available/dp/B0763DXW7P/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=AutoTap+Faucet&qid=1695354726&sr=8-2

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Thanks for sharing this option.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would be more interested in these things if they didn't all appear to be battery-powered.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Opinions on Made In pans? Specifically looking at the stainless steel 12inch frying pan and and 6 qt rondeau.
Need to be able to go from the cooker to the oven and take regular use.

They are half the price (in the UK) of the Mauviel I like which is great but I’ve seen Made In as sponsored segments of YouTube videos which always makes me a little wary.

Stupid Decisions fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 24, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Stupid Decisions posted:

Opinions on Made In pans? Specifically looking at the stainless steel 12inch frying pan and and 6 qt rondeau.
Need to be able to go from the cooker to the oven and take regular use.

They are half the price (in the UK) of the Mauviel I like which is great but I’ve seen Made In as sponsored segments of YouTube videos which always makes me a little wary.

Unless you don’t like the handle design or the price in the UK is prohibitive, I would go with something from All-Clad instead of MadeIn. I’m wary of all the instagram-ad cookware after Misen shipped knives with untempered steel that snapped in use. I just don’t see any reason to roll those dice when there are several reliable sources that have been making good cookware for decades consistently.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Since you are in the UK you should look at Demeyere as well. Shouldnt be more expensive than the Made In and is generally considered to be extremely high quality. Also they use welds instead of rivets, which is always a huge plus for me.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Lawnie posted:

Unless you don’t like the handle design or the price in the UK is prohibitive, I would go with something from All-Clad instead of MadeIn. I’m wary of all the instagram-ad cookware after Misen shipped knives with untempered steel that snapped in use. I just don’t see any reason to roll those dice when there are several reliable sources that have been making good cookware for decades consistently.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. All-Clad isn't much of an option over here, they don't seem to be set up for sales in Europe and the places you can buy it is way more expensive than other premium options. I guess the small scale importing adds a lot of cost.

Eezee posted:

Since you are in the UK you should look at Demeyere as well. Shouldnt be more expensive than the Made In and is generally considered to be extremely high quality. Also they use welds instead of rivets, which is always a huge plus for me.

Demeyere I haven't heard of before, thanks. It looks more in line with the price of the Mauviel than Made In but going to give them a look.

Think I will fond a shop that stocks some of these higher end options and have a look in person.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I feel like tri-ply construction levels the playing field a lot, almost any steel pan with two-ply is going to perform well and you should buy based on design (comfy handle, weight and hopefully flared rim) and cost

The set I have (calphalon’s first try-ply set) is one of the worst because of its relative thinness and it’s still great

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone have much experience with tortilla presses? I'm thinking about building a wooden one (out of hardwoods that I have, probably maple and ash)) after seeing a dude on Iron Chef use a wooden one. I've never used one and so I'm not sure about a few things - should there be any clearance in the thing when it's closed? How much force does it put on the hinges?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have much experience with tortilla presses? I'm thinking about building a wooden one (out of hardwoods that I have, probably maple and ash)) after seeing a dude on Iron Chef use a wooden one. I've never used one and so I'm not sure about a few things - should there be any clearance in the thing when it's closed? How much force does it put on the hinges?
Every cast iron tortilla press I've ever used was designed so that the plates are flat against each other (+/- tolerances) when the press is empty and closed.

In terms of the amount of force on the hinges: I could do a back-of-envelope calculation for you, but both the hinge and the pivot for the handle are usually like a 1/4 bolt and clevis pin (respectively). In normal use you're expecting that the cook might lean on the handle, but nothing more than that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SubG posted:

Every cast iron tortilla press I've ever used was designed so that the plates are flat against each other (+/- tolerances) when the press is empty and closed.

In terms of the amount of force on the hinges: I could do a back-of-envelope calculation for you, but both the hinge and the pivot for the handle are usually like a 1/4 bolt and clevis pin (respectively). In normal use you're expecting that the cook might lean on the handle, but nothing more than that.

Great! This is really helpful. All of the GIS stuff I saw, and the one on Iron Chef, had small hinges, but I get worried about screws stripping and getting lose when that type of force gets applied. I might do bolt/pin, and I might do hinges, depending on what I find/decide. Either way I'm going to go chonky.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Great! This is really helpful. All of the GIS stuff I saw, and the one on Iron Chef, had small hinges, but I get worried about screws stripping and getting lose when that type of force gets applied. I might do bolt/pin, and I might do hinges, depending on what I find/decide. Either way I'm going to go chonky.

Let me know if you want measurements or anything, I've one also. I think it's an 8" diameter but could be 6" (def 8" on tortinder).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

VelociBacon posted:

Let me know if you want measurements or anything, I've one also. I think it's an 8" diameter but could be 6" (def 8" on tortinder).

I wouldn't scorn measurements, but no rush either. I'm in the phase of design where I'm contemplating materials and things, so not up to dimensions yet. I think I was envisioning two 12" squares

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Though are there other good applications for a tortilla press? Seems like it might be good for making egg fresh pasta too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CommonShore posted:

Though are there other good applications for a tortilla press? Seems like it might be good for making egg fresh pasta too.

I doubt it. First of all, what pasta are you making that will fit comfortably in the size of a tortilla press? Second, flour has gluten and masa harina/corn does not. If you're trying to make flat pasta, you roll it out, you don't squish it out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

There goes CommonShore, squishing out another tortilla.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There are less decorative tortilla presses than I thought there’d be on GIS.

What I’m saying is you should make it look like a scorpion.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I got this one and have no complaints, feels quality and works perfectly. I thought they had an AC adapter option but that may have been another brand since I can't find it now.

https://biobidet.com/products/flow_faucet_up7000bn

I looked at Kohler but didn't see anything that justified the higher price on the ones we liked the appearance of. I ruled Moen out due to the terrible mounting method they use.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I doubt it. First of all, what pasta are you making that will fit comfortably in the size of a tortilla press? Second, flour has gluten and masa harina/corn does not. If you're trying to make flat pasta, you roll it out, you don't squish it out.

you can make flour tortillas in a press. not sure what problem gluten adds to the conversation. i'm not sure how you're supposed to flatten pasta without 'squishing' it, rolling is squishing.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

as for what pasta you'd make in a tortilla press, i could see doing like a fazzoletti or a ravioli i guess

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Borsche69 posted:

you can make flour tortillas in a press. not sure what problem gluten adds to the conversation. i'm not sure how you're supposed to flatten pasta without 'squishing' it, rolling is squishing.
Flour tortillas don't need to hold together when dropped into boiling water. Rolling out pasta dough helps develop the gluten.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Flour tortillas don't need to hold together when dropped into boiling water. Rolling out pasta dough helps develop the gluten.

yeah but you can also knead it. you knead flour tortilla dough too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I use a tortilla press with pizza dough to make pizza rolls—the kind that originated in West Virginia, not the fried ravioli-like thing from Totino's. The "traditional" way of doing it is to roll out the dough like you're making like a 14" pizza, lay pepperoni and cheese along the perimeter, cut into slices, and then roll up each slice from the outside in. That works fine, but for smaller batches I'll divide the dough into like (guessing) ~100g balls, let them rest until the dough is fairly relaxed, then flatten each ball in the press (using a cut apart ziplock bag as a liner to prevent sticking). Then each one gets some of whatever toppings I'm using before being rolled up like a wee burrito or something. Brushed with butter, into the oven, brushed with butter again, serve with dipping sauces: pizza sauce, ranch, whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Borsche69 posted:

as for what pasta you'd make in a tortilla press, i could see doing like a fazzoletti or a ravioli i guess

Yeah that's basically what I was thinking - using the tortilla press to make something like that thinner at the end after rolling it most of the way. I've been watching a lot of traditional italian pasta makign and there are actually quite a few rustic rough cuts that could be made like that. Even something like fussili - flatten it with the tortilla press, cut it up, and roll it around the skewer to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Maybe dumpling wrappers? But having made them the other day, I think again it might be done better with a pasta machine.