Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

syntaxfunction posted:

Bad games really live rent free in gamer brains don't they lol

Edit: I'm glad you're getting value out of it however you want tho :)

It costs 70 bucks OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Vengarr posted:

It costs 70 bucks OP

starfield is on gamepass

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The term "live rent free in your head" is extremely dumb because literally all thoughts live rent free, that's how thoughts work. Just the kind of language I'd expect out of a starfield-liker smh

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hmm I sure am enjoying Todd Howard's Starfield. I would stop to think about whether it's actually good but I don't want to pay the THOUGHT TAX. Anyway, back to Chunks (lmfao, every time...)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I guess it's just the sign of the times that every game that ships is just going to have break game breaking bugs. I just tried to play Payday 3 and it was trash in terms of actually getting in a lobby to play by myself. And also I was clicked through the map and died on my like fifth attempt actually doing the mission successfully.

Great video games have reached peak capitalism

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Making fun of bad things rules and I'm never going to stop

seriously i will never play this game and wasn't even intrigued by the trailers or whatever but i like reading about how it sucks

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
going to play dress up with my cat in ESO

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I just keep remembering that some percentage of the horse code from Oblivion made it into star Fields ship code

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
the last 3 posters itt have some interesting avatars, but its not especially surprising when all 3 of them love starfield and want to kiss todd howard on the lips

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

buglord posted:

the last 3 posters itt have some interesting avatars, but its not especially surprising when all 3 of them love starfield and want to kiss todd howard on the lips

todd broke my heart with all his unfulfilled Oblivion promises

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Boldly going where no one has gone before... except for whatever loser plonked down a pre-fab building full of pencil cases and succulents, that's currently full of yet more dickhead pirates.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

The term "live rent free in your head" is extremely dumb because literally all thoughts live rent free, that's how thoughts work. Just the kind of language I'd expect out of a starfield-liker smh

sounds like thoughts about thoughts living in your head rent free are living in your head rent free :smuggo:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to start sending invoices for rent fees to every company I think about

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

How much to you charge per mol of atp?
I didn’t pass chemistry so I need guidance to know what the market is like.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

buglord posted:

Something that I feel is sorely missing from Starfield is the ability to see some distant POI, set a waypoint to it, discover something along the way, get distracted, go into some mini dungeon, rinse repeat until you arrive. I feel like the ability to naturally explore was removed when they went the natural hubs and random planets route.

I would have gladly traded away ship combat for some single unified map that allowed that type of exploration.
Yeah, I think this is core to the value of an open world like this. You might even enjoy the procgen stuff as it's part of the journey.

If I was doing this I'd have like 2-4 planets, set inside a single solar system or even a gas giant moon system. Planets are like Witcher 3 regions. If you want lots of room and procgen you can still have that because planets are infinitely big as far as a game is concerned. Most of the time, you're journeying on these planets to get that incidental exploration.

You can use your spaceship to fly around the planets and if you go the moon route you can see the other moons in in the sky. Have plentiful reasons to visit other planets so you get the space stuff. You can add extra planets or smaller destinations like asteroids and space stations as DLC. If this is an AAA effort in 2023 it also has no business not being seamless so maybe you could like spot a big spaceship enter orbit and fly up to investigate.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Speaking of Cyberpunk, which I am also playing like others. Bethesda's voice acting directing is so bland. It was hard to notice while playing the field of stars, but now seeing soyberpunk in action I'm like whoa, these are CHARACTERS! They're like actual people. I can't tell you anything about the characters from starfield now that i'm not playing. Sarah was kind of a bitch sometimes I guess? Uh, Barret was goofy and vibes based.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Everyone but Sarah was a means to get credits. I couldn't tell you anyone else in the game.

But I sure know ulfric stormcloak.

Oh there was a scientist who was ALONE. I shot said scientist and became hated by the UC. I had to reload state of course.

But like wtf? Why can't I kill with no witnesses.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 25, 2023

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Do... do you...secretly like Starfield?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Sam has the Adam Jensen voice actor so he’s just Adam Jensen cowboy dad edition.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I secretly like Starfield but please don't tell anyone

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

Do... do you...secretly like Starfield?

hes posted approximately 15000 words about it itt

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

todd says starfield has over 250000 LINES of dialog, so 15000 words about the game is barely scratching the surface

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Sam has the Adam Jensen voice actor so he’s just Adam Jensen cowboy dad edition.

Somehow he didn't make Sam sound like ripoff batman like he did for Adam.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Vengarr posted:

It costs 70 bucks OP

I'm giving the OP the benefit and assuming they didn't actually buy the game tbh. If they tried it on gamepass or something and are mad then yeah sure. If they actually paid full price for it and are now gamer angry then it's a lot funnier and sadder but I don't think OP is that dumb lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

gently caress no I didn't buy this game. I bought a graphics card to play it, and that graphics card came with a free copy of the game ironically so I have two copies of starfield one original and one premium and I don't ever plan to Play It again.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Puppets are automatons that have their own aasimov's laws, like for example puppets can't lie. Except Pinnochio is a special puppet that can lie which lets him do things like bypass anti-puppet security systems, which just ask you if you're a puppet before killing you

You're guided by a magical lantern named Gemini Cricket

The loading screen says "now lying..." instead of now loading and when you die the text that announces it says "LIE OR DIE"

You save geppetto from a killer in a donkey costume and then you can put the donkey costume on Pinnochio

Every time you lie Pinnochio clutches his chest and the screen says "your springs are reacting..."

Your power comes from special clockwork organs called P-Organs and also a special robot arm like Sekiro

I don't know if I love or hate this. I'm gonna say "love."

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I don't know if I love or hate this. I'm gonna say "love."

It's a serious contender for GOTY even in The Year of Our Howard, 2023.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

gently caress no I didn't buy this game. I bought a graphics card to play it, and that graphics card came with a free copy of the game ironically so I have two copies of starfield one original and one premium and I don't ever plan to Play It again.

Good card?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

this game will be cool when a total conversion comes out that replaces all the spaceships with dwemer-built ones and poo poo

Wouldn't that have been an amazing twist? If Starfield was secretly an Elder Scrolls game?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I used to be a space adventurer like you, until I took a space arrow to the space knee.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

oh god, the universe is full of cliff racers

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

6800 XT

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Buce posted:

oh god, the universe is full of cliff racers

the flying aliens i encountered all had cliffracer AI. they would lock onto me and go way up high directly above to the point that you couldn't even shoot at them because the game doesn't let you look up at a full 90 degree angle. then they'd slowly start descending toward you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

the gameplay loop isn't very captivating but it's a whole lot better than that piece of poo poo they released that I paid $60 for

it's a good time all zoned out on weed

You know that's an endorsement of weed and not Starfield, right?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Time_pants posted:

You know that's an endorsement of weed and not Starfield, right?

I wasn't taking about starfield

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I'm sorry I'm zoned out on weed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
More like gameplay poop!!!1

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://www.pcgamer.com/starfield-glitch-sees-players-followed-by-rocks-forests-and-the-entire-city-of-new-atlantis/

Looks like more people are experiencing this bug now

Tired of new Atlantis being two loading screens away? Don't worry you can bring the whole city with you!

Tired of your outpost being too far away? Don't worry it'll follow you wherever you go

What a great game

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Something that I feel is sorely missing from Starfield is the ability to see some distant POI, set a waypoint to it, discover something along the way, get distracted, go into some mini dungeon, rinse repeat until you arrive. I feel like the ability to naturally explore was removed when they went the natural hubs and random planets route.

I would have gladly traded away ship combat for some single unified map that allowed that type of exploration.

It was such a strange choice to remove that element from the game. That's typically the main appeal. It's not like it's too technically challenging or anything. No Man's Sky does basically that and they're a small indie developer initially working on the last generation of consoles. That game has its faults (primarily that it's boring as poo poo), but man at least you could fly around the galaxy. Mission design doesn't even have to be that unique if you get distracted by a random event or a new icon on your minimap along the way each time. Nothing makes you feel like you're just completing a never ending series of fetch quests quite like teleporting from point to point with no interruptions along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

I secretly like Starfield but please don't tell anyone

i am also having a fun time playing it.

it feels like NMS, Elite and Star Citizen sort of all mixed together.