Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Aware posted:

That's gained views right? So 50m more views than last month still.

No, gained like "all the videos on the channel gained N total views".

The other way around would mean LTT was getting like 3 billion views per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ah ok that makes more sense

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
i think last year they showed that youtube is like less than 25% of their revenue. they make most of their money selling $200 backpacks and expensive screwdrivers. they'll survive.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Romes128 posted:

i think last year they showed that youtube is like less than 25% of their revenue. they make most of their money selling $200 backpacks and expensive screwdrivers. they'll survive.

I wonder how "We will not have warranties because people may try to make us stand by them" have affected those sales.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Still going strong as far as I know. They did at least respond to the backpack situation by including a basic warranty.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

little bit. I will be interested to see next month's numbers more, though.

Yeah, the downturn shown there was affected by the complete lack of new videos for a couple weeks. We'll see what their numbers look like after a full month of videos. I suspect not many people outside of communities like ours will give a poo poo and Linus will continue doing whatever he wants consequence-free :shrug:

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

Romes128 posted:

Some of the people I've seen maddest about this situation were people had been spending money on that ecosystem. I wonder how many of them just stopped. Like remember how many people unsubscribed from Floatplane? Probably not something we're not going to hear about for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if sales in general have dropped noticeably on their end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Linus’ 5G blocker video where he stops by all of his departments to meet happy joking employees is so transparent lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Romes128 posted:

Is the merch really a majority? For some reason I thought it was sponsorships, then private media creation contracts, then YT revenue, then merch. I’ve been wrong before, though!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Subjunctive posted:

Is the merch really a majority? For some reason I thought it was sponsorships, then private media creation contracts, then YT revenue, then merch. I’ve been wrong before, though!
Last year, maybe year before, they (LTT) said merchandise was almost their highest single source of income. Think it was middle of this year they said that it was the biggest so far this year.

There's a reason most every youtuber starts having merchandise once they reach a certain subscriber level. The markup on most everything is so substantial that even when the company that "makes" and ships it takes their cut, they still come out well ahead.

Like water bottles. There are companies spitting out blanks that everyone just slaps a label on. I'd bet they get the blanks for 2-3 dollars at most, then charge 20-30+ for them.

The cost for ground-up making something, like that screwdriver and backpack, yeah, they paid for that, but they made it back. It does look like they spread the development cost across the entire first batch they ordered (I know he mentioned how many of each that was, I don't care to try and find it), and I think they are now into their second one on both.

Bunker Branding is a company that a number of other youtubers use for their merchandise. It is owned by a youtuber, Demolition Ranch.

So yes, there is a LOT of money in selling what are essentially Dollar General level items to the masses.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Subjunctive posted:

Merch is high gross revenue. But you have to pay for the merch, shipping, and people who do nothing but ship stuff. So it's got the least margin.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Koskun posted:

Bunker Branding is a company that a number of other youtubers use for their merchandise. It is owned by a youtuber, Demolition Ranch.

To add to this, a content creator using Bunker Branding should be an orange-to-red flag that you're watching chuds or people accepting of chuds. They are not quality people to do business with.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Surely everyone will love Linus again after watching their blatantly transparent "pwease wike me again" video where they throw money at a computer store owner for no real reason.

I mean, more power to the owner getting a nice payday, but this might be their top video where they trade money for literal trash.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Romes128 posted:

$200 backpacks and expensive screwdrivers. they'll survive.

of course that's some insane margins when i can get a US made screwdriver for $1.50 in SE asia let alone from china

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Subjunctive posted:

Gamers Nexus has said multiple times the vast majority of their income comes from merch and Patreon. It’s part of why they put their own store as the sponsor on videos they expect to go big like the AMD one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

tracecomplete posted:

To add to this, a content creator using Bunker Branding should be an orange-to-red flag that you're watching chuds or people accepting of chuds. They are not quality people to do business with.

What's the inside word on this because the Demolition Ranch guy always seems to have avoided saying obviously chud poo poo

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Lil bit of a dip for ol linus

well they did kind of stop releasing videos for, what, two weeks?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
motherfucker

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1706168139812143455

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Did Linus just discover laserdiscs lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

priznat posted:

Did Linus just discover laserdiscs lol

i had one in the 90s and it sucked

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Palladium posted:

i had one in the 90s and it sucked

Yeah I never had one but I knew folks who did and they were nowhere near as good as DVDs even not counting the huge annoying size of the media.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wasn't the sound quality of media on laserdisc supposed to be like super good for it's time?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

priznat posted:

Yeah I never had one but I knew folks who did and they were nowhere near as good as DVDs even not counting the huge annoying size of the media.

everyone at least in asia was buying players for pirated content then and VCDs won for obvious reasons

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jiro posted:

Wasn't the sound quality of media on laserdisc supposed to be like super good for it's time?

yes, but its purported mythical superiority over high quality DVD audio, never mind Blu-ray, is greatly overstated

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The main thing Laserdisc had going for it was that it was invented in the late 70s and enabled fancy multimedia setups in the 80s if you could afford it

Dragons Lair and similar arcade games had Laserdisc players in them, and the BBC Domesday project used it a decade before Microsoft Encarta in the classroom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Domesday_Project

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BurritoJustice posted:

What's the inside word on this because the Demolition Ranch guy always seems to have avoided saying obviously chud poo poo
Probably goon prejudices. Because guys shooting guns for fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, but its purported mythical superiority over high quality DVD audio, never mind Blu-ray, is greatly overstated

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say laserdisc was higher quality than DVD, just VHS/Beta.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think Demolition Ranch is tied in with Leviathan Group who are a large right wing influencer & marketing group for a lot of the nuttier YT gun channels.

There is a thread in TFR covering Assholes & Racists in the gun industry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894692&pagenumber=393#lastpost if you want to enquire more knowledgeable info.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Randalor posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say laserdisc was higher quality than DVD, just VHS/Beta.

Depends on what/how/when was encoded

LD could support stereo/2 channel uncompressed digital at CD-quality or old school Dolby Surround, plus analog audio tracks

DVD supports CD audio depending on what’s encoded, or digital DVD audio which is superior but IIRC not every player could read it at first and AFAIK it kinda flopped/is considered rather niche as a straight up audio format, but most often has compressed Dolby Digital or DTS multichannel tracks with video, which are usually just as good if not better, but it often wasn’t seen that way. I’m not sure if your average included DVD stereo mix on a movie/etc is better tbh, but surround/multichannel audio undoubtedly so.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 25, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Giant optical discs are cool.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

r u ready to WALK posted:

The main thing Laserdisc had going for it was that it was invented in the late 70s and enabled fancy multimedia setups in the 80s if you could afford it

I thought it was older than that? I could've sworn it was created in the 60s but it's not like there was a commercial market for the tech at the time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

I thought it was older than that? I could've sworn it was created in the 60s but it's not like there was a commercial market for the tech at the time.

Before/concurrent with the development and rollout of LD there were a bunch of competing/similar formats including Phonovid, Television Electronic Disc/TED, Visc, DiscoVision, CED/SelectaVision, VHD, and Laserfilm that used a variety of different technologies and materials, etc. Some were laser transmittance-based, or they used a stylus like a record player, or were capacitance based like a primitive hard drive with a literal pickup on an actuator. Some were vinyl, some were film, many came in a caddy or cartridge like a giant floppy. A lot of them are on YouTube.

I remember my HS in the 2000s having some old language stuff on a caddy-based disc system, might’ve been SelectaVision. Sometimes if you’re lucky you can find weird dead format discs among the vinyl at Goodwill/etc

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 25, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I remember my HS in the 2000s having some old language stuff on a caddy-based disc system, might’ve been SelectaVision. Sometimes if you’re lucky you can find weird dead format discs among the vinyl at Goodwill/etc

CED/Selectavision used a caddy yeah, there's an old Techmoan video on it because of course he's covered a lot of these old giant disc video formats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, it wouldn't surprise me though, hence why I am asking. He seems quite nice himself but he has had some very questionable figures guest star.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BurritoJustice posted:

Eh, it wouldn't surprise me though, hence why I am asking. He seems quite nice himself but he has had some very questionable figures guest star.
I don't know any details as to who these guys might be, but given the topic of his channel, the pool of people to guest star is probably not the biggest, and the same time you want the popular guys to show up for views. Whether goons think that said people are literal Hitler doesn't really matter to anyone out in the real world.

As a more topical example of such people, take JayzTwoCents, who gets plenty of people in this thread in a tizzy, yet he's still fairly popular considering.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/VWQYEJwVYF4?si=fV-vrgzqymySNGWG

Muta is frustrating to watch, because he asymptotes right up to the line of “getting it” before the Gamer Brain kicks back in and he’s doing the whole “lazy developers” schtick that we’ve heard from internet smegma goblins for years

I’ve been thinking a bunch about this video recently, wherein the dude brings up the classic Hbomberguy CAD video from a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/xDPPig9JR5Y?si=sYhSUveC0V08CuiQ

Gamers are, and always have been, fundamentally incapable of seeing themselves or their hobby as existing within an economy or a society.

Everything that can be easily explained through critique of the current shareholder/private equity/post-low interest rates/etc model of chasing unsustainable growth and returns is instead chalked up to perceived laziness, hatred of art, woke mind virus, disrespect to the fans, etc, etc, etc on the part of shadowy unspecified individuals, with a bulk of the ire usually aimed at low level and creative workers.

And like instead of recognizing that the same forces currently turning mortgages into glorified rents, or making cars unaffordable, or bankrupting formerly-solvent companies with leveraged buyout debt, or driving the strikes in Hollywood, or driving the strikes in the auto industry, etc, are the same forces responsible for microtransactions, service/software-based game delivery instead of physical ownership, shipping unfinished games, shipping rushed games, crunch, the butchering of successful studios, the last minute canning of mostly finished games, firing everybody all of the time, etc (literally everything that they hate about contemporary gaming) they’d rather go scream at some customer service reps and/or trans people

loving depressing man

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

jisforjosh posted:

According to wikipedia, a Philips research scientist invented laser-based reflective optical disc technology in 1969. It needed many years of development to become a product, though - Laserdisc didn't hit the market until 1978.

For perspective the first functioning laser to ever exist was made in 1960. By 1969 lasers were probably still too expensive for the home. It's likely one of the development challenges Philips had to overcome was the creation of a small and cheap mass-produced laser.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Depends on what/how/when was encoded

LD could support stereo/2 channel uncompressed digital at CD-quality or old school Dolby Surround, plus analog audio tracks

DVD supports CD audio depending on what’s encoded, or digital DVD audio which is superior but IIRC not every player could read it at first and AFAIK it kinda flopped/is considered rather niche as a straight up audio format, but most often has compressed Dolby Digital or DTS multichannel tracks with video, which are usually just as good if not better, but it often wasn’t seen that way. I’m not sure if your average included DVD stereo mix on a movie/etc is better tbh, but surround/multichannel audio undoubtedly so.

This is a really good write up. To add a little, Laserdisc/DiscoVision* offered video quality about on par with S-VHS, but the audio ranged from basic 2D stereo to 1.5Mbit DTS, with various points in-between. On average it was an awkward format lying between VHS and DVD, too expensive to gain market share and too limited to be more broadly appealing than VHS. And flipping the discs every hour was not fun - I can’t imagine a format worse for series television.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

I was subscribed to LTT for a long time, and I still can't believe this isn't a parody.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BurritoJustice posted:

Shot (that's Brandon Herrera):

https://twitter.com/DemolitionRanch/status/1690577834245345281

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/DemolitionRanch/status/1705042640348045330

He's a chud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

lol